Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Mine was a harrowing day; extra time in the dentist's and then my transportation back never showed up. The good things were; cutting out Aleve seems to be helping get rid of the swelling (down 5 pounds) and managed to get home just in time for the greeting party for our new chaplain and his wife. I was impressed with both and the "appetizers" were fab!
    PATSY, how impressive! I just watched your governor toss his hat in the ring!
    SANDY , the wedding is over? Isn't HI gorgeous? Grabbing sun (even under clouds) is like nothing I ever experienced.
    My mouth feels like a big fat balloon from all the novocaine.
    I can't concentrate and keep losing this post so............
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello sneakers. A wild night of high winds and torrential rain kept me awake so a slow start to the day. With the compressed nerve still giving me a lot of pain I've decided to stop the blood thinner pills so I can take a strong ibuprofen and so far it's working. George and I strolled slowly round the block and having checked the hens didn't get blown away am now resting for half an hour before toasting a bagel for lunch then hoping rain holds off for my Gardner's visit. My hair feels short after yesterday's appointment but so much more tidy and I've decided to try a different shade of highlights next time to see if I can do something to improve my awful natural badger grey look!

Fed up with my phone changing my spelling!!

Must get on... back later.
    Jackie

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,103 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Good day. A bit of sunshine this morning but will disappear soon we are told. Overnight the snow will return so, today is Tai Chi day and more errands! My credit union’s upgraded bill pay system did not come on line yesterday so I guess I will really go old school and actually drop off a check with my Internet provider today. It is getting too close to the due date since they say you just allow 3 to 5 for processing. At least after many attempts and resets I do have access to see my accounts. Progress I guess.

Jackie, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing nerve pain. Horrible development but glad to hear the ibuprofen is helping. Ha, I need a haircut as well but have put it off. Doesn’t really matter to me. At some point I will wake up and it will be driving me crazy and I will call for an appointment. Good luck in searching for a new color.

Buzz, oh my what a day. I hope you do not have many more dentist trips on the horizon. Very disappointing that the transportation did not work out. But happy you returned in time to meet the new chaplain and spouse. Happier still that you do like them. Hope all traces of the novocaine have disappeared.

Hi Jeri, Sandy, Anne, Patsy, Marie, Diane, Karen and all Sneakers.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just a quick hello. Been on the phone for hours sorting pensions out etc and going over my taxes again with Mark. All seems okay so paper work on its way.
    Jilly is happy if very cold pawed. Had a long walk with Mark on the remaining ice.
    Talk tomorrow hopefully.
    Anne.
  • lesutherl
    lesutherl Posts: 76 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi, am back after a break. Just got out of Kaiser Hospital I fell and could not get up, also I had the flu. but am home now and on the way to feeling better. I am 81 so I decided to get more serious about losing weight so I don't end up in a care center
    Laura
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Lesutherl, so sorry to hear of your fall. Kaiser has hospitals in multiple locations, but I am familiar with the Sunnyside location SE of Portland, OR. They took good care of my dad, and my mom is still getting her healthcare through them.

Hope you have any assistance you may need to get back to 100%
  • weaklink109
    Options
    delraybuzz, you are not seeing things, it's really me. Long time since I posted in here. Sorry to hear about your dental transportation issue.

Feel better soon.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello everyone. Just had a multi-paragraph post go "poof" on the app, I'll have to redo it later, using a notepad, and paste it in.

I'm an oldie but a goodie who joined MFP in 2009. Looking forward to reconnecting with some other familiar faces who are still on here, like Sandydur, linder4866, Delraybuzz, and others whose logins escape me right now.

Barb
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Well! This is exciting! I don’t think I know weaklink or lesutherl. Happy to meet you. It will be great to get to know you both. I have been here for awhile, at least 3 years, I believe. For some reason, the sneakers have always been tolerant and accepting as well as supportive to me. I know I test their endurance from time to time. It is wonderful when (new) friends drop back into our life I do love that little pup in the avatar.

Our day was was cloudy and cold. In fact the whole week is to be dreary. Not spring yet. I thought I saw a daffodil sprout. Not sure. I am one of the few that love daylight saving time. I think it is because I am not a early bird. Nice to see a little longer day.

Laura: falling is my on going and forever fear. I have arthritis and balance issues. I have fallen in the recent past and the struggle to get up was monumental. I am now working with a senior pt therapist to strengthen muscles and learn strategies to get up after a fall. A double whammy for me...old and fat! Life challenges!
    Patsy

• Gawanne35
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Oh my, this IS exciting. I know BARB of course having been with the Sneakers 4 or 5 years the same as PATSY. I had a different name in the past after iPad difficulties. Have two groups somehow entwined? Whatever, the more the merrier! Do you still dance BARB?
    Hope you are feeling better LAURA. I feel like you about being in a care centre. Not really me to be surrounded by others - 24 hours. Today, at 83, I'm going to get serious about losing weight. Goodbye pasties and pies and more gardening (IF spring ever arrives), and walking with my wee dog Jilly, or as my two sons call her - Jilly Bean.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. Light snow this morning. I think I will stay home. My Tai Chi lesson is cancelled as my instructor isn’t available this afternoon. Will probably skip library ladies as well. I have lots to do. Laundry started, a stack of paperwork staring at me and I am reading three books right now. One is on my Kindle app and I find I cannot read very long without eye strain so score another point for actual paper books!

Wow, returning Sneakers! Lovely surprise.

Laura, oh what a combo, flu and a fall. I am so sorry. Glad you are home now and on the mend. Since I adore Tai Chi and Qigong, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone trying to improve balance. My balance is much better now but I was very fortunate to find an excellent instructor who works primarily with older folks and is conscious of individual limitations and urges all to NOT do anything that is painful and to be gentle with the joints. I will stop the commercial now.

Barb, hello once again! Welcome home and I am looking forward to catching up with you again.

Patsy, oh yes, no spring yet here either. I think perhaps we may change over to rain this weekend. That may be progress. I am not looking forward to resettling all the clocks. I am happy for everything I have that changes automatically.

Anne, good morning. Are you receiving the sunshine today?

Sandy, hope you are having a good visit.

Jackie, hello, did I miss your post?

Hello Jeri, Karen, Diane, Marie, Barbie and all our Sneakers.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Yes!!! We've got glorious sunshine today LIN, but it's still chilly. However, with a slight warm up and less chance of delivery men slipping on my patches of ice, just ordered online groceries again for the first time in ages. Delivery tomorrow. This is because I won't be seeing Michael until Sunday and I don't want to spend family day shopping for groceries. However with this iPad on the blink I AM thinking of looking at lap tops etc and using my desk again. Any favourite makes girls. I haven't a clue!
    Anne, basking in the sunshine flooding my LR. 🙃🌞🐶
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    My day has nearly gone and apart from managing to walk both dogs this morning in sunshine without us all getting tied up in leads, not a great deal more has been done. A month on from my new hip I've finally realised I must not rush at things.... better late than never!
    When it comes to tax returns, the work is carried out by our UK tax office and I get an annual evaluation of my income (tiny) and deducted tax but end up with 4 tax codes, all different and a whooping lump of tax taken off a small amount of money that was compensation after being mis-sold a pension scheme. Each year I query it and each year I receive a complex letter full of gobble-de-gook so although gone are the days I trusted any government department my hands appear to be tied!!
    I'm once again encouraged by the work the gardener did on Wednesday as it seems she is happiest attacking the jungle, or wild bottom as I call it, rather than gently pruning a rose or hydrangea so if all goes well with my recovery I'm planning to do some gentle work myself next week.

Lin, I understand paper books are becoming popular again and perhaps eye strain has a lot to do with it. I love to see a small stack of books on my coffee table waiting to be read!

Hello Laura. I do remember your beautiful bead work and hope you have been able to continue to be creative. A couple of years after I retired, having put on too much weight, I fell in a car wash straight on to my face and it was the the wake up call for me to lose the extra pounds and get back to being agile. I do hope it works for you...we are here to support you!

Now Barb, since I joined MFP I've met a few Barbs but am not sure if we have. I seem to remember dancing Barb has poodles.

Patsy, tolerate and endurance are certainly not words I would use for my attachment to all that you are! More like affection, amusement and a fascination as you describe your life so many miles away.

Nearly 6pm on this side of the pond so I must plan my evening meal... perhaps salad with a jacket potato and smoked mackerel because although I've not dared to get on my scales in the past month I can tell from my lack of waistline, I've gained more than a few pounds!! :o:o

Jackie

• linder4866
    Options
    Barbie is the line dancing lady with two dogs, currently Sasha and Bessie I believe. Sasha is a poodle as I remember but the other dog they have now is not. But I could be wrong. Her DH is Jake but we haven’t heard from either of them for quite a while.

Jackie, oh darn, we do get sold a bill of goods often don’t we? Darn taxes. I am still looking over the information I assembled for my accountant. I need to send it to her for my phone appointment later this month but found out yesterday I had omitted one item. Now my confidence is a bit shaken and I want to go over everything one more time. I had salesmen coming out of the walls trying to sell me a variable annuity when I retired. I saw too many pitfalls in the return projections and the expense ratios so I passed. Who knows if that was the proper thing to do but I sleep at night.

Anne, I haven’t purchased a new laptop for eons so no recommendation to offer. I like my little Apple laptop, my old HP Windows machine is still putting along. Both are okay. I adore iPads and iPhones. Other than the recent issue with the lightning port pins, the only problem I ever had with my two former iPads was space, never buy enough memory. Maybe others will have suggestions.

Back to paperwork review (and reading one of my books).

Later.

Lin
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Gawanne35,
    Anne, just a quick post to explain, I am not dancing Barb. That's Barbiecat, whom I also know through MFP. She is active on a different thread, but not here.

I live about 160 miles south of where Barbiecat lives. We actually met once. I had dinner with her and Jim, her hubby. My login has always been weaklink109.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Wow! Good to see "old" friends returning! So sorry about LAURA's fall and illness. 81 is young to me, as I am 10 years older. Lately my balance has deteriorated, but I am fortunate to have moved to a Lifetime Care Community with my dear late husband, Mike, 6 years ago. We were, and I still am, in Independent Living, but there is so much loving help and care here, I have no fear of moving to the Assisted Living building or nursing care, where Mike spent his last 5 months, surrounded by our "Edgewater Pointe" family! In fact, our rehab group has scheduled sessions for me to work on my balance and hip pain. We were fortunate that we searched many places before we needed them and picked the one we we most impressed with and moved in while still in good health and mind! Waiting until one needs nursing care can end up in unpleasant care! And we do indeed seem to be living much longer now! We have several beautifully functioning residents over 105, still enjoying playing bridge, mah jongh or canasta, attending lectures, movies and live entertainment and dining with lively friends every night! Social interaction is so important as we age, and I feel SO very lucky to have my Golden Sneaker "family" of many years, whom I love as though we we lived on the same block!
    BARB, indeed I do remember you, and it's great to see you back! Certainly hope you stay so we can get re-acquainted! When you were here, I made the 3rd Barbara, I recall. Hope you'll bring us up-to-date.
    JACKIE, I'm so glad the ibuprofen is helping that miserable pain. I do think you have made a remarkable recovery, as we all knew you would, with your determination! I wondered if I missed a post regarding who is taking care of your checks and eggs? And is your beautiful new Garden Room completed yet? Wasn't the timing on that perfect for recovery period?
    LIN, you are as capable as can be in just about every area, so I doubt your accounts get neglected! Your competence and concern is always amazing to me! In answer, I think I have 2 or 3 more dental sessions before the permanent bridge is placed. The swelling is gone today.
    ANNE, you've done a great job raising your sons, and now they certainly there for you! Are doggy shoes still available, although Jilly's feet are probably too tiny to fit!
    Aloha, dear SANDY, so how's life in Paradise? I know the mind slows to a crawl there, but tell us what you're doing in your dream vacation!
    I forgot to post this last night , can you believe it? I thought I said something to PATSY regarding our methods of cleaning and my kitchen eating counter looking as if my cleaning helper never had touched it within 3 hours! Newspapers!!! How do I gather so many ? Any way, it's now the next day and I'm getting ready to go to dinner!
    <3 Buzz
    ..............................Always Believe Something WOnderful is About to Happen........................
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Thank you Barb for the explanation! The old grey cells were slowly figuring things out and you've fully solved the mystery. I know Barbiecat lives in the same area as yourself which had me all mixed up. Now, who's the gorgeous doggie on your avatar? You will probably have gathered by now that we love our dogs, cats, bees and chickens very much. In fact I'd go as far as saying MFP is as much a pet lovers group as a fitness lovers group!

Other news....not much. It's still FREEZING here. I poked my nose out to put the garbage out and my nose just about dropped off. Still lots of ice on the drive but I have high hopes for Sunday when we reach above freezing temperatures. I don't think I can find boots that will fit Jilly Beans spindly legs and paws BUZZ. When her feet get too cold she asks to be picked up and popped inside ones parka.

Anne.
  • lesutherl
    lesutherl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my computer is a HP had it for 5+ yrs and no problems. I got the most memory I could afford and am happy with it.
    Jackie Yes I am still beading My grand nieces & nephews are getting the benefit. Barb I'm happy to say the Oakland
    Ca. Kaiser is excellent also. Lin right now I'm on a walker but hope to find an exercise plan soon.
    Laura
  • delraybuzz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    All screwed up today and learned my HMO does not want my P.T. to be with the terrific gals upstairs here..."Out of network" is their reasoning!
    I must leave for now as the shot from that new shingles couple is somewhat bothersome and I'm so sleepy from last night's screw-up! I must reiterate JACKIE's statement re:PATSY ! Sweetheart, we do NOT tolerate you! We treasure you! And learn from you , as I think we do from each one of us. And I love you all! Sorry MARIE is not able to post often with us, but we do hear from her once in awhile . After midnight so sleep well, dear friends...
    <3 Buzz
    ...................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen.......................
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. Woke up with a stiff neck and actually did not sleep well as there were no comfortable positions. Odd.

Anyway going to leave early due to road conditions and try to get to Tai Chi. After class, I plan to stop to visit with my housebound friend still trying to recover from the ankle fusion surgery. If she’s not up to it, I will just zip home again. She has CRPS and had an appointment with a neurologist yesterday. Heartbreaking.

Happy International Women’s Day. We are an amazing group of women! Thanks for being here and sharing so much of your lives, wisdom, knowledge and caring. Much appreciated.

Hugs.

Lin