Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    PATSY, in answer to your query:

In 1605 13 catholic conspirators including Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the British House of Lords along with king James 1st. Guy Fawkes was discovered in the cellars with a huge amount of gunpowder.

The holiday, 5th November is always held to remind us that it's not a good idea to blow up parliament wherever you live.

Guy Fawkes was to be hung, drawn and quartered after being tortured. However, he fell on his way up the ladder to the scaffold, broke his neck and thus saved himself the agony of being drawn and quartered.

Interestingly, he was born in York, which is the capital of the county of Yorkshire.
    Anne
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Bad news on the furnace. It couldn't be replaced and it could be days or even weeks before it's replaced. Not sure what to do if it gets really cold, but don't intend staying with the kids, will keep you posted. I've got a baseboard heater for now. Anne.
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've been gone a long time and just wanted to say hi
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    jacean2017 wrote: »
    Bad news on the furnace. It couldn't be replaced and it could be days or even weeks before it's replaced. Not sure what to do if it gets really cold, but don't intend staying with the kids, will keep you posted. I've got a baseboard heater for now. Anne.

Oh no!! Have your sons bring you several more electric heaters. The Dyson bladeless is wonderful. Meanwhile, staying with someone might be an option to consider if a new furnace cannot be installed promptly.

Lin

• jacean2017
    Options
    New furnace to be installed Thursday, relief! I can mange for 2 more days. I told repair man my age which he didn't believe, flatteringly. Anyway I think it did the trick! They don't want old ladies dying of hypothermia do they!
    Anne, the happy camper. It will feel like camping, Jilly and I huddled over the two heaters I possess!
  • linder4866
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Two days can be a long enough time. Bake lots of food so you can have the oven going!! Electric blanket????
  • linder4866
    Options
    6cookys wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I've been gone a long time and just wanted to say hi

Hi Chris! Good to see you. How have you been doing?

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Oh No! Anne...is it cold there now? Do you have an electric blanket? I have this notion of you and Jilly going to one of your sons houses and having a sleep-over. Staying up late at night sipping a glass of wine telling ghost stories, reliving past funny times, etc. when our son comes to visit we do that. He tells us stories about his business and his sailing trips. The thing is that people like you and I and our families always find a way to make the most of every situation. Just take care of yourself and the little peewee.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I think I've really lost it! Spent far too much time today trying to download Ken Follett's most recent addition to his series that started Pillars of the Earth, which I think is still my alltime favorite book! This one is named Column of Fire and my son sent the link to download it onto my Kindles and iPad, where I have more titles that I haven't bothered reading! I just keep charging all these notebooks and planning to make time "some day"! Let me know if anyone would like me to forward the download. I had forgotten how to load books until I recalled it has to go into a Kindle document using Mobi, or something. and it actually was simple once I remembered to Google instructions! So here it is, 4 AM, nothing accomplished for the day, although I probably got myself into financial trouble trying to set up my new Samsung phone! So HI, CHRIS ! Nice to see you, and everybody else, I read evry word of your posts, but too tired to comment. Thanks for the reminder that NY is too cold at Christmastime! I don't even own closed shoes! I understand if they cannot visit; it gets cumbersome planning to spend every holiday visiting, and I like my kids retaining a closeness with each other. So Goodnight, it almost time to get up!!!
    <3 Buzz
    ..............................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!......................
  • jacean2017
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Morning, no I prefer to stay home overnight if possible PATSY, with everyone rushing into bathrooms etc in their own homes getting ready for work!
    It's 5 centigrade right now with me in my dressing gown - that's about 41 going up to 46 as the day progresses. The Bean and I stayed cuddly warm under the duvet and she doesn't snore, shuffles a bit. The day the furnace is installed Thursday, is the warmest of the three days, naturally. Now that I'm a born again Canadian I SHOULD be able to survive 41! This morning I thought of the street folk in Toronto waking up on park benches in their sleeping bags. We don't have any here in my town, but if I encounter one on my travels I'll buy one a coffee and bagel and realize how fortunate I am. The new furnace, which will be smallish for a small house will cost $4600.
    I really AM signing off as,
    (N)Anne(Ouk) of the north. Do you remember Nanouk!
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Waiting for George's groomer while he barks because he senses her visit today which is very annoying but typical of the breed..... mummy someone is climbing the mountain to get to our retreat and I don't want her here!!! After his haircut I must take my car to the garage for its annual check then yoga so I feel tired even thinking about the next few hours. Should get back later tonight (my time!)

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Really really running late. Have been to TJ’s. Need to do the post Office and the bank before Mah Jongg. My produce order is stuck in processing this morning. Ugh. No idea when they think they will deliver and I cannot get a timing estimate this morning.

Hugs friends.....please be safe and well.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,060 Member
    Options
    ehuhlrwe4l76.png
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Here is an interesting read including some info on Guy Fawkes.
    http://www.ucatholic.com/blog/the-catholic-origins-of-halloween/ It was on my Facebook from my church. I know there are some including my daughter who don't believe in Halloween but I think it is just a fun day for the kiddos, just my opinion.

Had a good time with the boys even though they had runny noses. Bryanna also came so we had a nice dinner. Robby was obsessed with my Alexia and kept asking her questions or telling her to go to bed. They did not stay long but it was a nice visit.

Nothing on my agenda today except for paying some bills. I will give the body shop a call to see if my car might be ready later today but I doubt it since the bumper has to be painted after the repair.

Enjoy your Halloween and hope if you get kids for trick or treating the costumes make you smile, especially on the young ones!! I don't plan on getting any kids but bought a small bag of candy just in case.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween dear sneakers. I enjoyed reading once again about the tradition of Halloween. After reading I remembered that from my catholic school days. We did have fun as kids in catholic school. No little trick or treaters here. We live so far out in the country, it is a rare thing for any kid to make it up a long dark road to our house.

We always watch a scary movie during this time of the year. Not sure but I think John wants to watch Dracula. This is a very artistic scary movie. The art direction is superb.

Our son Damon always tries to add to my collection of dolls. He bought me a beautiful "day of the dead" doll from Mexico. He has been in South America during special festivals on Halloween.

There is something about dressing in costume, you really never outgrow it! Katie has a costume. It is an angel. She unfortunatly has very little patience for photos. She ate part of her halo. (sigh, oh well)

Boooooooooo,
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Is one supplement plan F better than another other than cost? They are all standardized under Medicare's guidelines. I can save almost $100 a month if I change from Blue Cross to Cigna. (change is hard)
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    If your newspaper has a rating guide, it might help you choose. Otherwise, is there a group called SHIP, or something similar, to guide you through the choices best for you? As long as your own Dr. accepts your plan and company, I guess they're pretty similar, except for cost! I don't use doctors very often, so I'm sticking with my HMO, which provides my prescriptions as well as medical and hospital care, and since my plan is rated 4.5 out of 5, I'll stay with it. Most of the doctors in our clinic downstairs have adapted to accepting Humana (my HMO), so it's very convenient for me , especially since I gave up driving.
    I woke up late, and everything is thrown off timewise so I missed the Hallowe'en fun, (don't need the extra calories) in the lobby! Besides, 1 to 2 o'clock doesn't feel like Hallowe'en!
    I'm looking at the mess of unsorted paperwork on my desk and countertop, wondering how I gather so much "junk"! But I'd better sort and dump since tomorrow is clean-up day! So soon?
    My legs need pumping, so I'd better tear myself away from you all and get pumped!
    <3 Buzz
    ..............................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!......................
  • linder4866
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sandydur wrote: »
    Is one supplement plan F better than another other than cost? They are all standardized under Medicare's guidelines. I can save almost $100 a month if I change from Blue Cross to Cigna. (change is hard)

Sandy, Are you adding Rx coverage (Part D) as well? I have Blue Cross for my supplement coverage and I have Plan F. They have a pretty good reputation not only for payment but for customer service in this area. I also have an agent to talk to and he is a good guy and very helpful. He also helped me shop for my Rx coverage and I ended up with Humana.

That being said one of my friends changes her coverage every time she can find a lower cost plan at open enrollment time. If there are additional subtleties, I am missing them.

Hugs.

Lin

• linder4866
    Options
    Oh, and we have SHIIP counselors here but they won’t make any recommendations, they just help review the plans and the costs. I think there is a place to find out about field complaints against companies but the web site address fails me right now. I started with our State Insurance Commission Office.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield as my supplement for the last 10 years with no drug coverage. My cost is now up to $278 a month but like you Lin I have never had to pay a dime out of my pocket. I did just apply for drug coverage with Humana which is only $20 a month but I will be penalized for not having drug coverage which I think will be an additional $50 or so. This broker is telling me that all plan F coverages are the same as they are standardized under Medicare. Cigna would be $182 a month but will they be as good as Blue Cross? Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!