New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    finalnull wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Paul.
    Just trying to get down to 200.at 220 ish right now. Already dropped about 20 lbs in just over a month. But hit a plateau. Trying to clean up my diet to get things going again.

Clean diet, dirty diet (whatever that may mean to you) - has little to no bearing on weight loss compared to actually eating less than you burn.

Whatever clean means may allow you to eat the correct level and adhere to it - but if that level isn't less than you burn - doesn't matter how clean it is - you won't lose fat.

20 lbs in just over a month, if it includes the first week - included some water weight.

Besides that amount - still sounds aggressive and unreasonable if you started 40 lbs above healthy weight - so that means you likely lost some muscle mass as part of the 20% LBM lost.

That impacts what you burn daily - besides moving 20 lbs less around daily burns less too.

And if you lost muscle mass like that, body is in very stressed out state - likely retaining water weight too.

So make sure you are measuring too as main thing to observe.

And then get body back into a non-stressed stated to lose just fat - what this group is trying to encourage.
  • merrythisyear
    merrythisyear Posts: 5 Member
    Hi All, I'm not really new to this team, I guess I haven't had any notifications in awhile and then I forgot I was here, I'm trying to lose 10 lbs so my Heart Dr. will take me off my scripts
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Welcome Back :)
  • trecey2
    trecey2 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi I'm LaTrice and I'm here because I need to get regain control over my health and get my weight under control. I meed to embrace the fact that in order to lose the weight and keep it off I need to make sure it's a lifestyle change and not just something temporary. I've always been an athlete and played basketball in college and professionally. I just need some motivation to keep me going. My husband is very supportive and wants me to feel good about how I look. I am 5'11 245lbs and would like to lose 40 pounds.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome LaTrice!
  • Texassage65
    Texassage65 Posts: 24 Member
    Hello I'm new here and am hoping for some pointers to stay in good eating habits in evening time.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome Tex :D Head on over to the start here part of the forum to get going!
  • lisagetslim
    lisagetslim Posts: 16 Member
    Hi i would like to learn more & give this a try over 100 lb to loose im 48 5 ft 1 218 lbs i need to step in the right direction i am morbidly obese, need to lower my BMI , haven't really tried other diets only mfp i dont no which is the best diet to go on as there is so many to choose from .. i need something i am able to stick to and see progress and be healthy
  • heybales
    Hi i would like to learn more & give this a try over 100 lb to loose im 48 5 ft 1 218 lbs i need to step in the right direction i am morbidly obese, need to lower my BMI , haven't really tried other diets only mfp i dont no which is the best diet to go on as there is so many to choose from .. i need something i am able to stick to and see progress and be healthy

The best diet is absolutely the one you will adhere to.

Hence the best diet is usually close to what you will realistically be eating anyway, unless you can make changes you really will sustain.

It's merely eating less now than you burn now, by a reasonable amount.

And then adjusting that deficit as you have less to lose, to always keep it reasonable.

So while for health reasons now just getting some weight off fast will see the biggest improvement - it still must be by a method you will sustain. Knowing that diet breaks are useful during the progress from time to time, so something to look forward to.
  • RazanMorya
    RazanMorya Posts: 40 Member
    Hello,
    I hope there is a spot for me here! My name is Razan. I have been struggling with over weight my whole life. I have tried so many ways to lose weight! The couple last years, i lost over 22 kgs. And then couldnt really finish it to my goal. Im here to lose another 20 kgs, and I hope it works this time! Amen
  • heybales
    Razan - some good info in these threads and few topics that may not be active but still useful.
    Might scan over the subjects.
    Welcome.
  • dianasfitness2018
    dianasfitness2018 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi I’m Diana! :)
    I’ve been on and off with MyFitnessPal after I lost 20LBS just by eating 1,200-1,500 calories.
    I nonsuprisingly gained it back and actually double when I stopped eating low calories and just binge ate continuously. I am now happily working out four times a week for an hour doing weight training and moderate walking. I have based my calories I need to lose 1lb per week on my body fat percentage (35%) so I roughly eat 1,600-2,200 calories. I am still really new at this and would love some tips and advice! My goal is to lose weight but I’m not sure how much I just know I want to definitely lower my body fat to 30-25%
  • AJohnsonDrury
    AJohnsonDrury Posts: 2 Member
    I am joining to see what this is all about. I am Low FODMAP so not sure if this will work for me. I live in Maryland and have been fit (on and off) most of my life. I have back and hip issues so lifting heavy is NOT for me. I have Feed the Muscle but never really looked at it because I got hurt right when I was wanting to start it. That was a couple of years ago. I only have about 20 to lose and am 50 so these two components make it difficult.

Anyhow, I am curious to see what this is all about.

Alisa
  • Carni8991
    Carni8991 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, I'm Tina. I've been gaining and losing the same 10-15 pounds for many years. The problem is, I like to eat! It's time to stop the merry-go-round. Unfortunately, I gain easily and struggle to lose. Is it possible to enjoy food and maintain a healthy weight? I'm happy to be among friends.
  • kcmsmith0405
    welcome Diana Alisa and Tina :D
  • ihuomagold53
    ihuomagold53 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi, I'm Gold, 20 years old and a university student. I currently weigh 209lbs at 5ft6. My goal is 120. I don't exercise much cause I don't seem to have the time for it I'm almost always in class. P. S. I'm new here.
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    AnnMarieThomas91 Posts: 119 Member
    Hey new to this group, I have over 70lb to lose and hoping to achieve this in the next year =) , been on MFP for the last 3 days.

have a great day all
  • heybales
    Hi, I'm Gold, 20 years old and a university student. I currently weigh 209lbs at 5ft6. My goal is 120. I don't exercise much cause I don't seem to have the time for it I'm almost always in class. P. S. I'm new here.

I'll mention if not much exercise - resistance type will be the most required.
    Combined with reasonable deficit, and enough protein, you can retain muscle mass and only lose fat/water mass.
  • heybales
    Hey new to this group, I have over 70lb to lose and hoping to achieve this in the next year =) , been on MFP for the last 3 days.

have a great day all

Welcome.

I'll mention that while 2lbs a week for the first 20 lbs could be reasonable if very active and burning many calories daily, with only 50 left the rate should lower, then at 30 lower again, 15 left would be 1/2 lb weekly.

With 70 goal in the next year, over 1 lb weekly would need to be the avg, and that's just not reasonable rate on avg, nor is weight loss linear, throw in some diet breaks to reset the hormones, and it could become very stressful thinking you are making goal.
    Stress by itself causes water weight gain, or hides weight loss on the scale.

Just suggesting keep things reasonable, don't have time based goals, and accept the fact that if workouts transform your body while losing fat - it'll appear you've lost more, and may not even need 70 gone in the end.