Barbara´s OMAD Journal

Replies

• katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Hi barb, 16 pounds in 2 months is fantastic. I lose super slowly normally also and with time I always get worn down and then when I resume my old pattern of eating the weight comes back on super fast. You worked hard to lose those 16 pounds and they are gone forever as long as you stick to the plan. I have hypothyroid, central sleep apnea, insulin resistance, completed menopause at 42, had a hysterectomy, high blood pressure, no gallbladder... ( geeze I'm a real mess ain't I ?? :#:o )....actually, I normally feel realllly good. . But remember what I said about that master computer chip in our brain? It's verrrrry smart and it can make us do what it wants to get what it wants.It's a master of diguise. It casts doubts in us so that it gets back to it's comfortable norm. It knocks us off our diet, then gets its fill and then relaxes again and then we are ready for another 'diet'. Ignore that inner negative voice and keep doing the simple thing you set out to do. Eat one meal a day...anything you want on that one plate, during that one hour a day. There's no other regimen out there that is more fulfilling. Everything is limiting. One time I had a stall on OMAD and I was like you, sure that I would gain weight if I had a splurge day and guess what? I lost five pounds that week. All I did was have breakfast and dinner that day nothing too crazy. But...I think my body said what's this? and released water in the muscles or something. I couldn't believe it. I don't plan on doing any splurge days everrrrr...unless I stall for a month or so. I'm like you...I'm afraid of them because it sets me off on a slippery path. Everyone is different...you just have to be honest with yourself and know what you can and want to do and what you can't do because it'll deter you. There's no secret...we have to just keep our head clear and keep going. As long as you like this way of eating keep doing it...it WILL work in the end.... And remember..."when you get down get up"...it'll clear your head the second you stand up. Ok...save this and send it back to me when I need it because....I'll definitely need it at some point. <3
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Thank you Kat... you see there are two ways of dealing with this... what you mentioned, a splurge day not too over the top or else you fast longer lets say 72h...
    I recon I have enlarged liver that´s what was told in OZ, dont drink alcohol for that to happen so its all down to fatty liver or poor digestion or excess carbs in the past.
    I can Omad for days on end and maybe not drop for months on end or else I can get things going by healing the cause of this, by removing excess fat from the organs and fasting longer can do this... so here is where I am at. Starting a 72h fast which will be my first one. Lets see how I go... Last night I was bitchy hungry and its all due to my poor food choices for the day...
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    I hope the 72h fast brings you some healing benefits, my friend! You've done 48 before, so 72 should be a piece of cake since typically day 2 is the toughest. Lol

And, I think Sarah's @minigrrll comments may help you see that you aren't the only one losing slow, except she's not letting that get her down. You know? And she loves to eat like I do, with no restrictions, I think our meals make us look like pigs compared to others. And I've only done the one extended fast all of these months. Why I seem to lose faster? I dunno, but I eat a lot and I also have had times of switching window to have more eating hours. I did 16:8 in the beginning-I winged it because I wasn't following anyone or with a group. Then I stumbled on Joe's OMAD, then in July I was 16:8, but it was pretty much by default and not intentional, I got carried away and kept it going, haha. I've been back to OMAD for nearly a month now, but with extended window sometimes. My body never knows what the hell I'm going to do, maybe that's why I've been fortunate. I'm sure my weight loss will slow down now that I'm not obese anymore, I'm expecting it and have made peace with it--and I will keep on trucking along with in the same way as Sarah, enjoying life, enjoying food, regardless of those slow losses. I have no intentions of ever saying, "Thank goodness I've reached my goal and am finished! So long anything to do with IF!!", nope, it's a lifestyle and I won't resort to torture to reach goal.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Bitchy and cranky, that's me on the second 24 hours of a fast.lol
    But only around my normal eating time of day. Once the next morning comes around I feel great.
    Good luck Barb
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    barbheart wrote: »
    I can Omad for days on end and maybe not drop for months on end or else I can get things going by healing the cause of this, by removing excess fat from the organs and fasting longer can do this... so here is where I am at. Starting a 72h fast which will be my first one. Lets see how I go... Last night I was bitchy hungry and its all due to my poor food choices for the day...

I hope your fast is hugely successful and puts you on the path to better health and easy weight loss!! Actually, I'm pretty sure it will.

Stay strong. There are others fasting right along with you.
  • katjustkat
    Thank you Kat... you see there are two ways of dealing with this... what you mentioned, a splurge day not too over the top or else you fast longer lets say 72h...
    I recon I have enlarged liver that´s what was told in OZ, dont drink alcohol for that to happen so its all down to fatty liver or poor digestion or excess carbs in the past.

Ahhh! Got it Barb...my bad. Doing the fast for health reasons is a good move. My sister was getting symptoms of a heart attack about a year and a half ago. I told her to not mess around and get it checked out. Her stomach was also much bigger than usual starting right under her rib cage. One day, she was driving and got the heart attack symptoms again. She remembered what I said and drove to the emergency room and sat in her car to see if the symptoms came again. Long story short she went in and no conclusive tests till...her pc doc got her results from her liver test. Was over 1000 count ( mine were like 47 and my doc said I had to get them down to 44 or so ...so I knew hers were crazy high). She had to go check in at the hospital that night. They removed gallstones that were blocking the bile duct. Then she had to wait a week and get another operation ( I cant remember what). But within a few weeks she was all better. Her liver had swelled to twice the normal size which is normally the size of an American football... she had 2 footballs for a liver and that was why her stomach was so big and starting at her rib cage. She's all better now. but...yeah...sometimes we are in denial of what we can't see in our bodies. I hope your fast goes by quickly and yo :) u get a fresh new beginning :)
  • barbheart
    Thank you folks for your encouragement and cheerings!!! I am going to fast for a while. At least I will carry beyond 72 if I reach those 3 days mark. Reading on longer fasts an their benefits and it might be what I need at this moment to clear things out and be able to Omad. I see Omad as my day by day routine and the longer fasts for clearing and health purposes. So I am not leaving Omad on the contrary I love it.
    Will be reporting so far I am only in my 32h of fast. I will be also cutting coffee and green tea and stick to water fast and I will not abuse water either. So far so good each morning seems better once the crancky bitchy side is over...
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good luck with the fast!

I think the health benefits of an extended fast are undeniable. I would love to do one, I just can't ever seem to find the right time. I.e. Every time I think about it I tick off all the excuses reasons why I can't do one: can't ruinmy weekend, can't not drink on the weekend, have to eat the food delivery food or it will go to waste, Thursday night is date night etc etc, blah blah blah! Hopefully I'll figure it out soon...

The reported effects it has on cancer cells is what interests me the most.
  • barbheart
    56h into my fast- Grumpy all day...not really hungry but...seeing my hubby binging all day is not helping. A training in endurance I guess... I am not sure what will happen when i hit 72h tomorrow I am either stopping here and Omading or carry on...depends on my spirit actually...dont wanna become a thin *kitten*... so not sure if I am going to get grumpier and grumpier without food LOL... I really would have preferred Omad to work for me rather than having to take more drastic measures. Today is my 60th day in Omad. total loss I recon 8 kilos without weighing since this fast started so possibly more but again the drop during this fast can be picked up real quick with a normal meal seeing how I am responding to this woe.

Maybe wanting to blame the cheese I ate during my sort of keto week... I seem to be in catch 22, no carbs, no fats no sugars... GRRRRRRR!
    Ignore this post I am angry with an A... actually not hungry
  • barbheart
    In case someone wants to criticise my grumpiness... the sign of a true great spirit is that you are grumpy you accept grumpiness and you KEEP GOING in spite of it. LOL! I know folks you wont criticise me on the contrary!.
    I keep going... sodd the grumpy!
  • katjustkat
    You go girl! I'm sure it's hard with other people in the house. You're doing your body good. :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    You are one tough woman. It's dam* hard to fast when there is a guy stuffing food and slurping and making chewing noises next to you. Lord do I know that!! It's exactly what starts my evening graze. Something I don't need and never want. But that husband starts eating at 7 pm, and if I sit in the same room (LR, watching TV), or if I go into the kitchen, I'm often right into the stuff.

I'm really lucky this weekend, no one home but me. I hit 72 hours in 1.5 hours, and it's all going smoothly today. So grump on, go outside and yell, take a long hot shower, whatever you need to get to 72 hours. I'm counting on you to finish your journey.

And what is this about cancer? Now that really interests me!!

• minigrrll
    56h into my fast- Grumpy all day...not really hungry but...seeing my hubby binging all day is not helping. A training in endurance I guess... I am not sure what will happen when i hit 72h tomorrow I am either stopping here and Omading or carry on...depends on my spirit actually...dont wanna become a thin *kitten*... so not sure if I am going to get grumpier and grumpier without food LOL... I really would have preferred Omad to work for me rather than having to take more drastic measures. Today is my 60th day in Omad. total loss I recon 8 kilos without weighing since this fast started so possibly more but again the drop during this fast can be picked up real quick with a normal meal seeing how I am responding to this woe.

Maybe wanting to blame the cheese I ate during my sort of keto week... I seem to be in catch 22, no carbs, no fats no sugars... GRRRRRRR!
    Ignore this post I am angry with an A... actually not hungry

OMG there is actually nothing that makes me more grumpy and b!tchy than sitting next to my partner in the car when i'm fasting and he is eating chips (crisps) that he HAS to have because he is "starving". All the annoying crunching... Grrrr.... I am impressed with your resolve to keep going!!
  • minigrrll
    amflautist wrote: »
    You are one tough woman. It's dam* hard to fast when there is a guy stuffing food and slurping and making chewing noises next to you. Lord do I know that!! It's exactly what starts my evening graze. Something I don't need and never want. But that husband starts eating at 7 pm, and if I sit in the same room (LR, watching TV), or if I go into the kitchen, I'm often right into the stuff.

I'm really lucky this weekend, no one home but me. I hit 72 hours in 1.5 hours, and it's all going smoothly today. So grump on, go outside and yell, take a long hot shower, whatever you need to get to 72 hours. I'm counting on you to finish your journey.

And what is this about cancer? Now that really interests me!!

Yes, it's the noises - they seem to be amplified! Ha!

Fasting and cancer:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815756/
    https://news.usc.edu/103972/fasting-like-diet-turns-the-immune-system-against-cancer/
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161212133654.htm

There's a ton of information about it. Some people do a 7 day fast once a year to try to prevent cancer. I could try to explain it, but I'd screw it up. It's all pretty interesting though...
  • barbheart
    edited August 2017
    Hello fellow fasters!!! thanks for the encouragements its 3Am can´t sleep...had a nap earlier on... I feel nervous but I am ok I can make it to finish my first 72h fast.. haven´t had any signs of detox maybe its too early...I am not even sure I have that famous metallic taste in my mouth. Mouth is uncomfortable but I wouldn´t say because of a metallic taste.

Thanks Sarah for the info on cancer. Have been all week end reading about extended fasts. Read the Fasting Cure by Upton Sinclair and other material.

Would like to do a longer fast to explore health benefits, I recon a 6 or 12 day fast would be awesome although not sure I could make it.... I am not there yet building the "fasting muscle" for the time being with shorter fasts.

I might have dropped an inch from my belly since I started this 72h fast. Unless its just the belly not having food and being less inflamed.

There is an eclipse crossing the USA tomorrow maybe this made me more grumpy? astrological stuff? Been really positive overall since I started Omad...so this grumpiness surprises me.

Thinking on how to break the fast when it happens... Maybe some chicken soup and a "keto-ish" meal to try and keep the ketosis going...
  • minigrrll
    I'm not sure about the metallic taste, I don't get it... I sometimes get a funny taste later in the afternoon, but it's not metallic, just kind of strange.

And I know I'm in "light" ketosis right now (at about 16 hours into my fast) because I'm such a geek that I bought myself a blood ketone/glucose monitor which just arrived about an hour ago. I tested myself and it was 1.2 which according to a website I just found:
    Between 0.5-1.5 mmol/L is light nutritional ketosis. You’ll be getting a good effect on your weight, but not optimal.

Will test again when I get back from walking the dogs!

Oh and my glucose was 5.4 mmol/L (whatever THAT means - will have to look up the levels later!)

I'm really kind of annoyed with myself for buying this (I talked myself out of it several times over the past month or so, then caved) as I'm sure I'll use it for a couple of days and then it will go to my gadget graveyard with all the other things that I HAD to have. I have a such a weakness for gadgets...
  • barbheart
    hahaha gadget graveyard! I love it Sarah that is exactly what happened with my fitbit bracelet... I am going to have to re-sell it... Now I know more less the steps that I do... lol dont like having an electronic stuff connected to god-knows what and where with a led light constantly flashing my meridian lines...
  • minigrrll
    hahaha gadget graveyard! I love it Sarah that is exactly what happened with my fitbit bracelet... I am going to have to re-sell it... Now I know more less the steps that I do... lol dont like having an electronic stuff connected to god-knows what and where with a led light constantly flashing my meridian lines...

:) I have a few step counting watch things in my graveyard. Not because i don't want to wear them though, just because I always want a newer, cooler one! I should really sell them...
  • barbheart
    I am not finished wiht my 72h fast, I am into my 68th hour,but its early morning here and I weight in: 135,9kilos that is 299 lbs well I am out of the 300´s! thats great!
    My hubby says I should be more happy but I am playing conservative as I know I could pick some up again. Plan to be eating keto this week to see if I sustain the fat burning mode from the fast.

I dropped 6cm or 2 inches from my belly but not much from the rest of the body, maybe an inch on the arms and legs.
  • barbheart
    Also since Omad I am going very little to the toilet...this could also be influencing things. I have been taking fiber (Acacia or psyllium husk) and green veggies and beans but still little bowel movements.