Introduce Yourself

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    I so agree @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 - very good experience to share. Another thing I've noticed for myself is that when I out of the blue break down and have those extra treats then I miss out on the build up that comes with planning them. When things are working by plan - I will occasionally indulge in high calorie items - but I think about which treat I really want - and make sure all those calories are worth it.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    I am back. I lost 60 pounds in 2019 and have put at least 40 back on. Very depressing. I was just starting to feel good. My knee weren't hurting as much and I could do a lot more things easily. I have done this so many times before. I'm definitely missing an important part of the puzzle to keeping it off. But I'm back here trying again. I want to loose about 85 pounds. I can use all the support I can get and will certainly try to help anyone else that I can. Sweets are my downfall. I am trying to stay away from them as much as I can since once I start eating them they tend to trigger a binge. At 71 the weight definitely comes off much harder so it is easier to get discouraged. I'm hoping this group can help me keep motivated and on track. NovusDies, I like your "personalities" and the fact that we are always growing and learning. There is no perfection. No matter where we are we can always be better.
  • Timberlan127
    Hi Everyone,
    I am back. I lost 60 pounds in 2019 and have put at least 40 back on. Very depressing. I was just starting to feel good. My knee weren't hurting as much and I could do a lot more things easily. I have done this so many times before. I'm definitely missing an important part of the puzzle to keeping it off. But I'm back here trying again. I want to loose about 85 pounds. I can use all the support I can get and will certainly try to help anyone else that I can. Sweets are my downfall. I am trying to stay away from them as much as I can since once I start eating them they tend to trigger a binge. At 71 the weight definitely comes off much harder so it is easier to get discouraged. I'm hoping this group can help me keep motivated and on track. NovusDies, I like your "personalities" and the fact that we are always growing and learning. There is no perfection. No matter where we are we can always be better.

Welcome to Larger Losers!...you have found the right group to be in to lose weight and get to a healthy weight....I am also a binge eater and I love sweets....I am slowly learning that an occasional sweet treat does not have to start off an avalanche of eating everything in sight!...I recently celebrated being on MFP for two years....in that time I have lost 109.0 lbs.....every day isn’t perfect but the good days add up and before you know it, the pounds start coming off....I did not exercise the entire first year I was eating a healthy amount of food...I have still averaged losing over 1 pound a week.....

P.s.....I will be 70 in July!....

There are lots of great people here and they are all willing to help you or answer your questions....I hope you have the same success I and many others have had!

Thank you, Connie, for the inspiration. You have done incredibly well to lose 109 pounds in two years. It's nice to know that even binge eaters can be successful in their later years. I really want this to work this time as a forever life style. I just turned 71 in May. I don't want to be carrying all this extra weight around on these tired joins any more. MFP is great and I need to be more involved in these groups this time to keep my motivation high.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    Two years later: : : today I vacuumed and mopped our floors....I took the garbage out, unloaded the dishwasher, folded clothes and prepared lunch and dinner, cleaned the appliances and walked to the mailbox 700 steps down the street!...WAIT!....then I went swimming and water jogged for 20 minutes, water aerobics for 30 minutes and then swam laps for 30 more minutes!....yes, I am tired but I feel so good and so alive!...

You make me happy Connie! And you just "convinced" me to go out and listen to my audiobook instead of continuing to veg at the computer! :blush:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Glad to help you....I used to get less than 2000 steps a day and now a normal day is about 4500... I can’t walk long distances without a break...I think it is my hips but I am not going to get those replaced unless absolutely necessary!...it’s wonderful you get 10,000 steps....that is great exercise!...I didn’t have a very healthy eating plan Saturday but I got back on track again yesterday and went swimming, too....I try to swim five days a week for about 90 minutes.....I have a 6 month check up the end of this month...my doctor gets as excited as I do about my weight going down...I hope you have a great week!
  • Timberlan127
    Glad to help you....I used to get less than 2000 steps a day and now a normal day is about 4500... I can’t walk long distances without a break...I think it is my hips but I am not going to get those replaced unless absolutely necessary!...it’s wonderful you get 10,000 steps....that is great exercise!...I didn’t have a very healthy eating plan Saturday but I got back on track again yesterday and went swimming, too....I try to swim five days a week for about 90 minutes.....I have a 6 month check up the end of this month...my doctor gets as excited as I do about my weight going down...I hope you have a great week!

To have come as far as you have is incredible. I would love to be able to use a pool but we don't have any pools close enough to make a habit of it. You are very committed to do 5 days a week but they say it is one of the best exercises because it doesn't stress your joints. I have always been a walker and despite the knee problems I have no trouble walking although I am much slower than I used to be. But better to be able to do it slowly than not at all. I have had a very successful first week. I lost 6.6 pounds. I know much of that is water weight but it was nice to see the scale go down anyway. Thank you for helping me to get started again. I kept telling myself if Connie can do it with all the obstacles she has faced then I can certainly get back with it. It must be so nice to go in for a check up knowing that you weigh less than you did last time. I know what you are saying about hips. Mine give a trouble every now and then. That's why I've got to get this weight off. My joints are all warning me that I'll have lots of issues in the future if I don't. I did just buy some resistance bands and I'm going to look into a strength training exercise video. I have been doing around 1200 to 1400 calories. What kind of calorie goals do you have? Have a great day!! Wishing everyone here a successful week.
  • conniewilkins56
    My calories are at 1380 a day for a 1.5 lb loss a week but I only eat back 25% to 33% of my exercise calories....most days that gives me about 1500 calories to eat and that is usually enough....I think MFP gives me too much credit for my exercises so I don’t eat them all back....today I swam and did water aerobics,water jogged, shopped an hour and some household chores and MFP says I used over 1100 calories in exercise...that seems really high and if I ate 2400 calories I would not lose any weight!...

There is a lot of great information in this group if you read through older posts....

Your loss this week was terrific....who cares if some of it was water.....at least it’s gone!....keep up the great work!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    It's good to see all the new people here! I'm 49 and have about 80 more pounds to lose; I've already lost 50, and discovered I can do it while eating what I want and I don't have to do the exercises I don't want to do.
  • Timberlan127
    My calories are at 1380 a day for a 1.5 lb loss a week but I only eat back 25% to 33% of my exercise calories....most days that gives me about 1500 calories to eat and that is usually enough....I think MFP gives me too much credit for my exercises so I don’t eat them all back....today I swam and did water aerobics,water jogged, shopped an hour and some household chores and MFP says I used over 1100 calories in exercise...that seems really high and if I ate 2400 calories I would not lose any weight!...

There is a lot of great information in this group if you read through older posts....

Your loss this week was terrific....who cares if some of it was water.....at least it’s gone!....keep up the great work!

Wow!! You had a busy day. Five days a week I do 30 minutes on the stationary bike and about 7 minutes right now on the elliptical. Then I do 10,000 steps every day. I have heard so many good things about water aerobics. I wish there was some place close that I could go for that. But I agree with you, I never count all the exercise calories. Those are the ones that help us to lose the pounds. I will go back and read some of the old posts as soon as I can. I need all the help I can get. I am determined to have another successful week.

Have a great day, Connie.
  • Timberlan127
    I hope everyone's week is going well. I am trying to get into some strength training this time. It's the one thing I have neglected in the past. So today I am determined to find a good resistance training video. I just bought all the equipment I will need. I'm hoping the strength training will help me get stronger and build more muscle.

Have a great day !
  • conniewilkins56
    Try the Richard Simmons , Dancing to the Oldies…..I loathe that little man….he kicks my butt!….his videos are free on U Tube…..I love water aerobics but my toes are sore today!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Try the Richard Simmons , Dancing to the Oldies…..I loathe that little man….he kicks my butt!….his videos are free on U Tube…..I love water aerobics but my toes are sore today!

I might just check out this loathesome little man! I've been doing easy yoga for children youtube videos with my grandson (part of his home schooling) and that has been a challenge! Does Richard Simmons have any videos for infants? Crawling to the Oldies might be my speed :D
  • conniewilkins56
    Some of the videos are really hard!
  • Timberlan127
    I've done some of Richard Simmons exercise videos. They are hard and keep you moving. I have no coordination so I like Leslie Samsone walking videos. I haven't done them in a while so that is something to think about getting back into. I don't think I could jog in place for 20 minutes any more. I can see where that would give you sore toes, Connie. I am trying to do a little strength training each day to build some muscle. I've been looking for a good video for that. I'd like to do 10 to 15 minutes a day. I have just purchased some resistance bands. I'm hoping the strength training will help the weight loss along.