Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Speaking of energy, I rarely ever have an overabundance of energy like everyone else on keto seems to have. :disappointed: I'm well into this WOE now (day 44), and while I don't feel like I'm dying like when I had the keto flu, I still don't have a lot of energy. I know I'm doing well on my electrolytes. So I don't know what's going on with that.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Speaking of energy, I rarely ever have an overabundance of energy like everyone else on keto seems to have. :disappointed: I'm well into this WOE now (day 44), and while I don't feel like I'm dying like when I had the keto flu, I still don't have a lot of energy. I know I'm doing well on my electrolytes. So I don't know what's going on with that.

@KnitOrMiss should be able to give you some advice I also had a similar question when I first started but can't remember her advice!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@xDaniDragonflyx

The first things that come to mind here are:

Underlying health conditions previously unknown or un/under-treated.
    MICROnutrients lacking in your consumption.
    Too little sodium.
    Too few calories.
    Too little protein/too much fat (your ENTIRE calorie deficit should come out of your fat calories - because you're filling it in with burned body fat...)
    Dependence on caffeine.
    Low stomach acid/digestive drama.
    Too little whole foods.
    Too much convenience foods.
    Underlying food intolerances/mild allergies.
    Tendencies to eat too much food at one time.
    Snacking rather than larger meals (the more break you give your body, the more it will burn).
    SLEEP - too little or poor quality.
    STRESS - too much, not managed well, etc.
    Insulogenic foods (foods not necessarily with sugar or carbs - but that trigger and insulin response - whey protein is one than can do that, as well as foods containing whey, etc.)
    Dependence on nuts/dairy for fats.
    Artificial sweeteners.
    Booze.
    Added sugar, even within macros.
    Too much/too little veggies.
    Wrong types of fats (ditch the canola and vegetable oils!)

Okay, sorry, there are TONS of factors! I always forget that until I let my mind wander.

This is one article that really helped me confirm that I was headed in the right direction to heal...
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/12/why-not-losing-weight-2.html
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx

Looking at your diary, the first thing that jumps out to me is that if you have a more than 20 or so pounds to lose, your deficit is probably WAY TOO HIGH!

Great job eating whole foods, though. Too many of us fall into the trap of fat bombs as meals and all the fats/snack foods at first... :) That was a personal struggle for me.
  • Time2LoseTheWait
    Time2LoseTheWait Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is my second time getting healthy. When I was 50 I made a run at my health and lost most of the weight and was in pretty good shape too using Keto and exercise. I then got injured and gained it all back again due to my inability to workout and subsequent loss of motivation. So here I am back at 52 and ready to take on my health challenges head on .. again :-/

My goals are simply to be in the best health/shape of my life. I used to be an athlete in high school and I realize how crazy that sounds .. but I’m shooting for the moon here. Thank you for any input or advice you have. Feel free to add me .. I can use some like minded people on my friends list. Have a great day!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @xDaniDragonflyx

Looking at your diary, the first thing that jumps out to me is that if you have a more than 20 or so pounds to lose, your deficit is probably WAY TOO HIGH!

Great job eating whole foods, though. Too many of us fall into the trap of fat bombs as meals and all the fats/snack foods at first... :) That was a personal struggle for me.

I'm sorry I'm such a newb, but what do you mean by defecit? :confounded: And thanks for the props! I really haven't had much interest in fat bombs/desserts. I totally do snack foods at night though, when I don't feel like cooking (bring on the nuts and pork rinds!) But I'm trying to get more veggies in every day. :smile:
  • utdiva77
    utdiva77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx

She means that you are eating too few calories....For instance, if you are eating 1200 calories when your body needs 1800 to maintain current weight, the difference between those number is your deficit. :) Good luck! I have also curiously found that I will lose more with lower carbs and relatively tame deficits than if I bump my calories down too low.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    Options
    utdiva77 wrote: »
    @xDaniDragonflyx

She means that you are eating too few calories....For instance, if you are eating 1200 calories when your body needs 1800 to maintain current weight, the difference between those number is your deficit. :) Good luck! I have also curiously found that I will lose more with lower carbs and relatively tame deficits than if I bump my calories down too low.

>.< I had a feeling that's what she meant. I'm redoing my macros now, I use the ruled.me one and yeah, I had the deficit at 50%, which I know they say not to go over 30%, but I didn't think it'd be too bad for a while. I'm currently eating 1204 calories a day, and under if I can manage. :tired_face: Upping my deficit to 35% puts me at 1400 calories...

I just wanted to lose the max amount of pounds... :disappointed:
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss & @utdiva77 Thanks so much for your input and advise! :smiley:
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    Options

35% of a deficit is STILL over the max recommended.

When we are morbidly obese, (most of the time) our body will naturally shed weight more easily because there is so much to lose. The body doesn't panic. However, if you're WAY undereating your calories, your body will panic, and it will lose slower because it can't figure out what is going on...

Remember, that unless you're medically monitored, 2 pounds per week is the max suggested healthy weight loss. Anything more than that is hard on your body and your heart and such... (there's a little bit of leeway with keto as weight loss is different in the mechanism than just not eating, etc.)...

Please be careful.

Boo... Guess I have to make some more adjustments... But seriously, I'm going through my food diary for tomorrow, TRYING to figure out how to add more protein and it's just not happening. AND I was hoping to start IF soon, but if I only have a 6 hour window, I have no idea how I'm supposed to eat everything I need to, because I can't cook most days because of my work schedule. This just got really hard all of a sudden. :disappointed:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

When we are morbidly obese, (most of the time) our body will naturally shed weight more easily because there is so much to lose. The body doesn't panic. However, if you're WAY undereating your calories, your body will panic, and it will lose slower because it can't figure out what is going on...

Remember, that unless you're medically monitored, 2 pounds per week is the max suggested healthy weight loss. Anything more than that is hard on your body and your heart and such... (there's a little bit of leeway with keto as weight loss is different in the mechanism than just not eating, etc.)...

Please be careful.

Boo... Guess I have to make some more adjustments... But seriously, I'm going through my food diary for tomorrow, TRYING to figure out how to add more protein and it's just not happening. AND I was hoping to start IF soon, but if I only have a 6 hour window, I have no idea how I'm supposed to eat everything I need to, because I can't cook most days because of my work schedule. This just got really hard all of a sudden. :disappointed:

It's not hard at all! You just have to slow down. Small changes equals huge success!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

It's not hard at all! You just have to slow down. Small changes equals huge success!

Yeah, I know... Just means I have to actually cook more, haha! More dirty dishes. More effort. I'm so lazy that I would rather open a can of tuna and eat like 3 of those then cook me a turkey or chicken. But ya gotta do what you gotta do. :smile:
  • rae1388
    rae1388 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Yeah, I know... Just means I have to actually cook more, haha! More dirty dishes. More effort. I'm so lazy that I would rather open a can of tuna and eat like 3 of those then cook me a turkey or chicken. But ya gotta do what you gotta do. :smile:

@xDaniDragonflyx Maybe cook big meals that you can eat the leftovers for a couple of days. Takes some of the pressure off of making something everyday. Also, one thing I always keep in my freezer now is frozen grilled chicken, Tyson makes it and there are some generic brands too, but it's fully cooked grilled chicken strips that you just pop in the microwave for like a minute, and it's ready to eat! And to my surprise it's pretty juicy and not dried out like I thought it would be. Makes meals so much easier, whether it's just you, or you're feeding a family and your toddler is strapped to your leg and extremely hangry(hungry + angry). :smiley:
  • Time2LoseTheWait
    Options
    Keto friendly and needing sleep ... if I take a nap today .. how many carbs are in that?
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Please be careful.

I bought a Kindle version of a keto cookbook (was under $5) with simple recipes that you can make either ahead of time or in under 30 minutes. I also found a Keto slowcooker cookbook, which I might also get, but would definitely help with not wanting to cook when you get home from work. Set it in the morning and it will be hot and ready when you get home!

Also, I'm still trying to figure out the best calorie/macro balance for my body. Week 1 I ate between 1500 - 1700 calories a day (the online macro calculator said 1580 for me), and lost 2.6 lbs. Week two, I lost 0.4lbs. It might take a little bit to get used to what my body actually needs, but I am trying to remind myself that this is a way of life and not a short term "fix" (at least for me). I ate relatively healthy before starting Keto (no added sugar, and low carb-ish [no white flour, no high starch veggies]) and lost some weight, but very very slowly. I have a history of ED and yo-yo dieting for 20 years, so my body is likely very resistant to changes in diet. I realize I have to respect the process and let my body be where it needs to be for right now (so hard to do though!).

• Time2LoseTheWait
    Options
    My first time losing weight it took me a few months to line out my calorie/macro/diet plan that seemed to work best for my body. I’d say you are doing quite well so far figuring out what you need. Great job!
This discussion has been closed.