Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Stomping those feet will burn some calories! It’s just fluctuations. It will work itself out in the wash! Keep your head up.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I don't know why my period couldn't wait to show up til AFTER Thanksgiving. Grr. SO helpful, with everything I'm trying to do!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    Stomping those feet will burn some calories! It’s just fluctuations. It will work itself out in the wash! Keep your head up.

This. One thing I have learned about fluctuations is that you will never decode them all. It could be a higher sodium meal that snuck past your radar, a change in medication dosage, mild inflammation, stress, super mild or asymptomatic illness (this was happening long before covid hit, especially to me), and anything with the skin like rashes, burns, cuts, abrasions, bruises, etc. The list goes on and on.

I will be up today when I weigh. I know because I was thirsty last night. When things are normal I seldom have anything to drink after dinner and I usually do not drink that much at dinner. I did a new volunteer job yesterday and I worked pretty hard. The fact I will be up sucks since I stayed in an uptick for the last 6 weeks. I am still itchy and I really do not want a 4th rounds of steroids. It might be the 5th round if you count the shot as one. The poison ivy is much improved but there are still some spots.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You must have rolled around in that poison ivy!....I hope you get complete relief very soon....

My weight was back down 2 1/2 lbs this morning SMH....

I tend to panic lol
    Options
    I feel really bloated and wrong in my clothes. I know that this is a temporary thing and I'm probably losing weight soon (I don't have to suck in to zip my jeans, and that's a new development.) But it's still annoying and messes with me and my autism. I want things to be okay again.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Blah. This whole week has been not great weight wise. Surgery last Friday so I ate at Maintenence last weekend to help with the healing. There was a pot luck at work on Monday and of course I ate but not a lot. Still more calories than normal. The whole week was like that. A little snack here. A few bites there. On Monday I noticed that my weight was creeping up. I know there is no way I was eating that much so I chalked it up to healing. Wednesday rolls around and TOM appears. While this doesn’t seem like a big deal it’s the first one in 23 years. Like wtf?? It explains the increase in weight (5 freaking lbs over the last week). How does anybody deal with this every single month?? And the snacking cravings are ridiculous!

That’s my rant. Fingers crossed that this goes away and everything goes back to how it’s supposed to be. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway!

I have no experience with TOM but healing kicked my hunger into overdrive. So for you it may be a double whammy.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I feel really bloated and wrong in my clothes. I know that this is a temporary thing and I'm probably losing weight soon (I don't have to suck in to zip my jeans, and that's a new development.) But it's still annoying and messes with me and my autism. I want things to be okay again.

If misery loves company you have some. I am super bloated at the moment and yesterday at church was the first time in some time I felt uncomfortable in clothes that usually feel slightly baggy.

I seem to be piling on the reasons to be bloated and I am travelling this week to add to them. Man I am dreading when all of this has to come back off. It is going to wreck my electrolytes if I am not careful. That will be next week's problem though.

My right knee has been bothering me for days. It is making a new sound and I can almost feel a more bone on bone sensation. I am worried this is the beginning of the end of keeping my original equipment. I know knee replacement is on my road map I just was hoping to put it off a little longer. I get Xrayed again after the first of the year and I am willing to bet this is happening next year. From what I have heard, and this may be outdated info now, but for double knee replacement I will be at a recovery facility for 2 weeks. Likely it will happen while there is pretty strict CV19 protocols in place so it will do it all without visitors. Fun.
    Options
    I think I'm going to see if I can handle refraining from chips for a day or two and see if that helps me drop some of the water. I'm normally very careful about denying myself because that sends me to some very unhelpful places psychologically, but that's the main place I get a lot of sodium these days, so it's worth an experiment. We'll see if I can handle it today, just as a start.
  • gewel321
    Options
    Alexandra try to sub it out with something. that way you can still have the feeling of habit but not with the sodium.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I think I'm going to see if I can handle refraining from chips for a day or two and see if that helps me drop some of the water. I'm normally very careful about denying myself because that sends me to some very unhelpful places psychologically, but that's the main place I get a lot of sodium these days, so it's worth an experiment. We'll see if I can handle it today, just as a start.

I am not sure how it works for you. I am generally okay when I know it is a temporary hold. Like I can say no chips for a week and it doesn't phase me. I don't feel deprived or denied because I know there is an end date and a good reason for the restriction.

If I say no chips ever again I run into trouble.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

If misery loves company you have some. I am super bloated at the moment and yesterday at church was the first time in some time I felt uncomfortable in clothes that usually feel slightly baggy.

I seem to be piling on the reasons to be bloated and I am travelling this week to add to them. Man I am dreading when all of this has to come back off. It is going to wreck my electrolytes if I am not careful. That will be next week's problem though.

My right knee has been bothering me for days. It is making a new sound and I can almost feel a more bone on bone sensation. I am worried this is the beginning of the end of keeping my original equipment. I know knee replacement is on my road map I just was hoping to put it off a little longer. I get Xrayed again after the first of the year and I am willing to bet this is happening next year. From what I have heard, and this may be outdated info now, but for double knee replacement I will be at a recovery facility for 2 weeks. Likely it will happen while there is pretty strict CV19 protocols in place so it will do it all without visitors. Fun.

Yep two weeks is normal if you have both done at once unless something different has happened!...why would you want both done at once?....I had mine done 4 months apart and that was pretty brutal....you might get relief from having one knee done if you are favoring one over the other one...I can understand wanting the rehab all in one shot and being put to sleep only one time but I think I would do it the same way I did....I still can’t kneel and they make a clicking noise constantly when I walk...drives me crazy....but the are much better than before I had them replaced....how is the poison ivy doing?....
  • gewel321
    Options

If it is not pressing I would try to put it off until this COVID stuff calms down. Due to the hospitals and rehab facilities filling up they are sending people home after hip and knees to recover at home with home health and home PT. This is a bad bad option. Make sure you know what you will
    Actually be doing post surgery before you decide. However I was just told that I would be getting the vaccine before the end of the year and that after the healthcare workers get it then it will trickle down so it might not be much of an issue by the time you are ready.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options

I work in outpatient surgery at a large hospital and we've been getting total joint replacements, including bilateral knees. Our bilateral knees, barring complication, go home the next morning with home health therapy arranged for PT to come to their homes 3-4 times per week.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options

If it is not pressing I would try to put it off until this COVID stuff calms down. Due to the hospitals and rehab facilities filling up they are sending people home after hip and knees to recover at home with home health and home PT. This is a bad bad option. Make sure you know what you will
    Actually be doing post surgery before you decide. However I was just told that I would be getting the vaccine before the end of the year and that after the healthcare workers get it then it will trickle down so it might not be much of an issue by the time you are ready.

Actually, unless already much older, weak or deconditioned, the vast majority of people discharge home after knee and hip replacement surgeries. Most people do not require inpatient rehab. Even 4 years ago when I worked in our hospital's "Joint Camp" and patients routinely had drains and stayed up to 3 nights (hips in less physically fit, older people, usually), far more people discharged home, not to rehab facilities. As I said, there were exceptions, obviously, mostly some combination of elderly/weak/deconditioned/major health conditions that limit activity.

The patients I am seeing now, if not one of the above conditions, are doing very well post-op, with same day or next day discharge. Weight-bearing as tolerated, walker for stability, new and improved dressings, less invasive incisions.
    Options
    Today wasn't bad. The quesadilla had enough crunch, and as long as I don't have the "You're being DEPRIVED!!!" alarm go off in my head, I can say, "Yeah, I'm not eating that right now for reasons," and be okay with it. Tomorrow I may have a few onion rings with my burger. Homemade they don't get salt. So I'm doing good.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Yep two weeks is normal if you have both done at once unless something different has happened!...why would you want both done at once?....I had mine done 4 months apart and that was pretty brutal....you might get relief from having one knee done if you are favoring one over the other one...I can understand wanting the rehab all in one shot and being put to sleep only one time but I think I would do it the same way I did....I still can’t kneel and they make a clicking noise constantly when I walk...drives me crazy....but the are much better than before I had them replaced....how is the poison ivy doing?....

Cost is cheaper and out of work time is less to do both at the same time. Also, I am the kind of person that would rather deal with more pain over a shorter interval than less pain over more time.

The remnants of the poison ivy refuse to clear up completely but if I were going to put a percent on it I would say 97 percent gone. It was definitely in my blood stream and to some degree in my lungs. I can't tell you how many times I thought I might be the next covid case because my lungs felt "tight" off and on. I even considered getting tested a few times. The information out there is pretty much horrible but it appears that if I have any of the bigger symptoms I *should* have a fever too and as many times as I have checked my temperature, the highest it has been is 98.2.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Actually, unless already much older, weak or deconditioned, the vast majority of people discharge home after knee and hip replacement surgeries. Most people do not require inpatient rehab. Even 4 years ago when I worked in our hospital's "Joint Camp" and patients routinely had drains and stayed up to 3 nights (hips in less physically fit, older people, usually), far more people discharged home, not to rehab facilities. As I said, there were exceptions, obviously, mostly some combination of elderly/weak/deconditioned/major health conditions that limit activity.

The patients I am seeing now, if not one of the above conditions, are doing very well post-op, with same day or next day discharge. Weight-bearing as tolerated, walker for stability, new and improved dressings, less invasive incisions.

That is good to know. My legs are in pretty good shape and I have been through PT to help preserve my knees. I am working on some muscles that were sore after my hike that told me I am not doing enough work there.

I hope that all means I would be discharged to home PT. The surgery would likely be next Spring sometime. I would probably try to get my carpal tunnel fixed in the same year for deductible reasons. Blech.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

That is good to know. My legs are in pretty good shape and I have been through PT to help preserve my knees. I am working on some muscles that were sore after my hike that told me I am not doing enough work there.

I hope that all means I would be discharged to home PT. The surgery would likely be next Spring sometime. I would probably try to get my carpal tunnel fixed in the same year for deductible reasons. Blech.

Co pays were one reason I got both knees replaced in the same year...you are younger than I am so you are probably right about dealing with the pain, etc....I was in the hospital 5 days both times and then had a nurse at home a few times a week before I started therapy...I am sure with COVID the length of time in the hospital has shortened...I was also very much larger than I am now!

Glad to hear the poison ivy is finally clearing up...I have been hit with Shingles twice this past November...I only get small areas infected but it is still annoying and painful....