The 2019 Move It Monday Challenge!

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    And here's our Week 5 Challenge! It's a GREAT way to move!

jdwaoowrp4rg.jpg

“Let’s dance!” ― David Bowie

Want to have fun and still get some cardio? We recommend a little boogie-woogie. This Monday, dance to improve your mood, your heart, and your life!

No matter what kind of dance you do – swing, waltz, tap, modern – when you dance, you move your arms and legs and strengthen your core. This adds up to great cardio, which means weight management, a stronger heart and lungs, and reduced stress.

But let’s not forget this incredible list of other benefits: Increased muscular strength, endurance, and motor fitness. Better agility, coordination, balance, and flexibility. And maybe the most important, a better mood! Some therapists even prescribe dance to work with shyness, anxiety, and social issues.

You can put on some music at home or sign up for a class to learn the basic steps of any style of dance you like from the cha-cha to the bunny hop. It’s only a matter of wearing comfortable clothes, good and sturdy shoes, and gettin’ a move on!

So, this Monday grab your partner by the hand and do the macarena! Move it Monday is an international campaign committed to encouraging people of all fitness levels to get moving on Mondays. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! We’d love to hear how dance provides a workout you can look forward to week after week.

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    83 minutes on the Gazelle and yoga.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,978 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn’t do any dancing this morning, but I have a dance class planned for this Friday. I did meet my sister for our Monday workout and walked a lot because she was running late.

Here is an article about the ball I attended in January. No pictures of me, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/arts/jane-austen-evening.html?fbclid=IwAR3ImrARN_c-DNI0S5DvCP2U3mglw0FrhG5R83IDbpOogwm7fu6TlQSL7X0#click=https://t.co/qY53BdFS4a
  • Toyota100
    Toyota100 Posts: 182 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I missed last week I got sick. I haven't been sick in years. I use to have my own office. We just moved to a brand new built hospital. Now, I have a cubicle. Everybody was sick and I just knew I wouldn't get sick. Well, I just got better. I had a cough, sore throat and cold symptoms. I slept last Monday 17 hours off and on. I didn't do any exercising.

This week I'm back at it. I started of this Monday rocking it! I have a desk job, however I had 10k steps by 4pm. I took frequent breaks and the steps added up quickly. Now that everybody is gone in cubicle land, I'm about to do an exercise session at my standing desk.

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    83 minutes on the Gazelle and yoga.

Great job on the gazelle and yoga, @PinkyPan1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Well, I didn’t do any dancing this morning, but I have a dance class planned for this Friday. I did meet my sister for our Monday workout and walked a lot because she was running late.

Here is an article about the ball I attended in January. No pictures of me, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/arts/jane-austen-evening.html?fbclid=IwAR3ImrARN_c-DNI0S5DvCP2U3mglw0FrhG5R83IDbpOogwm7fu6TlQSL7X0#click=https://t.co/qY53BdFS4a

Loved the photos in the article! I bet it was fun to attend!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Toyota100 wrote: »
    I missed last week I got sick. I haven't been sick in years. I use to have my own office. We just moved to a brand new built hospital. Now, I have a cubicle. Everybody was sick and I just knew I wouldn't get sick. Well, I just got better. I had a cough, sore throat and cold symptoms. I slept last Monday 17 hours off and on. I didn't do any exercising.

This week I'm back at it. I started of this Monday rocking it! I have a desk job, however I had 10k steps by 4pm. I took frequent breaks and the steps added up quickly. Now that everybody is gone in cubicle land, I'm about to do an exercise session at my standing desk.

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!

Glad you are back and feeling better, @Toyota100. Sleeping for 17 hours indicates just how sick you were. Great job getting your steps in today! You are very committed and that’s great!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I didn’t work out today so tomorrow will be my Monday. My grandkids were here on Friday and we did “Just Dance” on the Wii. I’m going to start practicing so I can keep up with them. It’s a fun workout.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I did a little dancing today. Plus more walking on the treadmill. In about a month I’ll be able to resume walking outdoors, but for now the treadmill is just fine.

Happy Move It Monday, Everyone!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I went for a hike through the desert and almost reach the bottom of the Superstition Mountains on Monday while we were on our mini vacation. It was so serene and I cannot tell you how good it felt to take a walk outside without a coat on. Also, I've never been to AZ before, so the desert was new to me and I've always wanted to see the Suspicion Mountains! Was a great day!

10,577 steps on our hike.

I didn't see the challenge to dance until tonight, so I will do that tomorrow since I'm back home in the cold and won't be doing much outside for another month or so...

Nice job everyone!
  • themedalist
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Our Week 6 Challenge is a great one for anyone who sits at a home or work office much of the day. Chair Yoga!

4utui6g8ezaj.jpg

3 Chair Yoga Poses For All Fitness Levels this Monday

Yoga is relaxing. Plus, it helps stave off stress and anxiety, builds strength, improves cardiovascular health, and curbs low-back pain. Start your week moving with some yoga on Monday.

Adaptable to all fitness levels, anyone can do yoga. In a typical workday, it’s normal for tension to build up in your shoulders, neck, and back. Doing a few simple yoga moves can help relieve built-up tension. Chair yoga can reduce the strain and stress on your joints, can be done in the office or at home, and is highly adjustable for all the poses.

A few poses to get you started.

Cow pose
    Sitting in a chair without wheels, align your feet with your knees, place your hands on your knees, and sit upright. Then, gently flex your belly and move it forward, naturally rocking your hips forward, without moving the position of your head. This yoga pose relieves lower back and sciatica pain.

Cat pose
    Sitting in a chair without wheels, align your feet with your knees, place your hands on your knees and sit upright. Without moving your hips or shifting in the chair, curl your head forward until you’re looking down, then your shoulders, and finally round your back. Think of a cat making a big stretch after waking up from a nap. This pose strengthens the spine.

Side angle

Sitting in a chair without wheels, bend over and place your right palm on the floor, outside your left foot. Extend your left arm up to the heavens. Turn your head to follow your left arm, to gaze at your left hand. Take a moment to feel the stretch, then do the opposite side. Place your left palm on the floor, outside your right foot. Extend your right arm up and follow it with your gaze to the right hand. This pose improves the flexibility of your spine.

Synchronizing the breath with the asana allows you to stretch for longer plus reap the benefits of breathing: relaxation, calmness, tranquility, and a slower heart rate. You can destress and keep moving at the same time.

If you like the poses, and want to do more, visit these other articles on our site for further instructions on chair yoga and bed yoga. Make Mondays about learning and attaining new goals so you can keep the good vibes flowing throughout the week.

We always want to hear from you, so let us know how your chair yoga session went on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Original post: https://www.moveitmonday.org/3-chair-yoga-poses-fitness-levels-monday/
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    45 minutes on the Gazelle and I a did a sequence of the chair yoga.
  • themedalist
    Options
    40 minute treadmill walk and yes, some chair yoga!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I think many of us feel this way about Monday. Hopefully, our Move It Monday challenge is changing perspectives on Mondays. It really can be a clean slate for a new week!

mwlmh0eozquc.png
  • 77tes
    Options
    My usual Monday workout with my sister plus a walk in the park. I’ll do the chair yoga this evening.
  • themedalist
    edited March 2019
    Options
    xfx08gd9pcdz.jpg

This Monday Make the Most Out of Your Lunch Break

Do you experience the 3:00 PM slump on weekday afternoons? Try adding a mid-day workout! Using your lunch hour to get some physical activity may have positive effects on the way you work during the day. You don’t even have to break a sweat (unless you want to)! This Monday, start incorporating an exercise routine into your work day to keep your body moving and your mind sharp.

The Center for Disease Control recommends that people of all fitness levels and ages get about 150 minutes of moderate-level activity a week – or 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Many people find it difficult to commit to a routine when they have busy lives, but if you start establishing a daily habit this Monday, it can become a normal part of your life that you won’t give a second thought! Those 30 minutes a day can also happen in smaller increments. Using your lunch break to move around for 10, 15, or 20 minutes can make a noticeable difference in how you feel.

Studies have shown that exercise impacts your cognitive performance by improving concentration, memory, creativity, and the ability to learn new things. Exercise is also a proven stress reducer, which can come in handy if you’ve been having a hectic day. So, what can you do during your lunch hour to get moving? Plenty of things!

One of the best exercises you can do is walking, an easy, cardiovascular activity that will help you clear your mind and work some muscles. Another idea is a simple yoga routine that can be done at your desk or while seated in a chair. Yoga provides another great opportunity to practice mindfulness so you can refresh your mind and body before returning to work. There are also plenty of mini-workouts you can do to wake yourself up, get your blood flowing, and get toned. For the truly dedicated fitness buff, use the time to hit the gym!

If you’re wondering when to eat if you’re using your lunch hour for a workout, eat something light and nutritious before you get moving then have a healthy lunch when you return. Stick to a schedule and you won’t miss a beat!

Monday is a great day to start a new routine. Adding a workout to your lunch hour is a great way to make the most of your free time and keep yourself moving – and productive!

Connect with us to learn more Move It Monday tips on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Original post: https://www.moveitmonday.org/lunch-break-workout/
  • 77tes
    Options
    Today, I am working an extra shift, so I could not meet my sister for our usual Monday workout. :'( However, I didn't want to miss out on an active Monday morning, so I marched about my house for 10 minutes, and then walked around campus because I got to work early. I had a total of 34 active minutes before I sat down to work. I'll try to squeeze some activity into my lunch break, but it isn't very long.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @77tes Your tenacity always inspires me! <high-fiving you from Wisconsin>

I'm home from work today with a sore throat, cough and headache. It's -12 degrees outside, so I won't be walking outside. But I do plan on going in the basement later and doing either a Leslie Sansone DVD or maybe one of my other Walk Indoors DVDs. I'll pop back on and update after I complete it.

Can I just say how tired of winter and icy roads I am? (sigh)
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    73 minutes on the Gazelle and yoga.