Downsizers - June 2021 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Question for Apple Watch users:

How does it interface with MFP? Does it give you a calorie adjustment every day? My Fitbit is not giving me reminders to move, no disco ball when I hit my steps, etc anymore. I have reset it and a few other things. Time for something new.

Yes, once you allow MFP to read data from the Apple Watch it will automatically give you a calorie adjustment for exercise.
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    363days wrote: »
    @888angie888 love your intro and goals
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ugh drought in CA is serious - another cloudy, heavy day here and I'm meditating on sending rain your way
    @lindamtuck2018 My body is the same!!! I gained 1.4 yesterday and I'm thinking it has to be the sodium and eating late - hope that's what it is.
    @Z10Rtza I hope the accupuncture helps! I just started this and some Chinese herbs, for the same. I've done it now for about 2 weeks and I know it will take a while but meanwhile I feel better. Let us know if it helps.
    @TheresaM787 Glad you had a rant. You are in a tough situation, having to resist yummy things in the house, and having your husband bring them in. There could be a part of him that wants the "old you" back again. Way to go setting a great example for your kids.
    rwood566 Wow, resisted cherry crisp! Good job.

Thank you so much. I think you’re right. The hosts on We Only Look Thin said that in the early days, they would inadvertently sabotage one another to keep from feeling guilty about what they themselves were eating.
  • TheresaM787
    Options
    I gained 1.4 yesterday! This crazy body - it might be sodium and I ate right before bed. I started out healthy but took a bad turn, still staying within my calories, though. Sometimes I think it is not how much I eat, but what I eat. I also have a lot of stress, my mom broke her hip and yesterday was my first day to not be at the hospital for 10 days. She has been moved to a rehab facility and we hope she can go home, eventually. It will be a long haul for her. One thing they kept mentioning is "she's so overweight". This has motivated me to do better, for sure. Yoga yesterday and took the dogs on a walk. I'm getting ready to do a small yoga session and then kettlebell with a video.

One of the lessons I learned from my free trial on Noom was “that weight naturally ebbs and flows”. They kept repeating that same message again and again. Yet when my weight would climb, I would message the coach and expressed my frustration. Guess what she would reply? The old ebbs and flows. Fast forward some time, and the weight did come off. Yours will too, stay on your path, you can do this!
    I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she has a smooth and speedy recovery. Any motivation we can find, in my book, it’s good motivation. Great job doing yoga yesterday and taking the dogs on a walk!
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    Question for IF’ers. What is the minimum amount of time that you fast? I am thinking of starting with 12 hours and move it up from there. My biggest hurdle is the need for coffee with real half and half in the morning.

I am doing 16:8 fast from 8pm until 12pm....1st meal is at noon and I stop eating at 8pm or sooner

This is almost identical to what I do too.
  • Tazaria87
    Tazaria87 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Steps 5/30 9097
    5/31 3710
    6/1 9296

Saturday and Sunday my son was sick with a migraine so that was no fun. They run on both sides of the family but he's awfully young to be having problems already. Monday he was feeling better so we went to my parents house for the holiday. I used Monday as my rest day since we weren't home.
    Yesterday my husband went and picked up his new desk we ordered so we spent the evening putting that together. It's a motorized sit/stand desk so it was heavy and a pain in the butt to assemble haha. After it was working, I walked in place while he made sure all the computer parts were going to turn back on. We had to unplug everything to move it. No problems there thank goodness.
    Today is going by so fast it seems like. I'm getting ready to head out and mow the lawn now!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,940 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Poobah1972
    If you are going to have a home gym you need to have it to suit you. Think of all the money you are saving by not paying for two gym memberships. Great walk and look at that burn.

@lmf1012
    Thanks for explaining that.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Great walking! It was a little humid here so lots of sweating for me too.

Thanks Linda... Glad your gym is open .... We will be swimming when Alyssa is out of school(6/10 is the last day of school (I can't believe my little girl will be a Junior in High School come August)
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @azkunk I kind of worked up to it. I started at 16:8 before doing 18:6. I'm keto, which lends itself to IF and even extended fasts though. I don't stress it too much. If I'm really hungry, I eat. I figure pairing IF, a caloric deficit and carb restriction is aking a lot so of my body so I tend to listen to it. That means I usually do IF for 2-3 months then eat throughout the day for a few weeks, rinse, repeat.

Hope that helps
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Aqualang26 wrote: »
    @azkunk I kind of worked up to it. I started at 16:8 before doing 18:6. I'm keto, which lends itself to IF and even extended fasts though. I don't stress it too much. If I'm really hungry, I eat. I figure pairing IF, a caloric deficit and carb restriction is aking a lot so of my body so I tend to listen to it. That means I usually do IF for 2-3 months then eat throughout the day for a few weeks, rinse, repeat.

Hope that helps

I also am Keto and do IF... :)
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Just read 88 posts. Please forgive me for not replying to all. Love reading about your successes and how you overcome the obstacles in your way.
    I am still having skin grafts with one scheduled for tomorrow. Have been eating above calories for the last two weeks. For two reasons really. 1) school is out and my sister and brother-in-law have been over to eat with us several times plus family Sunday dinners and 2) am trying to increase calories since was having great difficulty losing weight at predicted rate after 14 months of near continuous deficit eating. I am thinking that I will break deficit eating into 6-8 week periods alternating with maintenance eating to try to limit metabolic adaptation any further.

@TheresaM787 I went from dieting and exercising to lessen my risk of dying from Covid to trying to age better and live an independent functional life. Maybe you should be asking your husband what his plans for the future entail. His diabetic complications will cumulatively increase over time. Will you and the kids be able to take care of him or will his health require skilled care or a home? Will you be able to afford those options? His diabetes has substantially increased the risk of your children developing diabetes. Are they learning good lifestyle habits that will help them manage this disease? I know from which I speak. Diabetes is rampant on both sides of my family. My father developed kidney disease from diabetes but refused dialysis and slowly suffocated to death in 6 months. He was bedridden and disoriented in the end and it was horrible to watch it unfold and not be able to do anything. But those were his decisions. I hope your husband chooses better memories for you and your children.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @Beautyofdreams... I noticed that you are exercising using a stationary bike.... I can convert those into steps if you would like to be on our step challenge again ...Let me know if that is something you are interested in :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Steps- 10,000 ✅
    Seltzer- 8 cups❌
    Tracked everything ate and drank✅
    Under calorie budget✅

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Oooooohhhhh are you ready for this 😀 24,000 steps!!!!! Me. 24,000! I still can’t believe it. I was able to walk for four miles this morning. Later in the day, hubby went for a 3/4 mile walk with me. After dinner. I chatted with my sister on the phone. instead of lounging on the couch (too many people are here- family staycation), I decided to walk around the block. Well, we wound up chatting for two hours. Slowly walked the entire time. When we hung up, I looked at the time and saw my updated step count. Still can’t believe it! Me!

Amazing job Theresa....Very proud of you ....You had 24,000 on 5/30 but that was a combination of your bike and walking ...I have some catching up to do ....I am at 19890 right now but it is only 7:30pm :)
  • amymartin555
    amymartin555 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Another day staying under calorie goal and getting my exercise in. I got my 1000 jumps along with my 30 minutes of my smart hoop. I am hoping that helps my core get stronger. I also got in 32,060 steps so far. I am doing so much better than a month ago when I was getting less 5,000 a day. I also tried something new for me today. Spaghetti squash. Not my favorite but it is ok. Keep up the good work everyone!!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Another day staying under calorie goal and getting my exercise in. I got my 1000 jumps along with my 30 minutes of my smart hoop. I am hoping that helps my core get stronger. I also got in 32,060 steps so far. I am doing so much better than a month ago when I was getting less 5,000 a day. I also tried something new for me today. Spaghetti squash. Not my favorite but it is ok. Keep up the good work everyone!!

I added your jump rope along with your steps and got 37,400....I make quite a few dishes using spaghetti squash like Keto Carbonara, Alfredo ......Buffalo chicken Pad Thai etc .... quite yummy :)
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @amymartin555 - I Iike spaghetti squash made like bruschetta ... roast it with EVOO, salt, pepper and garlic; then toss in the bruschetta fixings (tomatoes, garlic, basil, EVOO) which I mix up while the squash is baking; add protein of choice ... turkey meatballs, chicken, shrimp. Mmmmmm I think I need to pick up a spaghetti squash. I don’t like it if I try fool myself into prentending that it is actually spaghetti.

@TheresaM787 - amazing steps 🤩 That quote about sabotage in order to not feel guilty about yourself ... I think that just might describe my hubby too

@Beautyofdreams - good luck with your procedure tomorrow, wishing you a speedy recovery

@Aqualang26 - that’s my plan to extend the fasting period slowly over a couple of weeks

@Tazaria87 - poor baby, migraines are not fun. Glad your son is feeling better

@lindamtuck2018 - I am excited for you that your gym is opening; I love my Apple Watch but have the MFP adjustment turned off because MFP was recalculating my macro goals and it was messing me up but that would be true for any tracker or manual exercise

@Megan_smartiepants1970 - 6.19 miles ... you are indeed back! I am so happy to see you feeling better. How are the feet feeling after such a long rest period?

@Poobah1972 - we had the powerblock set and I did not like it either. The box thing just does not feel natural. You need the right equipment that is right for you, don’t think twice about making this type of investment in your health and well-being

• Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @888angie888 love your intro and goals
    @Z10Rtza I hope the accupuncture helps! I just started this and some Chinese herbs, for the same. I've done it now for about 2 weeks and I know it will take a while but meanwhile I feel better. Let us know if it helps.
    Uhh so you are already further! What kind of herbs?

• Z10Rtza
    Options
    @363days and @Z10Rtza I am really interested to hear what you think about the acupuncture. I'd like to try it sometime.

So far just hoping it works. My body for some reason usually works better with this kind of things. Whenever I have been better it has been through osteopathy, iridiology...
  • Z10Rtza
    Options
    Good morning beautiful people!
    My psychologist gave me a difficult task. I can only weight myself once a week. Damn that is difficult! I was used to step on the scale several times per day. And now I need to wait an entire week. Its crazy
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 - 6.19 miles ... you are indeed back! I am so happy to see you feeling better. How are the feet feeling after such a long rest period?

@azkunk -the only thing that hurts are my big toe nails and my calves ...I think I have ingrown nails or something I will ask my podiatrist on the 17th ...It feels great being almost pain free :)

Also I can convert your rowing into steps if you would like to be back on the step challenge ...All I would need to know is for how long(minutes) and if it is light, moderate or vigorous ....Let me know if you are interested :)
This discussion has been closed.