Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,483 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! My arms are feeling much better this morning after Thursdays shooting...er I mean injections at the doctor's office. My watch claimed I got NO sleep Thursday and it's not totally wrong.

My left arm started hurting a short time after the the Thursday flu shot in that arm, as usual, but not really as badly as some years. My right arm, which took the pneumonia vaccination, seemed fine for several hours, so I laid on that side for my Thursday nap, and when I woke up my right arm was no longer fine. I suspect that my laying on it may have restricted blood flow and kept everything concentrated in that muscle. By bedtime Thursday night I could barely move my right arm, the pain was really bad, and I was having some chills and hot flashes, with a lot of sweat.

Now the mild chills and hot flashes, with sweat, are not unusual the night after such shots, but along with the really hardened shot site, and the lack of mobility that it caused, I just couldn't get to sleep or get comfortable so got back up and sat up in the living room with an ice pack pressed against it. That helped a little, and I dozed a bit on the couch. Finally, in the wee hours, it did soften a bit and I regained some mobility. I took my serape and curled up in the guest room to toss and turn the rest of the night, so that I wouldn't keep J up all night, as J had to work Friday, albeit only across the hall from the master bedroom, in the home office. It felt to me like I got at least a little sleep but my watch didn't seem to think so.

When I got up yesterday, Friday, I was pretty zombied out but made it through the day fine, got Lilo to the vet, where she got shot herself, antibiotic for the urinary tract infection that I had suspected, and they confirmed, and we had our usual Friday night pizza and a movie or Broadway show. I omitted the usual bottle of wine to go with the Friday night out at home.

Last night, I took an acetaminophen with hydrocodone at bedtime to help ease the remaining pain, and help with sleep. I definitely got more sleep last night, though I feel like I could have stayed in bed a bit longer. LOL.

There is still some residual pain, though not much in the left arm. The right arm is still worse, but definitely getting better. I expect it will take at least a couple more days on the right arm.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Wow, those are some reactions! Guess I'm lucky...had the Shingles and pneumonia shots last year or the year before. I get a little swollen and red at the injection site and a little pain/stiffness for a couple of days, but that's it. But then again, I'm used to pain, so maybe it just doesn't seem as bad to me.
    Ed, glad you're all set now, and good that you took Lilo in, infections are not good.
    Irene, glad you're enjoying the cooler weather.
    I am too. It's about 46 at the moment, sunny with a high of 64 expected. I like the crispness in the air.
    Happy Saturday, everyone.
  • eku0
    Options
    Rest in peace, RBG. Sad day for US, we've lost a champion for human rights and justice.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! It's actually a bit chilly out there, and we are expecting a high of only 71 today with plenty of sunshine. I need to drive the vehicles around a bit and may stop at a grocery while doing so.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Good morning.
    About 48 here at the moment, sunny with a high of 63 expected.
    No special plans for today.
    I can't wait for this to be over. There's no relief from the bad news. It's just exhausting.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    It was in the 30's when I got up this morning, now it is 41.
    Vix-Some days I hate to turn on the news. I really hope next year is better.
    We went apple picking yesterday. We picked 1/2 bushel of honey crisp apples. We made apple crisp when we got home. It made the house smell so good.
    Today I am cleaning the oven, as the apple crisp bubbled over. I also made shepard's pie for dinner tonight.
    I had my eye appt. on Monday and Friday they called to say my glasses were ready. I had to get a stronger lens for my right eye. I was having trouble distinguishing certain numbers.
    My eye pressure was down to 14. Big improvement since having the Trabeculoplasty, before it was up to 20. I am very relieved.
    Ed-I hope Lilo is feeling better.
    Jan-sorry about your tree.
    Hi Irene.
    Have a great day!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! It's delightfully chilly today, and will stay fairly cool all day. I have nothing critical on the agenda but may do a little house cleaning.

I got both cars out for Sunday morning trips, about half an hour each. When I did my car, that half hour was split as I drove to a somewhat more distant Kroger store than our usual one, bought a few things, and returned home with my groceries.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Jo, you always do such fun things. Apple picking and apple crisp both sound wonderful!
    Yum for shepard's pie too. So glad your eye appt went well. I'm sure that was a relief. You're really getting chilly Fall weather. Are the leaves turning yet? Some are drying, but the colors haven't really started here so far.
    Ed, I had places to go last week, so my car got it's rides in...this week, I get to just take it for a ride.
    I am enjoying the beautiful Autumn weather here. 40s-50s in the a.m. , sunny with a high of 66 expected today. Yesterday, I did nothing but sit out in the sun reading and enjoying the weather.
    I am currently reading Maya Angelou's " I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" which has been on my list for a long time, and I've finally got to it. The flow of her words is soothing, even if the story is not.
    Here it is Monday already, a new week. I hope everyone has a good one.
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    39 degrees here with an expected high of 68. I got out my insulated vest, as work can get chilly, especially going in and out of the cooler.
    Vix-A few of the trees have started to change out in the western part of the state. Mid Oct will probably be the best for leaf peeping. I love the fall, cooler weather, the colors, crisp air and wood fires.
    I haven't been reading much. I think I read 2 books over the summer. There was a time when I read 2 or 3 books a week.
    Time to get ready for work.
    Have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! It's another cool morning here. And it looks like it will be a lovely Autumn day. I still have some house cleaning to do, as that never goes away. Then again, no one is coming to visit so there's no hurry. LOL.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning
    131549-Happy-Autumn.jpg
    We are sunny with a high of 72 today. Perfect!
    Jo, the leaves will probably be turning in October here too. Autumn is my favorite...love the crispness in the air, colors, and getting to put on some cozier clothing.
    I've been reading a lot, usually at least 1 book per week...often more.
    Ed, do the leaves turn colors in GA?
    Today is not only the first day of Autumn but also my daughter's birthday...so double celebration!
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! It's another cool, wonderful Autumn day. I am still on summer hiatus from exercise walking, but plan to get back into it when the days get a bit shorter. I COULD go and get some groceries today, but I think I will wait until tomorrow or even later. Nothing is quite at critical level yet.

The leaves do turn in Georgia but not as spectacularly as further north.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Good to know, Ed. I should go for a walk this morning. It's pretty nice out. Currently 63 and sunny, high of 80 expected today.
    Have a good day everyone.
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Vix-happy birthday to your daughter! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! And it may become thundery Thursday before the clock hits midnight. There is a good chance of rain tis afternoon and evening, with overnight thunderstorms.

Not a lot on the agenda today.

• eku0
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Good morning,
    Thanks, Jo. The family's getting together on Sunday. The weather's supposed to be nice so we can be outside.
    Ed, it's pretty cloudy out at the moment, but the forecast is for sunny with a high of 76, currently 59. I did go for a walk yesterday, and went on my elliptical, but my hip and leg were not happy about it, so I'll stick to just the elliptical today.
    I have a scheduled pickup at the library this a.m. and will see what else the day brings.
    Have a good Thursday, everyone.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hello!!
    Glad everyone is doing well. Vix, hope your daughter had a great B-day. I never feel so old as when I realize how old my kids and grandkids are!! :# Nice weather here though more muggy. Nites are still cooler at 60 and upper 50's. We are supposed to have a "cold front" next week with highs in the 50's. I hope so!! Time to close down the flowers and all. I usually get caught as the days may still be warm enough for those stragglers that hang on. Hard for me to pull them, and then I get caught with a frost and am unprepared. And trying to do a weeks worth in a day or two, lol. Getting too old for that also!!

I have been having nerve spasms of my lower back, hip and sciatica this week. I can not get much done which is aggravating. Hoping things calm down and I can get to moving a little faster. I did hobble to lunch with a friend to Red Lobster. They were very well spaced, and also with a low number of customers. I felt very safe, and very sorry for them. I cannot imagine they are making enough to pay for their electricity, even at their extravagant prices. They had no salad products, which seemed weird. But they were hugely generous with their proportions, gave us extra shrimp and biscuits, and everything was cooked perfectly. It was so good to get out!!!

Hi Jo, Ed, and Irene!!! Everyone stay safe and enjoy the little things!! :)
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Cool and still a bit drippy this morning, and it should remain cool and cloudy all day and overnight, with 15% chance of rain all along.

Dinner last night, for me, was mac and cheese with tuna. Kiara and Lilo enjoyed the water drained from the tuna can.

For J, dinner was prepared in stages and we cooked that dinner together. Either one of us can make Asian stir fry sort of things, but they seem to come out amazingly good when we do it together, with me (and Eduardo) acting as sous chef, adviser, and a second hand/utensil stirring in the wok when needed.

At lunch time I fried the tofu triangles.

After my dinner, I chopped up an onion, a bell pepper, some broccoli, and some carrots, and made some tasty (and spicy) sauce.

When J was ready, we heated up J's stainless steel wok and got to it. Starting with the carrots, the veggies were stir fried. Then the tofu was added, to heat up. Then three scrambled eggs, and, when the eggs were done and broken up, two cups of pre-cooked rice, and the bowl of sauce I had made up.

The end result was a HUGE wok full of Thai style fried rice. A bit heavy on the sauce, but very tasty. I didn't have a plate of it, but did have a bite (and another for breakfast this morning) and it was heavenly. There is plenty for at least two more big meals there. I may have a small bit with lunch today. J, of course, will have a nice plate of it for lunch.

I need to get to the store soon, as the last onion went into the fried rice.

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,112 Member
    Options
    good Friday morning
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Ed, your stir fry dinner sounds delish!!! My husband bought a gluten free pizza, a treat for us. Of course, my scale is yelling at me this morning. My own fault, I always have to look.
    Irene, how's Sammy doing?
    Thanks, Jan. Sorry about your pains and hobble. Mine's been acting up too. I am still not ready to go to a restaurant. Nice that you were able to meet up with a friend.
    Hi Jo!
    Foggy and cloudy here today, in the 50s this a.m. with a high of 74 expected, probably some rain in the evening or overnight.
    Need to do some paperwork, some housework, exercise etc...same old same old.
    Have a good Friday, everyone.