Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Good afternoon. Online church was good today even when streamed sideways. No really, it was a good message today.

Sandy, I am glad you had a good time last evening. Fun movie. I am sorry your deck work couldn’t be completed. A friend put some boards on his deck and is power washing the rest of the deck. It is looking pretty darn good.

Jackie, your day sounds terrific to me. Enjoy those potatoes this evening. And good for you on getting ready for fall and winter.

Patsy, very reasonable of you to make the switch to eating indoors this evening. We missed the rain showers once again here. I didn’t water this morning as I thought the plants would be fine for a day without a drink as our temperatures are down to the high 70’s. I am sorry that your daughter’s doggies are often in need of medical attention.

Anne, glad the scary sounds are over. What are you watching lately. I watched a couple of episodes of The Yorkshire Vet and I usually enjoy them but last night I got quite nauseated and then couldn’t sleep. Let’s just say a major surgery was involved. Argh. Wish they could sort more of the scenery from the real life procedures. They did show a bit of the Great Yorkshire Show. Wow!

I am working on some cards, reading, walking about gingerly as it appears I twisted my darn ankle again. Remember that bout of tendon issues? Seems to be back. Must soak my feet every evening for a while. I do not plan to try to go back to the reflexologist unless it becomes oh-so-much-pain that I cannot sleep at night. The bruising isn’t too bad this time and hoping it stays that way.

I have a number of photos to share but I realized several of them might trigger someone as one is that cake from the little girl’s birthday party yesterday. It is cute but I don’t want to cause anyone problems. The other is another puzzle I put together which I enjoyed as it is kind of memories from childhood and involves food products, unhealthy ones. That is not exactly the aim of MFP.

So, will post something entirely different.

rbmpgpdlk0v1.jpeg

Be safe and well my friends.

Lin ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️❤️
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi,....typing with one hand since the other is wrapped in ice to reduce swelling. Isaias was a washout, thankfully, but our shutters are still up. Tea set magnificent!
    <3 Buzz
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm scratching. Lull in the rain brought Mark and Mary Jo over. We talked in the garden which meant Harry's mosquitoes zoomed in for din dins.
    Thanks from me also for the book recommendation Diane. Any ideas are most welcome in this time of going it alone.
    Anne.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Lost that one....Just found out you can't go back to the previous page. Live and learn.

Jackie, What are bangers and mash ? I suppose mash potatoes, but bangers ?????

I guess we have a senior dog now. Jacque, our 10 yr old toy poodle, now has heart problems. Between his vet and the cardiologist he is on 5 pills a day. Buying them from the vet can be very costly. Because they are people meds we just found out we can get these at Costco for a lot less money if they are not out of stock. Of course the most expensive one is out of stock; maybe shopping for a better price on this one. Too bad the lab work and xrays aren't available at a better price. He is a much loved part of the family, so we will do what we can. Thankfully he has always been healthy until now.

Well need to figure out what will be for dinner. Enjoy your evening.

Diane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Buzz,[/b I'm glad to be hearing from you regularly and glad that you are safe from the hurricane.

:)Sandy, bird feeders aren't allowed in my neighborhood because the seed draws rats. Hummingbird feeders are OK. I haven't worn my new shirt yet. Jim will get his soon and maybe I can get a photo of the two of us in our library reading shirts.

:) Another simple day here--walked the dogs before breakfast, walked with a friend and the dogs after breakfast, walked with another friend mid morning, rode my exercise bike while watching the Mariners' baseball game with Jake in the afternoon. I did a few minor chores and spent time on the computer with my pals on MFP.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    What are bangers and mash Diane? I'll leave you in suspense and let JACKIE explain, lol.
    Clue. Think things that can sizzle and splash fat when cooking.
    I'm having a day off today with the family.
    But....wanted to wish everyone a happy Canada Civic Holiday if you are in the mood to take the day off and celebrate as well.
    Cheers, Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    jdglx9ju629k.jpeg
    Today’s doggie walk took us across the top of the moors where on a clear day, as Barbra would sing, I can see forever and that includes the south coast in the distance. Before the walk I drove into town to the local Aldi store and found it very quiet... not many people up at that time!! Staff were busy filling shelves but oh-oh, toilet rolls disappearing again so of course it has that knock on effect and I buy a pack even though I won’t need for weeks. I swear this Covid is doing as much damage to our psyche as physically!
    I came home from the walk on the moors to find my order of logs and kindling has been delivered and neatly stacked by the log store so that’s another thing ticked off my list. Summer prices are reduced about 20% so well worth being organised.
    Enjoying coffee before facing housework because although Rich vacuumed and I’ve dusted, there is still a fine layer of dust that must drift in the air before settling. Hmm, I was never one for methodical housework but think that’s the only option.
    Email just arrived from the joinery company. They phoned when just now to say the bank transfer payment I sent wasn’t enough, then went into a complicated explanation of how on one section of 3 instalments they had forgotten to add tax. I didn’t really understand what was being asked so suggested they produce another invoice showing what I’ve paid and what they think is missing . That’s definitely one for later!

Diane, we call sausages “bangers”, not sure why but expect our Anne will have an answer. Bangers and mash was part of our staple diet way back when and these days is more comfort food. I buy locally produced sausages where the pigs are outdoor reared so they have a natural life and we enjoy gorgeous fat free sausages. In England we can buy a prescription from the vet for a small fee then order meds for our pets online at half the price, just have to upload a copy to the supplier. It’s legitimate so no risk of fake drugs being sold. Have you an option like that? My George was recently diagnosed with a heart murmur and I know I’d do my utmost for him whatever the cost so completely understand why your Jacque is so important in your family.

Reading about Barbie’s walking along with Bob’s reminds me I talked to 2 separate friends on the phone this weekend who rarely walk anywhere but complained about aching backs and lack of energy. Gentle persuasion towards stretching a few muscles comes up against the proverbial brick wall so I’m left feeling sad that they could both do more to help themselves.

Anne, I must assume you didn’t find an Avon lady to buy the SAS’s Skin So Soft spray to keep those pesky mosquitoes away? Will you see Mike today on his last day of freedom for a while? Jolly will so miss him and walkers!

Hi Buzz, delighted to see that hurricane didn’t bother Florida and particularly yourself. Perhaps a motorised vehicle would be a start for you to get about more but am guessing no physiotherapist is ever going to recommend it as their mantra will be no pain, no gain! 😑🥴 Whatever you decide, take things a small step at a time please! ❤️

Thanks for not posting naughty food pics Lin. 😄 That walrus is so cute I copied the picture to use as wallpaper on my new phone so thanks!

Oh Sandy, you are on the previous page and I’ve slept since reading your post so will catch up next time although do remember your balcony repair was started then left.., what a pain!

You’re over the other side too Patsy so waving across the pond! 🙋🏻‍♀️

Can’t easily forget Bob’s bowl of salad! Your food always looks so bright and cheerful it literally smiles at me. 😁

My morning has gone so a bowl of cottage cheese and fresh pineapple then blow away that dust!

Stay safe, keep well and keep an eye on the supplies of loo rolls coz here we go again!!
    Jackie 😘

• pinkperil
    Options
    Anne, you’ll notice predictive text has changed Jilly’s name! I usually catch sight and correct it. Doesn’t approve of walkies either... just tried to change to walkers again! I’m shouting at the screen!!
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Good morning, a cool and sunny morning. No rain overnight so I did get out to water all the plant pots. I am picking some cherry tomatoes now. Not many but it makes me smile to find a treasure. I saw a pink tomato on the vines that should produce small to medium sized tomatoes. I grabbed it and oh my, I see why it turned, blossom end rot. From excitement to despair in moments. 😄

Jackie, oh yes, send an invoice rather than droning on and on over the phone. I hope it makes sense. I received a text this morning to log in to one of my accounts. I receive a bit of money each year from my former employer for health insurance premium reimbursement (really NOT much) to compensate for throwing retirees from their medical plan. This is a new company this year so didn’t know what to expect. After receiving my direct banking information, they are instead sending a check BUT only a bit of the reimbursement. And it won’t be sent until mid-month. Okay. Bills and payments, all odd! I hope you get yours straightened out.

Anne, enjoy your day with the family. Interesting holiday. Apparently many businesses are open today?

Barbie, no bird feeders due to rodents! Oh, my. We have such an assortment of critters here, that I doubt there would be anything for them to eat. Probably sensible though.

Diane, I trust you will find less expensive options for your dog’s medications. Have I missed photos of Jacque on Facebook or here? The Southern California fires 🔥 are terrifying. Just something that happens each year. ☹️

Buzz, so glad the storm just moved on by Florida. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sandy, good morning

Patsy, how are you and John and Katie today?

Bob, 🙋🏼‍♀️ Hope all is well.

And for a daily teapot.

“ 1960s Crown Staffordshire 'White Roses' teapot “

zie7cmeod2ew.jpeg

Be well.

Lin
    ❤️❤️

• Gawanne35
    Options
    I'm glad you mentioned the walrus JACKIE. I almost missed him and a bunch of posts this morning!
    No not an Avon lady to be found! They've all disappeared, but the moskies haven't!
    I think, but only think, sausages were named bangers in the Second World War. Made with loads of fillers rather than with much meat they tended to explode and split their skins when hitting hot bacon? fat.
    Yes, we are hanging around waiting for Mike and Ive cleared out my food shelves while waiting. Got rid of a load of out of date stuff, mainly herbs and spices, leaving room for hoarding canned food for the next wave which Mikes friend who works for the surgeon advised me to do.
    Looking unnaturally tidy in the food cupboard right now. Must remember to order toilet rolls on my next list! Plus fresh herbs and spices. I couldn't believe one or two containers expired in 2016! Where did the time go! Also must wash out the cupboards more often! I tell myself the cupboards and the dust will still be around when I'm gone!
    I'm up to date on everyone's posts now! Apologies for not commenting! Must away,
    Anne.
    PS. Just noticed Linda about to pop in. Must see what she has to say because she will be above me!
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hi LIN, waving to you up there!
  • pinkperil
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Bangers for exploding sausages during WWII sounds typical British humour Anne so I'm sure you're right!
    A couple of weeks ago I came upon a low calorie cooking oil spray can behind the usual olive and sunflower oils so went back to using it after a long break. A couple of evenings I had a rather upset stomach but couldn't understand why then for some reason, not particularly that, checked the sell by date on the back to discover it was Feb 2017! Into the bin it went and no upsets since!

A beautiful day and I've managed to put most of the logs into the store and decided the kindling and also 4 packs of compressed wood logs will have to be wheelbarrowed to my garage. The supplier also threw in a couple of packs of twizzlers, used by lighting and placing under the logs.... a bargain delivery!

My nice neighbours are away visiting family so friends of theirs are house sitting which is great for them as they live in the middle of Plymouth city. They've just called through the hedge to tell me one of the hens is dying so we agreed it be left in the corner of their run until morning and if dead I will dispose of it so their 2 childrren don't get upset. Wasn't expecting that one!!

I'm now going to check the invoice from the joinery company while chicken bakes in the oven that I'll have later with a green salad and coleslaw.

Jackie

PS edit... not that chicken!! 🐓🐔
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) I have a headache today and hope it is from my neck which has been bothering me. I spend too much time on the computer and I think my neck is strained. If the headache doesn't go away by tonight I will cancel sitting tomorrow just as a precaution. When the handyman was here Saturday he did not wear a mask even though he was outside but he still walked through my house and later had another guy with him to collect his tools. I am praying he didn't have the virus germs so I am a little paranoid. Our weather is much cooler today and it is a pleasure to have the windows open. My friends almost talked me into going to dinner with them tonight at a restaurant outside but then logic came to me and I don't want to leave my bubble so I declined even before the headache and btw no fever.

Jackie, glad you added the postscript, I was worried about the sick chicken. A baked chicken sounds so good, unfortunately I don't have a chicken to bake. You should be all set for winter which sounds so far away but isn't. Where has summer gone?

Anne, have you checked Amazon for that bug spray? Is your holiday a national holiday? It is amazing to find out how many spices are out of date and even in the refrigerator things like mustard and ketchup. I end up throwing lots of expired items away, living alone does that.

Lin, I hope you got that reimbursement all worked out, nothing is easy.

Barbie, that is why they don't allow bird feeders here as well. But not wanting hummingbird feeders doesn't make sense since there is no seed. One Day at a Time. will wait patiently for the photo.

Diane, sorry about your pup, they can get the same disease as humans and as our family we want what is best for them. Do you by any chance have dog insurance?

Buzz, glad to hear the hurricane fizzled out, we have enough to worry about and want you healthy and safe.

Bob and Patsy, hello.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Gawanne35
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Could it be SANDY that humming bird feeders are not allowed in case they attract wasps to the syrup?
    Not to mention bears - just joking on that one, but I believe Winnie the Pooh was partial to syrupy things like honey?
    We are back to ourselves at the moment. A storm rolling in so Mike drove home partially to miss it and also to miss all the cottagers driving back after the long weekend. It can't have been much fun on Sunday staring at a lake whilst the rain streamed down, but we did need it. I dug up one of my potato plants from the parched ground prior to the storm and got enough wee new potatoes for three meals. Will leave the rest for early September and maybe the second virus wave.

JACKIE mentioned a show series named The Detectorists? Daren't go back to check, but anyway a message came up when I tried to find it "not available in your country". I've been watching The Prisoner based on what happens to spies when they resign. Patrick McGoohans voice sounds like a Dyleck at times from Dr. Who. I wonder? (I am not a number).

Anne and (for Jackie) her jolly little dog, Jilly, lol.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Was great… that whole cable fiasco resolved….the new box improved color, the tech improved internet speed and gave us a MUCH newer remote…never had a cable call go that well…since cable invented…

Today marks 49 years since my mom passed away after a 3 year cancer battle. She died at 57 and I was only 13 when she became ill (but back in those days and at that age you think people just eventually get better). I’d have to say I carried a lot of internal emotional baggage for several years…but in the final analysis, I only remember her HUGE heart for her children and her adoration of my dad. Oh well, circle of life and all that. (pic)

hy7sqds7jkpe.jpg

Lin – Yes, we subscribe to ACORN TV… Couldn’t stand waiting for Doc martin to come onto local TV (and with commercials) a year later than shown across the pond. Cable is changing so fast not sure what we will do down the road. So many streaming options and our phone is bundled etc. So we’ll see.

As for reading, Jean will sometimes get involved with a fiction book…I am addicted to Biographies of all kinds and other non-fiction 90% of the time. Hope your mystery book is coming along well.

Diane – THANK YOU. I still can’t believe the last 1 ½ yrs results. I am significantly lower than anything since high school… weighing in the last 2 weeks between 167-170 and wearing a 34 pants size; as soon as gym re-opens I hope to level off around 175-180. Congrats to your son and his famiy on the new home!

Sandy – I must say, the Columbia jacket was my fav purchase. The Mavericks bus was a blast. We were with the entire band. Our “invitation” came by way of knowing someone that was friends with one band member. Connections are funny… we had some VIP tickets to another bands concert, as Jean is bff’s with a drummers mother – and she used to babysit the drummer! LOL

No secret on age. I may be in my 67th year, but Jean turned 68 last month…so we joke about her robbing the cradle. On the downside…much of my family never reach 72 and Jean has a long line of 90-somethings. I told her to just mourn me six months and then “party-on.” Her response: “I have to wait 6 months?” That’s our kind of humor.
    I don’t concentrate on age. I know too many that are physically alive, but have been the “living-dead” for years…no interests, no plans, no caring for others etc. I was out of the house and earning my own way while still a teenager. Can’t believe some of the “adults”today, still acting like "dependent children” but in their 30’s & 40’s. ps – you are looking great!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday… Bob
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Late night but a busy day. Had to have my foot examined again. So far, so good. In a manner of speaking. It was a hot muggy day. Made everything twice as hard to do. Thank God! I had leftovers to throw on the table. taco bowl salad. Black grapes for dessert.

I made the mistake of reading the news. Ohhh bother! It seems all is lost, they tell us. Well, I for one am not ready to give up. I honestLy believe we will persevere and emerge changed but good. There fore I am buying new fall clothes. Sure sign I believe in the future. Also new underwear..........

Bob: that is such a wonderful photo of you as a teen with your mom. She was an elegant woman, I can see that. Weren’t you just adorable? I love those teenage photos.John and I dated in high school. We went to the prom and danced twice. The rest of the time we giggled and joked with our friends on the sidelines. We had prom photos but they were mainly goofy things with John putting the corsage on top of his head, then my head, then the dogs head. Etc etc etc

Sandy: I dont put up hummingbird feeders because Katie likes to jump up and try to catch them. She knocks the feeder and spills the red juice everywhere. We were the ones who taught her to catch flying things, normally a ball.

Getting really late. Time to brush teeth and head in to find my pillow.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, chilly here today. Am early morning grocery order expected. But what will be delivered? Many things were unavailable to order. Well, that will be my surprise for the day.

Here’s a unique teapot.

“This double-spouted teapot has a partition down the middle of the body, and was designed so you can serve two different kinds of tea at once, keeping your guests happy whatever their preference.

It’s crafted from porcelain, and was made in the 1760s in the Bow Porcelain Factory in London.

🔎 Double teapot made of porcelain decorated with scrolls, a lion and foliage, with a painted scene of birds. Bow Porcelain Factory, London, c. 1760–1765. Read more: http://ow.ly/H5Mg30qIzgK

qtdrz2hh9jz5.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • gemfrire
    gemfrire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good morning dear people! For those who do not know me...I am Marie’s (Caliecat) daughter Alice.
    It has been 7 months since my mom’s passing and I miss her terribly. But she loved this group so very much and I know her online friendship with everyone kept her mind active and her heart full. Thank you for giving her so much joy.
    Update on my dad, Jerry. He is not doing very well after having two strokes since May. His dementia has progressed and he is now on hospice care. Unfortunately due to the virus the memory care facility is on lockdown and we are not allowed to visit.
    This is the last photo of them. Look how happy she is!
    Take care everyone...be safe and remember to smile!

6sfnvfixmkej.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    gemfrire wrote: »
    Good morning dear people! For those who do not know me...I am Marie’s (Caliecat) daughter Alice.
    It has been 7 months since my mom’s passing and I miss her terribly. But she loved this group so very much and I know her online friendship with everyone kept her mind active and her heart full. Thank you for giving her so much joy.
    Update on my dad, Jerry. He is not doing very well after having two strokes since May. His dementia has progressed and he is now on hospice care. Unfortunately due to the virus the memory care facility is on lockdown and we are not allowed to visit.
    This is the last photo of them. Look how happy she is!
    Take care everyone...be safe and remember to smile!

6sfnvfixmkej.jpeg

Oh Alice, this is such a bittersweet post. It is indeed a great picture of Marie and Jerry, something you will treasure forever. I am so sorry about your dad and will keep him on my prayers. Try to hang on to the good times and I am sure in his mind he remembers all the love he has for you and especially Marie. Please keep in touch and God bless you.

Sandy
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful picture of Marie and her Jerry. Thank you so much for sharing it with us Alice. It was nice to see you as well when I blew up the avatar. We all have our own personal memories of a very special lady. Your dad looks such a sweet faced gentleman and I wish him well and hope he gets to see his much loved daughter Alice very soon and indeed the rest of the family.
    Anne.