Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,433 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to arrange coals on a charcoal grill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-CB0ZSo_g
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Sweet potato and chickpea salad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXZXq7cb8P0
  • faithfornsKathie
    faithfornsKathie Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good morning
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Hi, Happy Friday to the guys...Kathie can celebrate tomorrow.
    Rain to start soon if the gloomy leaden skies are any indication. Expecting another round of rain for Today, Saturday, and Sunday....then MORE for Monday and at least Tuesday. This has to be the longest rainy streak I can remember in GA. This rain started at least a week ago already, and probably more...I remember one non-rain day Wednesday before last. We are going to either melt or mildew!!!

I've got the dishwasher going, and a load in the washer, and I'm soon to be heading back to bed. Just took an Aleve and hoping that resting my back will help. Lower back pain is not common for me, so this is mostly an aggravation. My left hip complained the past couple days, and I tried 'walking it out' at the gym..and back stretches at home..but today it is worse, not better so I decided R & R instead of pushing thru. Sitting up at my desk is flat out uncomfortable.
    My oldest and DIL are in Florida...weather not looking too great for them either!

Friend of mine in MO posted pix of his newborn lamb twins!! Soooo, cute. I miss the baby animals in the spring.. I do not miss the winters!

Ok, this is as long as I can sit...

Later...
  • faithfornsKathie
    Options
    Rain to start soon if the gloomy leaden skies are any indication. Expecting another round of rain for Today, Saturday, and Sunday....then MORE for Monday and at least Tuesday. This has to be the longest rainy streak I can remember in GA. This rain started at least a week ago already, and probably more...I remember one non-rain day Wednesday before last. We are going to either melt or mildew!!!

I've got the dishwasher going, and a load in the washer, and I'm soon to be heading back to bed. Just took an Aleve and hoping that resting my back will help. Lower back pain is not common for me, so this is mostly an aggravation. My left hip complained the past couple days, and I tried 'walking it out' at the gym..and back stretches at home..but today it is worse, not better so I decided R & R instead of pushing thru. Sitting up at my desk is flat out uncomfortable.
    My oldest and DIL are in Florida...weather not looking too great for them either!

Friend of mine in MO posted pix of his newborn lamb twins!! Soooo, cute. I miss the baby animals in the spring.. I do not miss the winters!

Later...

Sorry your back is bothering you. Have a good weekend despite the rain.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Watched the Chickpea 'eggless omelet' twice. The Besan (chick pea flour) reminds me of Teff flour 'bread' enjera from Ethiopia . Which I have been saying I was going to make for a long time, yet never have done it. Maybe sometime I'll make both...not necessarily the same day, and compare taste, etc. (I will have to buy some Teff as what I had was so old I tossed it about 3 years ago.)

The Sweet Potato chickpea salad...that would be tasty! As a general rule while I like many kinds of beans in my salad chickpeas are not among my favorites. Too hard, with a tendency to fall off my fork! LOL...

Ok, bed time....Tonite's dinner was grilled portabella mushroom on whole wheat buns with cilantro, red onion, tomato slices, & FYH cheese, and fresh lightly steamed corn on the cob...MMMM!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    wRqqAw.jpg

nwOyc3.jpg

OVlRe5.jpg

t1zPjP.jpg

TmH8K7.jpg

d2KjrT.jpg

Cz4TbS.jpg

iNmF0Y.gif
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I'm back from walking and found 15 cents in two locations. The other day I saw three deer walking up the brook in the water and this morning I had one deer cross the street ahead of me.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/bad-news-sausage-bacon-booze-12585028
    No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe according to cancer experts

https://www.kiro7.com/www.kiro7.com/news/local/woman-says-her-amazon-device-recorded-private-conversation-sent-it-out-to-random-contact/755507974
    Woman says her Amazon device recorded private conversation, sent it out to random contact

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/dog-deemed-unadoptable-to-become-first-ever-deaf-k-9-in-washington/705407405
    [bDog deemed ‘unadoptable' to become first-ever deaf K-9 in Washington[/b]

Not a Surprise to me FWIW
    https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/report-popular-items-sold-on-amazon-walmart-are-counterfeit/707938977
    Report: Popular items sold by Amazon, Walmart, others are counterfeit

Oops
    https://apnews.com/73d14511608541c6bfcbfca8307eefaf
    DEA acknowledges it raided wrong family's house in Tennessee

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wwii-bomb-defused-dresden-mass-evacuation-fire-152306280.html
    WWII bomb defused in Dresden after mass evacuation, fire

http://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/389056-mr-president-please-send-the-troops-to-chicago
    Mr. President, please send the troops to Chicago

http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-living-vehicle-20180526-story.html
    They ditched pricey home ownership for a small house on wheels — and they love it

Have a Great Saturday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fantastic Friday! 71 with an expected high of 80 and 80% chance of precipitation. Still got that load of laundry to freshen and fold and need to feed the cats. Dishwasher is running now. Last night's pork and pinto bean soup, along with some warmed up Southern buttermilk cornbread, made a tasty breakfast. I think I have probably two more meals out of that.

I love this simple cornbread recipe. NO SUGAR ADDED. If one wants sweetness, one can drizzle honey on the cornbread later or use use honey butter (with or without cinnamon) as a spread.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Southern Buttermilk Cornbread

Ingredients:

1 cup self rising cornmeal, white or yellow, doesn't matter. I just usually have white because it seems to be more available here.

1 egg.

1 cup buttermilk. Can substitute one cup of milk and a good splash or two of lemon juice or vinegar.

2 Tablespoons butter*. (You may, optionally, omit the butter from the batter but you will still need a small amount of butter or some other fat to grease the baking pan.)

For baking:

An 8 inch, well seasoned, cast iron skillet. Or an 8 inch cake pan but for real Southern cornbread, a skillet...

Instructions:

Put the skillet in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 with the skillet in the oven. You can bake at a lower temperature, but a good, hot oven, along with the hot cast iron skillet, produces a very nice, crisp crust.

Combine the egg and milk, and whisk together until well blended. Add the cornmeal and whisk until the thin batter is smooth.

Put the BUTTER (not the batter yet!) into the hot skillet and place back in the oven for just a moment or two to get the butter partly melted, then swirl the butter around in the skillet to cover the bottom thoroughly and maybe up the sides just a bit. It should finish melting as you swirl it. If the butter gets a little brown, it doesn't matter and can even enhance the flavor of the cornbread but you don't want it burned too badly, so do this quickly.

Pour the melted butter into the batter and wipe any drips off the outside of the skillet. Do not scrape the skillet, as you need the butter that remains to keep the cornbread from sticking.

Quickly whisk the butter into the batter until blended and pour the batter into the hot skillet. Hopefully you will hear a nice sizzle when you do this and the outer edges will immediately, and fairly obviously, start to cook.

Place the skillet back in the oven and cook for 15 to 30 minutes, watching for the center to completely rise and the top to get golden brown. Insert a toothpick near the center and if it comes out clean, the cornbread is done.

Remove from oven. If desired, brush the top with more melted butter immediately. Cool slightly. If needed, run a table knife around the edge of the cornbread. Turn out to cool further on a rack. If desired, turn out first onto a plate and then flip onto the rack so the cornbread is right side up on the rack. Cool as desired, but best served piping hot or at least fairly warm. If you used a plate to flip the cornbread, you can slide the cornbread off the rack, onto the plate for serving. If you didn't flip the cornbread onto the rack, you can flip it onto a plate for serving. Either way, you get a nicer presentation if it's served right side up.

Cut into wedges and serve with butter for spreading. I usually cut 8 wedges, for 8 small servings.

It's best not to leave the cornbread in the skillet very long after baking, as cornbread is somewhat acidic and, left in the skillet too long, may damage the seasoning on the skillet.

The recipe may be doubled and baked in a 10 1/4 or 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet if you need a larger cornbread to feed more people.
    Hi Ed
    I love Cornbread, being a lazy cook and not having some of the ingredients I ended up buying the last piece I had at Whole Foods.

I ended up heating the Country Style Ribs from Bishops as my Dinner yesterday. Today I have a tray of their Meatloaf in the refrigerator defrosting for use today as I threw it into the freezer when I bought it. When that is used up I have a tray of Pulled Rotisserie Chicken from the ShopRite in the freezer to use once the meatloaf is gone.
    What's the best way to arrange coals on a charcoal grill?
    I never thought about it, I always just made a layer of Charcoal and lit it :smiley:

Have a Good Holiday Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good morning
    Hi Kathie

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    From what I could see Miss. through Ga. and Fla. will be having days of rain :(
    Stormy weather is starting early IMO.

When we have periods of rain during the warm weather I see Mushrooms popping up in lawns :smile:

I agree, Pain is Your body telling You, Slow Down and let me heal or rest.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. I've been up for hours but distracted on the internet. 78 with an expected high of 83 and 20% chance of precipitation.

Not much on the agenda today. Maybe some light house work...we'll see.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Magic expanding Vietnamese Rice Ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zke200x2jRw
  • parityanimal
    Options
    The most intimidating pasta dish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUDblEURdY
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/bad-news-sausage-bacon-booze-12585028
    No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe according to cancer experts

Ain't gonna stop me. Everything causes cancer it seems so I'll just (within reason) eat what I want and not worry too much about it.

RogerToo wrote: »

Not a Surprise to me FWIW
    https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/report-popular-items-sold-on-amazon-walmart-are-counterfeit/707938977
    Report: Popular items sold by Amazon, Walmart, others are counterfeit

No surprise to me either and I bet most purchasers don't even care, as long as it looks right.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey!!!
    Moving right along over/down here. Ready to put my lunch together, last load of clothes (sheets and towels) are in the washer, one load light clothes dried and put away, load of dark clothes in the dryer...and internet time in between! :)

Rain, now forecast thru Tuesday/Wednesday morning....thanks Alberto ;( Sadly (I will be fine) , but my family is at Sandestin FLA...so they will get some of this also. I suspect they'll head home Sun. night instead of Monday.

That left hip and lower back still with me......Will have Aleve with my black bean, rice, mushroom pieces and left over spinach from yesterday's breakfast. (lunch will also include the last ear of corn from Wednesdays shopping trip. :)
    Ya'll are making me really miss cornbread! Sometimes Whole Foods has Vegan Cornbread all wrapped, weighed, and priced on the shelf above one of the hot bars...it is very tasty, although it is loaded with fat! Only eat it on rare occasions :)

Roger I saw you posted finding a folded dollar bill...umm, I think maybe that was my bill??? LOL!! and that you also found 15 cents...you're in the money!

I'm still getting the updated emails about privacy changes from various app sites. I was wondering why until I read an article about it sometime last night when I should have been sleeping! At least I know WHY I'm getting all of this...I thought from the article that last day to notify was yesterday the 25, but my phone just lit up with a dialogue box from Waze saying I need to read their updated Privacy Policy...so, Waze, hate to tell you but you're a bit tardy with your notification.....

I'm currently brain dead, so will get lunch together, and hope it will feed my brain some carbohydrates and get me back on track!

Later...

Kathie, today and tomorrow are your days off...but will you also get Monday off as well? Hope so. and IF so, enjoy your long weekend.

Also, Roger I don't know how you can be so cheerful about seeing the deer while on your morning walks, considering the damage they do to you veg. garden, etc!!! I'd be wailing!

• faithfornsKathie
    Options
    Hey!!!
    Moving right along over/down here. Ready to put my lunch together, last load of clothes (sheets and towels) are in the washer, one load light clothes dried and put away, load of dark clothes in the dryer...and internet time in between! :)

Rain, now forecast thru Tuesday/Wednesday morning....thanks Alberto ;( Sadly (I will be fine) , but my family is at Sandestin FLA...so they will get some of this also. I suspect they'll head home Sun. night instead of Monday.

That left hip and lower back still with me......Will have Aleve with my black bean, rice, mushroom pieces and left over spinach from yesterday's breakfast. (lunch will also include the last ear of corn from Wednesdays shopping trip. :)
    Ya'll are making me really miss cornbread! Sometimes Whole Foods has Vegan Cornbread all wrapped, weighed, and priced on the shelf above one of the hot bars...it is very tasty, although it is loaded with fat! Only eat it on rare occasions :)

Roger I saw you posted finding a folded dollar bill...umm, I think maybe that was my bill??? LOL!! and that you also found 15 cents...you're in the money!

I'm still getting the updated emails about privacy changes from various app sites. I was wondering why until I read an article about it sometime last night when I should have been sleeping! At least I know WHY I'm getting all of this...I thought from the article that last day to notify was yesterday the 25, but my phone just lit up with a dialogue box from Waze saying I need to read their updated Privacy Policy...so, Waze, hate to tell you but you're a bit tardy with your notification.....

I'm currently brain dead, so will get lunch together, and hope it will feed my brain some carbohydrates and get me back on track!

Later...

Kathie, today and tomorrow are your days off...but will you also get Monday off as well? Hope so. and IF so, enjoy your long weekend.

Also, Roger I don't know how you can be so cheerful about seeing the deer while on your morning walks, considering the damage they do to you veg. garden, etc!!! I'd be wailing!

I worked today but off my regular Sunday and Monday so no special or extra days off. :(
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Oh Poo! Thats just not fair Kathie. Bet everyone else got 3 days off??? I'd make a fuss.
    Ed and I are beginning to get a feel of the storm to come Sunday & Monday. Thunder, rain, a bit of wind. My son and DIL are leaving Fla tomorrow which is a day earlier than they'd planned. I'm sorry their vacation was cut short, but glad they're coming home early.

I'm thinking its nearly bed time...finish up a couple little chores.

Roger, had nice big juicy black berries with some Vanilla So's Coconut cream ice cream. (the blue topped one with no added sugar.) It was delicious!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    assNS4.jpg

1xRzNp.jpg

9TQkKv.jpg

5FQxoz.jpg

iGeKpC.jpg

jAjMOz.jpg

s3ajgt.jpg

mgXHMv.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    With the thunder happening I did not get out walking, yet, Maybe later. There is a fairly heavy rain falling and that is forecast to be off and on today. The temperature is currently 71 degrees and is forecast to fall through the day.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/05/25/stillwater-motors-mechanic-retires-68-years/
    Stillwater Motors Mechanic Retires After 68 Years

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/05/25/insect-milk-dairy-superfood/
    Cockroach Milk? Experts Call Insect Dairy The Next Superfood

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/pounds-of-fentanyl-enough-to-kill-more-than-million-people/article_37809613-706c-54a3-80c6-7c5a3c2b18a3.html
    118 pounds of fentanyl — enough to kill more than 26 million people — among drug bust records this year for Nebraska State Patrol

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Unseen-face-of-the-opioid-epidemic-Drug-abuse-12943266.php
    Unseen face of the opioid epidemic: Drug abuse among the elderly grows

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/australia-builds-world-s-longest-cat-proof-fence-to-save-wildlife-10277962
    Australia builds world's longest cat-proof fence to save wildlife

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/05/23/15/14/angelo-russo-murder-accused-blames-gunfire-on-eggplant
    Farmer accused of shooting murder blames gunfire on eggplant

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/05/25/blocking-500-million-users-is-easier-than-complying-with-gdpr#gs.3w_eFcU
    Blocking 500 Million Users Easier Than Complying With GDPR

https://www.al.com/expo/erry-2018/05/6a4713d9c79343/the_time_we_nuked_mississippi.html
    That time we nuked Mississippi

https://nypost.com/2018/05/25/mysterious-werewolf-killed-in-montana/
    Mysterious ‘werewolf’ killed in Montana

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger