Today's Goals - What are yours?

Options

Replies

• bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,317 Member
    Options
    Aww, I'm sorry, @conniewilkins56 and @eliezalot, for the anxiety. :'(

My goal for today is to get through a birthday party barbecue tonight without blowing my calories.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Aug 20
    My anxiety is super bad today (feeling on the verge of a panic attack all morning), so today gets an easy to-do list.
    • Drink some water
    • Log my food
    • Sleep as needed
    • Take meds as needed
    • Do something purposeful to relax/distract (anything from tv to biking to a craft).

@conniewilkins56 so sorry for your rough week. That is such an awful feeling. I hope you find some times of relief this week!

@bobsburgersfan - Thanks :) It sucks, but I'm gradually learning how to manage it better. And fortunately, it has gone down dramatically since this morning, so I'm going to call this a win, AND I got through everything on my list. I'm both energized (from the now lack of anxiety), but also exhausted (from dealing with aforementioned anxiety), but I made it through the day and am so thankful to be feeling better.

Husband and I might go for a bike ride this evening, though the meds I took might knock me out well before then, lol. (Stupid benadryl-like stuff. I hate it so much but am sure glad I have it for times when I need it!)

Today starts my long weekend, so I'm looking forward to resting, relaxing, and re-setting my brain a bit.

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Precook: Bacon for quichecake, turkey bacon for BFD on Sunday night, roast a chicken for next Wednesday and debone and make stock from carcass so I can make soup for Boyfriend's Mom. She's having a laminectomy and fusion in her lumbar spine on 9/2, and I'm going to be taking over food for Dad to heat up for them for two to three weeks or more afterwards. So I'm starting doing some stock-making for that. I need to source soup bones, too, so I can make a good beef stock for beef and noodles. Nothing like roasted bones for a good stock.

I also need to clean both bathrooms, and sweep and dust the upstairs hall.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Alexandra, you are a very kind person to do the things you do for others!
    Options
    I do like them, they're important to my boyfriend and he loves them, and I tend to be someone who does acts of love as their love language. So providing good, healthy food to them that they like and will eat is something useful I can do for my future mother-in-law as she heals from her surgery, and something I can do for my future father-in-law so that he can focus on caring for her.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Happy weekend!!!

Weekend Goals:
    • Work in the garden - planting and weeding
    • Harvest and can more green and wax beans
    • Cook something that will use up a ton of veggies in the fridge (leaning toward a curry, but would love suggestions)
    • REST
    • Bike ride
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My goal for today is maintenance. And I think that will probably be the case for the rest of my days. I may try to be more specific in the future, but this seems a good place to start.

A bit of a repeat from my introduction:

I am Rob, a 67 year old man and I have lost 200 pounds. A few days I weighed in at 160 pounds for the first time in over 50 years. It sure feels good.

I have been overweight pretty much since birth, my mother tells me the doctor at my first visit as a baby expressed concern about my weight. I do not remember a time that I was not overweight, except for a couple of very brief periods at the end of big diets.

About 10 years ago I was at 360 pounds, and about a year and a half ago 320. I started my current diet at 320 and am now down to my goal and in maintenance. I recently had a caliper based % body fat test and was at 16%, pretty good I think. MFP has been a great help, I have gotten a lot of support here.

I did it by reducing my calorie intake and tracking closely here. I found foods I like that fill me up without many calories (veggies and fruit) and have started exercising. I did not follow any particular diet and no drugs or surgery involved. On the surface its simple, burn more calories than you eat. In practice it is hard to do.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My goal for today is maintenance. And I think that will probably be the case for the rest of my days. I may try to be more specific in the future, but this seems a good place to start.

A bit of a repeat from my introduction:

I am Rob, a 67 year old man and I have lost 200 pounds. A few days I weighed in at 160 pounds for the first time in over 50 years. It sure feels good.

I have been overweight pretty much since birth, my mother tells me the doctor at my first visit as a baby expressed concern about my weight. I do not remember a time that I was not overweight, except for a couple of very brief periods at the end of big diets.

About 10 years ago I was at 360 pounds, and about a year and a half ago 320. I started my current diet at 320 and am now down to my goal and in maintenance. I recently had a caliper based % body fat test and was at 16%, pretty good I think. MFP has been a great help, I have gotten a lot of support here.

I did it by reducing my calorie intake and tracking closely here. I found foods I like that fill me up without many calories (veggies and fruit) and have started exercising. I did not follow any particular diet and no drugs or surgery involved. On the surface its simple, burn more calories than you eat. In practice it is hard to do.

Congratulations on your amazing loss....I hope you stick around and share more with us!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'm new here so I'm just going to drop a couple of goals for myself for today (Monday for me).
    1. Track my calories
    2. Take my son for a walk (he loves it)
    3. 15-minute tidy

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My goal for this week is to eat just the base calories allotted to me without considering any exercise calories. My goal for exercise for the next week is a minimum of 500 calories burned per day.
  • alligatorob
    Options
    My goal is to get to the gym today, and eat well.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    My goal for today is to make it one more day!...I got up early and tackled our bedroom closet sorting and throwing out....I have two pair of nice pants that still fit and a pair of jeans....a couple of pairs of shorts and lots of tops....the rest is going to a Goodwill....
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Happy weekend!!!

Weekend Goals:
    • Work in the garden - planting and weeding
    • Harvest and can more green and wax beans
    • Cook something that will use up a ton of veggies in the fridge (leaning toward a curry, but would love suggestions)
    • REST
    • Bike ride

Well I didn't get to most my weekend goals. My grandma had a stroke earlier this spring, and has been slowly deteriorating since then. She's had three TIAs in the last week, and while she has mentally recovered to her usual, sharp self, she is just getting so weak. After talking with my mom on Friday, it doesn't sound like she has much more than a week left. And while I've obviously known it was coming, and have been grieving it for a while already, it feels different when it is far more immediate. We've been super close my whole life, and I currently live across the country from her (and my parents). It has been really hard to not be home to help (my mom and aunts/uncles have been taking shifts staying with her 24 hours a day since the spring). So I took Friday to just rest, let myself cry a bit, and then distract myself. Laid on the couch, re-watched some old favorite TV (Psych), and just rested. I called her Saturday, and we talked for a bit - she really is sounding tired and weak. But it was so nice to talk to her. Today is her 94th birthday.

Saturday, I had some more energy, so started in on my list. No garden work this weekend, other than harvesting some beans and tomatoes. I didn't get the beans canned yet, but I did try out two new recipes - pickled fennel with orange slices and a fig-rosemary-red wine jam. I ended up not really in a cooking mood, so still have a ton of veggies to use up, but I can get to them this week. I did get plenty of rest, and husband and I had a nice bike ride Friday evening. I spent Sunday doing some errands, and prepping/starting to paint the guest room. I love painting - that instant gratification is so fun. It is currently this very dark, dingy, beige color that you don't really think about, until you see the new, lighter color on the wall (a light peach color). Suddenly it feels so much brighter and bigger. So satisfying!

Aug 24:
    • So much work
    • More work
    • Cook and can some carrot fennel soup to use up my many carrots.
    • Afternoon yoga?
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @eliezalot I'm so glad to hear that you're giving yourself time right now. I've been in a similar situation twice and letting yourself feel whatever you're going to feel, whenever you'll feel it is the best way to move through. I'm sending lots of love your way!

(Psych is also one of my comfort shows, by the way. It's the ultimate feel-good TV.)
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @emmyjaykay - Thanks :)

It has (fortunately) been a while since I've lost someone so close to me, but that whole grieving process has been rushing back to me. I forgot how much it can change from day to day and hour to hour. Its tiring trying to keep up with all the emotions.

And Psych is just the best. It really is the ultimate feel-good TV! (They are making a second Psych movie btw, on the NBC streaming app Peacock. At some point I will actually pay for the app just to see it :lol:)
  • eliezalot
    Options

Aug 24:
    • So much work
    • More work
    • Cook and can some carrot fennel soup to use up my many carrots.
    • Afternoon yoga?

Didn't get to my canning, but I did manage to use up a ton of veggies for dinner - made pav bhaji with some of the potatoes, eggplant, and cauliflower. It is so delicious and filling - like I was actually slightly under my calories yesterday. I can literally count the number of times that has happened lol. Also had a new tele-visit to get my prescription refilled. New doctor, who was wonderful. I still need to find a PCP near me in person though.

Aug 25
    • Pick up prescription
    • Activity of some sort (painting the guest room, biking, yoga)
    • Can green beans. Must do before they go bad. I just picked another good sized bunch yesterday.
  • alligatorob
    Options
    Just to eat right and get some exercise today.

Connie, feels good to take the old too big stuff to Goodwill doesn't it! I was a regular for a while. As I gained weight I saved a lot of my too small clothes, boxes and boxes. As I lost it was good to have them. As I went through the boxes on the way down I got rid of things as they got too big. Now I have all new clothes, and Goodwill got a lot. Keep up the good work!
    Options
    I went out and did errands and am now home with a bag full of new library books in an air conditioned room on a 90 degree day. And I'm going to stay in and read and try not to get warm.
  • mssue18
    mssue18 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I worked today and tonight I’ve been resting. I’m going to do some dishes then get right back in bed and rest some more until it’s time to go to sleep. Feels so good to do this once in a while.
    Options
    Cook the food and log the meals. Drink all the water.
    Stay as cool as I can because we're in for another steambath of a day.
    Clean the upstairs: tiny upstairs hallway, upstairs bathroom, our bedroom, and the sewing room. Leave tools available so Boyfriend can clean his office.

If I'm up to it I'll sort out what can go downstairs into storage in the garage and what is strictly sewing related supplies that must stay in the closet in the sewing room. It looks like a larger closet than it is, owing to the weirdness of the shape of it. (Tucked in under the eaves.)