Downsizers Team Chat - August 2020

Options

Replies

• leeniekat
    leeniekat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Steps for Tuesday, August 4: 8,481
    Made it through the storm with trees down all over the neighborhood but fortunately no major damage to anyone I know. 🙏🏻
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Tazaria87 wrote: »
    Daily post August 3
    Tracked: Yes
    Under Calorie:Yes
    Exercise: Yes
    Steps: 10780
    Water: 128oz

Right before lunch time my son and I went for a 45 minute walk around the neighborhood. Then after the kids went to bed I went out walking by myself to get the rest of my steps in. I ended up walking a little over 30 minutes.

Well done with your set goals yesterday! Nicely done with your walking and even better when the kids join in! I’ve been walking this past week (always with our dog Jaxon) but I love it when someone decides to join me. Goos luck on your goals today 💪🏻

28Haveitall2020
    Sw 242.3lbs
    CW 237.7lbs
    TLD : 7.3lbs

Wow great progress! Please share your secrets!
    Hi Mari Thank you.
    Honestly on that week I stuck to 1400 kals and had carbs only on 2 days. I guess it is the excess water from all the sugary things I had been stuffing my body with.
    And I do home workouts.
    I will say Secret is beginner's luck😅

This was not beginners luck. This was you making the changes needed to succeed. You stuck to your diet plan and decides on lowering your carb intake. This all takes slot of effort to accomplish so YAY YOU!! 😁 well done and keep up your hard work!
    jenmurphy3 wrote: »
    jenmurphy3 wrote: »
    I’m a little lost, where do I go to post my weight for week 1?

Right in here Jen 😀 Here is the format you can use to weigh in.

Username : jenmurphy3
    Weigh In Day : MONDAY
    PW (Previous Weight): 230.0
    CW (Current Weight): 232.4 🥺
    LTD (Loss to Date):

+2.4 pounds 😭
    Why do I love food so much? Okay, okay, I got this, I'll make sure not to go over my calories as best as possible. I'll even be specific, I won't go over my calories four days this week.

You can do this! That is what I call a smart goal.

ismiduvh153z.png

pandygirl1 wrote: »
    Monday 8/3/20
    I don't remember if I posted yesterdays stats, couldn't find it (Track, Calories, and Exercise, and steps) (No) just wasn't feeling up to it.

Tuesday 8/4/20
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes (under)
    Exercise:. Yes
    Steps: 1,000 steps. ( below)
    Water: 67 fl oz

Ordered a tracker watch, that goes on your wrist. (Tracks steps, your pulse rate, and blood pressure). Will be a lot easier to keep track of how far I walked.

Got your steps in. 💪🏻 A tracker is going to make things so much easier for you. Can’t wait til you get it.
    rhaaa wrote: »
    August 4 steps

Gotcha!
    draby2011 wrote: »
    August 3: 8,110 steps :( But I did do a 30 minute exercise class at the gym in addition to my steps. Went back upstairs to finish up but all the cardio machines were taken and my feet were already blistered from my shoes. (They're new) Soooo better luck tomorrow. I also feel like my body is kinda asking for a break, so going to call it a night early and recover!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Got your steps in! 💪🏻 Always listen to your body especially when it comes to needing rest. Take time to recover and soak those feet.
    8/4 Steps 8800

Gotcha!

• mari_moulin
    Options
    missGYST wrote: »
    Steps for Tuesday, August 4: 8,481
    Made it through the storm with trees down all over the neighborhood but fortunately no major damage to anyone I know. 🙏🏻

Got your steps in. Thank goodness you got through the storm with minimal damage. Hope that’s the end of that and you will have calm and beautiful weather moving forward.
  • mari_moulin
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Check-In: Tuesday, August 4

•30 Active Minutes: Yes ✅
    •Gym: 0/4 days ❎
    •Water: 1 L ❎
    •Steps: 16,911 ✅
    •Starch-free dinner: Yes ✅
    •Intermittent Fasting: Yes ✅

Daily update:

Happy hump day team!! 🐪

We are halfway through our first week of August! How are we all feeling so far? Are you keeping up with your goals? What is working for you and what isn’t. Are there any changes that need to be made to make it easier for you? We’ve got this!

Today I am continuing to build up furniture here at home. Mostly my storage stuff and once that stuff is up I can unpack the last of our boxes. Yesterday we started working in my laundry room as the laundry pile was getting it off control. My machines are in and working so spent most of my day washing loss and loads of laundry. Today we finish the storage in there where I can store our sheets towels etc. Fun times 😂

August goals:

•Achieve at least 30 active minutes daily.
    •Make it to the gym at least 4 times a week.
    •Drink at least 2L water daily.
    •Reach at least 10,000 steps daily.
    •No Carbs for dinner.
    •Do IF for at least 6 days a week.
  • mari_moulin
    edited August 2020
    Options
    r858gira4va2.jpeg

JULY WEEK 5 STEP RESULTS
    AS A GROUP WE WALKED 344,750 STEPS
    (previous week was 443,918)

TOP 3 STEPPERS

@mari_moulin - 95,175 steps
    @marigorringo - 90,072 steps
    @19shmoo69 - 74,529 steps

JULY STEP CHALLENGE GRAND FINALE!!!

AS A GROUP WE WALKED 2,887,754 STEPS!! (previous month was 3,250,129)

TOP 3 STEPPERS

@marigorringo - 459,833 steps
    @mari_moulin - 440,571 steps
    @19shmoo69 - 434,501 steps

Well done everyone!! Let’s Keep those steps coming in AUGUST!!
  • mari_moulin
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ratdon3hylbq.jpeg

When you have to go out for a meal, how do you decide on what to order? How do you choose the healthier foods? Do you look up their menu online and plan ahead? Or maybe you give yourself a cheat meal?

(Yes I know that’s a lot of questions but all related lol)

• Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ratdon3hylbq.jpeg

When you have to go out for a meal, how do you decide on what to order? How do you choose the healthier foods? Do you look up their menu online and plan ahead? Or maybe you give yourself a cheat meal?

It depends a lot in how I feel. Usually If I'm trying to lose weight and I go out for a meal, that can mean 2 things: Can be that I'm not in my best day and I say ok, let's not give a shiitake about what I'm going to eat or it is an special date and then I check what is the most healthy option. When is the second one, I look the menu quite good before I order but I don't check it online.
  • Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Steps yesterday 9.684 steps
  • mszoueb
    mszoueb Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    mszoueb wrote: »
    Monday check in

Hi all, just checking in with a weigh in day. Unfortunately this morning on the scale I weighed in at 252.6. The scales initially said 252.8/253 but then changed the batteries as it had been a while since doing so, so goes to show how batteries can effect the calibration. I'm not overly worried about the gain as a few days ago I checked in and was at 251.8 so. I was still active last week with getting a few walks in and a bike ride so that is at least something.

Keep in mind that when you start a new workout regimen and change your eating habits, it takes some time for the body to follow. Don’t worry about a small gain. Just je doing what you know works for you and I’m the weight will take care of itself. I’m sure you will have a nice drop next week. 🤞🏻❤️

Thanks for the motivation. Slow and steady wins the race but doesn't stop the thoughts of wanting to be already at the finish line again. I think I'm doing something right on some level as even though I haven't lost a huge amount since end of March (about 7lbs), the fact it's coming off or fluctuating back and forth in a way that isn't going too far back near my highest weight gives me motivation.

In terms of questions of the week:

Do I prefer working out at home or at the gym? On one hand I prefer working out at home as I can use my stationary bike or close blinds and do homeworkout dvds without people watching. I think when I was going to the gym, I gradually got more used to going in and getting something done as that's what everyone in the gym is there for but still had the anxiety of wanting to be in my own space. The gym has much more wide range of equipment that would be directly relative to strength or cardio vs doing things at home and not overly sure what is being worked out haha. Gyms have reopened here and I am tempted to rejoin but with the virus situation, it just seems too much faff and potential risk so I am sticking to things at home as I am early in my journey so could rejoin at a later date.

It really depends on how I'm feeling, what time in the day it is and what I've already eaten that day. I feel like if I am going out to eat, I generally want to have something that I couldn't necessarily replicate it at home and if that counts as a "cheat" meal then that's fine. Yes I do look at menu's online, total foodie here.

• rhaaa
    rhaaa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I typically try to avoid restaurants that I can’t determine calories of a meal. If menu/calories are listed online I pre log meal before going. If I can’t find calories I will order a salad typically with whatever lowest dressing they have and try to log all of the contents individually as accurate as possible. I really try to avoid the whole cheat meal thing. For me 1 cheat meal turns into 6 months worth of cheat meals. It’s definitely one of the things I am working on.
  • draby2011
    draby2011 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ratdon3hylbq.jpeg

I prefer to plan ahead so that I don't tempt myself with other things that may not be consistent with my goals. If I know it is a special event or the menu is limited, I'll eat what I want, but limit how much I eat. For instance, we went to Chili's last week and they didn't have a lot of options that fit my "lifestyle change" so I ordered a cajun chicken pasta and only ate about a quarter or so of it. I also gave the bread to a friend so it didn't remain on my plate to tempt me. It was a reasonable cheat lol. I also feel that "cheating reasonably" helps me stay on track because deprivation has NEVER worked for me. :)
  • draby2011
    draby2011 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sooooo.... last night my body was so beat and tired that I crashed soon after posting but I just wanted to share. Since I am a healthcare employee, our local gym was running a deal for signing up so I went ahead and did that. I also went to an exercise class by myself (which is a HUGE deal for me since I was majorly out of my comfort zone.) I am planning to do another one tonight!

By the way, any tips for logging those exercise classes?

Fun fact, my 5-year-old is a fitness junkie (I know it sounds funny, but she has grown up watching daddy work out everyday and she loves watching work out videos on youtube.) So she has been challenging us every day to plank challenges. The first time I only did 25 seconds and lost to everyone. Yesterday I did 58 seconds and beat both Ali and Daddy! Making progress and building up my abdominal wall again which is great since my surgery!

Anywho, I was cleared by my cardiologist and my primary care is recommending that I start with phentermine so that may happen for at least 3 months just to give me the kick start that I need. My blood work all came back normal with the exception of my Vitamin D which she gave me a prescription for and I am taking a daily multivitamin now as well.

Hope everyone has a great day today and kicks some butt!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Cesse - age 72 - Check-In

308.6 lbs - starting weight on 3/28
    295.4 lbs - weighin on 04/30 -- (-13.2 Total Loss to date)
    291.2 lbs - weighin on 05/30 -- loss = 4.2 lbs for month of May (17.4 lb Total Loss To Date)
    293.2 lbs - weighin on 06/27 -- gain = 2.0 lbs for month of June (15.4 lb Total Loss To Date)
    289.8 lbs - weighin on 07/25 -- loss = 3.4 lbs for month of July (18.8 lb Total Loss To Date)
    291.2 lbs - weighin on 08/01 -- gain = 1.4 lbs -- (17.4 lb total loss to date)

August Mini Goal -- 285 lbs - (need to lose 6.2 lbs or 1.5/week)
    First Major Goal = Onederland
    Goal Weight = 165 lbs

AUGUST GOALS ---
    (1) Log everything; Drink 10+ water; minimize sodium where possible
    (2) Exercise 30 min minimum (3000 steps) 5 days each week / LOG
    (3) Clean 30 min per day: house or yard or declutter / LOG
    (4) Do stretches and Yoga 5 days each week / LOG
    (5) Stay within MFP daily goal; not exercise adjusted goal / LOG
    (6) Once each week, get out of the house and do something FUN

STEP CHALLENGE ---

08/01 - 3000
    08/02 - 3000
    08/03 - 3000
    08/04 - 3000

TASKS FOR TODAY ---
    Do 20 min stretches and 30 min of walking
    Feed & Water animals -- done
    Water outside plants -- done
    Bedroom -- reorganize, declutter, strip bed & redo -- STILL need to do
    Do Yoga

I just can't seem to get off the ground with reorganizing, cleaning, etc my bedroom. I think it's because I don't like it. Granddaughter set it up a year ago when she moved in using her old bedroom set which is made of dark wood. I do NOT like dark wood. I know that seems like such a small reason ... but it is what it is. Just need to suck it up and get the work done. Before I can think about replacing any of it, I need to remodel the bathroom and get a couple of other home maintenance things done. Soooooooooooooo ... *slapping myself Jethro-style* ... I'm going to do this like my decluttering ... I'll work on it in 15 minute chunks using a kitchen timer. I set the timer for 15 minutes, do as much as I can, and stop when the timer goes off. Then do the same each hour or so. Maybe I can at least get a good start today. I think I'll start at 9am. Fingers Crossed!! 🤞
  • cesse47
    Options
    @mari_moulin I do have the seasoning: Everything but the Bagel. I get it from WalMart with my grocery delivery. It does have sodium in it. By using it, I do reduce salt usage. I've used it on my Fish and on salads and do enjoy it on them. I LOVE salt! In my family, we salted everything. Salt when cooking, salt when eating. I am seriously trying to reduce my usage. Love summer vegetables ... and traditionally would heavily salt before eating. I steam my fresh veggies and do S&P at the table. Now, I'm only using pepper ... or a couple dashes of Everything But the Bagel. So, I think it is helping. Tomatoes and corn on the cob, however, have to have actual salt. I have stopped cooking with salt except for a few items ... so I think that's a win.
  • Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey team! Happy Wednesday hope everyone is doing well! I’m still over my daily calories each day but I’m logging what i eat and definitely eating f less junk food than i used to so I’m hoping for a small loss on Friday 🤞🏻
  • melichalupa
    melichalupa Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ratdon3hylbq.jpeg

I sometimes look up the restaurant menu in advance if I am feeling like maybe I might get stuck, for example a "BBQ beer garden" place needs to be checked in advance because thats a whole lot of temptation happening at once. Most of the time I try to focus on sides, like extra vegetables or sticking to water instead of getting a fancy drink.
  • melichalupa
    melichalupa Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Daily goals: 8/4
    1. under calories? YES
    2. 30 min of exercise? NO
    3. 1 liter of water? NO
    4. 30 min of relaxing time? YES

Well now I know what I need to work on......
  • cesse47
    Options
    My doctor is back from holidays on Thursday so I am hoping she will try another cortisone shot. Keep your fingers crossed that these things help.

..... DONE! ..🤞

My weight is lower than Friday’s weigh in but I am fighting with light night snacking. I am sticking to my plan all day but come 10pm I am in the kitchen looking for food. I am not that hungry so I got to break this bad habit. I am going to keep trying to break this because as long as I keep trying, I am not failing.

..... I'm a night person. I don't go to bed until 1:30 - 2:00 am. Then, usually up by 7 am. Late night snacking is an issue for me as well. I usually eat supper around 6 pm ... so by 11 or so, I feel the need to eat. I'm sure it's a mental thing, just can't seem to shake it. Maybe down the road will incorporate it as a goal challenge or something; just not quite ready yet.

• cesse47
    Options
    ratdon3hylbq.jpeg

Right now, I only go out once every couple of weeks because of Covid concerns and usually for breakfast. I typically allow myself to choose what appeals from the menu ... then adjust the rest of my day accordingly so I stay under my daily goal. Prior to pandemic, I usually checked out the menu online to narrow down my choices and check nutritional info to be sure my choice(s) would work ok on my daily plan.
  • summer_jt
    summer_jt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How do you find your own past posts on here - to see if anyone has replied? Its not under "my discussions" or 'recent discussions' - seems MFP groups not obviously clear on the way posts are organised. Unlike, say, Facebook when I can always find everything I need to.?
This discussion has been closed.