SHRINKING ASSETS - NOVEMBER CHAT

Options

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @kmargut DANG GIRL -- you are down 8.4 in 2 weeks!!! WOO HOO! Look at you go!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    This came to the WaistAways team thread this morning - you guys are KILLING IT this week!
    CharlesScott78
    Thursday
    SW: 399.2
    PW: 402.6
    CW: 386.4

I was retaining a lot of water weight. Glad that cleared up. The steroid shot in my knee has really helped. I can actually get around.
  • Beka3695
    Options
    WOW - @charlesscott78! That is amazing
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    LovebyDraug
    Starting on 5/16: 254.2
    PW: 216.0
    11/14/2019 CW: 214.2

Mini win for me. Six months and I am down exactly 40

Congratulations! It's huge loss!!👏👏
  • mustb60
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    FUNNY STORY

Yesterday, I was chatting with a friend about running... The friend is a runner and is preparing for their first marathon. I told them how much I missed running and keep hoping that my nerve damage will miraculously go away so that one day I can run again.

Last night I ran in my sleep. I woke up and told my husband that I ran the Peachtree in my sleep and when the alarm went off I had one mile left - so needed the snooze to finish. He informed me that it was not the Peachtree because I kept saying 29.3 miles in my sleep. :D:D Not exactly sure what 29.3 means... Marathon +5k????

I am completely exhausted today, but enjoying the irony of the running dream.

Your nostalgia can be felt through this dream. I see such dreams for swimming.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    boehle wrote: »
    For those that don't see it... We are getting snow tonight.
    fiyizupci85o.jpg

I can't take a photo of it, but today it was 38 degrees centigrade (100 fahrenheit) where I live in Australia, this is spring, and the seedlings I planted out a week ago are all wilting from the heat stress :(

Things are worse for those living near bushfires - 500 schools across the country are closed today due to fire risk, state and national parks have closed to the public for safety, and we have a state-wide fire ban in NSW (probably in other states too). Doesn't help that our Prime Minister refuses to acknowledge that climate change, land clearing, and mismanagement of our water have created the worst possible conditions for fire (& it's very hard for our firefighters to put fires out when some of these towns have run out of water) - and he's more interested in trying to stop citizens (whistleblowers, journalists, scientists, activists, and any concerned person) from speaking up about these issues than in actually addressing the real problems. Sigh.

Luckily it is not this hot every day!

Politicians trying hard to deny it but climate change is a reality. We need to first understand how to progress without hurting the environment.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Good morning guys!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! It was 17F when I left home this morning...no snow :(
    Mother nature is playing a mean trick on the deep south today!

Today, I brought my crock pot to the office and I have chicken chili started for dinner tonight. I like to do this because I can give it an occasional stir and also like to torture my co-workers just a bit. >:)>:)>:)
    The office already smells delicious!

Anyone have something wonderful to share with the group? A struggle you would like to discuss? NSV you would like to share?

TBH I am struggling and feeling conflicted between weight loss and muscle retention/building. I love lifting as it make me feel strong and invincible but it always stalls the scale in my case. I bought a smart scale (for comparative study as I know it's not accurate method for fat measurement) and according to it my fat percentage is almost same in this month so far but muscle mass has gone up 2 lbs.

However I am feeling frustrated as I can't see any specific changes in my body shape. I lost half inches in all stomach, waist and derriere in last 15 days and my friend told me she lost 5 lbs in the same period. So I am tempted to dash to cardio and low calories diet but lifting can't allow that low calories. I am trying to incorporate running slowly as I don't want to hurt myself. Sorry for the rant.
  • ngk2000
    ngk2000 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Weigh Day Thursday
    PW: 254.4
    CW: 254.2

Steps 11/13 21,175
  • Beka3695
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Good morning guys!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! It was 17F when I left home this morning...no snow :(

Today, I brought my crock pot to the office and I have chicken chili started for dinner tonight. I like to do this because I can give it an occasional stir and also like to torture my co-workers just a bit. >:)>:)>:)

Anyone have something wonderful to share with the group? A struggle you would like to discuss? NSV you would like to share?

TBH I am struggling and feeling conflicted between weight loss and muscle retention/building. I love lifting as it make me feel strong and invincible but it always stalls the scale in my case. I bought a smart scale (for comparative study as I know it's not accurate method for fat measurement) and according to it my fat percentage is almost same in this month so far but muscle mass has gone up 2 lbs.

However I am feeling frustrated as I can't see any specific changes in my body shape. I lost half inches in all stomach, waist and derriere in last 15 days and my friend told me she lost 5 lbs in the same period. So I am tempted to dash to cardio and low calories diet but lifting can't allow that low calories. I am trying to incorporate running slowly as I don't want to hurt myself. Sorry for the rant.

This is not a rant -- you are expressing things that I guarantee you others are thinking as well!

Thank you for sharing
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen my focus?!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Good morning guys!!!

I totally understand the conflict. Over the many ups and downs of weight loss and regain over the past decades, I definitely saw that if my goal is weightloss, to focus on diet, and that exercise (while healthy and good for us) can sometimes make it harder to lose the weight. And even when you know that “weight” isn’t everything (and that is amazing you’ve gained 2lb muscle!) it doesn’t mean you feel it.

Only you can work out what is right for you. If you enjoy the weightlifting and it makes you feel good, that sounds like it is a good fit for you to do sustainably even if it will take longer to “lose weight”. Because we need not only to lose weight but to also be able to keep it off for the rest of our lives, so if you have found something you enjoy you will find it easier to stick with.

FYI I have a body composition scale and last time I lost a bunch of weight and got super fit and strong it was telling me I had something like 21% fat but when I got a dexa scan (most accurate) I only had 18% fat. If I’d lost anymore weight or fat it would have been unhealthy. The home scales can misread some of your muscle as fat. So while it’s fine to use as a rough guideline, know that it is not necessarily going to show your real fat loss.

While it is not great to compare yourself to others (as we have different variables), if you are going to compare at least make it apples for apples. Ask your friend how many inches she lost (what does 5lb translate to in inches?) and there’s a good chance you lost as many or more inches than she did even if she lost “weight”. Half an inch in two weeks sounds awesome to me!

For me, this time round I spent the majority of my energy getting my eating habits as close to perfect as I could without worrying so much about exercise. This helped me lose weight fast. Then I started setting exercise goals, starting with walking, adding in jogging and yoga. I did try some weights but to be honest I don’t enjoy them and found it hard to stick with. In particular, I was trying to find things I could create as a regular “habit” so it would stick long term, not just while trying to lose weight. Yoga uses body weight, so I am still getting some strength training in my week, it’s just not as intense as dedicated weightlifting. This approach seems to be working for me.

At the end of the day, what will work best is what you can stick with. Your friend has an approach that is working for her, and to be honest your approach sounds like it is working pretty well for you (half inch loss in 2 weeks!), so perhaps keep doing what you’re doing but consider how you can improve on it a little?

I’d recommend taking a look at intermittent fasting. It’s not for everyone, but I’m a convert. An extra benefit is that it increases human growth hormone, which helps you build muscles, which sounds like it would fit with your strength training approach.

I’m also for low-carb wholefoods. I don’t believe all calories are created equal, so perhaps moving away from processed foods to wholefoods or away from starchy carbs and sugars to lower carb options might result in improvements without you having to cut calories.

Or some other tweak that fits with your lifestyle and health beliefs!

Good luck 😀
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Good morning guys!!!

Not a struggle or a NSV, just a share...

A number of us beginner joggers have commented before about how slow we are at running... I’ve mentioned being over taken by a fit little old granny...

On my last “run” (I really do have to put that in inverted commas because I am so slow I’m not sure it counts as a run so much as a jog or shuffle)...

...I was over taken by a walker!

So funny, thought I’d share, and hopefully other slow “runners” don’t feel so bad about their own efforts. Life is not a race, and at least we’re out there doing it.

Long live tortoises!
  • Beka3695
    Options
    e4tmq62yhqwq.jpeg
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,503 Member
    Options
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    Has anyone seen my focus?!

It is probably hiding with mine. So once again I self sabotage on the night before weigh in. I got into some pepperoni sticks that fit within my calories but are loaded with sodium. I am drinking tons of water but I am nervous about tomorrow morning.
This discussion has been closed.