Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thank @MobyCarp and @RunsOnEspresso . I am going the 19th to do my resting metabolic rate.

I went to the Y today and did some weights then DH and I walked a few miles.

I've never been one to be able to eat very many calories. I'd gain on 1600 cycling 80 mpw and doing cardio- boot camp 3x a week. I must have a very efficient metabolism. Honestly, I could probably get back to weighing my foods, because theres a real chance I'm just not being honest with myself.

I'm 47 and 5'5" 124 this morning. Which isn't horrible, it's just the up up and away that's killing me.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I agree with @RunsOnEspresso that the calorie levels sound really low. I was losing on 1200 and lost all 60 pounds eating there. I maintained at 1400 and tried to change things up to lose more bodyfat which never actually happened. While doing that is when I really was not able to run. I had no energy and when I ran I got dizzy and none of the doctors had an answer other than - don't run. Also my weight was going up and up. It was up 20lbs when I saw the nutritionist and she raised me to 1960 calories. I can rarely eat that many but my weight has leveled off and I am a) no longer gaining and b) no longer dizzy and c) have energy back to be able to run fast sprint intervals as well as seeing my pace improve on other runs. It has taken over a year to get here but I am a huge fan of my nutritionist and the guidelines she has set for me. I know that I will see the body fat drop along with my weight as I follow her advice.
    I think given your age and height where you are with your weight is probably fine, but only you really know where you feel comfortable and what is right for you. I would love to be at 124 but know honestly that I will likely never see it again on my scale. At this point I really want to get my body fat to within a healthy percentage for my size and age. The weight is secondary but will follow the body fat.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @elise4270 I think I lose around 1800/1900 depending on my activity level (running and weights). I'm 5'5.5 and would love to get to 130 but I'm ok at 140 (but need to reduce BF more than weight if I'm honest). But if you don't eat much and want to increase calories you really have to reverse diet up and not just jump because that can cause weight gain. I think adding 100 calories every 3 to 4 weeks is normal? I've never done it but know a lot of women have.

124 for 5'5 seems like a good spot. I think you would benefit from strength training but I'm a bit biased. And opinions are like *kitten* ;)

I am trying to weigh all my foods. Some I can eyeball fairly well but I know weighing is always better. Weighing and tracking are my two big goals right now. Yah, hitting calorie goals is the ultimate but if I can keep up weighing and tracking I count that as a win.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I think I can try to add some healthy calories, and try that reverse diet, especially as I *kitten* cardio and resistance training.

124 is a fine weight, although now my work pants are too tight. I'd really like to keep it 120 or less. But it is this non-stop gain that has me concerned. If I don't find a way to plateau, I'm going to find myself much heavier very quickly.

Last I saw my doc he tested my thyroid, and it's fine. I'm going to change my foods, and get some regular exercise. If that doesn't get me back on track, I'll go see him.

Tl:Dr.... Thanks for all the support and suggestions! Y'all are awesome!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Tomorrow is my first day trying, erm doing, the up before work and going to the gym! I expect myself to do this everyday this week. And the week after, and after that....

I overlayed my average calorie burn with this weight gain, (and average calorie intake and mileage). It's obvious that I was eating a little better, and I've lost the 400-600 burn per day. So, that's probably the 300-350 calorie per day weight gain I'm seeing.

So tomorrow, when I don't get my *kitten* up (I am getting up), I can no longer wah wah over a gain. :wink: I'mma BEAST! I'm getting UP! Er down haha!

Hope everyone gets back to healthy! Run on! (Swim on, bike on.... Do yer thang)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have been lurking on this thread for a bit. I definitely need some nutritional accountability! In 2016 I lost about 65 lbs following a LCHF diet (about 60-70g net carbs a day, not quite keto). Then I went back to a more standard diet and I've basically bounced around a 10 lb range since. I don't think I want to do low carb again but I definitely need to get a handle on my junk food stress eating...

(I need to lose about another 65blbs to get to the top of a normal BMI.)
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi @sarahthes . I think it's exceptionally difficult to find that balance in fueling runs and weight loss.

Everyone is different in their approach. Personally I do a controlled carb plan (Abt 100g/day). 1. Is just eat better carbs. 2. I do check for ketones as a way to keep myself on the cusp or low end. In my mind that's the only sure sign I'm burning fat. 3. Fuel the run. Eat more carbs closer to run time, even allow some more post run. Fruits, sweet potato ect.. I use to indulge in sprees and a sugar free red bull pre run, and I do hope to get back to that place. Maybe. Or maybe I'll have learned to grab an apple or a peach. Haha!

If your just looking at 10 pounds, I'd think you could eat better (not saying your a bad eater, we all eat like normal people eat in this day and age) just add more fruits and vegetables, keep with lean meats and focus on adding active time. If I even come home and do dishes and cook, it's less time I'm lazy on the couch. Could be that you add warm up and cool down time, stretching time, planking time, anything. Like Moby and his eggs, I boiled eggs last night prepping for the upcoming week and realized how oppoutune that time is for some activity. I didn't run my hall, we don't have much of one, but I did do some hip triangles. Thanks Moby.

Good luck! Please share what works for you and challenges and thoughts.. like I said, we're all different and it helps to have everyone's experience.

Off to the pool now!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Hi @sarahthes! I have never done low carb but one of my goals this year is to keep my carb intake in line and focus on healthier carbs (quinoa, sweet potatoes etc). I don't know your macro break down but a focus on protein and fiber can help people feel fuller longer so for me I make sure I have to have more of a protein-based breakfast to help me set a good tone for the day.

On a personal note, I picked a few recipes from Runner's World Meals on the Run cookbook and went to the grocery store today. Stocked up on fruits and veggies. I did purchase a few treats because I need to get my mindset of a serving is ok, the entire box is not.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Things I learned the hard way today, so y’all don’t have to. If you have only been to the gym once in the last three weeks, and your nutrition is only slightly improved from Cookie Monster in that time, and you have to travel for work.... try your pants on before you pack them. Ugh.... I need to be running again.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @hanlonsk Oh no!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @hanlonsk :grimace: ohh that's no bueno.

Excuse to buy some comfy stretchy pants?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk I have been there. Recently. I was worried I wouldn't have any pants that fit when I went back to work this week after being off for 2 weeks.

Weight is down today - I'm about 5 lbs north of where I maintained all fall. Diet has been okay. I'm getting pretty close to the MFP default macros; a bit over on protein, and keeping my fibre up. I find I'm eating to maintenance on non-running days and only managing a deficit on days I run. Should still wind up losing slowly at that rate.

I'm still ravenous at bedtime but it hits at 11 pm and I should probably go to bed at 10! I need naptime accountability...
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @seanevan10 Where are you located? I don't think I'd be able to make it the 10th due to finances but that's very sweet of you to offer! And I don't think my skill level with people and equipment is near wedding level yet. I've only seriously started in 2017 and did 3 or 4 shoots for friends/family.

I'm in Fort Worth...just north actually. And you always have to have a first time.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes my husband is keto. So it helps not having as much bread/pasta/carby foods around the house. After a while, I just don't eat it. Now, i don't do low-carb. I love baked goods, and fruit. But I have learned that if I don't cheat the fat out and use butter and eat cheese (in moderation) I tend to have lower calories in the day.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @sarahthes MFP protein is usually pretty low. Fiber and protein help keep you fuller, longer so I'd say it's better to go over those than carbs.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @sarahthes I try to keep my protein 75-100g per day. I find that it I can get a substantial amount of protein in the morning, I'm in control of my hunger the rest of the day.

I found snacking on walnuts, cheese and apple slices is acceptable and tasty. Lots of calories, but does not cause the crazy blood sugar lows that make me want a box of cookies.
    ---

One of my challenges is lunch time. I don't plan and just set myself up to go get fast food. I was determined today to not reward myself for not getting out to the pool this morning or planning meals. I want to swim.

Just so many people have the flu and I thought I had a headache, my tummy was wierd and I didn't sleep so well. So I slept in. With surgery coming up, I don't want to have to reschedule. But I suppose it's no big deal if I have too.

Anyway, I went to Starbucks for lunch and got a protein box. Egg, cheese, apple, grapes and a biscuit and peanut butter.

I haven't eaten the biscuit or pb... I'm not supposed to eat PB because it's a migraine trigger..... But.... Ummm I'll probably indulge as it sounds like it'll be yummy with my Americano coffee...
  • shanaber
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Things I learned the hard way today, so y’all don’t have to. If you have only been to the gym once in the last three weeks, and your nutrition is only slightly improved from Cookie Monster in that time, and you have to travel for work.... try your pants on before you pack them. Ugh.... I need to be running again.

I thought of this when I was sitting on the plane on Sunday! Fortunately they still fit but I did have alternatives - just not formal, business attire for a client presentation but it would have been better than pants that couldn't zip! I hope it worked out as well for you too!

I am also finding that as I work out on hips and glute strength my pants don't fit the same. I have never had a 'butt' per se but I definitely do now :blush:
  • shanaber
    Options
    On the low carb/keto and macros... I eat now (when I am not traveling) or try to eat the way that nutritionist outlined for me... 4-500 more calories, specifically adding in before and after my runs. She also changed my macros - 150 carbs (higher than before), 110 protein and 70-80 fat but the carbs are 'good carbs' and not cookies, candy and pie but things like squash, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples and the fats are 'better fats' like peanut butter, avocado and coconut oil. Definitely a work in progress and I really struggle when I am on the road. Heck I struggle at home too - just a bit different struggle.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I love the Starbucks protein boxes. They are a go to for me but then I also love the PBJ box too mmmmm... I think it is a not bad choice and so much better than others you can make there and at other places!

You are right - So many people have the flu... on the planes everyone was coughing and sniffling and sneezing... and you are stuck and can't really move or get away. Then people in my meetings were too. How do you say to a client, ummm excuse me I an not going to sit next to you and I am going to move way over here on the other side of the room!
    I had my flu shot, not that it will help much, and I have been taking the Emergen-C twice a day so hopefully it will help ward it off! I have also been washing my hands like a crazy person - in the hotel and the meetings, in the airport, at every opportunity, making me feel a little ADD about it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber I've been washing my hands double time too! And taking C, multi, d3, and zinc!

The internet says that exercise boosts your immune system, so all the more reason to get going (for me)! Everytime some one sneezes, at work I cringe.

I'm up early to make it to the pool today. Courtesy of My Darn Cat(s). The fat one, tried jumping up on the bed, and I guess hesitated, her claws landing in my scalp was her only hold. Then the little one has to do the cabinet door thing. And DH and his PB fetish at night, smacking, and wiggling back into in bed, flashng the phone light to check the time.... Ugh...

But I'm up. I felt terrible yesterday that I didn't get up and go up the gym. So I'm keeping that in thoughts as my mind tries to runs through excuses to not go. If I'm lucky, I'll have time for a (fast food) breakfast sandwich from chick fila. And perhaps, locker assignments will be made today so I don't have to haul a bag full to the gym.