2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,456 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi Hatters... not much going on lately; end of summer looming keeping every one out enjoying every last minute of it I hope!

I just had my pre op physical for the cataract surgery end of month; everything was good numbers wise (cholesterol, BP, iron finally up a bit) however my A1C (blood sugar) has JUMPED.. up to 7.7 (which I think translates to about 146 in U.S. measurements.. anyway its way too high for me and my doc... so my doc wants to put me on a 2nd med to help regulate it but I said no .. and asked for a 3 month grace period to see if I can get it down again. i've done it before so no more screwing around for me.. its not about the weight loss anymore its a reminder why I can here in the first place :) And since I have nothing but time on my hands for meal planning and meal prep I have no excuse.. so my next apt end of November WILL show a significant improvement in my A1C! I AM going to get that number at 7 by then, and below 6 before the end of the year!

• Snooozie
    830yb0d6kd35.jpg
  • Snooozie
    ok i dunno whats going on.. my post was there.. then it disappeared.. then the pic was attached then it wasn't lol...
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    I’m sorry your A1C was elevated. I know you can do this though!!! We can accomplish miraculous things when we truly focus. You’ve got this, Snoozie!!!
  • Snooozie
    Thanks Suzy - but I honestly am considering it as a "positive" if SLIGHTLY painful kick in the *kitten* LOL. It was almost more painful tho updating my weight and A1C on here - but I was o able to see that I was down to 6.9 in Dec of 2017... so I plan to be there again this December! :):):)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    uh oh, I am sorry to hear the A1C is up....but you know you can do it , so it's halfway done!! I am due to have mine checked in a month or so, and like you, I am thinking it is going to be in the 7's.. I have gotten slack in eating too many carbs.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    Congratulations on your good numbers, Snooozie! And great attitude about your A1C. I'm thinking about what you said about it being a positive. I need to get some of your attitude - it's so easy to lose focus and not have the motivation for doing this and I can see how it would be helpful to have a reminder, and a clear goal from that.

I think the trouble for me is that doing nothing means a deterioration and sometimes it's difficult to see progress when I feel I'm working at it. But in fact, I'm maybe doing little bits to prevent further deteroriation, and things would be worse if I didn't do it. In fact, I know they would be worse and I would be morbidly obese if I just relaxed and didn't do something about it.
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Good afternoon Dear Hatters. My sincerest apologies for being awol for so long. When I logged on to the Hatters page it said I had 547 posts on which to catch up ! Needless to say , I am just going to start on the last page so excuse me if I’m not totally up on everything.
    I really had needed to take a long break as my mother’s passing last November really effected me and so my focus was on other matters, but I am now ready to refocus on my healthy lifestyle and weight reduction- yay! I need to try something different just for variety, so I joined weight watchers today with a friend. My friend is male so I’m sure he will make progress in leaps and bounds compared to me, but it’s fun to have someone with whom I can go to the meetings and laugh with about our journey.
    I’m afraid for some strange reason , something to do with hormones and aging I assume, my midsection suddenly expanded like crazy and kept going for about a month until I went up an entire size! It takes 25 pounds for me to go up or down a size, and yet i has not gained a single pound, just gained a huge pregnant looking middle :/ I got so discouraged by this that I quit watching what I put in my mouth and ended gaining weight on top of it Geeze Louise . So here I am, starting over again, looking forward to watching the scale move the other way!

Snooozie- scary about the A1C and I know just what you mean by it being the needed kick in the butt. I truly admire your attitude and perseverance!

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    Welcome back! I'm so sorry about your mother. I know how I felt when I lost my own mother, so I understand - it does completely change your focus, and everything seems touched by the loss. *hugs*

You mentioned having a shape change - I don't know if that was after you lost your mother, but I remember when I lost mine I had some strange things going on and my doctor said that grief can affect your hormones in strange ways. I had a shape change too recently (waist expanding without actually gaining weight), which I think is hormone related. I was talking to a friend yesterday and we've both being going through various investigations and tests to rule out serious stuff, when it seems that most of our list of symptoms are menopause related! It's good that they investigate, of course. And of course, bearing in mind that swelling and bloating can be signs of serious things, so worth getting checked out.

It's great that you have a friend to go to weight watchers with! Especially if it is somebody you can laugh with!
  • seehe
    Vail ~ Thanks much for your understanding and kind words. And yes my shape shifting starting happening exactly at the time of my mother’s passing, so interesting what your doctor had to say. My older sister also got a large middle when she was around my age, and I remember thinking how weird that was and she should go to a doctor- she never did see a doc about it and is luckily fine though. I suspect it is just some weird hormone or age thing, and perhaps from stress as you suggest cause the timing was spot on I actually went through menopause in my mid forties and I’m 62, butI I think hormones can do a number on one post menopause as well.
    I hope all your test results and your friend’s test results turn out ok. Please keep me posted.
  • seehe

I just looked up middle age spread, , although mine is more like senior spread , and found an interesting article which supports your doctor’s theory Vail. I copied and pasted part of it below ,

However where we gain weight is governed by our hormones and imbalance can lead to an increase in belly fat. To lose this stubborn fat you need optimal hormone balance in addition to diet and exercise. Menopausal women are a good example. They may not gain weight, but their bodily proportions change. This is due to the influence of estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. As these hormones fall cortisol, and insulin rise leading to change in the bodily proportions.

Estrogen is protective against belly fat gain contributing to the lower risk of heart disease in females which rises after menopause. Estrogen and progesterone balance prior to menopause are also important and estrogen is the biggest factor in increasing fat storage at the hips and thighs providing the classic female shape. Progesterone balancing estrogen reduces the storage of fat around the waist. High stress has been shown to negatively impact progesterone, so a woman who sees fat accumulating around the waist may want to work to reduce stress and raise progesterone. Another important hormone impacting belly fat is cortisol, this is the hormone that is produced during stress, and can be in the form of any stress on the body such as dieting, over exercise, psychological stress and lack of sleep.

Excess insulin and insulin resistance lead to an increase in intra abdominal fat which in turn increases insulin resistance and then further weight gain.

Thyroid disorders become more common as we age and 1 in 8 women will develop a thyroid disorder and more have a borderline issue which can still impact weight.
  • suzyqholland
    Welcome back! Interesting article but I have to admit that it depresses me a bit. Menopause, the gift that keeps on giving. I’m so glad you have someone to go to WW with. I haven’t had any forward progress since I lost my best friend and weight loss/exercise partner. It does make it a more pleasant journey when you have someone to share it with.

Snoozie, your earlier post has given me a kick in the *kitten* (as you would say). It reminded me of why I started on MFP to begin with....A1C levels. I’ve been limping along for three years now, slowly (sometimes not so slowly) gaining weight. This past year I have only been halfway trying. That’s got to change! I have the chant of “pre-diabetes” in my head now whenever I get the urge to eat something I know I shouldn’t. I’ve got to go get my blood work done. I’m just really afraid of what it will show.

It’s Labor Day weekend so we have an extra day. We’re thinking about going on an overnight hiking trip but it’s so darn hot and humid. We’ll see what we decide. Have a great weekend Hatters!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Hello, ladies, I have been missing in action However, I have been reading comments on here on and off without commenting.
    I had a lot of changes on my job that I tried to accept, but could not and I ended up quitting without a plan in place. I am a person that acts on feelings. If you get into the color personality scheme I am definitely RED. Anyhow, I have found a new job. At my age all I wanted to do was retired but unfortunately I cannot afford to.
    So I am settling back into some type of normalcy and just wanted to say hi and the conversations that I have read are just great. Suzy that bear was just too close for comfort.
    My weight is like a yo-yo, but it hasn't gone too far over, but, also I have not loss any pounds that wants to stay loss.
  • seehe
    edited September 2018
    I had posted earlier today, but I see now that it must have gotten lost in fitness pal cyberland!

Suzy- Hope you were able to have a fun hiking trip without too much heat

Milove- good to see you - I was also missing in action but am back. Sounds like you have had a lot going on. Glad you were able to find a new and better job, and good for you for not going over very far even though you are yo-yoing. I can't say I'm yo-yo 'cause I only seem to have go up!

I came down with a GI bug last night, and was up most the night from it, but had a nice lazy day today and am doing better this evening except for a little light headedness. I'm pretty sure I will be feeling better tomorrow. Probably not good enough to exercise, so another lazy day tomorrow, maybe this time floating on a raft at the pool.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day Weekend!
  • suzyqholland
    Floating on a raft in the pool sounds like absolute heaven! I’m sorry you’re under the weather though. Sounds unpleasant, I hate stomach issues.

Welcome back, both of you! I feel like we got the band back together! :D

Milove, so sorry about the job but maybe this one will be so much better...so it could be a silver lining thing. The whole yo-yo thing describes my last three years but I am up more than down.

We decided to just do a day hike yesterday because we have a lot to do around the house and it’s just too darn hot. It was a good decision...the flies were out in mass and would have driven us crazy while camping. We hiked the steepest, tallest incline on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia called Blood Mountain. It wasn’t much compared to Colorado but it was a 1500 foot climb over two miles. Whew! It wasn’t easy but I did it!!! I’m really proud of myself!

• suzyqholland
    ipakk6z8ho8e.jpeg
  • Snooozie
    Suzy - you BETTER be damn proud of yourself.... honest to god you both inspire and shame me in the same breath!! I cannot even conceive the concept of doing a 1500ft climb - I truly can't and I am so impressed - when I read your post and saw the pic my mind immediately went back to that kineisiologist at work a few years ago who was putting me through the mobility tests and fitness test.. and was talking about "skinny people" vs" fit " people.. with the goal being to become a "fit" person. He showed me huge guys working weights in the gym with pecs the size of pumpkins who couldn't run 50 feet.. (let alone climb a mountain) and skinny marathon runners who couldn't lift a 10lb bag of potatos.. his point being fit is the important part.. not the weight we carry. And you my friend - are pretty damn fit to be able to do that climb! and all the other hiking you do! So kudos to you and thank you for posting this - I needed this right now! Well done Suzy.. well done!

Milove and Susan - welcome back; I think the good thing about having a group of women our own age is that all of us have dealt with so many life issues by now that our own experiences allow us to empathize with what others are going through, and we understand the need to retreat and deal when necessary. I'm glad both of you seem to be moving forward to better places now :smile:
  • suzyqholland
    Thank you so much Snoozie! I needed that reminder about being fit. Seriously, thank you friend. <3
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Suzy you guys look great and what a beautiful picture of nature behind you. Keep on climbing.

Thanks for the welcoming, it feels nice to be back.

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Hello to You all....especially Susan and Milove. Good to hear from you .

Suzy, how can you look so fabulous and happy after a climb like that.
    I agree with Snoozie, "you both inspire and shame me in the same breath!!"

Milove, sorry to hear about having to leave a job, you have been with , glad to hear that you have found something else. I hope it is a great fit for you and you will be much happier there.

Snoozie, I hope you are finding things to keep you from eating stuff you really wish you hadn't ...I know when I am cooped up in the house, I tend to aimlessly wander into the kitchen and eat little bits of everything trying to find something I want and try to call it not eating much, when in truth, I probably have consumed a whole meals worth and then some..

Susan, Glad to hear you are getting in a better place after your mom's loss. My heart goes out to you.