Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Still hanging in there. The next few pounds I lose will break me free of the 10 pound yo yo zone I've been stuck in for 3 1/2 months, and I'm hoping will really kick me into a high level of motivation!

The next couple of weeks look to be very interesting and challenging in a good way for me.
    Still feel like I'm finally getting back to a good place for keto successes. Sometimes just staying in the game regardless of multiple false starts is all you can do. The pay off is when it feels like it clicks back into place! Hallelujah!!
    Would love another pound gone tomorrow. Sure have been losing enough water today for that to happen....so, fingers are crossed. (a whoosh would be great, too!)
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ugh! I'm heading into week 8 of Keto and still struggling with headaches and water retention. I can't seem to catch a break.
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sarag78 wrote: »
    Hi all! I am new to the Keto diet, and am only on week 2. So far so good, but if anyone has tips on easy snacks to take to work that isn't too high in protein, I am all ears!

Should not need to snack, so just stick with a good lunch.
  • havisham
    havisham Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @JessIsOK all the best with Nursing, so much you can do with that. I got the recipe from ruled.me it's the best one I have tried, it's better slightly undercooked than over cooked. https://ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/
  • elize7
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Christie, what is your carb limit? I feel like I retain water at anything over 19-20 carbs. (darn)
    Also, I learned that hidden carbs in diet drinks or artificial sweetners listed as zero actually might have almost one carb in it; and after drinking lots of glasses of them..that builds up. Also portion size even in things like broccoli can add a few carbs here or there even if it seems harmless, and coffee creamer if i had an extra cup or two beyond plan, or didn't measure how much I poured. These little things can pile up and stop my progress altogether (maybe there are some hidden carbs in your go-to foods)...though I will own up to having a really damaged-by- yoyo-dieting metabolism.
    Also, I found that I have a very low calorie threshold. Way lower than recommended, but I was never healthier according to bloodwork and energy levels than when I was losing at that low level.
    I also found that I did better keeping my fat consumption macros at a little less than most are able to do, but still keeping them predominant on the Fitness Pal macro pie chart.
    Don't know if this helps, but I find I constantly have to watch out for these things. Really for awhile I was having maybe 30 carbs daily and gaining. (not that many carbs really!!) Took it down to 17 carbs for a couple days and the water just flowed out for about two days straight! Lol. (Laughing about number of bathroom trips as well as happy laughing as I'm losing again.)
    Hope you get this figured out soon. It is all so extremely exasperating at times!! ❤

P.S. About the headaches. I have two bouillion servings daily as well as store bought multi vitamin, potassium and magnesium supplements EVERY day. Nothing fancy.

If I forget, I get headaches, leg cramps or restless leg creepy crawlies, and feel like crap.
    When I take them, I feel. good
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Christie, what is your carb limit? I feel like I retain water at anything over 19-20 carbs. (darn)
    Also, I learned that hidden carbs in diet drinks or artificial sweetners listed as zero actually might have almost one carb in it; and after drinking lots of glasses of them..that builds up. Also portion size even in things like broccoli can add a few carbs here or there even if it seems harmless, and coffee creamer if i had an extra cup or two beyond plan, or didn't measure how much I poured. These little things can pile up and stop my progress altogether (maybe there are some hidden carbs in your go-to foods)...though I will own up to having a really damaged-by- yoyo-dieting metabolism.
    Also, I found that I have a very low calorie threshold. Way lower than recommended, but I was never healthier according to bloodwork and energy levels than when I was losing at that low level.
    I also found that I did better keeping my fat consumption macros at a little less than most are able to do, but still keeping them predominant on the Fitness Pal macro pie chart.
    Don't know if this helps, but I find I constantly have to watch out for these things. Really for awhile I was having maybe 30 carbs daily and gaining. (not that many carbs really!!) Took it down to 17 carbs for a couple days and the water just flowed out for about two days straight! Lol. (Laughing about number of bathroom trips as well as happy laughing as I'm losing again.)
    Hope you get this figured out soon. It is all so extremely exasperating at times!! ❤

P.S. About the headaches. I have two bouillion servings daily as well as store bought multi vitamin, potassium and magnesium supplements EVERY day. Nothing fancy.

If I forget, I get headaches, leg cramps or restless leg creepy crawlies, and feel like crap.

This is awesome info @elize7. Thanks! My carb count was aimed at 20-25 and I recently upped it to 30. I'm typing this to you today with a headache and puffy swollen fingers from fluid retention. It's so bad, I can hardly spin my rings and I'm sure I couldn't get them off if I tried.

I was drinking two bouillon cubes daily as well but I still experienced headaches (sometimes worse after drinking it) so I stopped. I thought it might have had something to do with the MSG that is found in almost all store bought broth/bouillon. I've been trying to get my sodium from pickles and pickle juice instead but that can be a bit harder on my stomach so I'm not consistent with it.

What kind of bouillon do you use?

As for other supplements, I also take a multivitamin, potassium, calcium and magnesium citrate everyday. I just ran out of multivitamins this week and am debating whether or not to buy more.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three of low carb and working my way to keto-level carbs!
    For the first two days I thought I was supposed to limit to 20 *percent* carbs (which is about 90g for me).
    However, I just realized last night that it's not 20 percent, it's 20 grams! eep!
    I will lower them slowly. 50g today and tomorrow, and then a little lower, a little lower... like the limbo :smile:
    I do personally really love fruit, and believe that it is good for me... so that might be where most of my carb count comes from! haha
    So far I am feeling really great! A little thirsty, but sleeping well, not too hungry... and counting every bite in MFP :)

I have 115 lbs to lose, so I would love some long-haul keto buddies for support - feel free to add me :)
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Wouldn't this come down to preference?
    I would rather have 5-6 small meals per day (small meal, snack, small meal, snack, small meal, snack) than go hours without eating. Even if it's just celery & pb or a couple slices of deli meat with cherry tomatoes... I like to have something small in between meals. I find if I have small, healthy snacks between meals I am more successful in staying away from sweets or wheat. (So, my question is, is there a reason for not snacking? Does it not simply come down to personal preference?)

:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options

Wouldn't this come down to preference?
    I would rather have 5-6 small meals per day (small meal, snack, small meal, snack, small meal, snack) than go hours without eating. Even if it's just celery & pb or a couple slices of deli meat with cherry tomatoes... I like to have something small in between meals. I find if I have small, healthy snacks between meals I am more successful in staying away from sweets or wheat. (So, my question is, is there a reason for not snacking? Does it not simply come down to personal preference?)

:)

I think that the thought to the answer has to do more with being satiated with eating a keto diet. Also the thought process of training yourself to eat only when hungry, truly hungry not thirsty which has the same body stomach grumbling. The reason people are successful in losing weight with keto is that fat is very satiating and you do not feel the need to snack.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am stuck on a plateau. This is usually the lowest that I get. But at least I am not at my heaviest.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    elize7 wrote: »

This is awesome info @elize7. Thanks! My carb count was aimed at 20-25 and I recently upped it to 30. I'm typing this to you today with a headache and puffy swollen fingers from fluid retention. It's so bad, I can hardly spin my rings and I'm sure I couldn't get them off if I tried.

I was drinking two bouillon cubes daily as well but I still experienced headaches (sometimes worse after drinking it) so I stopped. I thought it might have had something to do with the MSG that is found in almost all store bought broth/bouillon. I've been trying to get my sodium from pickles and pickle juice instead but that can be a bit harder on my stomach so I'm not consistent with it.

What kind of bouillon do you use?

As for other supplements, I also take a multivitamin, potassium, calcium and magnesium citrate everyday. I just ran out of multivitamins this week and am debating whether or not to buy more.

@4031isaiah - Have you had your thyroid tested recently? I learned in the last year that unusual or "out of nowhere" or "inexplicable" swelling is very often thyroid related, generally under-functioning in some regard. I hadn't realized it until a week where I had appts with my Endo and my PCP in the same week, offhandledly mentioned leg swelling to them, and they both freaked out, wanted tests on my numbers, and increased my meds...
  • JessIsOK
    JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm having a day, emotionally. I'm not necessary sad, just not happy. Here's why: I was tagged in a picture that was taken at a concert last week in my neighborhood and I look enormous and uncomfortable and just awful. What makes it worse is that, when that picture was taken, I was actually feeling good about myself because I'd fit into a pair of shorts that were too small last summer. Add to that the fact that I got on the scale this morning for my second weigh-in on keto and was only down 0.7 lbs. Now, I know, I KNOW that a loss is a loss and I shouldn't be too distraught by it, but dang it, it's just disappointing to have such a small loss when I have so much to lose and when I've been so meticulous about putting everything into MFP. I'll recover and go back to my optimistic self, I'm just feeling a smidge sorry for myself this morning. Sigh... LOL.

@havisham, thank you! It probably sounds weird to say, but I'm actually looking forward to getting laid off so I can get the fresh start. Plus I'll get to wear scrubs to work. :wink: Thank you for the link to the keto mug cake. That sounds amazing.

@River_Goddess, I sent you a friend request. I have close to 100 lbs to lose, so I'm gonna be here a while. :smile:

Hope everyone has a good day!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    New week but, the grass keeps growing so I will be out mowing again this week. Always something to do when you are retired! Still trying to adjust my eating to find out what my sweet spot for carbs and calories is! It's a little more complicated with trying to build muscle and increase my weight lifting amounts. So nice to have the help of everyone on MFP!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @JessIsOK sorry to hear that you are having a bad day. We truly are our own worst critics. Try and remind yourself that at the time you were feeling GOOD and you have a lot to be excited about if you were wearing shorts that didn't fit last year. Be sure to keep taking measurements because often the scale is a liar liar pants :smiley:
  • elize7
    Options
    Getting the keto job done! New low weight this morning. The Trend number is lagging, but I only refer to that on gain days, which are usually due to water retention from alcohol, which means bigtime retention.

Feeling relieved that progress is going well, pounds are dropping off...maybe 17.6 total left. I've lost 8.2 so far on this reloss campaign.
    I have no work this week, which is never a good thing for me, because my thoughts can get negative quick. I plan to rest, nap, shop&coffee in the hip local area near me, play catch up in my neglected home, see a friend from out of town...just no dwelling on the past or worry about the future.

To start this day, I'm going to finish my cup of coffee...then take a nice little nap. Still tuckered out big time from dancing and walking around Fenway all weekend.

Mini staycation is officially commencing!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yay for all the good stuff here. Kudos to everyone for continuing to keep swing at it!

(HUGS) to @JessIsOK @elize7 and anyone else struggling today! Bolstering thoughts, too...
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am not new to low carb (was doing low carb, high protein and moderate fat) but I am new to low carb (20 grams), high fat (133 grams) and moderate protein (80 grams). My daily calorie allowance is 1500 with 4 days at the gym (2 days of Body Pump classes and 2 days of heavy weight lifting). I am only on week two and I am feeling good with more energy than I had before with low carb and low fat.

I am still trying to figure out Keto though.. how many of you are doing low carb and high fat?
  • JessIsOK
    JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 and @KnitOrMiss, thank you both for your uplifting words and thoughts! I'm done pouting today, and am feeling much better. The fact is, I'm actually enjoying the food I'm eating, and there are way too many success stories out there for me to doubt whether or not keto works, so I'm going to just keep ketoing on. :smile:

@elize7, enjoy your mini staycation! Your plan for the day sounds like perfection.

@richarddavis196, that's fantastic news! Way to go!

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am so confused with the numerous different Keto plans out there.. what is everyone's macros for losing excess fat?