Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    PC3Yqn.gif

lsznwC.gif

7Gl5Ad.jpg

faJtBf.jpg

f3HOVf.jpg

WgbI4P.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Howdy from downtown Atlanta, in the Aloft hotel! Cats have been left food and so have the sugar gliders, and we'll check on them tomorrow evening.

Hi Ed
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday in downtown Atlanta. 73 out there now with an expected high of 82 and 20% chance of rain. Going down now to to see what breakfast is available here.
    It is a Nice looking day. According to the Weather forecast we should have rain moving in late Saturday into Sunday.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    New Mouse works great. Very touchy though. I'll have to learn to judge how much scroll on the mouse puts me 3 pages forward!! LOL...not quite that bad.
    Roger posted...
    Interesting Links:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/29/low-fat-diet-linked-higher-death-rates-major-lancet-study-finds/
    Low-fat diet could kill you, major study shows
    Laura Donnelly, Health Editor, in Barcelona 29 August 2017 • 11:39am

This is what one of my fav. Doc's had to say...in a bulletin I think yesterday. When I read it I wasn't sure what prompted him to write this.....then Roger I read your article. It all makes sense now!
    I copied this for you to read. I think if you go to his website you may find you like Dr. McDougall!! :)
    Breaking News: Why cutting the fat and loading up on carbs can lead to poor health.
    View this email in your browser
    Dr. McDougall's Health & Medical Center
    Yesterday's Headlines: “Why cutting the fat and loading up on carbs can lead to poor health.”

The Study: Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study. Lancet: Published online August 29, 2017.

This is a study comparing the health of people who eat junk foods in the US and Europe. Studies done before 1980 - when many populations ate high starch diets (rice, corn, potatoes, etc.) as the sources of carbohydrates (China, Peru, Rural Africa, Japan, etc.) there was no heart disease (obesity, type-2 diabetes, MS, RA, prostate, colon, or breast cancer, etc. in these populations - except among the few rich people living there) - now the source of carbohydrates studied is primarily refined grains and worse: cookies, candy, cakes, soda, etc.; popular in these two wealthy areas of the world - US and Europe; and many of the other counties that now eat as we do.

Moreover, in Asian countries over the past 35 years, the consumption of rice per capita has decreased, and the consumption of meat and dairy foods has more than doubled, as the wealth of people in this part of the world has increased. During this time period, the health of people in Asia has deteriorated, with increases in obesity, heart disease, and type-2 diabetes rising to epidemic proportions.

"Moreover, North American and European populations consume a lower carbohydrate diet than populations elsewhere where most people consume very high carbohydrate diets mainly from refined sources".

"Moreover, in our study most participants from low-income and middle-income countries consumed a very high carbohydrate diet (at least 60% of energy), especially from refined sources (such as white rice and white bread), which have been shown to be associated with increased risk of total mortality and cardiovascular events.42 "

BTW: Funding:
    “…unrestricted grants from several pharmaceutical companies (with major contributions from AstraZeneca [Canada], Sano -Aventis [France and Canada], Boehringer Ingelheim [Germany and Canada], Servier, and GlaxoSmithKline), and additional contributions from Novartis and King Pharma and from various national or local organisations in participating countries…”

John McDougall, MD
    drmcdougall.com

I'm tired, its 10pm, and I'm going to bed and sleep late tomorrow while I'm at it!! :)
    Did my shopping, bought gas, went to the gym, and more...yada yada....

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    That Does sound as if You are correct in Your reasoning.
    The rest of Your post regarding diet is interesting.

I am somewhat tired this morning, I had a poor nights sleep sadly. So I will be brief :) or maybe I mean :(

With the rise in Gas prices I am glad I filled up the car recently.

Have a Nice upcoming Holiday
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning.
    Its suddenly getting dark as or maybe more so than the eclipse. :) I do believe it will rain. You can smell it..and as if that was the cue...it is now pouring rain. Tom E. is now back in the house because I left the back door open...Oh, well.
    I'm not at all surprised about the heart issues in obese toddlers. Its now recommended that 5 (or maybe it was 6) year olds have their blood pressure checked!! (one more condition of the middle to elder aged people) being found in little kids. All the autopsied soldiers returning from Nam showed some degree of heart disease...and these guys were young, physically conditioned, seemingly fit people. ITs the FOOD folks. Oh, and that article about the 'exercising' pigs....what was the point? its like the story ended where it should have begun. Also, I think its a bit unethical to make pigs run. They are not distance runners, quick sprints maybe...and a long handled 2 tined pitchfork to make them run??? Really? Thats just cruel.
    Ok, enough about health!

Trash men had already run by the time I got up, I heard the truck...I didn't look to see if they closed the lid to my container...often it comes off the truck's lift thingy lid open....I may have a container of water soon. :(
    I hope this is just passing thru rain, I really would like to get to the gym sometime this afternoon.... wait! did I just say I'd LIKE to go to the gym....somebody shoot me, please! LOL!!
    Today I'm trying something new in my veggie category. I am going to cook turnips and turnip greens. Found a neat recipe...it has amongst other things star anise in the sauce/broth that the turnip greens make. Will let you know about this....
    One or both boys coming out to help with some yard work this weekend. Could be fun. I need my garage flood light and the one for the back yard replaced. The yard one has been 'dead' for a long time, and the one in the garage gave me a scare the other night. We had an early evening power blip, I didn't even notice, but the microwave clock had to be reset. Part of my bedtime routine is to set the alarm, and then quickly open the door to the garage to make sure the big garage door is closed...opened the door and I could SMELL hot. Jack explained to me that its meant to do that...that if you flip the switch quickly, it keeps the light from timing out. Hmmm. I'd never noticed that before....so it is going to be replaced with a LED unit. I really wonder how hot it would have gotten before it set my garage on fire???? LED will help with the heat issue.
    Rain seems to be slowing down, time to get myself moving and start a load of laundry, and a few other chores...

Ed, I know you all are having fun!

Roger, what are you doing this long weekend?

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,201 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Still not quite accustomed to this cramped Bluetooth keyboard that I am using for this pad, but it's not unlike trying to type with Lilo helping.

Cats still had plenty of food and water last night but I refilled anyway. They were glad to see us.

Might wander up to the parade in a bit.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Hi
    I did some walking once again + 9 pennies, The pennies were all found one by one in a short stretch of sidewalk except for the last one.
    The temperature this morning was 54 on the news channel and 53 degrees on the front porch and back yard. It was Comfortable walking.

Interesting Links:
    https://phys.org/news/2017-08-antidepressants-fish-brains-great-lakes.html
    Antidepressants found in fish brains in Great Lakes region
    August 31, 2017 by Charlotte Hsu

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/eagle-ford-energy/article/45-San-Antonio-gas-stations-reportedly-without-12165239.php
    San Antonio gas stations out of fuel climbs to 270
    By Rye Druzin Updated 9:59 pm, Thursday, August 31, 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4841850/Donald-Trump-donate-1million-Hurricane-Harvey.html
    White House announces Trump will donate $1million of his own money to the Harvey relief funds as he tweets picture of cops in a multi-faith prayer circle
    By Matthew Wright For Dailymail.com
    Published: 15:59 EDT, 31 August 2017 | Updated: 18:07 EDT, 31 August 2017

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    ZAMbaZ.png

IdZfrQ.png

rfIsX4.png

8l4Z43.png

LvDBg2.png

ZZ2ma9.png
  • parityanimal
    Chocolate from around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAe24ejiErY
  • parityanimal
    And pizza from around the world! Why the chocolate first? Well, Pogo told Albert (many moons ago in the comic strip) that all the BEST people eat dessert first. Or something along those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sq2yvXPobI
  • parityanimal
    All the same, how about a second dessert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9vVYmHxHs
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning.
    Its suddenly getting dark as or maybe more so than the eclipse. :) I do believe it will rain. You can smell it..and as if that was the cue...it is now pouring rain. Tom E. is now back in the house because I left the back door open...Oh, well.
    I'm not at all surprised about the heart issues in obese toddlers. Its now recommended that 5 (or maybe it was 6) year olds have their blood pressure checked!! (one more condition of the middle to elder aged people) being found in little kids. All the autopsied soldiers returning from Nam showed some degree of heart disease...and these guys were young, physically conditioned, seemingly fit people. ITs the FOOD folks. Oh, and that article about the 'exercising' pigs....what was the point? its like the story ended where it should have begun. Also, I think its a bit unethical to make pigs run. They are not distance runners, quick sprints maybe...and a long handled 2 tined pitchfork to make them run??? Really? Thats just cruel.
    Ok, enough about health!
    Hi Valerie
    Hopefully You needed the rain and it doesn't cause any issues.
    Currently it is a chilly, gloomy looking day outside. OTOH I did not have any problems with the sun in my eyes while waking :)
    Our forecast is for rain later this afternoon into Sunday Morning :(

I had heard that about the Vietnam soldiers in the past.
    Trash men had already run by the time I got up, I heard the truck...I didn't look to see if they closed the lid to my container...often it comes off the truck's lift thingy lid open....I may have a container of water soon. :(
    I hope this is just passing thru rain, I really would like to get to the gym sometime this afternoon.... wait! did I just say I'd LIKE to go to the gym....somebody shoot me, please! LOL!!
    Today I'm trying something new in my veggie category. I am going to cook turnips and turnip greens. Found a neat recipe...it has amongst other things star anise in the sauce/broth that the turnip greens make. Will let you know about this....
    Look at it that if the lid is open You have a jump start on washing out the container :)
    One or both boys coming out to help with some yard work this weekend. Could be fun. I need my garage flood light and the one for the back yard replaced. The yard one has been 'dead' for a long time, and the one in the garage gave me a scare the other night. We had an early evening power blip, I didn't even notice, but the microwave clock had to be reset. Part of my bedtime routine is to set the alarm, and then quickly open the door to the garage to make sure the big garage door is closed...opened the door and I could SMELL hot. Jack explained to me that its meant to do that...that if you flip the switch quickly, it keeps the light from timing out. Hmmm. I'd never noticed that before....so it is going to be replaced with a LED unit. I really wonder how hot it would have gotten before it set my garage on fire???? LED will help with the heat issue.
    Rain seems to be slowing down, time to get myself moving and start a load of laundry, and a few other chores...

Ed, I know you all are having fun!

Roger, what are you doing this long weekend?

Later...
    I'm surprised that they would have a Light that can get hot enough that You can smell it.

I have had some of the so-called energy saving lights that failed and gave off a Hot Electronics smell. Think CFL & Led. They both have electronic circuitry in them to change the AC line voltage into a lower DC for the LED and to power the Fluorescent Bulb.

Here is a picture of one of the Dahlias planted out front. It got broken off when we were deadheading the Rose Bush behind it and removing the dead blooms from it. I put the ruler along side of it to give a idea of the size. It is a pretty Thing too.
    KMmzpT.jpg

If I said I have no plans except to stay clear of the traffic on the roads by not going anywhere I can not go on foot ?

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Lovely dahlia flower!
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! Still not quite accustomed to this cramped Bluetooth keyboard that I am using for this pad, but it's not unlike trying to type with Lilo helping.

Cats still had plenty of food and water last night but I refilled anyway. They were glad to see us.

Might wander up to the parade in a bit.
    Hi Ed
    Cramped Bluetooth keyboard? I had wondered how they docked and undocked. Does it charge when Docked?
    Also have You considered looking to see if You can find a Regular Sized Bluetooth keyboard. I used one in the past so I would think You could still find one.

Ah, Parade. I should look and see if we have one in town this Holiday Weekend. OTOH I do not see the usual barricades staged and ready to be used like I see for Memorial Day.
    Lovely dahlia flower!

It is a pretty thing. Somewhat of a shame it got broken off...
    However it does have three others that are just as large and opened blooming left on the plant so it could have been worse.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning,
    I too agree, that is one beautiful dahlia bloom. Dinner plate size! I haven't grown dahlia's in a long time...you may have inspired me.
    That hot light, Roger is 20 years old, and I have no idea what kind of bulbs are in it. But its about 10-12 inches from the garage ceiling, and it was hot. I won't turn it back on...it will be replaced. Thinking about a solar light for the one on the back porch. My neighbor has one, its quite bright and seems to be doing its job. Do you know anything about solar motion activated flood lights?
    Ed, have a great time today. Its eleven oclock and only 72 degrees with a nice breeze in Atlanta. Sunny, couldn't ask for anything more! :)
    I've got a list today...
    Ted and I are going to have some fun tomorrow. We're going to do what we did Years ago...start Sunday off with an early morning trip to Whole Foods...(we started this when it was called Harry's, and was about mile and a half from my house.) We'd peruse Harry's wares, which were much, much better than any local grocery, and then since we were going right by it, we'd be in the parking lot waiting for Costco to open. SO, its Whole Foods to look for the lowered prices? and shop. I'm not so sure we'll make Costco... for sure we'll not be in time for their opening, and it gets crowded pretty quickly.
    Jack hasn't called, so I'm not sure when, or if he's coming. But he will deal with the lights. Ted gets the lawn mower! I'll duck outside sometime today and pick up the sticks and small branches that came out of the trees with yesterday's winds.

Oh, Roger, I saw two more articles about that paper in the Lancet this morning...neither were supportive of the findings. They gave some of the particulars about the study...um, I guess if the carbs were from cookies (rather than veg. grain. fruit, etc)..it 'could' make for some weird results. TOday's debunking came from Dr. David Katz, and another from Pritikin. I won't post them. I can send a link if you're really interested. :)

Ok, time to get my day going away from this keyboard!!!
    Enjoy your day...
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2017
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi Ed
    Cramped Bluetooth keyboard? I had wondered how they docked and undocked. Does it charge when Docked?
    Also have You considered looking to see if You can find a Regular Sized Bluetooth keyboard. I used one in the past so I would think You could still find one.

Ah, Parade. I should look and see if we have one in town this Holiday Weekend. OTOH I do not see the usual barricades staged and ready to be used like I see for Memorial Day.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Oh, we have a full size Bluetooth keyboard, but that sort of kills some of the portability of the pad doesn't it?

I bought this keyboard when I had the iPad and I have a separate numeric keypad/calculator that plugs in to a USB port (and provides two additional ports) as well as a small Bluetooth mouse, all of which easily packs up into a fairly small space for traveling.

I also use the keypad with my MacBook Pro as it does not have that end of the full size keyboard, just like most laptops.

I have not yet purchased the keyboard that is made for the Surface 3, though I may. That keyboard attaches to the bottom of the pad and makes a cover as well, by folding over the glass when not in use, but does not charge the pad In fact, it needs its own separate charger for when the battery runs down, as does the keyboard I have. You can buy a docking station that DOES charge the pad, but I don't see a need for that myself. But I can see how others might need/want one. Perhaps at a later time I might consider one. And might buy the keyboard that is made for it.

I don't know if the docking station can also charge the keyboard but I guess if it has a USB port it could.
  • RogerToo
    BwBn97.jpg

L9Og73.jpg

0PsVUl.jpg
    wife pranks, Hiding the good stuff

CHb8a5.png

6VCnyo.jpg

3XitEN.png
  • RogerToo
    edited September 2017
    Some interesting looking images
    rPv2yh.jpg

Hyhshp.jpg

YsOoRF.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I did some walking once again. The temperature this morning was 61 on the news channel and 60 degrees on the front porch and back yard. It was semi Comfortable walking due to the Light rain. The rain is forecast to end later on today. The temperature did not change overnight as it was 60 degrees at 10PM Saturday night.

Interesting Links:
    http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/08/31/thieves-targeting-gas-tanks/
    Thieves Targeting Gas Tanks In North Texas
    August 31, 2017 8:54 PM By Andrea Lucia

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4370153/terrifying-blob-creature-that-looks-like-a-brain-discovered-in-a-spooky-lake-called-the-lost-lagoon/
    []b]THE BLOBTerrifying blob creature that looks like a BRAIN discovered in a spooky lake called ‘The Lost Lagoon’[/b]
    Video shows hideously ugly organism jiggling and pulsating as it's dragged from the water.
    By Jasper Hamill, 1st September 2017, 12:03 pm
    Updated: 1st September 2017, 3:18 pm

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/evolution/footprint-find-on-crete-may-push-back-date-humans-began-to-walk-upright/news-story/2e60cbd7386573dd2a45c5cc9d79297d
    Footprint find on Crete may push back date humans began to walk upright
    HUMAN-like footprints have been found on an ancient sea shore.
    They shouldn’t be there. They’re in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Jamie Seidel, News Corp Australia Network, September 2, 2017

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/injured-grizzly-bear-warning-park-bow-valley-survived-unscathed-1.4272095
    Car 0, grizzly 1: Bear survives without even a limp in crash that totals vehicle
    Parks staff first thought Bear 164 had been fatally injured, but were in for a surprise
    By John Gibson, CBC News Posted: Sep 01, 2017 1:10 PM MT Last Updated: Sep 02, 2017 7:44 AM MT

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning,
    I too agree, that is one beautiful dahlia bloom. Dinner plate size! I haven't grown dahlia's in a long time...you may have inspired me.
    That hot light, Roger is 20 years old, and I have no idea what kind of bulbs are in it. But its about 10-12 inches from the garage ceiling, and it was hot. I won't turn it back on...it will be replaced. Thinking about a solar light for the one on the back porch. My neighbor has one, its quite bright and seems to be doing its job. Do you know anything about solar motion activated flood lights?
    Hi Valerie
    I wish the picture had come out better, OTOH I remember I paid a whole $29 for it so...

I do not know much regarding solar powered lights. The little ones I see along the Sidewalks when walking if I am out before Sun Rise are not that bright by morning. I think I would look at the user reviews before buying and My main criteria would be how bright and how well the Battery lasts when the light is on. Also I suspect that the location of the Solar panel has an effect.
    Ed, have a great time today. Its eleven o'clock and only 72 degrees with a nice breeze in Atlanta. Sunny, couldn't ask for anything more! :)
    I've got a list today...
    Ted and I are going to have some fun tomorrow. We're going to do what we did Years ago...start Sunday off with an early morning trip to Whole Foods...(we started this when it was called Harry's, and was about mile and a half from my house.) We'd peruse Harry's wares, which were much, much better than any local grocery, and then since we were going right by it, we'd be in the parking lot waiting for Costco to open. SO, its Whole Foods to look for the lowered prices? and shop. I'm not so sure we'll make Costco... for sure we'll not be in time for their opening, and it gets crowded pretty quickly.
    Jack hasn't called, so I'm not sure when, or if he's coming. But he will deal with the lights. Ted gets the lawn mower! I'll duck outside sometime today and pick up the sticks and small branches that came out of the trees with yesterday's winds.

Oh, Roger, I saw two more articles about that paper in the Lancet this morning...neither were supportive of the findings. They gave some of the particulars about the study...um, I guess if the carbs were from cookies (rather than veg. grain. fruit, etc)..it 'could' make for some weird results. Today's debunking came from Dr. David Katz, and another from Pritikin. I won't post them. I can send a link if you're really interested. :)

Ok, time to get my day going away from this keyboard!!!
    Enjoy your day...
    I have been happy with the lower high temperatures as I have not needed to run the AC.

Well I do like getting to CostCo before they open and get a nice close parking spot as well as beating the crowds.

I would like the links, Could You post them in a mail to me here on MFP. I can leave them for reference much easier that way. Wasn't there some controversy about Pritikin or am I confusing him with someone else?

Enjoy the Day
    Roger