Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My news is big. Just talked to Joyce. The house goes up for sale next week. They ARE moving up north to buy cheaper and have a nest egg. Some of the Junk is already up north in storage to give H a hobby in his retirement. Now what!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,058 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) I am not sure where this day is going but it is going fast!! Laundry is almost done, the sheets are waiting to be put back on the bed. Joe called this morning to ask if we were going to lunch today and I explained I didn't want to go in a restaurant but we could order food and eat in his garage. I told him I would call him back. I texted his son who explained he really didn't want his dad to go to a restaurant because he and his wife and son will be doing clean up at this dad's this weekend and they haven't been vaccinated. I told him I understood and called Joe back to say we could either order food today when it will be 60 or Monday when it will be in the 70's so he wants Monday. Good thing because for some reason I can't get caught up today. My son and his wife are coming next week and I had to talk to them about food since she has so many allergies and eats gluten free amongst other things. Got that list done and should be prepared for them next Thursday. They will be driving so will be safe and they are both vaccinated.
    Was all set to not put any makeup or do my hair when I remembered I will be on a zoom call for charity and playing bingo. Glad I remembered before the actual call.

I still want to ride my bike so sorry for not addressing anyone individual. Take care and stay safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...what ever happened to spring? It is cloudy and cold. I had this great idea of wiping down all my deck furniture today but it is honestly unpleasant outside. The damp chill in the air plus a nasty little cold breeze. So Katie and I are inside today. John is breaking down boxes (Amazon smile boxes) to take to recycling. Cardboard recycle is located near the smelly dump. Dear John takes on this task since we don’t have rural recycle pickup.

This is pizza Friday. A tradition with us. That requires a glass of red wine. We try to think of it as our date night. We need a better movie, however. We are rewatching “the Americans.” A good series but rather alarming and sad at times.

Katie is due for her monthly big grooming session. This breed of doggies that has poodle background get wadded up little curls that can turn into uncomfortable knots. She is a sweetheart but is very firm about her toenails and her front legs. He does not want them touched when being groomed. So it becomes a constant negotiation when grooming her. It must done! I must be the winner in this struggle.

Oh I would love having Anne as a neighbor. She and her little black puppy would be a joy to see. What fun! I would be boring as a neighbor. Nothing very interesting going on. Maybe a giggle watching this fat old lady trying to wash windows on the deck and wash down her deck furniture while having to intermittently throw a frisbee or a tennis ball for Katie.

Hello everyone! Sending good thoughts to our dear Jackie. Everyone stay safe.
    Patsy☘️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all. It was a great morning starting with gym at 5am…grocery store…mall for some additional walking and a stop at the “Five Below” store for a phone charger cord.

Just finished a late lunch of - Haddock (Baked), 5 oz, Baked Scallops, mushrooms, broccoli, homemade Cole slaw – DELICIOUS!
    ot3h4egsljm9.jpg

Jackie – Love the view from your “sick room” and fresh air always beats a lot of dust. Can only imagine the pain you are experiencing from where they probed the lymph nodule…so tender. With regards to weather, Central New York has always been a bit crazy. I can recall sweating in my Halloween costume and also years I wore a parka underneath. Same for Christmas – can be green or buried in snow. Think you are right on the micro as a gift – although one year as part of her present I threw in a new “Dust Buster.” She had actually been begging for a replacement. We don’t go crazy for birthdays (or even Christmas) like we did when we were young. I think it is simply, if we truly need something we will buy it. The older I get the less I “need” things. For now, waiting to plan a getaway as soon as things open up.

My potassium levels are ok… but I have been reading up on magnesium and how it is widely used to treat leg cramps….so we shall see.

Look forward to the petrol grass trimmer story! Please be good to yourself and don’t try to do too much.

Sandy – In truth, since I do the vast majority of the cooking she wouldn’t get excited about an early micro gift. However, she loves the new toaster she bought this week, because she uses it every morning. She would in fact love anything to do with the yard etc. She is still on Cloud 9 because of all the mulch we bought and will soon be laid out – silly girl.

Glad you hand is improving – always better to be safe than sorry. Like you 80’s is in the forecast for next week. Can’t wait! What snow we received is now gone as of today.

Lin – The treats were wonderful as planned and Jean had a great time with her girlfriends of 40- 50 yrs. As I mentioned to Sandy, she loves yard related items etc., but normally I will shoot for things of a personal nature…stylish Sneakers (Ked’s, Van’s etc.), a new yard flag (she has a big collection) and I normally give a gift card… It’s much easier for her to get maximum “bang for her buck.” Right now we are shopping for granddaughter Brooke who turns 6 in a couple weeks….last year it was a drive-by with horns, balloons etc because of Covid.

Hope all is going well with the cards, old washer and groceries.

I can tell Jean is done watching the only soap she watches downstairs (The Young & The Restless) and I left the kitchen a mess. Told her to please leave it alone for me to clean. It still amazes me that we never fight over who does what… it all just fits.

Bye for now. Bob
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,106 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Very cold and dreary. Traffic to the garage sales has ground to a halt.

Tomorrow, better weather🤞🏻🤞🏻.
  • Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Joyce was talking to Darren when I took Jill for walkies so I nipped over and said "okay Joyce, come clean, are you moving?" And she said yes they were for the above reasons. Although Harry would try the patience of Mother Theresa, I rather like Joyce, so we had a hug and I said I'd miss her, and I will and it will be strange not seeing a line full of their unmentionables blowing in the wind every Saturday. Harry spent the afternoon cutting back the grass which was growing onto the dirt drive and then he laid all these bricks in two straight lines on either side, whacking them with a great big mallet. I've never seen the place look so posh!

It was great fun PATSY, me, Mark, Michael and Mary Jo speculating. Mike and myself proved right whilst the Ms merely thought he was getting rid of his inventory to settle down in his rocking chair and retirement. I can't see that happening if he's been driving up north to put his treasures into a storage locker! Joyce said he's going to make her a dining room table but she'd scoffed at that and said she wasn't waiting around until she's my age to get it.

Life will be awfully dull when they've gone. Nothing like a good moan to cheer one up. Of course we could acquire even more interesting neighbours. For instance just before we all moved in we thought we would be living next door to a little old house with a little old lady. She was carted off because she didn't like an apple tree in our front so she set fire to it. Harry bought and then pulled down the little old house and had half built a two storey house when they ran out of cash so for two years we looked at an inner shell whilst he, Joyce and their then two little girls lived in it. One night we woke up to the sound of fire engines and going outside (I lived in the finished basement then with Mark, Mary Jo and baby Derek upstairs) in the dead of winter we found Harry's pot bellied stove had exploded with sparks drifting very close to our roof. So that part of the burnt wall and hole was covered with tarpaulin along with the unfinished walls. I kid you not, people drove slowly by to stare at the house and the town inspectors were forever knocking on their front door. Soon after the fire Mary Jo, Mark and baby Derek moved on to better things, but I stayed on, upstairs. Very brave of me looking back. Nothing ever happened in the quiet village I left behind in Derbyshire. (Apart from meeting Prince Philip of course!). The day Harry put the outer cladding on was truly a red letter day in the history books!

I've had quite an exciting life all told these past 40 years!
    Anne.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Bob - I used to have awful leg cramps at night so added a magnesium tablet to my vitamin D, and propanolol (for tremor) every morning. Helped. And magnesium is OTC and included in our monthly allowance from our medicare advantage supplier.

Anne - I just wrote a long post for a blog I manage for the members of my high school graduating class. It is about the changes we have seen and the things we've experienced in the 80 years we have been alive. I'm not sure if they were exciting but certainly were memorable.

Jackie - loved your view. Here is what I see out my kitchen window.

0wn3bf8x76pv.jpg

My husband was listening to his police scanner tonight and heard of an accident just down the road from us. We hopped in the car and drove down to be "lookie louies". We really couldn't figure out what had happened but one car and its driver was so far down in the ditch they were invisible. I don't think anyone was seriously injured which, judging from the damage to the automobiles, was a miracle.

I looked back at some posts I made on MFP many years ago. I was celebrating a weight loss of 32 pounds. Sadly, I'm right back where I started. Every time I reach my goal weight, I swear I will never gain the pounds back - and every time, I do.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. The days are pretty much the same as those during the week for us.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Yesterday was St Georges day, Englands national saint. I didn't mention it yesterday because poor St George gets somewhat overshadowed by that Patrick fellow and I didn't think you all would be interested anyway. However I couldn't resist today! So belated greetings at least to JACKIE sitting in merrie England.

Lovely scene from your window Connie. Sort of beats my side view which is slowly improving sans huge lilac.

Did a wee bit of weeding yesterday. Mikes coming over so might get more done whilst he walks the Bean. Happy days are here again.

Time to dig out my gardening jeans and Beaver printed tee shirt!

Happy gardening friends or whatever you are doing on a promised 17 degree day!
    Annsie.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    PATSY a sudden thought. In jest of course but would Damien consider buying next door,!!! Lol. I mean the harbour is within walking distance with the boat clubhouse and lots of Americans docking in the summer. The garage at the back opens up to what was originally meant to be a winter boat house and with four bedrooms and two bathrooms loads of room for you, John and Katie to stretch legs and stay all summer. I'm joking of course but....maybe Damien could hire our Derek as a sort of apprentice because they are in the same business and really Derek is a beginner! John would be so happy correcting all Harry's mistakes as well.
    Dream on Annsie, it ain't going to happen but what a pity we aren't in the same country - separated by just a few miles.
    Anne.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Last picture of my spindly Christmas poinsettia four months later. I don't think she will wither and die now!
    kzzgwdyd3ung.jpg
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A crazy wind blowing again that leaves me feeling I’m being constantly pushed about by a bully. At least the washing I hung out was dry in no time. Still struggling with pain under my arm first thing but paracetamol does help. Neighbour Louise popped round about 11 and suggested we walk the dogs together round the small woodland next to our access.. An ideal way to stretch my legs too as I hate sitting for long and must say I felt human by the time we got back. She’s now gone off for her first haircut since Christmas... me next week!

Well Anne, I think you sort of guessed Harry was on his way but hopefully he’ll sell to a family that doesn’t want to build a millionaire’s mansion next door. Exciting times but I imagine a bit unsettling too. Poor old St George is close to being banned in little old England as some sort of unpleasant patriotic symbol.... on, on you noblest English. Cry Harry....!

Connie, that’s a stunning view from your kitchen window. Do you have to cut all that grass? Yes, I’m across the pond in the county of Cornwall, England. I do feel for you as you discover lost weight coming back on. Working in old weights of stones and pounds I’m not too far from a number of stones I don’t want to pass and so far it has acted as a barrier, except over Christmas and New Year! When I was weighed and measured this past week at the hospital I was shown to be just inside my healthy BMI and the cardiologist said just in was good enough so although I feel I’d like to lose an inch or more on my waistline I’m not fretting. As we know, it’s so much easier to gain than lose but MFP is always a good reminder!
    Your local accident reminded me of a section of road on the way to our city of Plymouth that seems to attract accidents and unfortunately 2 women were killed Tuesday afternoon and the police are still trying to figure out what happened. It’s usually speed on the winding section. The term Lookie Louies made me smile! We call it rubber necking!

Bob, a Dust Buster sounds like something I’m in need of although finally the builders have coated most of the walls with a stabiliser. I’m definitely thinking professional cleaning help once I wave goodbye to them! As ever, your baked haddock looks scrumptious and I can’t wait to get back to more imaginative meals once my sling has been tossed in the ocean (figuratively, or maybe not!).

I keep hearing items rattling round in a gust of wind so better go and investigate because when we got back from walking the dogs I found a huge bag used for transporting large amounts of gravel or sand blowing along the footpath and about to take off. There would be reports of UFO sightings in the night sky!

Have a safe weekend everyone.
    Jackie

• tlp8rb
    Options
    Jackie -- yes, indeed we spend hours mowing every week. The picture I posted shows only about a third of our property. We have a total of three acres - about 0.1102 km. We have two tractors - a larger one with a 60" mower and a smaller one with a 42" mower. This time of year, we mow twice a week. When it gets hot in the summer, we don't have to mow as often.

Here's a picture of the front of the house and the garden that takes up a lot of my time. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to keep this up. It gets harder and harder each year. I had planned to do some weeding today but it is raining (again). We need the rain to make things grow but sadly, the weeds grow right along with everything else.

nruq5b3xpnk6.jpg
  • tlp8rb
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I've just spent some time reading through some of the posts on other threads in this group. The one with pictures of pets brought a tear as the two beautiful Afghan Hounds I shared there have been gone just over five years.

I can't help but wonder where everyone is and how they are doing. I hope they are no longer participating because they've met their goals, and are living active, healthy lives.

I know we lost Marie and Buzz (frequent posters and great women) and that's heartbreaking but not surprising. Both were elderly (like me) and had health issues that complicated things. Death is inevitable as we've discovered in 2020. Covid-19 has robbed several of my non-MFP friends of loved ones. My friend Lin lost her husband to Covid. Another lost both of his parents. Its been a hard year and from the looks of things, it isn't over.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Lovely acreage Connie.

The sun has just popped out and tomorrow we may see warmer temperatures. That would be fine. The lows are still in the 30’s so will sit on my hands again.

Back to a card that I am working on. I am cutting out little pieces for some flowers.

Jackie, take care of yourself as you heal. I hope your weather stops tossing you around.

Anne, it will be a time to bite nails as you see what happens next door. From what you’ve said, a tear down and a new mansion is certainly a distinct possibility.

Stay safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

yajkws4wjbef.jpeg

I love strawberries.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Connie, several other members still stop by from time to time and I see them on Facebook as well. Maybe you do too?

Shirley and her husband sold their boat but like to travel to warmer islands, when possible.

I don’t want to repeat things you already know so I will stop.

Hopefully everyone is thriving.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,058 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Movie day/night, it is cloudy but warm. I still want to ride my bike as we are having pizza before the movie. Did I tell you that my kids are trying to arrange an all-inclusive Jamaican vacation for my 80th birthday next March? It is something I have wanted to do for a long time so hopefully it all falls into place, especially that it will be safe to travel and not worry about Covid. Rob and Lisa will not be able to afford it, nor would Lisa leave the kids for a week, but the other three and their spouses are coming. The place I like is a couples place so I need a roommate since they do not have single rooms. I asked my niece today and she seems very interested so I hope she can go. Something to look forward as long as my health holds out.

Lin, sorry about my name change of Facebook, I felt the other was too long but now I wish I would have kept it. Once you change your name you have to keep it for 60 days. Did you figure out your problem? We are supposed to hit 80 on Monday and Tuesday.

Connie, your property is beautiful and I love your garden in front. Lot of work, but worth it. Jeri and Diane pop in occasionally and I see Ellie on Facebook along with some other like Judy from New Zealand. This small group has been together for quite a while and we enjoy each other's posts. I remember your Afghans,
    they were beautiful. Daisy is still with us but I haven't seen her in over a year since she lives with Babe at his son's house. My son and his wife have a mixed husky who is adorable, wild but adorable. He is really good if the kids leave him alone but he is loved.

Jackie, I am glad you have a pain pill to help with the pain. Each day should get better and better, how long do you have to wear the sling? Are George and Betty confused with the sling on your arm?? I bet they are more comforting to you.

Anne, that poinsettia is amazing considering how it was when you bought it. I like you idea with Patsy but I don't think they will be leaving Portland any time soon. You could get lucky and have a mature couple move in and become best friends. Think positive. Or wait maybe your grandson Derek could buy it, he could take care of you from afar.

Bob, actually I would love a new microwave because mine is very loud compared to the new ones. I already have an office chair on my Amazon gift list, maybe I will add a quiet microwave, thanks for the suggestion. My husband and I never bought gifts for each other as like you, we bought what we wanted when we needed it. I do give cards though, I am a big card giver like Lin.

Patsy, when I think of grooming Daisy I have to admire your skills. It was hard enough just brushing her let along grooming her. Thus she went to the groomer every two weeks to keep from getting matted. I don't know if they still do that I think they cut her really short so they didn't have to.

Well, I better get moving and ride that bike. Have a good day and stay safe.

Sandy
    One day at a Time
  • Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Harry spent the morning spreading pebbles over his weedy dirt drive. Mike came over and whilst he entertained the Bean I did a bit of gardening. 2 paper gardening bags full to the top! Got to stay smart now we have a house emerging like the sleeping beauty next door.

Both Mike and myself think it will be torn down and a great big mansion built overshadowing my little place on either side. I wouldn't want Derek buying it even if he could afford to SANDY. Who knows what's lurking in them thar walls! I was joking with Patsy of course, but seriously would love having her live next door. We could splash paint together and I could rescue all her spiders! It's now a pricey neighbourhood I live in these days and mainly for the land hence we think it will be torn down.
    Who knows what will happen but you can be sure I will be boring you all in the near future.

Maria is finally going to get vaccinated on Monday after reading the horrifying news from India.
    Did too much, I feel a nap coming on!
    ZZZZzzzzzz
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello and a very wet and cold dark day here. However, it is Saturday and I still love to celebrate weekends just like we used to when we were still working. Yea for the weekend. I confess to diving into Amazon etc. and going on a small shopping trip via internet. I actually love internet shopping better than in the old days, trudging around malls etc. bargains are great but finding exactly what I want is even better! Agree?

All you gardeners would be appalled at my flower beds etc these days. I fear we have lost interest and energy to keep them up. I do love pretty flower beds. I keep hunting for a lawn care service to handle this. We also have about three acres of old growth forest. Abundant wildlife make it their home. We love that! We even have the occasional small elk herd that stomps through our yard and neighbors veggie garden. They are like gangsters. Nothing scares them, they wade through fences and tear up flowers by the roots. But they are magnificent animals. We still kind of like them.

Anne: believe me when I say, your plan sounds perfect. I would love living right next door. Actually Damon is multi-cultural. He loves Latin culture. He speaks rudimentary French, and conversational Spanish and Italian. Not sure how that happened. I barely speak English! He would enjoy living in a large cosmopolitan city like Toronto. He isn’t as thrilled with Portland because recent political unrest has destroyed much of the PNW charm. Downtown looks like a war zone.

Jackie: I am impressed that you can carry on with your activities with arm in a sling. I know I would have dropped something heavy and broken dishes, cups and made things so much worse. I would be like a wounded bird failing about with a broken wing. I know life is exhausting while favoring your arm. I hope you can feel comfortable finding and accepting help.

Connie: your grounds are a lovely park. If you can keep up with the work, it is so satisfying and healthy. Our grounds used to be quite lovely. They are wild now and we keep trying to manage things. We are a bit older than you and we can’t seem to keep everything up. Thus.....John and I practice that art of soft focus. We don’t let our eyes focus sharply on things we can’t attend to at the moment. It is a method that keeps me from from going berserk.

Lin: the strawberry teapot is a new favorite. I seem to be drawn to funny and cute. Elegant and refined teapots take my breath away. I seem to envision myself tripping and breaking those lovely pieces.

Sandy: enjoy the movie night with the family. We are hunting down a movie for tonight as well. Knowing John it will involve car chases and explosions. Arrrrrrgh! Oh well! Saw the academy award nominations and most are not my cup of tea. We are all going to be watching kid movies.

Shrimp paella tonight with tossed salad. Spicy with a bit of KICK!
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Toronto like all big cities has its problems but it also has its charms PATSY. Trips to the offshore islands, trips to the art gallery housing the group of seven paintings, the theatre and opera, Hyde park with its cherry blossom trees, the science centre to name a few, but most of all I like living out here in our downtown. Many the day I would walk to the harbour, ice cream dripping to watch the yachts returning home early evening. It's expanded and grown our town since I arrived but downtown remains the same with its old houses which I once photographed.

Meanwhile uphill here Harry's house is beginning to look remarkably posh apart from a window opposite me with peeling paint. He and Joyce worked all afternoon shovelling the pebbles onto the drive from the back of their truck. I think it will have cost them quite a bit to spruce things up. This all started when Joyce retired on April 1st and got Harry moving. Despite all this activity I still think privately it will be torn down by developers.

The batteries went in my heat control unit so Mike is popping over to replace with two of his own. It was HOT yesterday but it's cooled down today and I'd like the heat to come on, early morning, a little longer.

Hope everyone is well and JACKIES arm is feeling less painful.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    After another sleepless night I decided first thing to remove the pressure bandage on my arm and oh, the relief! My arm looked like one of those strange crinkly dogs but thank goodness, I was able to gently rub life back into places it belonged. Don’t worry, the notes brought home from the hospital suggested I keep that bandage on only as long as I could stand it so they knew how it drives you mad in the end feeling a million spiders crawling underneath. That done I’ve been able to enjoy a splash of a wash before walking the pooches with neighbour Louise in our local woodland.

Patsy, no real chance of dropping dishes because as soon as a meal or drink was consumed they piled up in the kitchen sink until this morning when I couldn’t stand to look at them even one more minute. All washed up! I’m rudely independent so struggle to ask for help even from my lovely neighbours but they have worked this out over the years so don’t ask, just do what’s needed! Debbie brought me a bunch of tulips along with a couple of items I’d asked her to pick up at the local store and did make me laugh when I said she didn’t have to and her response was she’d bought a bunch for her partner and they were buy one, get one free!!

A beautiful garden Connie and I agree with Patsy, it is a healthy pastime so long as you can manage. Mine is more a cottage garden so the weeds that love our climate can hide away until I’m ready to be mercenary. There’s that saying about a weed being a plant in the wrong place so that’s my philosophy. Oh yes, I remember your beautiful Afghans and understand your tears. What a story about your rescue of Sadie. She’s adorable and definitely a smiler so of course you were never going to give her up after fostering!

Wow Anne, your poinsettia has recovered in an amazing way. My poor thing didn’t last 5 minutes! Unless a new buyer wants the plot next door for development I think Harry’s attempts to hide weeds and rough areas won’t work for long. I wonder if that’s how he works as a builder. 🤭

Sandy, little information was given about the sling so I only wear it now if walking or I feel discomfort under my arm. Poor George is terribly stressed about the destruction of the cottage indoors and general upheaval so my operation was another thing to worry him as he reads my mind so well. These 3 days without the builders and me being home all day has settled him a bit and both get tons of TLC so we’ll get there. Jamaica for a holiday next year is a brilliant idea and definitely something to look forward to.... rum and sunshine! What more could you wish for on a special birthday? 😆

I could eat that teapot Lin, it’s wonderful!

I’m going to my greenhouse where I can stay out of the blustery wind and pot on desperate seedlings. Aubergines, sweet red peppers and red Russian kale requiring attention. The sun continues to shine so I must also fill a few containers dotted round the garden for the birds.

Have a safe Sunday.
    Jackie