Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The Sabra chocolate hummus is seriously too good!…I like it right out of the container but I got more bang for my buck stretching it out with yogurt and berries!

Our dog, Willow is currently obsessed with a pesky squirrel that lives in a tree in our back yard….it chatters at Willow and runs back and forth across our screen room….drives the dog nuts…today the squirrel brought 4 friends with him and created complete chaos with Willow barking and lunging in 5 different directions at once….the storm must have weakened a tree limb because this morning one squirrel was sitting on the branch when it fell off the tree with the squirrel on it!…another one was playing in the bird bath!….
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    a pesky squirrel that lives in a tree in our back yard….it chatters at Willow and runs back and forth across our screen room….drives the dog nuts…today the squirrel brought 4 friends with him and created complete chaos with Willow barking and lunging in 5 different directions at once….the storm must have weakened a tree limb because this morning one squirrel was sitting on the branch when it fell off the tree with the squirrel on it!…another one was playing in the bird bath!….

The most obnoxious squirrels in the whole world (or their close relatives) live in Central Park in Burnaby, BC. I visited there with poor Skylar once. Ms Squirrel was sitting in the middle of the path right next to the "dogs on leash" sign with her cell phone pre-set to dial the City of Burnaby animal control cop-lady so she could lodge her complaint about them annoying dogs! She couldn't even be bothered to move while poor Skylar almost pulled my shoulder out of its socket! When eventually she deigned to make a bit of way so we could continue down the path, she "climbed" about a food up a tree and kept staring at us while chittering away with Skylar dangling off the end of the leash less than 2 feet away!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I have pulled pork in the fridge so I can have a good meal when I get back from the store. I tell you, a number of times I've stood there in the checkout line, hungry, and said to myself, "Yes, you're legitimately hungry, but wouldn't you rather have a nice delicious pulled pork sandwich with barbecue sauce rather than that candy bar?" and I would always rather have the real food, and I remind myself home is about three blocks from the grocery store, and I make it through without incident.

I should maybe eat more for breakfast on shopping day.

Tonight I'm not sure. I precooked the pork bits in batter, and they will rewarm in a low oven just beautifully, but it is within the realm of possibility (since the humidity is already 63% at 7 am) that that will be something that strikes me as being too heavy and ugh and I will want to have something light like tacos instead. Which is okay because they are frozen, and can wait until I'm ready for them.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's lunch was so good. We split an order of dumplings (chicken, watercress and shiitake), and I splurged on a frozen ginger lemonade. I had the rainbow salad, which is green papaya, mango, red cabbage, roasted peanuts, honey glazed walnuts, mint, and whatever the dressing is that involved some fish sauce. I forgot how big it was. I also ordered the lemon grilled chicken, which for how simple it was, was shockingly good. I brought most of the chicken home with me, and the leftover dumplings too. Husband and I shared the leftovers for supper.

Today is our last day before vacation, and neither of us particularly want to cook or do dishes, so food today is tbd. I haven't even been able to figure out my breakfast yet.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,717 Member
    Options
    @eliezalot That sounds like a pretty amazing lunch! I can feel the vacation anticipation just reading your post - living vicariously perhaps?! :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ... "Yes, you're legitimately hungry, but wouldn't you rather have a nice delicious pulled pork sandwich with barbecue sauce rather than ...

Exactly!!!!

That is where I found myself yesterday, driving around in a borrowed car (usually I walk) passing so many fast food outlets that I normally don't have access too, including my favourite veggie burger...and tummy rumbling hungry!...but I kept fantasizing about my planned dinner and managed to get through. Dinner was late, but I was so happy that I waited. And I was so happy this morning when I saw the scale number drop rather than go up because of a high sodium meal.

Yesterday, I really really saw the benefit of having dinner planned. It was a tool to fight off that "I'm hungry now - immediate gratification required" state of mind I hit.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and steak fajitas for me. Little higher in calories but I hadn’t eaten much today so it fit right in. I am full and happy.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I made an eggplant pizza casserole and it was really good but I will tweak it a little more next time!…..needed a few more spices and I needed to cut eggplant thinner but it was still good and made a big amount!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Confirming excellent food-ish stir-fryish thingy!

160g cooked steamed rice (from one of the frozen Indian dinners) and 500g frozen riced cauliflower, 360g yellow and red pepper, 114g onions, 5g freeze dried garlic, 7g canola oil, 5g veggie knorr, 3g powdered mustard, 2-3g herb-like-thingies, 1 (extra) large egg, 11g sriracha.

Shared between two it's under 350 Cal each. Pair with a heat and serve pouch of meat product (200-250 Cal), or nice quantity of 0% Greek yogurt! Very low saturated fat with an easy sub of the large egg for egg whites.

Will make again!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Pav - egg is a great idea! I forgot and I do usually put egg in fried rice. This sounds like my Sunday night supper.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Egg does not belong in any kind of rice!…
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    It does! If you do it right you don't even really know its there - but you get that boost of protein! :D
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Grandson is here today so food is all weird! Lots of fruit and yogurt for breakfast - chip truck for lunch - watermelon in the afternoon and now lentil soup, scrambled eggs and some grape tomatoes and baby cucumbers for supper I think? lol at least his choices are relatively healthy - only healthy fries at the chip truck :)
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Chicken and rice casserole with mixed vegetables all in a creamy sauce!….no eggs lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Better with an egg and no cream 😜
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    It has no egg and no cream….has gravy in it….60 calories in 1/2 c. Plus some chicken broth!….I am loving Mahatma Jasmine rice currently!….

3/4 c. Veggies
    3 oz. chicken
    1/2 c. Chicken gravy
    1 c. Cooked rice
    Broth and seasonings plus some cooked onions and celery!

Delicious!
  • lauriekallis
    edited July 2021
    Options
    ….no eggs lol

But that chicken came from an egg...so kinda like having an egg. >:) A grown up egg!

• PAV8888
    Options
    My "egg" was a 140g Yellowfin tuna steak. With fingerling potatoes, initially boiled and then finished on the same ridged grilling pan as the tuna.

My spray canola ran out... bounce picker upper on the scale. Poor olive oil on bounce. Rare. Wipe pan with bounce. Weigh negative bounce. {Use soapy sponge on scale. Wipe with more bounce}. 2-3g of oil in the pan! 😜

And a nice lettuce, cucumber, onion, yellow pepper, tomato, oregano, dry garden mint, warm potatoes, raspberry vinegar and light zesty Italian dressing salad
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That salad sounds pretty compelling! I may have followed the bouncing scale - or not - but I think I got it ??? B)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Today we had patty melts for lunch and they had beef, bean, and cheese enchiladas for dinner, while I ate a piece of leftover steak on a bun. I like that kind of thing, and I don't like enchiladas.

Tomorrow is chicken patties for lunch and lamb gyros with all the fixin's for dinner. I think I need to stop at the store and get feta cheese though.