New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    @MDAJACMAC You can check out mine - but you will have to go back a ways - I have been on a break :) Back at it now, so you can also follow going forward. I set mine at sedentary to lose half a lb per week and I eat back my exercise calories.
  • MDAJACMAC
    MDAJACMAC Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you
  • nkchrn95
    nkchrn95 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, My name is Annie. I've lost approximately 21 lbs over the last year on a previous plan. I'm at a plateau. Now, I have several large life stressors happening at the moment, but I'm determined to push through. I want to try something different, to see if I can't break this plateau.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    nkchrn95 wrote: »
    Hello, My name is Annie. I've lost approximately 21 lbs over the last year on a previous plan. I'm at a plateau. Now, I have several large life stressors happening at the moment, but I'm determined to push through. I want to try something different, to see if I can't break this plateau.

Just be aware, diet is a stress to the body too.

Too many stresses and body will elevate cortisol and retain water, and other potential hormonal changes.

Control the stresses you can - which could mean lowering the amount of deficit or diet you take.
  • AMHS1958
    AMHS1958 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi, my name is Ali and I am 59, and I am trying to lose the last 5kg and finding it so hard. I think I have tried every diet out there and since trying to eat more (1500cals) I am finding it hard to get that amount in each day!!! My sweet tooth just keeps getting in the way. I have been with MFP for a while but just found this thread. I am so excited!!
  • chucksmith71
    chucksmith71 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, my name is Chuck Smith and I am somewhat concerned that I may be the only guy here :) . I got interested in this type of lifestyle earlier this week, when after struggling to break a plateau (on a weight watchers type plan) I gave up and went on a binge on Sunday. I was shocked when I got on the scale Tuesday and had a weight loss of 4lbs. I began to research what happened and my research eventually sent me here. I am frustrated with traditional dieting and the stress it has placed on my life for years. I am excited to try something new, and have tried similar things in the past (fat2fitradio) but really want to commit to this type of eating long term. I am glad to be a part of this group and am excited about my new lifestyle!
  • mgan9311
    mgan9311 Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi all, My name is Mitzy, new to the group. I am trying to figure out how this works and need some help.

I calculated my TDEE, but I used the calculator on the webpage instead of my Fitbit. I use a Fitbit and sync it to MFP. MFP goal is currently set to 1200 calories a day, it was 1600 and I recently started working out 5 days a week for about 4 weeks already. I've increased my intensity, however, I've only lost 1 pound but a total of 1/2 inch off my waist and hips. I am consistently eating over 1200 calories and I am absolutely starving - probably averaging about 1600-1800 a day (it varies). I'm not sleeping well and I'm tired during the day, every day, all day, until I workout, then I'm WIRED and hungry.

Using the EM2WL calculator, my TDEE is 2652. Seriously? Is that right?
    BMR says 1711 and Calories based on selected goal is 2255. Which should I be using on a daily basis?

Thanks!
  • heybales
    I would hope you'd be eating more than 1200!

Even with MFP method - that 1200 is ONLY when you do no exercise.

MFP is trying to teach a life lesson about weight maintenance.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less (that's the kicker for most).

In a diet, a tad less in either case.

So you have to decide what system to use.
    MFP method with Fitbit synced, and changing goals each day. This is good if workouts are iffy, and daily activity (which Fitbit sees - but that TDEE chart doesn't at all).

You merely have to set the deficit to a reasonable goal, which is what the whole idea is about - reasonable.

Or average weekly TDEE method, and same amount eaten daily. This is good if workouts and activity level are about the same. You can use Fitbit to get a clue here - but you unsync it from MFP.

Which style would you prefer?

And do you receive the weekly emails from Fitbit about amounts burned on average?

And what Fitbit model, and what are your workouts?
    (it's bad estimate of calories on some combo's)

As to what appears to be a high TDEE.
    Have you ever logged how much you ate that caused weight gain - or maintaining at higher weight?
    And were you even exercising then?

Until you've done that - probably no idea how high your TDEE is now - what do those Fitbit emails say?
  • mgan9311
    heybales wrote: »
    I would hope you'd be eating more than 1200!

Even with MFP method - that 1200 is ONLY when you do no exercise.

MFP is trying to teach a life lesson about weight maintenance.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less (that's the kicker for most).

In a diet, a tad less in either case.

So you have to decide what system to use.
    MFP method with Fitbit synced, and changing goals each day. This is good if workouts are iffy, and daily activity (which Fitbit sees - but that TDEE chart doesn't at all).

You merely have to set the deficit to a reasonable goal, which is what the whole idea is about - reasonable.

Or average weekly TDEE method, and same amount eaten daily. This is good if workouts and activity level are about the same. You can use Fitbit to get a clue here - but you unsync it from MFP.

Which style would you prefer?

And do you receive the weekly emails from Fitbit about amounts burned on average?

And what Fitbit model, and what are your workouts?
    (it's bad estimate of calories on some combo's)

As to what appears to be a high TDEE.
    Have you ever logged how much you ate that caused weight gain - or maintaining at higher weight?
    And were you even exercising then?

Until you've done that - probably no idea how high your TDEE is now - what do those Fitbit emails say?

I like the MFP method, since that's what I'm already doing, I just have no idea how many calories I need. I never read the Fitbit emails. I never logged how much I ate that caused weight gain and I wasn't exercising then. I had a recent weight gain from steroids...and that has been a booger to get rid of.
  • heybales
    If you never logged how much you ate, and that was before exercise - then be aware you have no concept of calorie levels really.

Read those Fitbit emails - or go look up what your average daily burn was for the last 3 weeks - if those 3 weeks were average anyway.
    Don't count a sick in bed many days week.
    Don't count a spring cleaning getting garden ready week.
    Average typical weeks of activity and exercise.

What is the average daily burn?

Now - very important to that figure - what is your model, what are your workouts and duration and frequency?

If you want to know why I ask - it's because some workouts are inflated when calories are done from HR.
    If 3 x weekly for 15 min - no big whoop if very active otherwise.
    If 6 x weekly for 60 min - it's a big deal if otherwise very sedentary.
    So it could have a bearing.

I asked that so you could get an idea of how many calories you need, and learn how it's done.
    Teach a man to fish, yada yada yada....

Just so you have in mind - steroids would just be water weight gain. That is hopefully not what you are interested in losing, but instead fat weight.
    So keep in back of mind that fat is not gained or lost fast.
    So unless the steroids have you sleeping all day long, it's water weight.

Once you get a good rough figure that is trustworthy from Fitbit, you can keep using that method to update when needed.
    Then I'll show you how to get a reasonable deficit from it, tweak MFP, and allow Fitbit to sync for changing daily amounts.
  • mgan9311
    edited May 2018
    Thanks @heybales - If its water weight, it certainly hasn't gone away yet. The steroids also messed up my sleep cycle..up all night, tired during day and hungry all the time. So I probably over ate (wasn't tracking during that time). Once I recovered from my illness, I began working out (4 weeks now, 6 days a week up to 60+ minutes a day depending on the activity - combo of cardio, strength training, flexibility on top of my daily activity).

On average I'm doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio, about 25 minutes of strength training, and 25 minutes of flex each day as of this week. I have a sedentary job (but occasionally use my stand up desk and get up and walk around once a hour. Average about 2500 steps a day not counting workouts.

From Fitbit:
    30 Day Average Calorie Burn: 2,630

• heybales
    So flexibility I could see causing increased HR, and a HR-based device thinking this is exercise worthy of doing HR-based calorie burn - but it would not be. But likely a short time, so no big whoop.

Strength would also be incorrect, as HR should be bouncing all over the place, least accurate time for HR-based calorie burn calculation.
    Those 2 are likely shorter time span though.

Cardio is fine.

Not many steps, that is indeed Sedentary range, so inaccuracy there wouldn't exactly add up to much.

So 15% of say round 2600 TDEE = 390 cal deficit for now. That's the reasonable level EM2WL goes for.

When weight changes 10 lbs less that changes a meaningful amount.
    When a rolling 3 week avg TDEE goes up or down by 300 that changes a meaningful amount.
    Time for update.

You need to create your own deficit now.
    Go to MFP settings and set weight loss goal to Maintain. Sedentary is correct level. Save.

Now go to Home - Goals - Edit Daily Nutrition Goals.
    Note the given Calories.
    Subtract that 390, and enter that figure as new Calorie amount.
    Change Macros to 40-30-30 for Carb - Fat - Prot. Save.

You should have Fitbit synced since you wanted MFP style. Should set Food settings to enable Negative adjustments for really slow days.
    When you get adjustments and your daily goal goes up - you eat to your new goal.

So if avg TDEE was 2600, some days are really higher, some lower.
    So that 390 cal deficit will sometimes be higher than 15%, sometimes lower, but not by much.
    This is the same effect you get if eating the same amount daily, but it's large difference then.

And as numbers change, you see how to update MFP.
  • mgan9311
    Ok I'll give it a shot and see what happens
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Hi

I’m Cate; I’m just starting tracking again after choosing to reset my mind and body with a year of intuitive eating and no restriction.

I’d been trying to low cal diet for far too long 30+ years and I felt exhausted and totally obsessive although i looked like I was in ‘good shape’ physically.

Ive gained 14lbs over that time but also a much better relationship with food and myself.

I’d really like to get back to around 120lb as I’m petite naturally and have 28% body fat at the mo so I’m quite flabby.

I’ve started lifting heavy twice a week with a trainer and one or two cardio sessions too.

A 10% cut of my tdee according to ew2wl site is 1860kcal.

I’m giving myself twenty weeks initially to hopefully see a tiny little change... if things are going in the right direction then I’ll stick at it for the rest of the year

Does this sound an ok plan?
  • heybales
    As long as honest on that TDEE level.
    Remember to include increased daily activity - that calc assumes sedentary and only discusses workouts, very few are truly sedentary for ALL non-exercise time including weekends, especially if kids and/or household duties, even after a 45 hr desk job.

And great plan, especially if you can throw in a 3rd lifting session, don't need trainer since it should be the same lifts as one of the other trainer sessions.

Can understand if petite and desire to eat at "normal" levels when around others, extra cardio can be useful.
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    Hi, I'm Sheila and I love to eat! More importantly, I love to eat as healthy as possible and I home cook most of my meals. I also love to work out and wish I had more time to do so. At 55 something, I am now at the heaviest point of my life. I struggle to lose the apple shape I've developed over the last couple years before my gain gets crazy out of control. I was drawn to this group because I noticed a mention of how Fitbit can help. I just bought a FB Versa two weeks ago. Still trying to learn all the benefits of Fitbit, especially in terms of nutrition. I hope the combo of this group and fitness/health/nutrition tracking can come to my rescue!
  • bluerhapsody1995
    bluerhapsody1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello,
    I am Michelle. I have lost 95 Lbs, but my doctor wants me to lose another 15 or so more lbs. I am now at 170 to 173( my weight fluctuates) and the goal weight is 155. I have until November before my 1 year follow up. I think I did well to lose 95 Lbs in 8 months, but the last bit of weight is a struggle.
  • heybales
    Hello,
    I am Michelle. I have lost 95 Lbs, but my doctor wants me to lose another 15 or so more lbs. I am now at 170 to 173( my weight fluctuates) and the goal weight is 155. I have until November before my 1 year follow up. I think I did well to lose 95 Lbs in 8 months, but the last bit of weight is a struggle.

Well, with 4 months, or about 16 weeks, that's 1 lb a week. Which sadly enters the realm of unreasonable for the last 15 lbs.

Because for the last 10-15 to not stress the body out so bad it merely adapts and prevents the loss, you need to go even slower than before.

What would be better for the remaining time is perhaps 5 weeks at attempted 500 cal deficit with lots of walking along with lifting, that increases the daily burn, and transforms the body.

But then for the last 10, 250 cal deficit is much better, while you continue the workout routine.

And then you can explain to the Dr that weight should not be the only factor in health, and arrive looking like you lost more than 15 overall because of how a good weight lifting routine has transformed you and caused loss of measurements.

But hoping that weight loss is linear (1 lb weekly) when it won't be will be stressful.
    And then having a set time limit (15 by Nov), is also stressful.
    Stress raises cortisol which increases water retained. Increased weight that will likely stress you out even more and cause even more water weight.
  • Stamphere
    Stamphere Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone! New to this group but not so new to working on losing weight. Recently retired and lots of time on my hands so would like to move more and get my health in top shape.
  • finalnull
    finalnull Posts: 20 Member
    Hi all, I'm Paul.
    Just trying to get down to 200.at 220 ish right now. Already dropped about 20 lbs in just over a month. But hit a plateau. Trying to clean up my diet to get things going again.