Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would probably try to get my carpal tunnel fixed in the same year for deductible reasons. Blech.

My mother has carpal tunnel problems and she has found relief by wearing a support glove during the night and doing specific exercises from YouTube. I'm just suggesting it in case you need some relief until you can get it fixed.

All the best with scheduling the procedures!

• Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    I've decided to delay my shoulder replacement surgery until next year, as we are selling our house in Colorado and moving to Maryland next month. It sucks because I've met my deductible and like the orthopedic surgeon but with Covid shutting down some elective surgeries, I'm going to deal with the pain and wait until the spring.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    I feel really bloated and wrong in my clothes. I know that this is a temporary thing and I'm probably losing weight soon (I don't have to suck in to zip my jeans, and that's a new development.) But it's still annoying and messes with me and my autism. I want things to be okay again.

If misery loves company you have some. I am super bloated at the moment and yesterday at church was the first time in some time I felt uncomfortable in clothes that usually feel slightly baggy.

I seem to be piling on the reasons to be bloated and I am travelling this week to add to them. Man I am dreading when all of this has to come back off. It is going to wreck my electrolytes if I am not careful. That will be next week's problem though.

My right knee has been bothering me for days. It is making a new sound and I can almost feel a more bone on bone sensation. I am worried this is the beginning of the end of keeping my original equipment. I know knee replacement is on my road map I just was hoping to put it off a little longer. I get Xrayed again after the first of the year and I am willing to bet this is happening next year. From what I have heard, and this may be outdated info now, but for double knee replacement I will be at a recovery facility for 2 weeks. Likely it will happen while there is pretty strict CV19 protocols in place so it will do it all without visitors. Fun.

I work in outpatient surgery at a large hospital and we've been getting total joint replacements, including bilateral knees. Our bilateral knees, barring complication, go home the next morning with home health therapy arranged for PT to come to their homes 3-4 times per week.

My dad had both his knees replaced a few years ago (I think the surgeries were 2 months apart), and he had a great experience. He spent one night in the hospital, the next day they had him up and walking and sent him home. He went back to work 2 days later. In his words "I've had colds that were worse!"

He is 70 and obese, but also incredibly muscular and strong. He took the pre-surgery prep very seriously, which the surgeon says is what allowed him recover so well. According to a physical therapist friend, a main issue is that is that due to the pain, people become less active and lose a lot of muscle tone and strength. The stronger you are pre-surgery, the easier the recovery. Once you've got the surgery scheduled, the focus becomes strengthening the muscles you have, rather than trying to preserve the knee. For my dad, this meant pushing through some pain and the grinding sensation, but really paid off post-surgery. He went to PT for a few weeks afterwards, did all of his exercises, and now walks great (hiking, outdoor work, etc...) He wishes he had done it years earlier.

I will note on the bilateral replacement - lots of people do it, my dad wanted to. But his surgeon told him that if someone offers to do both knees at once, then you need to find a new surgeon, lol. So at least worth researching, if you think you want to go that way!

Note: I have a medical/health background, but am NOT a doctor. Ask your doctor, and make sure you find a reputable hospital and surgeon who you trust!
  • I ate too much spinach yesterday. Grr. I didn't think that was enough to trigger the IBS, but here we go, I know the symptoms. So much for me getting much done today.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    I would probably try to get my carpal tunnel fixed in the same year for deductible reasons. Blech.

My mother has carpal tunnel problems and she has found relief by wearing a support glove during the night and doing specific exercises from YouTube. I'm just suggesting it in case you need some relief until you can get it fixed.

All the best with scheduling the procedures!

It is a good suggestion. Those gloves do help quite a bit even with a case that is as severe as mine.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I feel really bloated and wrong in my clothes. I know that this is a temporary thing and I'm probably losing weight soon (I don't have to suck in to zip my jeans, and that's a new development.) But it's still annoying and messes with me and my autism. I want things to be okay again.

If misery loves company you have some. I am super bloated at the moment and yesterday at church was the first time in some time I felt uncomfortable in clothes that usually feel slightly baggy.

I seem to be piling on the reasons to be bloated and I am travelling this week to add to them. Man I am dreading when all of this has to come back off. It is going to wreck my electrolytes if I am not careful. That will be next week's problem though.

My right knee has been bothering me for days. It is making a new sound and I can almost feel a more bone on bone sensation. I am worried this is the beginning of the end of keeping my original equipment. I know knee replacement is on my road map I just was hoping to put it off a little longer. I get Xrayed again after the first of the year and I am willing to bet this is happening next year. From what I have heard, and this may be outdated info now, but for double knee replacement I will be at a recovery facility for 2 weeks. Likely it will happen while there is pretty strict CV19 protocols in place so it will do it all without visitors. Fun.

I work in outpatient surgery at a large hospital and we've been getting total joint replacements, including bilateral knees. Our bilateral knees, barring complication, go home the next morning with home health therapy arranged for PT to come to their homes 3-4 times per week.

My dad had both his knees replaced a few years ago (I think the surgeries were 2 months apart), and he had a great experience. He spent one night in the hospital, the next day they had him up and walking and sent him home. He went back to work 2 days later. In his words "I've had colds that were worse!"

He is 70 and obese, but also incredibly muscular and strong. He took the pre-surgery prep very seriously, which the surgeon says is what allowed him recover so well. According to a physical therapist friend, a main issue is that is that due to the pain, people become less active and lose a lot of muscle tone and strength. The stronger you are pre-surgery, the easier the recovery. Once you've got the surgery scheduled, the focus becomes strengthening the muscles you have, rather than trying to preserve the knee. For my dad, this meant pushing through some pain and the grinding sensation, but really paid off post-surgery. He went to PT for a few weeks afterwards, did all of his exercises, and now walks great (hiking, outdoor work, etc...) He wishes he had done it years earlier.

I will note on the bilateral replacement - lots of people do it, my dad wanted to. But his surgeon told him that if someone offers to do both knees at once, then you need to find a new surgeon, lol. So at least worth researching, if you think you want to go that way!

Note: I have a medical/health background, but am NOT a doctor. Ask your doctor, and make sure you find a reputable hospital and surgeon who you trust!

I will keep all of that in mind.

I wonder though if the surgeon's comments about the bilateral were situational to your father and his age. I will definitely look into it some more.

The only reason I am trying to delay the procedure is because, from what I understand, the replacements will wear down over time. The longer I keep my original equipment the less of a chance I will need a second round of knee replacements later in life.

On a more positive note my knee has rebounded a little. I started wearing my brace most of the day with the compression sleeve underneath. My new heavier duty brace just came in. I thought the old one was a pain to put on... this new one requires an engineering degree. I also bought a heavier duty sleeve but I think it is just too small so I need the next size up. I guess the good news about the new brace being so hard to put on is that I really do not want to take it off anymore than needed.

I didn't think much about compression sleeves but it really helps and because it is far easier to put on, if I need to do something quick and my knees are naked, it works well as long as what I am doing is on the mild side. That is one thing the whole weight loss and fitness process has reinforced for me... always layer your plans. Plan A may be the most ideal but sometimes Plan B is "good enough".
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »

I will keep all of that in mind.

I wonder though if the surgeon's comments about the bilateral were situational to your father and his age. I will definitely look into it some more.

The only reason I am trying to delay the procedure is because, from what I understand, the replacements will wear down over time. The longer I keep my original equipment the less of a chance I will need a second round of knee replacements later in life.

On a more positive note my knee has rebounded a little. I started wearing my brace most of the day with the compression sleeve underneath. My new heavier duty brace just came in. I thought the old one was a pain to put on... this new one requires an engineering degree. I also bought a heavier duty sleeve but I think it is just too small so I need the next size up. I guess the good news about the new brace being so hard to put on is that I really do not want to take it off anymore than needed.

I didn't think much about compression sleeves but it really helps and because it is far easier to put on, if I need to do something quick and my knees are naked, it works well as long as what I am doing is on the mild side. That is one thing the whole weight loss and fitness process has reinforced for me... always layer your plans. Plan A may be the most ideal but sometimes Plan B is "good enough".

You're very right, there's a highly delicate, individual balance of when to have it done.

For my dad, being a little older already, he considered the advantages of pain free movement now when he could take advantage of it in his 70's, and will worry about a replacement in 15 years when he probably isn't going to be out hiking/rafting/adventuring as much anyway. However, if he had known how easy it would be (and successful his outcome would be), he would have done it years earlier, and had a second one if necessary. This of course is so individual and situational, but I always like to share my dad's experience, because while it of course it isn't that easy for everyone, I feel those success cases aren't talked about as nearly as often.

I'll also note that my dad's old mentor had, I believe, 7 hip replacements over several decades. Most of them he just wore out (he liked to go dancing), and one or two were recalled (like, medical device recalls) :flushed:. He was very physically active until his late 90's, and always recovered quickly.

• cremorna1
    Hi!

It seems like my life has about 4 major areas I am trying to keep in balance at any given point:
    1. health - healthy eating, 10000 steps/day (for me), logging my food on MFP, weight loss, adherence to medication plans, not skipping dr's appointments etc.
    2. work - working my full-time job and/or my side projects
    3. spiritual - church activities, daily devotional etc.
    4. social - keeping up with friends and family in person or online

It seems I can only successfully focus on 2 of these 4 goals at a time. And I don't even have a 'hobbies' category, because right now my health is my hobby! I am so frustrated that I can't seem to be successful at doing really good across the 4 categories. I can only do 2 well, and 2 at an 'ok' level at a time... Argh! Why is being an adult so annoying?

To top it off, after losing 30 lbs (of about 90-100 lbs that I need to lose), I don't lose as easy. I need to be super-stringent with my logging and exercise to have enough calories to feel full and be in a comfortable deficit.

Rant over. I need to make this work. I will make it work. I just need to manage my time better. (And possibly stay of the MFP forums more :) )
  • cremorna1
    The 4 categories are not in any particular order... although I try to keep health & spiritual at the top as much as possible. I've only recently started doing this in an intentional manner, up to this year it was always work first, everything else can be as it may.
  • cremorna1
    Oh, so sorry to hear this, @joone_9!! Sending prayers your way. It's bad news, but there is hope. I think breast cancer has very good treatments available and you are young, so the odds must be looking good.
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Aw @joone_9 im so sorry to hear this. May peace be with you
  • So apparently today just simply logging what I eat feels like it's a very frightening and vulnerable thing to do. Lovely, I get to dig out more of the issues around food. I thought I did that already. (sigh)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    I want to wear my big frumpy sweater.

You wrap yourself up in the big frumpy sweater until it goes around you twice if you want.

I hope this doesn't bring you to the "why am I doing this anyway" headspace. There are so many reasons to lose weight other than to "look nice" - thank goodness - because I know the mirror rarely reflects an image I'm happy with. You are working so hard to have control of your body - so you get to choose how you want to present it and to whom.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    So I wear this cardigan sweater when it’s chilly. I live in Florida so it doesn’t really stay cold for long.

As I was leaving for the market yesterday, my sister remarks that “ that sweater makes you look frumpy. It’s too big”.

I tell her it’s fine I don’t care.

She says it’s not an insult, it’s a good thing. It’s too big for you.

I say I’m not buying another because next year I’ll be way smaller.

She says just buy one on sale. You look frumpy. I smile and leave for the market.

Truthfully, it pisses me off. Why should she give a hoot about how I look? Who is she to make comments on my clothes all the time.

Number 1. I do t like people looking at me period. I’m very self conscious and I hate it.

This is one reason I’m fat today. I was kidnapped at 14 and I’m terrified of someone wanting me in that way.

It will take me more time to did through all the trauma in my life than it will to lose the weight.

I don’t want to wear clothes that fit my body. I want to wear my big frumpy sweater.

Hopefully, although it may not be the case (sibling relationships are indeed complex), this was your sister attempting to say she's proud of your weight loss efforts? and doesn't understand how self-conscious you are (most of us are pretty good at hiding it).

But absolutely it's not her place to tell you how to dress and if you want to wear your big cozy jumper - do!

Sorry to hear about your experience as a teenager, that must have been terrifying.
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    So I wear this cardigan sweater when it’s chilly. I live in Florida so it doesn’t really stay cold for long.

As I was leaving for the market yesterday, my sister remarks that “ that sweater makes you look frumpy. It’s too big”.

I tell her it’s fine I don’t care.

She says it’s not an insult, it’s a good thing. It’s too big for you.

I say I’m not buying another because next year I’ll be way smaller.

She says just buy one on sale. You look frumpy. I smile and leave for the market.

Truthfully, it pisses me off. Why should she give a hoot about how I look? Who is she to make comments on my clothes all the time.

Number 1. I do t like people looking at me period. I’m very self conscious and I hate it.

This is one reason I’m fat today. I was kidnapped at 14 and I’m terrified of someone wanting me in that way.

It will take me more time to did through all the trauma in my life than it will to lose the weight.

I don’t want to wear clothes that fit my body. I want to wear my big frumpy sweater.

I’m sorry for what you went through as a teen and I hope you have people in your life that can validate you. Sisters can suck.