Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• baeya
    baeya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My first post here. I've just read all the posts since January 1st. This seems like a great group to belong to.
    I'm 58 and have struggled with my weight all my life. Done every diet. Even had lapband surgery. I was 204 lbs when I had the surgery in 2013. Couldn't get under 180 and stopped trying.

I started Keto July 24 and I've lost 7 lbs. I have tracked every single bite and haven't cheated at all. I'm a little bummed it isn't more but, I'm trying different macro percentages to see what works for me.

I've read the article that was linked to about the vitamins and how important they are. I've got my list ready to go buy vitamins and I need some help.

I have a bottle of 21st Century Women's. Some of the vitamins say they are 100% daily recommendation.
    My questions are...
    Iron.  18mg says 100%. Do I need more
    Manganese. As manganese sulfate 2mg says 100%. Do I need more?
    Iodine. As potassium iodide 150mg says 100%
    Do I need more?

I need to pick up B2 B3 and B5
    Also, Vitamin A, Carnitine and Q10.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    Congrats 4031isaiah! I am learning how to measure out 1/4 tsp of pink salt and swallow it like a pill. It still takes 6 to 7 small groups to get the 1/4 down, but this is better than buying sodium pills if I can get used to it! Anyone know where we can purchase larger grain salts? The 3 broth brands with O carbs taste terrible, at least to me. There are a couple 1carb per cup brands that I enjoy. But straight salt seems like a better option. I swallowed .5 tsp yesterday and it upset my stomach so I am trying the smaller amount with food. Anyone else had any luck upping sodium this way?

U could make an electrolyte drink with the salt if ur ok with Crystal lite drinks. Or u could grab a lime wedge and dip in salt and pretend ur chasing a tequila shot!
  • Sherm49
    Sherm49 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to keep things pretty simple. I seem to have problems figuring out macros for a single serving when I try to use recipes wth a lot of ingredients. Fixing meals are simpler for me too if I track everything separate. Anyone else having these issues? The diet seems to be working pretty well for me as long as I stear clear of desserts. Most of the Keto desserts I have run across still seem to have too many carbs. Am trying to keep it around 20g of carbs.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @dawnz75 - I love this brand Mag64 - https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Laboratories-Magnesium-Chloride-Calcium/dp/B00080CKBO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W6MJ6ERQWD0CBFT8TJ89

It is slow acting so does not have the issue I have had with some magnesium (um, disaster pants) I take that, and potassium at night to prevent leg cramps. It seems to work about 95% of the time.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a grinder for my Pink salt, so the refill bags have rocks about 1/4" in size. I just keep some in a small bowl on my desk at work and just grab one now and then and place it under my tongue and takes very till time to dissolve. If you don't like the salty flavor you can just sip water as it dissolves.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baeya wrote: »
    Hi everyone! My first post here. I've just read all the posts since January 1st. This seems like a great group to belong to.
    I'm 58 and have struggled with my weight all my life. Done every diet. Even had lapband surgery. I was 204 lbs when I had the surgery in 2013. Couldn't get under 180 and stopped trying.

I started Keto July 24 and I've lost 7 lbs. I have tracked every single bite and haven't cheated at all. I'm a little bummed it isn't more but, I'm trying different macro percentages to see what works for me.

I've read the article that was linked to about the vitamins and how important they are. I've got my list ready to go buy vitamins and I need some help.

I have a bottle of 21st Century Women's. Some of the vitamins say they are 100% daily recommendation.
    My questions are...
    Do I need more?

I recommend AGAINST l-Carnitine unless you are hyperthyroid. Carnitine intereferes with thyroid production, conversion, and uptake/usage. I found this out the hard way... So even if you don't have impaired thyroid function currently, this could definitely cause/trigger it. I only use it when I have huge muscle need (like when we moved office locations and I was moving heavy boxes all day)... @baeya

Iron, you shouldn't need more unless you've tested deficient.

Manganese - I've not heard of what signs of deficiency to watch for.

Iodine - absolutely do not do more than that unless you've tested deficient or have specific instructions from endocrinologist to take more. There are more problems from excess than from too little.

However, look into absorption conflicts for timing. A must be taken 12 hours offset from D, etc. CoQ10, I'm not overly familiar with, but the better type of A is from meat forms, not beta carotene...

B2, B3, and B5, make sure to get lower than 100% on these. B vitamins are easy to overdo when you are eating plenty of meat and when you're getting synthetic or 1000% and more in supplements...

Oh, and above all, if you've any type of impaired digestion, make sure you taking something for support, or you'll never digest and break down these supplements enough to absorb them...
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I checked in. I am 0.2 away from a full 20lbs gone but it has been a long winding road. I've been at it faithfully since the end of April and based on what I've heard from others, I expected to have lost double by now.

It was depressing for awhile but I have since come to the conclusion that it's probably better for me that it was a slow process because I probably would have taken the loss and then went back to my normal way eating. This way, I had to decide whether or not I was using Keto as a diet or a way of life.

I chose a way of life because of the other benefits that go above and beyond the scale. My mind is made up and I'm in it for the long haul. If I eat this way forever, that means I'm guaranteed to reach my goal eventually and the pressure is off to meet targets and timelines and I get to say goodbye to psoriasis, inflammation and digestive issues in the meantime.

I'm not yet where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be!

I've come to the same conclusions! I think it's a good decision for many people.
  • baeya
    baeya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    baeya wrote: »

My questions are...
    Do I need more?

I recommend AGAINST l-Carnitine unless you are hyperthyroid. Carnitine intereferes with thyroid production, conversion, and uptake/usage. I found this out the hard way... So even if you don't have impaired thyroid function currently, this could definitely cause/trigger it. I only use it when I have huge muscle need (like when we moved office locations and I was moving heavy boxes all day)... @baeya

Iron, you shouldn't need more unless you've tested deficient.

Manganese - I've not heard of what signs of deficiency to watch for.

Iodine - absolutely do not do more than that unless you've tested deficient or have specific instructions from endocrinologist to take more. There are more problems from excess than from too little.

However, look into absorption conflicts for timing. A must be taken 12 hours offset from D, etc. CoQ10, I'm not overly familiar with, but the better type of A is from meat forms, not beta carotene...

B2, B3, and B5, make sure to get lower than 100% on these. B vitamins are easy to overdo when you are eating plenty of meat and when you're getting synthetic or 1000% and more in supplements...

Oh, and above all, if you've any type of impaired digestion, make sure you taking something for support, or you'll never digest and break down these supplements enough to absorb them...

@KnitorMiss ... Thank you so much for that information. I think I'm just gonna stick with a multivitamin! Lol! I just wish the weight would start to come off. Now I am starting to get sick. I have adenovirus with all kinds of stuff going on. Ugh. Going to stay alone and in bed all weekend. Maybe a 3 day fast will take a pound off. So discouraged.
  • FitBride080611
    FitBride080611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm new to this community part of mfp and just started keto a few days ago and already lost 5 pounds! I'm looking forward to this journey esp since I found this group!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Back from family vacay....great trip in many ways, but yikes!!!, all food issues resurfaced big time. Oh well. Now it's over and I see only smooth sailing in front of me which is what I seem to need to nail this keto thing. Still haven't gotten the hang of doing life and doing keto simultaneously...though it is still my ultimate goal.
    One of these days....I'm gonna get it done right. Kind of afraid to get on the scale to log in the reality numbers. I firmly suspect damage in poundage. First I'm going to catch up on sleep and recover emotionally, then face the music...maybe tomorrow or Monday. I even stayed home last night instead of going to dance night in order to avoid any further drama and stress to my overstressed system. I think that qualifies as a healthy, self care decision! Wow! Yay me.
    Then... I'll get right back on the keto horse, which may even feel like a big, refreshing relief to me at this point.
    Deep breath. Clean slate.
    So glad to be home.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day!
  • elize7
    Options
    At midnight, mercury retrograde ends. Am so looking forward to that moment. Never had more setbacks and kinks in plans and weird stuff happen than the past three weeks.
    So anyway, back on keto today. Did some yoga, took a communication risk that went okay and all in all am happy with this day.
    Funny how a good keto day makes everything feel right. And foreword moving planetary action doesn't hurt.
    Feeling some good vibes out there, pals.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Communication risk?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I've been doing surprisingly well. I actually have no desire to eat sweets or junk food.

My biggest battle this summer was sweet corn. We live near a farm that sells fresh picked corn on the cob and man oh man! I could eat it by the truck load. Any other year, we would have had fresh corn every day for the entire season.

I only caved 3 times this summer but I'm a "go big or go home" type of girl and I went big all 3 times with either 3 or 4 ears each time. I literally have to force myself to stay away from that farm. I'll actually be glad when the season ends.

Oh the carbs...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @4031isaiah - I'm with you on that. Corn is a huge stumbling block for me. I won't go into a description to be mean, but suffice it to say I'm having luxurious day dreams at the moment. LOL I'm glad you're doing it as you are. I'm inclined to believe a once a month? or so blip like that isn't going to be the end of the universe. Good for you on figuring how to make it work for you...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Back from family vacay....great trip in many ways, but yikes!!!, all food issues resurfaced big time. Oh well. Now it's over and I see only smooth sailing in front of me which is what I seem to need to nail this keto thing. Still haven't gotten the hang of doing life and doing keto simultaneously...though it is still my ultimate goal.
    One of these days....I'm gonna get it done right. Kind of afraid to get on the scale to log in the reality numbers. I firmly suspect damage in poundage. First I'm going to catch up on sleep and recover emotionally, then face the music...maybe tomorrow or Monday. I even stayed home last night instead of going to dance night in order to avoid any further drama and stress to my overstressed system. I think that qualifies as a healthy, self care decision! Wow! Yay me.
    Then... I'll get right back on the keto horse, which may even feel like a big, refreshing relief to me at this point.
    Deep breath. Clean slate.
    So glad to be home.

elize7 wrote: »
    At midnight, mercury retrograde ends. Am so looking forward to that moment. Never had more setbacks and kinks in plans and weird stuff happen than the past three weeks.
    So anyway, back on keto today. Did some yoga, took a communication risk that went okay and all in all am happy with this day.
    Funny how a good keto day makes everything feel right. And foreword moving planetary action doesn't hurt.
    Feeling some good vibes out there, pals.

@elize7 - I'm glad you're back. I'm sorry you had such a hard time with it... Excellent call on the self care!! Heal the overstressed system. Absolutely! I hadn't realized Mercury was in retrograde, but that explains a lot! I'm glad you're feeling good and that your communication went well...

I'm glad you find your stride with keto... (HUGS)
  • elize7
    Options
    Thanks, Knit! Feels good to be back! Another good keto day under my belt. Getting ready for my keto energy rush! That will be heavenly.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @4031isaiah - I'm with you on that. Corn is a huge stumbling block for me. I won't go into a description to be mean, but suffice it to say I'm having luxurious day dreams at the moment. LOL I'm glad you're doing it as you are. I'm inclined to believe a once a month? or so blip like that isn't going to be the end of the universe. Good for you on figuring how to make it work for you...

Ha ha! I've hardly got it figured out. I just only caved 3 times instead of 20 but I still ate 50-70g of carbs in each sitting. If only it wasn't so crisp and juicy or so darn sweet! It didn't even need butter or salt.
  • elize7
    Options
    Christie...the risk was to text someone I'm dating without waiting for them to go first.. Scary for old school me, but I did get a decent reply...