Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A smattering of snow and ice overnight so I’m not rushing to go out and both pooches have had a visit to the garden.

Lin, my ex gardener lady keeps sending me emailed opinions on everything from anti 5G, masks, the vaccine and even the US election result, all from what she reads on Facebook. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve reminded her I’m not a Facebook user for good reason but when her recent “fact” was the army was on our streets arresting people I used the words hysteria and paranoia. Haha, just as well I don’t use Facebook because I too have an opinion but some folk seem incapable of accepting an opposite view without getting tetchy!

Look forward to hearing your car experience Sandy.

More of the white stuff falling from the sky so I’ll head for a hot shower and think about porridge for breakfast!

Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We've gone onto another page so I'm a bit hazy about replying. Will leave until later but I believe Sandy had a bad car experience and Lins friend is in twilight zone. I sympathize with you over the lady off her Med's though. The most expensive trip I ever took was to British Columbia with my old travelling buddy and friend. I learnt she was manic depressive on that vacation. The holiday could have been wrecked because she was in a dreadful down swing but it wasn't because I was so enchanted with the scenery. Poor lass, she has dementia now and lives too far away to visit even if I could. I remember the trips we had on an "upswing" spell, lots of fun. Like Jackie I keep well clear of Facebook. To be honest my life seems to get busier and busier or I'm getting slower and slower. Anyway, enough around here to do without adding Facebook eating up time.

Having said that nothing outstanding to report on yesterday's antics. I had a very busy day busily doing nothing, lol. The highlight was eating a very tasty salmon fillet whilst Bean gobbled up her raw dog meat at lightning speed. Too cold to go far beyond the garden it's supposed to warm up tomorrow with snow arrival.

Bye for now as I end this and refresh the grey cells with everyones doings of yesterday.
    Anne. Keep smiling!!!! ❤️💜❤️💜❤️💜❤️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,091 Member
    Options
    Sandydur wrote: »
    No Car.....terrible experience. So happy my son went with me. Will explain tomorrow.

Oh dear 😟😢😟 so sorry Sandy.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning. It has been a busy couple days. Had a few photo projects. Jean’s friend came by to pick up some restorations Friday afternoon and stayed close to 4 hours. I hibernated upstairs. She brought another restoration and I was able to complete within the 4 hours.

nalp2vzmtqx2.jpg

Sad about Hank Aaron, baseball’s one-time home run king, passing away at 86 and Larry King at 87.
    The stories of Larry King certainly outnumbered Hank ( at least it seemed that way). But I thought King did pretty darn well living to 87 considering numerous medical issues in recent decades (heart attacks / bypass / stroke / coma and diagnoses of diabetes and lung cancer) and history as an “extremely” heavy smoker - so much so that at times kept ash tray in the shower… I’d say he did pretty well.

Before Larry King, I was addicted to the TV show FREEMAN REPORTS on CNN for 5 years. It was hosted by an award winning journalist named Sandi Freeman – enjoyed her show a lot and recall being saddened when Larry first replaced her. She was a great interviewer.

This morning I read -- A teen was stabbed in the back Saturday night near the parking deck at Destiny USA…The teen was found conscious and breathing with a knife sticking out of his back…taken to Hospital with non-life threatening injuries…”

8wc3bmsfqe5z.jpg

We are heading out in about an hour, but see I missed a lot of posts and may need to catch up later.

Sandy – Sorry to read about Babe’s brother dying of a heart attack and the fact that you have lost someone that was of great support to you. While there is always the positive of someone not suffering anymore, I know that doesn’t alleviate your pain. Again… sorry for your loss.

On a side note re: shopping bargains, I feel a tiny bit guilty knowing so many businesses are being crushed…on the plus side every purchase is incentive not to start going up a size or two. :)

Anne – Glad to hear that your grandson, Derek got such great news! There is something about seeing grandchildren do well that touches the heart of most grandparents – if there has been closeness. It is like a “win” for both parties.
    Loved the “bean” there done that” humor. Love Mexican food. That’s a nice heritage mix Derek has going for himself. I am a mix as well – mostly Irish on my dad’s side with a touch of Scottish/Dutch. As for mom – that was French-Canadian. Now you have me thinking of one of my long ago Irish relatives that was a missionary nun in Hawaii the same time of Father Damien etc.

Love that you are ever the optimist!

Patsy – Thanks for the “cookbook” idea….food for thought. LOL…. Hope some sun continues to break through and that Feb brings those daffodils. I’ll admit that I have been starting to count down to Spring myself.

I can tell Jean is almost ready to leave – so more tomorrow.

Enjoy your Sunday – Warm wishes and wishes for warmth. Bob
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A slushy walk to the next village was enough this morning and after lunch I’ve mooched, caught up with my brother living in Spain and had fun looking online for veggie seeds before the suppliers run out as happened in last year’s lockdown. Hooray I’m ahead of the game!
    It hasn’t particularly warmed up and when I went down to the hens to give them bedtime corn George followed but by the time I returned to my cottage he was waiting at the door... “let me in!”
    0lk3cwkj6okf.jpeg

Patsy, check out You Tube, Annie Lennox Fido’s Lament Choral performance for a Sunday morning chill. I looked up her video Moonlight Sonata that she’s taught herself to play during lockdown and got redirected to the choral performance! I love her singing voice, it’s so pure and she is a remarkable person for all sorts of reasons. Of course now I’m wondering if The Eurythmics are known in the States.

The fire is glowing and both pooches lying as close as they dare. Brady has taken my chair I use for working on the jigsaw so I’ll get some supper on the go!

Stay safe everyone
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,042 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) My son went with me to the Honda dealership. I was informed the car I inquired about was sold before I got there. She found another car and I was interested until we got down to financing. I told her I was trying to keep my payment down to a certain amount but that went over her head. I had a down payment in mind and depending on my trade in I had it figure close to what I wanted. However, they were only offering me $1050 for my trade in which was just ridiculous. She gave us figures double the amount I wanted for a down payment and my son was getting frustrated. She called the manager over and he asked what I thought my car was worth and I told him according to Blue Book it was $5000 or $3000 for a trade-in. My son kept telling him that they were basically charging $4000 more than the car was listed. Finally my son said let's go mom, told the manager to give me my car keys. As we were leaving the manager mumbled something and my son said what did you say?? Then told him he heard him mumble thanks for wasting my time. My son is a big guy so I am glad they didn't get into an argument.
    I will stick with my car until I save a little more money or until I find a really good deal. I have never bought a car on my own and the stress is just too much during a pandemic.

So again, I have to take a shower and get ready for my family video call. I will try to get back later but if not, I wish you all a fun and safe day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I really adore the interesting English expressions. There are times I am reminded that we Americans have created our own dialect differences within our own country. Being raised in old Texas and Louisiana, I have language from the old south. John was born in Colorado and speaks witha different set of expressions. We both love the English words for various things. Porridge=oatmeal! We have to use closed captioning on our TV often when we watch wonderful English mystery series. I cannot understand the accent and it is spoken soooo fast! Now imagine this....Anne and I are trying to chisel out children’s stories coming from these two disparate backgrounds and speech differences. It is a family effort. Our whole families gets to weigh in on the little adventures we write. Love it!❤️❤️

Today is very rainy and sort of mild. I am making that Sunday special casserole that is from my childhood. Rice, shrimp, bell peppers, onion, lots of garlic and spicy red sauce. Salad as a side and grapes for dessert. John can’t live without something sweet at the end of a meal. Strangely we haven’t gained any weight during isolation. Of course, John struggles to keep from getting too skinny. I have the opposite issue, naturally.

Sandy: I would seriously be in deep poo-poo (sorry for my rudeness here) if I tried to buy a car by myself. I don’t know anything about them other than you put in gas and then turn them on and drive away. I believe most car dealers are programmed to take advantage of women. I know that’s an old adage but I still believe it. Take care and have your son go with you.

Bob: that mall is sounding more and more troubled. Many of our malls in Oregon have closed, including the upscale ones in Portland. Lots of ideas floating around on what to do with the big empty structures.

Jackie: oh yes we know and love the eurythmics. I will check out the suggested music, thanks! The photo of George reminds me of Katie waiting patiently to be toweled off after one of her very very frequent trips out into the back yard.

Anne: I was never one of those delightful creatures that would flit about at lightning speed. But as I have aged and move about so slow and with great caution, it realy takes me twice or three times as long to do ANYTHING! Yet we must plunge on. Never give in or up.
    Sunday Baroque 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🐕
    Patsy☘️
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Catching up reading the posts. I've been keeping myself busy doing lots of walking. Alberta is still in lock down mode for the most part. No visits allowed so we haven't seen our family in way way too long. I've started a #walk365 challenge. I do that anyway, but I hope to walk outside every day instead. I had been walking inside because of the slippery sidewalks and paths but I dug out cleats for my shoes and they are great. They work wonderful. Ed and I have been to a nice park near us for two times and he has cleats for himself coming on Monday. You are allowed to meet people outside so we had a visit with a good friend of ours and that was very nice. With his new cleats I'm sure I can convince him to join me on more excursions outside.

Today when I went for my walk there was lots of hoar frost on the trees. It was so pretty.

rwfur9trd7eg.jpg

I bought Ed an Apple Watch for Christmas and it has inspired him to get active and motivated to meet the exercise goals Apple sets for you. He is joining me in my walks in the house. It is lots of fun to walk our figure 8 through the kitchen, hallway, pantry and back to the kitchen several times a day. We also make sure we stand up at least once an hour to move around. Ed says we talk more walking that we usually do through out the day too. LOL

Hope you all have a great day.

Jeri
  • pinkperil
    Options
    omy05b75d8kv.jpeg

Spotted this photo on the BBC website taken in today’s snow. Reminded me of Katie!! ❤️

Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    You beat me to it with the photo Jackie.

Michael decided not to come over today because he is increasingly worried about the virus especially as the postal depot has lost half the postal workers who are off sick with this bug. So we had a huge happy surprise today when Mark and Mary Jo showed up wearing their masks, me wearing mine. Jilly was beside herself with excitement. She tries so hard to talk. Honest, she really does and the Ms are beginning to realize I'm not joking when they listen to her trying to communicate with varying tones from the back of her throat. Anyway being already bundled up to handle the cold they took her off for a walk to the mailboxes. We all only pick up our mail on a Sunday now in the hope the bug will dissipate with no mailman visiting the boxes over the weekend. So I have one contented Bean to match me contented at not having to bundle up as well and go out. Mark is still in pain six weeks after his surgery.

Feeling a bit sleepy. I couldn't sleep last night but finally took Jill for a pee at 5am and I had just dropped off when she woke me up at 6am her normal time. I was dreaming the government had gone broke and wouldn't be paying us any more pensions. What a calamity, so I didn't mind being woken up.

I've got some cleats somewhere at the back of the shoe and coat closet Jeri.

So what do I do before bedtime? Read a book, watch Netflix and Trapped or do a jigsaw? Huge decision!
    Hugs to all and don't over work yourselves on Monday.
    Annsie baby.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :)Sandy, It was probably a message from a HIgher Power that you don't need to buy a car, that the one you have now is just fine.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening. Storm warning still in effect but last time I looked it had not arrived yet.

I finished a puzzle, read a book, did more die cutting for St. Patrick’s day. Got a few pieces cut out. I am watching PBS this evening. I watched the first episode of the Agatha Christie programs online this afternoon as I fell asleep before it was over last week. I hope to see all of it this week! The online church service started early so I missed the beginning, will have to restart it one of these days.

I was also in touch with one friend today. Everyone else seems to have disappeared. I did try to check on my friends with Covid and really nothing from her the last couple days. This evening she emerged briefly to say she is just so fatigued that she is not doing anything.

So good to hear from everyone.

Love the picture of the flying dog!

Good to hear from you Jeri. Excellent walking, glad that Ed is going with you.

Sandy, I am sorry for what happened at the car dealership. How unpleasant. I thought things had changed.

Anne, ah, happy day! Company! How lovely. A happy Jilly and you have your mail as well. 👍🏻👍🏻

Bob, gosh, sorry to hear someone was stabbed at your mall. Eeeck.

Patsy, you plan the best meals. They always sound interesting and very healthy. But also quite a lot of work. I hope you are having an enjoyable evening.

Hummmm, teapot? This one made me smile.

omih1cc7okco.jpeg

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Yes! That’s exactly like her. That is amazing! Katie has an exact twin! That is what she looks like when she plays ball. It is scary when that 65 pounds of enthusiasm runs toward you at top speed.
    Katie doesn’t talk, she yells!
    Sleep tight everyone.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello. A morning teapot. 🤩

This is the Shelley "Rose, Pansy, Forget-Me-Not" pattern according to the poster. Quite pricey apparently.

alndfv8oyquh.jpeg

Goodness, the storm is just in the corner of the state now but there are already early afternoon school closings, library, activities for kids, etc. all closed for this afternoon and evening.

Yipes!

Looks like like of snow shoveling is on the way as well. ❄️❄️

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

• linder4866
    Options
    Here is a bad photo of the puzzle I mentioned yesterday. I did like the foiling a lot!

ts6gynip6twk.jpeg

Lin
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Great morning – freezing at about 7 degrees – but lots of sun! Did the gym etc. and still working on some projects… Had some stupid nasal discomfort since yesterday so happy to take at easy this afternoon maskless LOL. Already prepared veggies for lunch and will likely have 2-3 oz of steak… Loved walking by the dining table and seeing the Valentines Day presents for the grandkids all ready – but reminds me of how much we miss all the sleep overs etc.

7wl8ztzdenrn.jpg

Jackie – Poor George looks a bit cold and ready for some indoor comfort. Nothing like a glowing fire! My sister actually had a nice one going when we stopped by yesterday for a brief visit (and so Jean could have a couple meatballs). As for Annie & The Eurythmics being known in the US… here is a screen print from the music on my phone.

rl4poax6nexz.jpg

Sandy – I feel your pain… despite having spent 1/2 my career dealing with car dealerships and arranging customer financing – I hate the buying process. I am fully aware of all the tactics…. Good guy vs. bad guy; getting buyer focused on “payment” vs. “total costs” the list is endless. It is the one time, I am pretty “short” (but courteous). I think you made the right decision.

Patsy – You’re right about the mall…just this weekend the mayor expressed his concern over its future. They were given some huge tax breaks when it was built and things have certainly changed. I do love Jean’s idea of turning into a shopping / services / apartments operation. Plenty of square footage. Who knows… but definitely brick & mortar stores will not be the same. It amazes me that throughout the city when you’ll notice empty buildings and yet down the street a new building is going up.

Like you I love English expressions. I have relatives / friends that live in the south and out west – ssuch a variety of expressions. It’s actually a fun discovery at times.

Jeri – Walking definitely is a great way to keep busy and healthy during this pandemic. Our immediate area is not as lock-downed as you. Masks, crowd limits, social distancing etc all apply – and more closures in the city (restaurants etc). Knock on wood – with regards to colds, flu or just being under the weather… I have done better in the last 24 months than any time in years! Walking, diet, intermittent fasting and weight loss etc. no doubt have helped during the time of Covid. Love my tracker too… what a great gift for Ed. Extreme cold gives me breathing issues, so daily walks are indoors right now.

Anne – Hope you made the right decision re: pre-bedtime entertainment. I sometimes can’t believe all I don’t find of interest on NetFlix / Amazon Prime (that is free). Today, I might need some book time.

Lin – Yes, the stabbing at the mall was bad… but it has always had some issues. Like any big complex you have to be aware of where you are “hanging out” etc. I know they have recently beefed up security staff. Nice camel teapot!

Bye for now gang! Bob
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Well I started the day in light pants and a shirt and I'm finishing the day in thick fishermans socks, warm pants and a thick fishermans jersey. Talk about "shiver me timbers" weather. Made a " throw everything you've got into a dutch oven" and actually a very tasty, hearty bean stew emerged. Perfect for today.
    I ended up doing a bit of everything last night. Jigsaw, one episode of Trapped, and a book chapter.

Got a question for you shower lovers. I was a soak in the tub person but some time back when I had the sciatica I could barely crawl up and out of the darn thing. The family bought me lots of posh expensive looking shower gel which I've just about used up. So I'm wondering what do you all use in the shower? Brands that is, or do you use good old fashioned soap? My favourite is Pears.

One thing about this lockdown you don't have to buy lipstick anymore. I'm getting the "natural" look well hidden by a mask, lol.
    Little jars of powder, little pots of paint
    Made Annsie happy, and just what she ain't.

Just a thought Bob, but have you considered growing a beard during this period? Serious question. I mean how do men with beards and moustaches cope with a mask over them? My offspring say they aren't about to find out.

My little Bean was born on Valentine's Day. She will be 5 years old and the times just flown by. Hope the next five years slow down.

Anne, busy thawing out.

• linder4866
    Options
    Anne, I have showered for most of my life and have always used shampoo for my hair and just plain bar soap for the rest. I am selective about the soap I use these days. But it works just fine.

Oh my, snow, snow, snow, wind and more. So happy I do not have to go out again this evening. I grabbed my mail as soon as I saw the USPS truck go by. Heavier clothes needed here as well, the wind is blowing into the house.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❄️❄️

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,042 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Late in posting. The funeral mass was Covid safe with masks and social distancing. It is hard crying with a mask on and blowing your nose but I managed. I was happy to be there for the family and they were so grateful I was there. We then went to the chapel at the cemetery for prayers. I Covid hugged the family and got some closure. I will miss Tony so much but as his son said he is not that far away and I can still talk to him.❤️
    Babe did not go nor did the other brother. His brother's daughter and her husband were there and said he fell and hurt his hip last night. I am glad I went.

Riding the bike right now waiting for the snow storm. We are expecting 4 to 8 inches so not sure about sitting tomorrow.

I will be back in the morning. Have a great night.
    Sand
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Ice on every surface this morning so I took my time over my bowl of porridge then attempted to walk with the pooches around 10am. Once on the road we didn’t get more than a few meters before I felt my feet sliding under me so took a detour on to common land where we followed a small stream long enough for George and Betty to have a sniff about.
    Two phone calls when I got home, one from a friend asking for advice because she and her husband plan to build a conservatory and wanted to know about the company that constructed my garden room. The second call was from my 93 year old friend Les to tell me I no longer have to take him to a hospital appointment next month. His memory is a lot better than mine because I don’t remember that conversation when I volunteered but he knew it was the week before Christmas when we talked at his front door so I’m sure he’s right. Blame it on brain numbing lockdown; either that or I’m losing the plot!
    It felt quite mild in the sunshine so I got on with some hedge trimming in the afternoon before the usual cuppa while working on the current jigsaw.

Anne, I tend to use Imperial Leather shower creme that comes in a variety of scents/smells/flavours! It’s gentle as well as lovely and thick so not much required each shower. I adopted George February 14 2014 so we both have good reason to celebrate the date but I’m with you, certainly don’t want the next 7 years flying by so fast!

Bob, of course I should have known that even if Annie Lennox hadn’t found America you would have discovered her and the Eurythmics! A great collection! Beautifully wrapped Valentines gifts but I can imagine a visit with lots of hugs would be a superior option.

Barbie, I’ve a feeling your cold weather is more extreme than mine so would understand not feeling inclined to garden in it. Today we managed about 4c which in the sunshine and no wind was almost balmy but I was still ready to come in once the sun began to set!

I agree with Barbie Sandy, that perhaps fate is steering you away from that car for good reason. Also I’d have imagined in the current economic downturn the dealership would have all sorts of offers to encourage you to buy but whatever, rudeness would ensure me never darkening the door of that place again.

Pretty teapot Lin and big enough for a 2nd round of teas. Interesting jigsaw too although the pieces look tiny? I’ve enjoyed my recent two 500 piece puzzles but am ready to move back to 1000 next time, perhaps this one
    ccpfqet15ntc.jpeg

You did make me laugh Patsy.... Katie being 65 lbs of enthusiasm!

Robbie Burns night tonight but the majority of his poetry and quotes are unfathomable apart from your love is like the sweet red rose, born in June... (I think!) so I won’t bother!! 🤪

Time for my bed so I’ll wish you all a relaxed and warm evening. Anne, maybe get yourself wrapped in an eiderdown!

Nite nite
    Jackie 😴