TEAM: The Slimsons (February)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154

Replies

• AB0215
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to February!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 32, soon to be 33 ugh, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 20 months or so, I decided to change that, I have been working towards that goal for the past year. I'm down about 83 lbs and I still have a way to go, and I just recommitted to my goal. Let's do this!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5.6 pounds. I'm currently gearing up to train for another Olympic Style Weight lifting competition and maybe that might be in a few months, and I'm hoping to do a lot better than in my last one!

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming I can remember to do that) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: February Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for me to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to February and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley. Doing great!! My name is Vicky. This is my second month with this team. Last month wasn’t so successful, but it’s a new month. Been battling a fierce cold last week and finally starting to feel better. (Well at least I can breath out of my nose today lol). Not going to stress to much about not getting in my workouts as I know it’s important to take care of myself. But I do look forward to getting back there. Hopefully at some point this week. Goal for this month 5 pounds. But most importantly to pay more attention to my macros. I tend to eat a LOT of carbs. So really going to try to keep my carb count below 100gms for the day. And the hubby is on board with this. So that helps. So many I know do keto and I just don’t know if I could restrict my carbs that much. So for now will try to stick to a lower carb diet.
  • AB0215
    Options
    vicky2767 wrote: »
    Hi Ashley. Doing great!! My name is Vicky. This is my second month with this team. Last month wasn’t so successful, but it’s a new month. Been battling a fierce cold last week and finally starting to feel better. (Well at least I can breath out of my nose today lol). Not going to stress to much about not getting in my workouts as I know it’s important to take care of myself. But I do look forward to getting back there. Hopefully at some point this week. Goal for this month 5 pounds. But most importantly to pay more attention to my macros. I tend to eat a LOT of carbs. So really going to try to keep my carb count below 100gms for the day. And the hubby is on board with this. So that helps. So many I know do keto and I just don’t know if I could restrict my carbs that much. So for now will try to stick to a lower carb diet.

@vicky2767 Welcome back! It is extremely important to take care of yourself, and part of that is knowing when you need to take it easy and let your body heal, and nutrition is a super important part of that.
    You'd be surprised at how easy it is to restrict your carbs that much as many Keto approved carbs are low carb veggies and you can eat a lot of them for your 20 grams of net carbs. The trick is choosing better food choices, and I think if you start limiting your carbs and eating more veggies like that you'd be surprised at how much lower you could really go if you wanted to. If you were interested in trying out Keto, I'd challenge you to stick to your 100 grams of carbs and count them as total carbs and then subtract out the fiber and see how close you would be to 20 grams of net carbs...just for your own purposes, might help you to see if keto might be possible for you.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Do you take a multi-vitamin? Sometimes they will help prevent colds.

I could never do a keto diet. I struggle to keep my net carbs under 90, which is what my doctor wants.
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options
    Hello, all. I'm Cindy and this will be my 4th month with the challenge. 4 1/2 months ago I got disgusted with being fat and decided to do something about it. I've lost 45 lbs so far and I've got about 95 lbs to go. My diet goals are primarily to stay over 100 protein and under 90 carbs....with a total calorie limit of 1350. When I first started on my journey I couldn't walk around the block. Walking from my car to my office was exhausting. I now ride my exercise bike 12 - 13 miles a day as well as walk a couple of miles during the day when I am at work. I need to start some sort of weight training but I haven't been successful in talking myself into that yet. My weight goal for the month is to lose 10 lbs and finally get out of the morbidly obese range. This is a great group ....it helps keep me accountable.
  • vicky2767
    edited January 2019
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »

@vicky2767 Welcome back! It is extremely important to take care of yourself, and part of that is knowing when you need to take it easy and let your body heal, and nutrition is a super important part of that.
    You'd be surprised at how easy it is to restrict your carbs that much as many Keto approved carbs are low carb veggies and you can eat a lot of them for your 20 grams of net carbs. The trick is choosing better food choices, and I think if you start limiting your carbs and eating more veggies like that you'd be surprised at how much lower you could really go if you wanted to. If you were interested in trying out Keto, I'd challenge you to stick to your 100 grams of carbs and count them as total carbs and then subtract out the fiber and see how close you would be to 20 grams of net carbs...just for your own purposes, might help you to see if keto might be possible for you.

I could never do a keto diet. I struggle to keep my net carbs under 90, which is what my doctor wants.

Thanks Ashley. @AB0215

@CindyJNC1963 Yes I do take a multivitamin. Now that I’m trying to be aware, I’m surprised by how much carbs are everywhere. Lol. Today was a success though. 84gms for the day.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Hello, all. I'm Cindy and this will be my 4th month with the challenge. 4 1/2 months ago I got disgusted with being fat and decided to do something about it. I've lost 45 lbs so far and I've got about 95 lbs to go. My diet goals are primarily to stay over 100 protein and under 90 carbs....with a total calorie limit of 1350. When I first started on my journey I couldn't walk around the block. Walking from my car to my office was exhausting. I now ride my exercise bike 12 - 13 miles a day as well as walk a couple of miles during the day when I am at work. I need to start some sort of weight training but I haven't been successful in talking myself into that yet. My weight goal for the month is to lose 10 lbs and finally get out of the morbidly obese range. This is a great group ....it helps keep me accountable.

Great goals Cindy. Maybe just get some 3 or 5 pound weights and just start with that. I think you’re doing fantastic. Keep it up. It’s not only about the number on the scale but those small victories of being able to walk to the office without being exhausted and riding that exercise bike 12-13 Miles per day now.
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options

Thanks Ashley. @AB0215

@CindyJNC1963 Yes I do take a multivitamin. Now that I’m trying to be aware, I’m surprised by how much carbs are everywhere. Lol. Today was a success though. 84gms for the day.

I know...it's crazy how many carbs hide in foods. I did pretty good today too...47 net carbs (77 overall).

As for weights, I do have resistance bands. I know what to do .....it's a matter of getting over my mental block.
  • AB0215
    edited January 2019
    Options

@CindyJNC1963 Welcome back! I think you're doing an amazing job, keep up the great work!!
  • AB0215
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Daily Post (Sunday)

Track: Nope
    Calories: Nope, probably
    Exercise:Nope, still sick. Decided to eat what sounds good and sit the weekout of from exercise

Comments: Still sick. Decided to eat what sounds good and sit the weekend out of from exercise, since I worked out hard on Friday, while sick, and I'm still sore. Guess I'm not a spring chicken any more...I am not looking forward to what the scale might say tomorrow.
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My names Beth and this is my 2nd month on The Slimsons! I’ve really benefitted from this challenge. I love daily check ins, it really helps my accountability. Seeing everyone being so motivated and getting their exercise in, it’s just the best! If you all are so dedicated then I can be too!! I’m looking forward to February and what comes with it!

I’ll lose about 8 lbs in January. I’d love to lose another 8 in February. I’m hoping to increase my exercise as I lose weight and I get a little less stress on my joints. I’m going to continue watching my macro numbers, makes me feel more in control. Here’s to another good month! Best wishes to all!
  • Sweatspiration
    Sweatspiration Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Newbie in this challenge. Used to be very fit but struggling with a disability that decided to make my life fun out of nowhere & limits my mobility. No more daily 5 mile runs or long workouts at the gym, sadly. Gained a bunch of weight and need to get it under control. I excel at stress eating so.... Would love love love to get out of the 150s for February!
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options
    Daily Post (Sunday)

Exercise:Nope, still sick. Decided to eat what sounds good and sit the weekout of from exercise

Comments: Still sick. Decided to eat what sounds good and sit the weekend out of from exercise, since I worked out hard on Friday, while sick, and I'm still sore. Guess I'm not a spring chicken any more...I am not looking forward to what the scale might say tomorrow.

Did you mean to post your daily post in the February group?

Glad you are taking care of yourself. Hope you feel better soon.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Sunday)

Technically I meant to do both, encouraging newbies to start tracking and getting into the swing of things and still posting on January, but apparently I missed the other one.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Daily Post (Sunday)

Comments: Still sick. Decided to eat what sounds good and sit the weekend out of from exercise, since I worked out hard on Friday, while sick, and I'm still sore. Guess I'm not a spring chicken any more...I am not looking
    forward to what the scale might say tomorrow.
    Take care of yourself too!! Your body needs to recover.
    batgirl140 wrote: »
    Hi there! My names Beth and this is my 2nd month on The Slimsons! I’ve really benefitted from this challenge. I love daily check ins, it really helps my accountability. Seeing everyone being so motivated and getting their exercise in, it’s just the best! If you all are so dedicated then I can be too!! I’m looking forward to February and what comes with it!

I’ll lose about 8 lbs in January. I’d love to lose another 8 in February. I’m hoping to increase my exercise as I lose weight and I get a little less stress on my joints. I’m going to continue watching my macro numbers, makes me feel more in control. Here’s to another good month! Best wishes to all!

Great goals.
    Hi all! Newbie in this challenge. Used to be very fit but struggling with a disability that decided to make my life fun out of nowhere & limits my mobility. No more daily 5 mile runs or long workouts at the gym, sadly. Gained a bunch of weight and need to get it under control. I excel at stress eating so.... Would love love love to get out of the 150s for February!

Sorry to hear about your illness that limits your mobility. You will get your weight under control. You say you stress eat, maybe have a glass of water first so there’s something else going in your mouth instead of food. Or try a journal. I found keeping a journal helpful. I don’t want to eat as much after I’ve let out all those feelings on paper.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Daily Post (Sunday)

I’ve realized I didn’t do my daily check in yesterday. (Sun Jan 27)
    Tracked yes
    Calories under (carbs under 100 gms for the day woohoo)
    Exercise not yet. Still a little stuffy. Will get back to exercising when this cold is finally completely gone

• vicky2767
    Options

Thanks Ashley. @AB0215

I know...it's crazy how many carbs hide in foods. I did pretty good today too...47 net carbs (77 overall).

As for weights, I do have resistance bands. I know what to do .....it's a matter of getting over my mental block.

Great job Cindy on your carb intake!!! As for the weights, yes sometimes the mental block is harder than actually doing it. I found that out when I first started running. Once I worked up to being able to run a half hour straight, I just couldn’t get passed that mental block of going further. It took months. Finally one day I just did 45 min. I remember that day so clearly. I was still running on a treadmill in my garage and I was soooo proud of myself for getting passed that block - I had this huge stupid grin on my face. Now that I think about it if anyone actually saw me they’d think me insane. But yes, the mental block can be hard to over come. Have faith my friend. You will conquer that too!
  • AB0215
    Options
    batgirl140 wrote: »

@batgirl140 Welcome back Beth! I agree, it's great to see everyone else succeeding and makes you want to stick to it too so you can be successful too. I'm so glad that you're joining us for Feb!
  • AB0215
    Options

@GoalDigger11 Welcome! I excel at eating, don't necessarily need stress so there's that. You can still get weight under control with limited mobility, you got this!!
  • Sweatspiration
    Sweatspiration Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I like the journaling idea. I used to journal for short periods of time in my life when unbelievably stressed, so perhaps it's time to jot down what's making me tick every time I start heading for the fridge.
This discussion has been closed.