Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    >:):)

I saw the link to this group on someone’s post the other day and I’m glad I checked it out :)
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @wannabeskinnycat - Welcome!
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

I'm 50 years old and 5'3". I'm back on MFP again after a couple year hiatus in which I gained back all the weight I lost + 30 lbs. The app did work though, so I know I can lose all this weight again. I have discovered I have Adjustment Disorder (just learned about this, I always thought of it more like situational depression). Basically, I have a really hard time adjusting to stressful events - the more stressful, the worse it is. I have dealt with such stresses with food. The last event was my mom having to go through open heart surgery, then 6 weeks in ICU as I saw her mind suddenly go to a vegetable state, then having to make the decision to pull the plug. Needless to say, I allowed that stress to sabotage all the healthy things I'd done. When my mom went into the hospital in December 2016, I was 152 lbs. When I started back here on August 17th this year, I weighed 264.3 lbs.

The reason I'm back is that I got the news from my doctor that I'm prediabetic. To add to that, I have had arthritis in my spine for 20 years and it's getting a lot worse due to my poor health. Everything hurts, all the time, and just putting on my shoes now requires a near heroic effort. I don't want this to be my life. I want to feel good again. I want to go for hikes with my husband and our little Yorkie baby. I'm 100% committed to reversing this diabetes thing. I found this group from a link in someone's post. I think I will "fit in here" perfectly.

Start weight on Aug 17, 2019: 264.3 lbs
    Weight on Sep 15, 2019: 252.8 lbs

I'm only using an "official" Sunday morning weigh in to track progress in MFP, but I use Happy Scale too. I'm working on walking for exercise for now, with the plan to slowly add in strength training starting in October.

I'm an accountant, been married to my current husband for about 7.5 years, have two grown up kids (28 and 25) and I love Yorkies, philosophy, heavy metal, and video games (The Division/The Division 2, The Sims 4, Guild Wars 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey). I like podcasts like Making Sense with Sam Harris, Criminal, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, The Guilty Feminist, Star Talk, and The Rewatchables.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    denjan333 wrote: »
    Hi :smile:

I'm 50 years old and 5'3". I'm back on MFP again after a couple year hiatus in which I gained back all the weight I lost + 30 lbs. The app did work though, so I know I can lose all this weight again. I have discovered I have Adjustment Disorder (just learned about this, I always thought of it more like situational depression). Basically, I have a really hard time adjusting to stressful events - the more stressful, the worse it is. I have dealt with such stresses with food. The last event was my mom having to go through open heart surgery, then 6 weeks in ICU as I saw her mind suddenly go to a vegetable state, then having to make the decision to pull the plug. Needless to say, I allowed that stress to sabotage all the healthy things I'd done. When my mom went into the hospital in December 2016, I was 152 lbs. When I started back here on August 17th this year, I weighed 264.3 lbs.

The reason I'm back is that I got the news from my doctor that I'm prediabetic. To add to that, I have had arthritis in my spine for 20 years and it's getting a lot worse due to my poor health. Everything hurts, all the time, and just putting on my shoes now requires a near heroic effort. I don't want this to be my life. I want to feel good again. I want to go for hikes with my husband and our little Yorkie baby. I'm 100% committed to reversing this diabetes thing. I found this group from a link in someone's post. I think I will "fit in here" perfectly.

Start weight on Aug 17, 2019: 264.3 lbs
    Weight on Sep 15, 2019: 252.8 lbs

I'm only using an "official" Sunday morning weigh in to track progress in MFP, but I use Happy Scale too. I'm working on walking for exercise for now, with the plan to slowly add in strength training starting in October.

I'm an accountant, been married to my current husband for about 7.5 years, have two grown up kids (28 and 25) and I love Yorkies, philosophy, heavy metal, and video games (The Division/The Division 2, The Sims 4, Guild Wars 2, Assassins Creed Odyssey). I like podcasts like Making Sense with Sam Harris, Criminal, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, The Guilty Feminist, Star Talk, and The Rewatchables.

Hi @denjan333,

Welcome to LL.

I am glad you found your way here. Just jump in anywhere. We are here to help and be helped.
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 46 and have been struggling with my weight my whole adult life. I am a cancer survivor and really want to stop being tired all the time. I was doing pretty well earlier this year but fell off the wagon and need to get back in control.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    clord2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am 46 and have been struggling with my weight my whole adult life. I am a cancer survivor and really want to stop being tired all the time. I was doing pretty well earlier this year but fell off the wagon and need to get back in control.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hi @clord2,

Welcome to LL. We are still sort of new here but I think if you look around there is plenty to see already. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

You have a great weekend too!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    Welcome!
  • FaleeshaB86
    FaleeshaB86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am a 32 year old stay at home mom. My days are filled with busyness and I struggle making myself make time to work out. My fiance and I have 5 kids between us ranging from 3-12, and I babysit two other kids that are 1 and 3.
    A few years back, before meeting my fiance, I began a weightloss journey. When I started I weighed 270lbs. I felt disgusting and hated myself. I lost 70lbs during that time. I worked my butt off and was so proud of myself and becoming more content with my body. Somewhere I lost that motivation and I managed to gain back 50lbs of it. I'm currently weighing in at 253 and have become so disgusted with myself. My fiance is supportive of me, he thinks I'm beautiful, etc. But, I do not. I hate looking in the mirror, I hate getting naked. I hate the way I have let my body get.
    3 days ago, an old friend stopped by. During the course of us catching up, she decided to tell me it looked like I had gained back everything I had worked so hard to lose. It broke me. So here I am. Starting this journey again. Digging deep for the motivation to get up in the morning before everyone else and work out. To say no to the snacks and stuff that I don't need and make a healthier food choice. I need a support system to do so. My fiance tries, but he hates telling me no. He won't push me to turn down that cheeseburger and fries for a salad. So here I am... I need help.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @FaleeshaB86 you GOT this! Be kind to yourself. We’re here to support you.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hey all! I am a 32 year old stay at home mom. My days are filled with busyness and I struggle making myself make time to work out. My fiance and I have 5 kids between us ranging from 3-12, and I babysit two other kids that are 1 and 3.
    A few years back, before meeting my fiance, I began a weightloss journey. When I started I weighed 270lbs. I felt disgusting and hated myself. I lost 70lbs during that time. I worked my butt off and was so proud of myself and becoming more content with my body. Somewhere I lost that motivation and I managed to gain back 50lbs of it. I'm currently weighing in at 253 and have become so disgusted with myself. My fiance is supportive of me, he thinks I'm beautiful, etc. But, I do not. I hate looking in the mirror, I hate getting naked. I hate the way I have let my body get.
    3 days ago, an old friend stopped by. During the course of us catching up, she decided to tell me it looked like I had gained back everything I had worked so hard to lose. It broke me. So here I am. Starting this journey again. Digging deep for the motivation to get up in the morning before everyone else and work out. To say no to the snacks and stuff that I don't need and make a healthier food choice. I need a support system to do so. My fiance tries, but he hates telling me no. He won't push me to turn down that cheeseburger and fries for a salad. So here I am... I need help.

Hi @FaleeshaB86,

Welcome to LL.

Things like motivation and willpower come in limited quantity, imo. I think the real secret is to use them to fill the cracks not be the entire dam. For the last 3 months I have been in a less sustainable chapter of my weight loss and I have relied heavily on discipline to keep me moving forward. I feel drained mentally and physically down to what feels like a cellular level. Luckily this is nearly over and I can resume a course that is more kind to myself soon.

You ran out of steam last time. I did that more times than I am willing to count. That means this time you need to make some changes so that you don't need as much steam or not as much the whole time.

I would like you to read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753326/success-forward-thinking

and this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753829/dont-jump-to-the-end

I am not saying that all these concepts are correct for you. Everything has to be tailored to how you need it for you but hopefully you will get some ideas how to find your easiest path forward.

• She_Loses
    She_Loses Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, hello 👋🏻
    My name is Christina, I’m 29 and a mom of 2. I have 125lb to lose to my goal. I have struggled with my weight since high school and now that I’m done having kids it’s my turn to focus on my health and my own goals. I struggle with food addiction and binge eating but I’m doing my best to focus on healthy habits and moderation.
  • joannacrane95
    joannacrane95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I’m 45 years old and just over a year ago, perimenopause threw a huge curve ball at me. I was severely anemic, prediabetic, and heading toward high blood pressure. It took a LONG time to get my anemia under control and was harder than you imagine finding a good doctor.

My highest weight was 264.5 pounds. I’m currently at 256.1. And my head space is ready to start making changes for a more healthy me.

I’ve been sporadically walking and I’ve gone from 20 steps in June 2018 (at my worst) to about 1.5 miles at a go.

I’m really looking forward to building a tribe to reach some goals and live my best life. I’m also new to MFP, so I’ll apologize in advance for being completely lost with how things work here 🤪
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @She_Loses Welcome, Christina!

How old are your children? I've got a six year old daughter, and she was a big part of my motivation to get healthier. Best of luck with making the changes you need -- feel free to jump in on any conversations going on in the group or to create your own thread(s).
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @joannacrane95 :)

Glad to see that you're ready for change -- it can be really difficult to get to that point. Increasing your activity is a good starting point. Are you logging your meals as well?
  • joannacrane95
    joannacrane95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @merph518 just started! Thanks for the welcome! @Satisfiedwithbetter
  • She_Loses
    She_Loses Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @merph518 thanks for the welcome! I have a 3 year old son and a 6 month old daughter. They are definitely big motivators for me in this journey. ☺️
  • NovusDies
    Options
    She_Loses wrote: »
    Hi, hello 👋🏻
    My name is Christina, I’m 29 and a mom of 2. I have 125lb to lose to my goal. I have struggled with my weight since high school and now that I’m done having kids it’s my turn to focus on my health and my own goals. I struggle with food addiction and binge eating but I’m doing my best to focus on healthy habits and moderation.

Hi @She_Loses Christina,

Welcome

We will help you in any way we can. I don't personally know too much about binge eating but hopefully you can come up with a plan that avoids the things that trigger it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi All! I’m 45 years old and just over a year ago, perimenopause threw a huge curve ball at me. I was severely anemic, prediabetic, and heading toward high blood pressure. It took a LONG time to get my anemia under control and was harder than you imagine finding a good doctor.

My highest weight was 264.5 pounds. I’m currently at 256.1. And my head space is ready to start making changes for a more healthy me.

I’ve been sporadically walking and I’ve gone from 20 steps in June 2018 (at my worst) to about 1.5 miles at a go.

I’m really looking forward to building a tribe to reach some goals and live my best life. I’m also new to MFP, so I’ll apologize in advance for being completely lost with how things work here 🤪

Hi @joannacrane95,

You have had a tough go of it lately. I am glad your anemia is under control.

No need to apologize about being new. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I think your goal of living your best life is what we are all here for so welcome to the tribe!

If you have not already seen it there is a thread here to help people get started:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756250/advice-guidance
  • dcheek04
    dcheek04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am 33 and a mom of 2 well technically 3! I have had custody of my niece since she was little, my kids are 17, 12, & 3, we have a non stop life of activities, school and just normal daily life things! I have always struggled with my weight, never once have have I been happy! My youngest started preschool so I am finally able to get back into to the gym to try again.. I have a goal to loose 100lbs by next summer! I have been going to the gym 4 days a week for 3 weeks now and I average and hour to hour and half of cardio, and on and off on the light weights! I have a big issue with foods, I tend to lean to a lot of carb foods and I don’t eat enough thru out the day! At the age of 21 I was diagnosed with Crohn’s.. then at 24 I had to have surgery to remove half my large and small intestines. Now I struggle with eating a lot of healthy foods and tend to stick to comfort foods that I know don’t bother my stomach.. I am so lost with what to do.. I would love to eat a salad, nuts fresh fruit and veggies a day but it is very hard on my stomach.. I have a hard time eating three meals a day, I have nights that I realize I haven’t ate all day! People tell me I should eat 6 small meals a day, but if I can’t do three how do I do six, I am so loss.. sorry if this was a lot I am hoping this page can give me some insight! 😀