Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,592 Member
    Now I'm adding some veggie breakfast link sausages and maybe a good spoonful of sauerkraut to my dinner too! MMMMMmmmm......
  • lauriekallis
    @pav8888 I've now changed my settings to "very active" - because trouble was brewing. Made it 9 days they way I was going and there was a revolt in the making. Thank you again.
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Not dinner, but, I made an awesome breakfast this morning!

A two egg omelet seasoned with some pepper and Onion and Herb Mrs. dash, and stuffed with sauteed onion, kalamata olives, feta cheese, spinach and grape tomatoes.

Then a little bit of plain Greek yogurt on the side with some almonds mixed in.
  • lauriekallis
    Not dinner, but, I made an awesome breakfast this morning!

A two egg omelet seasoned with some pepper and Onion and Herb Mrs. dash, and stuffed with sauteed onion, kalamata olives, feta cheese, spinach and grape tomatoes.

Then a little bit of plain Greek yogurt on the side with some almonds mixed in.

That sounds amazing! oh my....breakfast is coming for me soon....
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I had my usual coffee for breakfast and then went back to bed, got up and had another cup!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited April 2021
    I eat eggs in things, but by and large I don't eat very much for breakfast, and eggs are especially perilous for breakfast. I can do scrambled eggs later in the day, but not first thing in the morning. I know it's leftover from having morning sickness while pregnant, never mind that the youngest one just turned 21 this month.

I eat a toasted-till-crispy English muffin with either butter, butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, or butter and jam. Right now this is sugar-free black raspberry jam, which is an amazing thing. I grew up eating homemade black raspberry jam and this tastes just like that.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    So my lunches this week have been one of my favorites. Loaded hashbrowns! I don't eat a real "breakfast", just a piece of fruit or slice of toast, so my lunch has been more traditionally "breakfast" type foods.

Shredded hashbrowns (I use frozen because I am lazy)
    Sliced mushrooms
    Chopped spinach
    2 whole eggs and a splash of egg whites
    Seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, and field garlic (you can use regular garlic or garlic powder, I had just foraged some field garlic this weekend)
    Topped with hot sauce

The best thing about this is that you can really add whatever you want. Any sort of extra vegetable can be tossed in there. I have also done peppers and onions, tomatoes, zucchini, sweet potatoes... the options are endless. You can also add additional proteins. Often I will use chicken breakfast sausage, but I had added leftover chicken and steak in the past as well.

It's pretty well balanced (this weeks version is 28 carbs, 20 protein, 10 fat, 3 fiber, and 285 calories). I just love how flexible it is!
  • lauriekallis
    Athijade wrote: »
    So my lunches this week have been one of my favorites. Loaded hashbrowns! I don't eat a real "breakfast", just a piece of fruit or slice of toast, so my lunch has been more traditionally "breakfast" type foods.

Sliced mushrooms
    Chopped spinach
    Seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, and field garlic (you can use regular garlic or garlic powder, I had just foraged some field garlic this weekend)
    Topped with hot sauce

The best thing about this is that you can really add whatever you want. Any sort of extra vegetable can be tossed in there. I have also done peppers and onions, tomatoes, zucchini, sweet potatoes... the options are endless. You can also add additional proteins. Often I will use chicken breakfast sausage, but I had added leftover chicken and steak in the past as well.

It's pretty well balanced (this weeks version is 28 carbs, 20 protein, 10 fat, 3 fiber, and 285 calories). I just love how flexible it is!

This sounds delicious! I might just try it this afternoon. I haven't made shredded hashbrowns from scratch. Hoping that I just need to shred a raw potato and fry it? We will see if that works! Maybe I'll add a shredded carrot too. Woohoo. My day has found a fun food anchor!
  • conniewilkins56
    Pork chops, fresh broccoli and a HUGE salad!....snack tonight will be cheese stick and a pear!....maybe a cookie!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,545 Member
    edited April 2021

Sliced mushrooms
    Chopped spinach
    Topped with hot sauce

This sounds delicious! I might just try it this afternoon. I haven't made shredded hashbrowns from scratch. Hoping that I just need to shred a raw potato and fry it? We will see if that works! Maybe I'll add a shredded carrot too. Woohoo. My day has found a fun food anchor!

Any recipe.... was thinking of something along the lines of a frittata and I do have baby potatoes... soooooo..... ???!?!?!? 15:00 here... help help help!
  • lauriekallis
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Sliced mushrooms
    Chopped spinach
    Topped with hot sauce

Any recipe.... was thinking of something along the lines of a frittata and I do have baby potatoes... soooooo..... ???!?!?!? 15:00 here... help help help!

Yes - I was thinking this sounded a lot like a frittata. Haven't gotten to it yet - the day hasn't rolled out as planned. Might have to wait for tomorrow. NO potatoes in the house! And had to pick up a bag of dog food - too much weight to carry both that and potatoes home at once. Maybe I'll walk up to the store again now that I'm thinking of those loaded hashbrowns!

• PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    Medium success! A bit too wet at the bottom (the picture is after I flipped the left overs so that their bottom can dry a bit! ;)

I probably over-boiled the potatoes and possibly didn't drain them and fry them (and the veggies) long enough, or at a high enough temperature I guess. In my defence it is only the third time I've used this particular cook top... so there's that!

A bit more saturated fat and calorific than I would have liked.
    Quite tasty though.
    404g out of 1445 or so left, so about 28% left overs! :smiley:
    I had 637g :blush:
    <not accounting for the stuck bits! :lol: >

0tpe5r71wqrh.jpg
    7n852ojcepvr.jpg

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member

Yes - I was thinking this sounded a lot like a frittata. Haven't gotten to it yet - the day hasn't rolled out as planned. Might have to wait for tomorrow. NO potatoes in the house! And had to pick up a bag of dog food - too much weight to carry both that and potatoes home at once. Maybe I'll walk up to the store again now that I'm thinking of those loaded hashbrowns!

I guess it is a lot like a frittata, but not as "formed" (it's early on a Friday, words are hard lol). I literally just fry up the veggies and hashbrowns together in the skillet and once those are to my liking, shove them to the side of the pan, toss in the eggs, scramble, and then mix the whole thing together. So kinda like a hashbrown scramble thingy.

That shall be the new name of it... Hashbrown scramble thingy!

@PAV8888 that does look amazing though!!!!
  • Today we're having patty melts for lunch and burritos with various sides for dinner. I may have a taco salad instead, as that's just a slightly altered proportion of the burrito ingredients anyway.

I also have quichecakes to make in advance of need. Chicken bacon ranch for one, and steak with caramelized onions and mushrooms for the second.
  • lauriekallis

I guess it is a lot like a frittata, but not as "formed" (it's early on a Friday, words are hard lol). I literally just fry up the veggies and hashbrowns together in the skillet and once those are to my liking, shove them to the side of the pan, toss in the eggs, scramble, and then mix the whole thing together. So kinda like a hashbrown scramble thingy.

That shall be the new name of it... Hashbrown scramble thingy!

@PAV8888 that does look amazing though!!!!

I love the name.
    We used to have a family meal called "tortillas with stuff in them" - my grown sons still call them that. Cracks me up. Makes everyone else look at us like we are mentally deficient. :p
  • PAV8888
    For a second i thought that the name was visible in my label and then I spotted the "scramble thingy"! Spelling contention! Mine was an "egg thingie" -- not a "thingy", even though it was directly inspired by the directionless at the time "scramble thingy"! 😇
  • conniewilkins56
    I made a homemade mostly veggie pizza!...it was delicious!....
  • conniewilkins56
    When I was a kid, I would use the crusts off of bread to separate the food on my plate....I still don’t really like for my foods to touch each other!.....a lot of the time I will put my vegetables or a side dish in a little bowl so the juices don’t all run together!...one time my Aunt told me if I didn’t eat my cream of wheat I had to sit at the table until it was gone....I sat there until she finally gave in and let me go play....she asked me why I was so stubborn and I told her the cream of wheat had a piece of egg in it!
  • Tonight was an Indian feast: Tandoori shrimp, chicken tikka, beef samosas, and onion pakoras, along with saag and rice, and naan. I will add that the beef samosas and onion pakora were premade and were in the freezer, just requiring warming up. The rice is also premade and frozen in serving size packets. So not nearly as difficult as you might think to put together.
  • conniewilkins56
    Food today was a breeze....breakfast at Metro Diner, grits and 1/2 pressed egg burrito....skipped lunch....dinner at Applebee’s, a steak, broccoli, and 4 onion rings....snack was string cheese and some almonds!