MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLE January 2020 Chat

Options

Replies

• Jactop
    Jactop Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Yesterday was good. A little weight lifting and then a balance class. Got all my steps in, although I did have to march in place while I was brushing my teeth for those last few steps! Still didn't get enough water in. Have a great Wednesday, all!

@rachelleahsmom I totally have been there - and will shamelessly do it again, I'm sure! => As silly as it seems, I'm always proud of myself for the last few marches in place or two laps in front of my house to make the goal! I get a lot of encouragement from that rolling over of the numbahs!!!

See, this is why I'm concerned about getting a Fitbit, I could definitely picture myself marching around the house for an hour to hit 10,000! I'm awful about wanting to beat times and weight when working out, a Fitbit might create a monster out of me!

Haha. As @sunshineplace pointed out, I'm that monster. I don't march in place but I do a lot of pacing during tasks that require me to stand. I mostly move because I have arthritis in my back and growths on my Achilles tendons so standing still gets painful but there's nothing like a good step challenge to keep me moving. Constant focus on my steps has the added bonus of keeping my mind on other healthy habits too.
  • MaegyS
    MaegyS Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Username: MaegyS
    Weigh-in week: Week 1
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    Previous Weight: 231
    Todays Weight: 218.1

Calories: Under goal for the week
    Water: Could drink some more,
    Exercise: 3 days (sand volleyball, lifting, gym)
    Goals or Improvements for this week: More water! And setting a schedule for workouts, increasing NEAT (increasing steps, pacing around...)

So the loss was huge and I'm racking my brain as to how it happened. Since Thanksgiving I have been eating everything in sight and I also had a drink with meals and several on weekends more often than not. There were so many holiday related things and I really let myself go. In addition to that, the month of December I was doing heavy lifting classes about twice a week. On weigh in day I was incredibly bloated and just came off a New Year Party and was at my highest weight in years.

This past week I have netted 1300-1400 calories every day, workouts were a bit more cardio based, and I have not had any alcohol. My food has overall been healthier options and I am already feeling better. Seltzer water is a savior as it keeps me full for a while. I'm thinking my weight loss reflected the drastic change I made from non-stop eating (I never went hungry) and drinking to really focusing on my health.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,097 Member
    Options
    mrmcgrath wrote: »
    I am really missing my workouts so today, even though my workload hasn’t decreased, I will get to the gym! Sorry I haven’t really responded to any of your wonderful post. I have read them.

01/08
    Check In
    Username: mrmcgrath
    Weigh in week: Week 1
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Weight: 198.2
    Todays Weight 196.4💥

Yesterday
    Calories: over
    Water: over/under? Over
    Macros: changed from % to grams. 2 out of 3
    Exercise: ??? Laundry. Lol

Yesterday’s Fitbit/mfp stats:
    4973 steps. 5500 goal steps
    2.17 miles
    2400 burned calories
    12 active
    81 sleep score
    64 resting sleep
    2039 calories consumed

Macros by grams. carb 198g, goal >150g, fat 94g, goal 44-77g, protein 101g, goal 70g

Basic Goals
    30 active (heart rate driven) minutes: 12👎
    Complete food diary: 🎉
    Stay hydrated(more than 64 oz): 💦
    Stay below sugar goal: 👎
    Meet fiber in range: lettuce 👎
    Daily self care: meditating, crafting, reading, etc.🧘‍♀️
    Sleep: minimum 7 hours 💤

My vision for 2020:
    To find out who I am outside of “mom” since I will be an empty nester in the 5 months.
    To love me no matter where I am at in my journey.
    To pursue habits and hobbies that I will enjoy and that will enrich my soul.
    To focus on total health (mind, body, and soul)

Don’t let any one weigh-in dictate what I do.
    Choose to do the work.
    Choose to show up & do the actions.
    Don’t give up when you get your first bit of resistance.
    Stick to your habits no matter what. Ignore your ego and avoid complacency.
    Keep a connection with others who understand what this journey. Isolation is not helpful
    Don’t hide when weight gain happens. Assume it will. Share your truth, and don’t let your mind tell you no one will understand.
    Make up your mind that you are and will be successful.
    Accept that this is your struggle, and you will not be fixed. I will need to continuously manage my condition.

WOW! This check-in is the first thing I am reading today, and @mrmcgrath has so much to say that is just SO inspiring.
    Key points, for me:
    • Choose to do the work... YES! There are no shortcuts.
    • Don’t give up. YES! Sometimes the work is figuring out which actions even work for us, for our body and environment and personality. Do the actions. Watch the results. Adjust as needed. But never give up!
    • Keep a connection with others who understand what this journey. Isolation is not helpful. SO MUCH YES! And Slimpossibles is such a great space for sharing the journey! :smile:
    • Accept that this is your struggle, and you will not be fixed. YES! And I think this may be the secret to maintenance. The future I at one thought I would find was one in which I lost all the weight and then got to eat what everyone else eats (more accurately, what I think they eat), as much as I want, and exercise as littler as I want (again, my *idea* of that, not anything reality-based. But of course I never get to be anybody else. All I can do is make my own choices about managing my own body and life.

And I second that WOW! I am going to share this on other team threads, it is so important. Thanks for putting it so clearly and succinctly!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    gwamajtw91 wrote: »
    gwamajtw91
    Thursday weigh in week 1
    PW 174.2
    CW 173.5
    Was worried a couple of days ago, but ended up in the green!
    Around 4pm (super hungry at work) & night time snacking (hardwired habit) that are the most difficult times of the day..... :p

Hey, @gwamajtw91 -- @raleighgirl09 had some great comments on managing her night-time snacking about a week ago, before we started the new month:
    I - seriously had some good thoughts today surrounding my irritating and irksome night eating. So, years ago, I used to plan a 9ish or so PM snack, usually a slice of no sugar added cake and a decaf coffee. It was so delightful and I looked forward to it and it worked a dream for a very long time. I used to be very flexible with myself and do what worked in the moment and figure out what needed to be re-worked when that quit working. Fast forward many years and lessons later to my issue of off-plan eating at night these days. While walking and listening to my podcast, a tiny wisp of a voice tapped on my mental shoulder and asked....why not plan it and then it won't be off-plan? Huh?? Wha-whuuut??? OMG, historical Maria, you were like some freaking genius (yes, self-congratulatory shout out)! Whywhywhy have I been cramming the square peg into the round hole and complaining like a BOSS about the peg and all its craziness? Good grief, Charlie Brown - seriously. Ok, I planned and prelogged a bowl of bran cereal with almond milk as a snack tonight. Yes - I am older now than the cake and coffee Maria, back in the day!! => I also happen to adore wheat bran cereal.

I thought that her strategies were brilliant, so maybe those will give you some ideas on how to manage this in a way you are happy with?
    Key points, I think, are
    - not fighting the habit, but plan for it, and maybe even pre-log that snack
    - plan for a healthy snack that you will be happy about -- both in terms of health and taste!
  • gwamajtw91
    gwamajtw91 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    gwamajtw91 wrote: »
    gwamajtw91
    Thursday weigh in week 1
    PW 174.2
    CW 173.5
    Was worried a couple of days ago, but ended up in the green!
    Around 4pm (super hungry at work) & night time snacking (hardwired habit) that are the most difficult times of the day..... :p

Hey, @gwamajtw91 -- @raleighgirl09 had some great comments on managing her night-time snacking about a week ago, before we started the new month:
    I - seriously had some good thoughts today surrounding my irritating and irksome night eating. So, years ago, I used to plan a 9ish or so PM snack, usually a slice of no sugar added cake and a decaf coffee. It was so delightful and I looked forward to it and it worked a dream for a very long time. I used to be very flexible with myself and do what worked in the moment and figure out what needed to be re-worked when that quit working. Fast forward many years and lessons later to my issue of off-plan eating at night these days. While walking and listening to my podcast, a tiny wisp of a voice tapped on my mental shoulder and asked....why not plan it and then it won't be off-plan? Huh?? Wha-whuuut??? OMG, historical Maria, you were like some freaking genius (yes, self-congratulatory shout out)! Whywhywhy have I been cramming the square peg into the round hole and complaining like a BOSS about the peg and all its craziness? Good grief, Charlie Brown - seriously. Ok, I planned and prelogged a bowl of bran cereal with almond milk as a snack tonight. Yes - I am older now than the cake and coffee Maria, back in the day!! => I also happen to adore wheat bran cereal.

I thought that her strategies were brilliant, so maybe those will give you some ideas on how to manage this in a way you are happy with?
    Key points, I think, are
    - not fighting the habit, but plan for it, and maybe even pre-log that snack
    - plan for a healthy snack that you will be happy about -- both in terms of health and taste!

That's a great idea. I actually succeeded in NOT eating last night, but as a long term strategy this could be the way to go. There was something I saw yesterday that habits take an average of 66 days to break/develop, so I am up for trying this and see how I go for a couple of months!
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 My snacking problem kicks in after midnight. I'm working on my sleep issues. But most nights I go to bed after 2am and i do get crazy hungry at that time. I typically dont go over my calorie goal with that midnight snack, I eat healthy most of the time, and rarely I'll snack on junk food. But either way, I'm eating after midnight, right before bed. My biggest challenge is going to bed before midnight.

What is your intermittent fasting style? 16:8?

@metubal, heck yeah you take it!! A loss is a loss and we celebrate them all around here! B) Now you said that you have failed your snacking rule every day. Does the rule need to be modified or reinforced? If modified then perhaps you need to accept that you will have a snack and track it so there is no guilt. If you need to reinforce the no snacking then what can you do? I know for me once I with dinner, I turn on my intermittent fasting app and go brush my teeth. It works but it was hard at first!

• mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Finally made it to gym yesterday and had a somewhat decent step count!!!
    01/09
    Check In
    Todays Weight 196💥

Yesterday
    Calories: under
    Water: over/under? Over
    Macros: changed from % to grams. 2 out of 3
    Exercise: stationary Bike

Yesterday’s Fitbit/mfp stats:
    6060steps. 5500 goal steps
    2.64 miles
    2305 burned calories
    22 active
    86 sleep score
    64 resting sleep
    2028 calories consumed

Macros by grams. carb 211g, goal >150g, fat 92g, goal 44-77g, protein 90 g, goal 70g

Basic Goals
    30 active (heart rate driven) minutes: 22👎
    Complete food diary: 🎉
    Stay hydrated(more than 64 oz): 💦
    Stay below sugar goal: 👎
    Meet fiber in range: 👎
    Daily self care: meditating, crafting, reading, etc.🧘‍♀️
    Sleep: minimum 7 hours 💤

My vision for 2020:
    To find out who I am outside of “mom” since I will be an empty nester in the 5 months.
    To love me no matter where I am at in my journey.
    To pursue habits and hobbies that I will enjoy and that will enrich my soul.
    To focus on total health (mind, body, and soul)

Don’t let any one weigh-in dictate what I do.
    Choose to do the work.
    Choose to show up & do the actions.
    Don’t give up when you get your first bit of resistance.
    Stick to your habits no matter what. Ignore your ego and avoid complacency.
    Keep a connection with others who understand what this journey. Isolation is not helpful
    Don’t hide when weight gain happens. Assume it will. Share your truth, and don’t let your mind tell you no one will understand.
    Make up your mind that you are and will be successful.
    Accept that this is your struggle, and you will not be fixed. I will need to continuously manage my condition.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    @Motiv8tedMom Way to go on making good habits! I did two months of no sugar and it's harder than I thought!

@rachelleahsmom Great job getting your exercise in! Glad you're seeing a difference in the scale!

@sunshineplace great loss!

@kayla7303 you got this!

@gwamajtw91 nice loss!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    metubal wrote: »
    @TeresaW1020 My snacking problem kicks in after midnight. I'm working on my sleep issues. But most nights I go to bed after 2am and i do get crazy hungry at that time. I typically dont go over my calorie goal with that midnight snack, I eat healthy most of the time, and rarely I'll snack on junk food. But either way, I'm eating after midnight, right before bed. My biggest challenge is going to bed before midnight.

What is your intermittent fasting style? 16:8?

Yeah, I would say that if you could get your sleep under control that would greatly help you're snacking so late. :D You are eating because your hungry and your body has gotten used to wanting food. Intermittent fasting can help you with that. I fast anywhere from 17 to 19 hours on most days. It was really hard at first but my body got used to it and now I just make sure to drink a lot of water.
  • sunshineplace
    sunshineplace Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thursday check in...
    Calories/WW points good
    Water 96 oz boo yah (I’m fighting that bloat)
    Exercise didn’t happen today since I spent two hours in a salon chair tonight. (Worth it. 😁)
    Weekend coming which is where I tend to go overboard. We’ll see how I make out this weekend. Going to get a workout in this weekend to make up for today.

My 5 habits
    1. Tracking ✅
    2. No artificial sweeteners ✅
    3. Exercise 4 times a week
    4. Minimum 80 oz water per day ✅
    5. Make time to check in MFP daily ✅

@AustinRuadhain I love the one day at a time pic. Hearing you were weeding in your garden has me super jelly...minus 14 here with the wind chill this morning. 🥶

@gwamajtw91 I too struggle with snacking at night and I have a ferocious hunger between breakfast and lunch. Now I prepare a snack at the same time as I make my breakfast that I can eat when the hunger hits and I drink a bunch of water. (Water helps so much.) As for the nighttime snacking I also started planning for it instead of trying to fight it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    @MaegyS wow, incredible drop!

@mrmcgrath nice loss!

Thursday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- walking, core/stretching
    Water- over

OK, going from 4 minutes to 60 on the stair treadmill yesterday turned my legs to mush and I was exhausted today! I barely made it through my squats and pelvic tilts my legs and butt is so sore! I did the loop again, yay!

Habits
    1. Gym 3xs a week
    2. Cardio 30 minutes- done
    3. Stretches/core
    4. FitOn 2xs this week- did 1 today
    5. I'm blanking on this one!
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Official weigh In

01/10
    Check In
    Todays Weight 196.3💥
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well, Thursday was a bad day food wise. I did get my exercise and my steps, so there is that. My mother in law sent a box of gourmet chocolates and of course I ate one. Then, I decided as long as I already screwed up, I might as well eat another. And another. And another. I remembered too late that eating crap makes me feel like crap, both physically and emotionally.
  • rachelleahsmom
    Options

"Exercise didn’t happen today since I spent two hours in a salon chair tonight. (Worth it. 😁)"

Absolutely!

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 pushups are really hard. I've been trying to do pushups for 2 yrs and I still can't do one properly.

There are modifications you can do. You can try to do them from the knees, just get a pad or something soft for your knees so you don't hurt them. You can also do them on stairs, and the different angle will affect the difficulty so you can find an angle that is a good challenge but still possible.

Youtube may have other modifications. It's much better to do a modification than try to do one improperly.

If your trainer doesn't suggest these kinds of things I would be concerned.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, I'm here but have had a difficult week emotionally. Nevertheless so far I have mostly been on track with my exercise and calorie goals.

Today and tomorrow will be the challenge bc the work week is over and I really want to hide because I just feel down.

@mrmcgrath I love those desks. I used to have one at my last job.
  • rachelleahsmom
    Options
    its_cleo wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm here but have had a difficult week emotionally. Nevertheless so far I have mostly been on track with my exercise and calorie goals.

Today and tomorrow will be the challenge bc the work week is over and I really want to hide because I just feel down.

I totally get this. I'm sorry you're down! Sending you positive vibes and an electronic hug. Has anyone told you today that you are awesome? Well, you are!
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Thursday Check-in
    Calories: all good, on-plan choices; on target
    Water: slightly over
    Exercise: platform stepping (46 min); outdoor walk (45 min); wee bit of martial arts practice and body weight work at home
    5 Habits: Checks for all of them! ✔️ ( @TeresaW1020 - I love the Habit Tracker so much!)
    2 Minutes to Start: got in a few minutes each of yard work and decluttering my closet -- baby steps!

Goals and Improvements for today
    - Work my 5 Habits
    --- Breathing Exercises (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    --- Meditation (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    --- M.A. Forms Practice (daily 2+ min) ✔️
    --- Exercise (6 x week/45+ min)
    --- Food weighed/measured/on plan (daily)
    - Decluttering - home office (2+ min)
    - Weeding/Yard Cleanup (2+ min)

@rachelleahsmom - I love the electronic hug you sent to @its_cleo !

@its_cleo - I am seconding the electronic hug! And hurray, you, for staying mostly on track in the face of life's challenges.
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Well, Thursday was a bad day food wise. I did get my exercise and my steps, so there is that. My mother in law sent a box of gourmet chocolates and of course I ate one. Then, I decided as long as I already screwed up, I might as well eat another. And another. And another. I remembered too late that eating crap makes me feel like crap, both physically and emotionally.

@rachelleahsmom - So, first off, I am sending YOU an electronic hug!
    I am so familiar in myself with the domino effect, and it sounds like that may be what you are dealing with.
    I have so often thought/done "now I am off my plan so I might was well Eat All The Things."

For what it's worth, this is a human thing and not a you thing. I hear that you stopped, you noticed you had gotten trapped in a behavior chain you don't like, checked in here and let your support team know what's up -- all awesome! And I will bet you are back on track today! So now, you just have a place to keep looking -- that behavior chain, and how you might interrupt it a little earlier the next time.

If you are interested, go check out this article by James Clear on the Domino Effect and How to Create a Chain Reaction of Good Habits.
    Clear cites one of my favorite writers, BJ Fogg. See Fogg's website for some great free stuff. He has a new book, too.

So, team - where have you dealt with this kind of Domino Effect? Has anything worked particularly well for you in terms of interrupting that or being responsible for that in yourself?
    huuevrx4nvhl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.