Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    edited August 2021
    amart4224 wrote: »
    PAV my daily calorie allowance is around 1300... Half a tub of yogurt would be too much to blow on just a snack!

I admit that I don't view them as snacks... more like small meals/meal substitutes for the time slot in question.

Not the greek yogurt which comes up to almost a full meal's calories at close to 500 Cal with mix ins... but the old yoplait 0% was a gift at well under 300 Cal including mix ins. Even in your case it would be less than 25% of a day :wink:

Not so sure now that they're moving from 35Cal per 100g to 50 Cal per 100g which will make the new ones closer to 325, so almost 375/400 Cal with mix ins! On the "plus" side, they won't be using gelatin by the looks of it... then again here I am experimenting with ADDING gelatin! :neutral:

woh56sp56h8s.png
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,733 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think I'd rather have 100g of 5% Fage Greek yoghurt for 93 calories...creamy, filling and nutritious! Expecially when mixed with 140g Crunchy Bran and 130g berries - under 300 calories for a huge satisfying bowlful of fibrous proteiny yumminess.

Last week I bought the 0% Fage by mistake, and while the taste was the same, the sweet-spot creaminess was lacking.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2021
    @PAV8888 I'm listening when I heard Mousse, used have Whips yogurt (non Greek) that I enjoyed, but nutrition was not.

I see few recipes for whole box prepared normal with hot water then ice cubes in blender then add in 1C Greek yogurt blend then refrig to set. I will give go this wkend & report back. May be able to add baking cocoa with various fruity hellos.

I add baking cocoa to my protein shakes to amp up chocolate & dials back some of sweetness, plus fiber & antioxidants.
  • PAV8888
    I think I'd rather have 100g of 5% Fage Greek.... the 0% Fage by mistake, and while the taste was the same, the sweet-spot creaminess was lacking.

And that's the beauty of it my wonderful free falling Garfield Bella: I've gone to the more quantity for the buck section... 'cause my hamsters are firmly in the "more more more" camp and have only "taken" a small amount of "re-training" .

Actually it is an appreciable amount of re-training that they have taken in, given that EVERY meal in the past had to be to over-flowing till sick, whereas now they're (trully) happy well before the groaning stage! In fact they're somewhat unhappy when groaning--which is what one SHOULD expect, right?!?!?

But I do remain in the give me MORE camp, so I do have to continue to watch caloric density fairly carefully!

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Connie .... you're so..... conventional LMFAO 😂

Laurie.... good luck .... I am not seeing how that will work... waiting for your report! 🤷🏻‍♂️

My yogurt is one small container of Dannon lite and fit Greek yogurt, 80 calories lots of protein….I like the coconut flavor….today I had some sliced strawberries in it….I did try Lauries cottage cheese and blueberries minus the almonds….it was good!….

PAV did you make mud pies when you were young?….I picture you now going through your kitchen thinking if you like two or three or seven or eight food items, mix them all together and they will taste better!….more is not necessarily better!….and then add a zillion spices to perk them up and hot sauce!….love you anyway!….just not eating with you!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Your salad needs help! ... Maybe some extra salad!!!

I am amazed at the small quantities of yogurt you guys consume.... I tend to operate on... tubs... you know... 650 to 750g. with a range of half a tub to max two tubs :blush:

I find that downright inspiring! lol
  • lauriekallis
    Nah nah nah nah nah, PAV. Connie likes my snack, and that means she would eat a snack with me. But she won't eat with you.

:D

In honour of that I'm having a 3 food only dinner, just barely touching: scrambled eggs (sorry, Connie), Kale (sorry, Connie), baked sweet potato wedges (I think you would like those, Connie).

And then sriracha on everything!!

>:)
  • PAV8888
    Laurie I think @dcshima is sounding a bit on "our" camp!

I think Connie is a meanie for having snacks with you but not with me... but I respect my "elders" even if I feel a bit in danger due to my "younger man" status!

It's dangerous out there... and that Connie can DEFINITELY outswim me!!!!! :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    SAWSAN!
    Falafel... hot.... just the skewered patties.
    165g have gone down so far!
    Fluffing up with 200g tomatoes! :smile:

In the "oven", or rather fridge... 10g sugar free jello, 500g water... and 740g Oikos 0% greek all mixed up with 7g unsweetened cocoa! Who knows what will come out in a few hours once the puppy walk is done!
  • conniewilkins56
    Laurie I think @dcshima is sounding a bit on "our" camp!

I think Connie is a meanie for having snacks with you but not with me... but I respect my "elders" even if I feel a bit in danger due to my "younger man" status!

It's dangerous out there... and that Connie can DEFINITELY outswim me!!!!! :smiley:

I got your elder!
  • PAV8888
    Oh no... jello/yogurt disaster so far.... added another pack of cherry jello in the hopes it improves! Currently looks like.... redish milk! :disappointed:
  • PAV8888
    Pure sadness I report. It almost looked like something that COULD have been edible... and I guess it was technically edible since it is now gone! But... yeah... NO. Pinkish jello-yogurt broth cold soup wasn't what I had in mind!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,733 Member
    edited August 2021
    I've gone to the more quantity for the buck section... 'cause my hamsters are firmly in the "more more more" camp and have only "taken" a small amount of "re-training" .

Actually it is an appreciable amount of re-training that they have taken in, given that EVERY meal in the past had to be to over-flowing till sick, whereas now they're (trully) happy well before the groaning stage! In fact they're somewhat unhappy when groaning--which is what one SHOULD expect, right?!?!?

But I do remain in the give me MORE camp, so I do have to continue to watch caloric density fairly carefully!

For the past decade I've been diligently training my hamsters to prefer quality over quantity, and slowly but surely the lessons have stuck. I'd still consider myself a 'volume eater' - and I suspect that avoiding portion-creep will be a lifelong battle - but I've come a long, long way from the days when I'd eat until my stomach hurt.

Nowadays, I always try to choose the 'full fat' version of foods over the 0% or 'low fat' version. Partly because this helps me to avoid too many artificial sweeteners, and partly because the full fat version tastes better, is more satiating and usually feels more indulgent. In the past I'd eat fast...now I slow down and try to appreciate what I'm eating.

Examples -
    • first time I ever went to Rome back in 2006, I ate three large gelatos every single day, each with 2 large scoops in a waffle cone. Now, when I'm in Rome, I eat 2 small scoops in a tub (no waffle cone) and only have one every other day.
    • I used to buy a 6-pack of Burton's Wagon Wheels or a 6-pack of Tunnocks' Tea Cakes and eat all six in one sitting. Or plough my way through a half dozen Cadbury Cream Eggs. Or a whole box of Quality Street. Now, if I want chocolate, I have a 15g mini bar of Green and Blacks and nibble it slowly, letting it melt on my tongue. I challenge myself to make it last as long as possible...
    • I buy really creamy, organic artisan cheddar from a little local dairy that has a herd of grass-fed cows, and I savour a small slice with a sharp Granny Smith apple.

Simple indulgences, savoured slowly.
  • lauriekallis
    Sorry for your jello slurpee, PAV.

Good work, Bella! That is something that I will have to work on. I'm not going to try too hard yet, because that would be bringing in opening too many fronts at once. But I have thought how I will need to address the need for "volume" at some point.

This is such a good segue into my frozen fat free pudding report.

It was too a dismal failure.

Popped them into the freezer around 8:30 last night.

Took pups out for a walk, scrambled to get some "last few things." Suddenly it was well after midnight. Way too late to still be awake when I was up and moving at 6.

You can guess the rest of the story.

Thought - Okay, you can try one of those puddings now. Should be be almost frozen.

Had one of the dulce de leche. Pretty good. Only 50 calories. Maybe try one of the chocolate.

Had one of chocolate. More frozen. Really good. Only 50 calories.

By 1:30 all 8 were in my belly. Belly wasn't particularly happy with any of it.

So. Yes. Frozen fat free puddings are quite delightful.

And. Yes. Sleep is very important.

And. Yes. Scale was up .2 pounds again this morning.
  • PAV8888
    Okay but it can't be the 400 calories of pudding ??????!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive never tried some Frozen. Now you're giving me ideas
  • lauriekallis
    No. Never blame the pudding! Even with inhaling 8 of them, I was way under maintenance. And the carbs aren't over the top. It is just my current trend :)

To be honest, I've never actually tried frozen either. Just half frozen.
  • conniewilkins56
    Laurie, I was down .2 this morning lol….this is killing me!….John was feeling fair this morning and he went and got a haircut….( hub has short silver gray hair and steel blue eyes )…he also had a free
    “ birthday lunch “ coming to him at our favorite BBQ place so he wanted to go….I had a gift certificate at Barnes and Noble close to the restaurant….I got two new bloody mystery novels ( I like gore and blood and guts )…for lunch I was very proud of myself….I had 4 slices about 3 oz. smoked Turkey, slaw and a half order of fries and I was stuffed….there was a time I would order the 3 meats, ribs,sliced pork and turkey along with slaw, beans,fries,cornbread and redneck egg rolls along with it and then a stop at DQ for a medium Reese’s blizzard!….oh well….

Dinner tonight is going to be a Greek Salad….nothing original
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited August 2021
    we are having crockpot chicken philly cheesesteaks

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/crock-pot-chicken-philly-cheesesteak-sandwiches/

its pretty low calorie (the filling itself). most of your calories come from the bread really LOL a half a sandwich, which is what i have logged for tonights dinner, will come in around 210ish calories. 145 (remember, half a hoagie bun) is from the bread (you could probably do a little 100 calorie hot dog bun too, im certain ive done that before). . i estimated about 100 grams for the chicken filling. been since last winter when i made it last so i dont remember how much it takes, but i have a hard time seeing it being more than that for a half a sandwich.

this is a regular in our rotation...

• PAV8888
    I like the look of your chicken but I would be very tempted to forgo the sad high cal bun and serve them on potato or veggies... possibly grilled in the oven.... I can see portobello mushrooms filled with your mix.... I can see a layer of potatoes or carrots or zucchini or eggplant that is oven baked or with a bit of bite to it and then piling the chicken on top.... or even a turnip or swede mash maybe :smile: Hmmm.... I might make something like this is the future call-z-ies!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I like the look of your chicken but I would be very tempted to forgo the sad high cal bun and serve them on potato or veggies... possibly grilled in the oven.... I can see portobello mushrooms filled with your mix.... I can see a layer of potatoes or carrots or zucchini or eggplant that is oven baked or with a bit of bite to it and then piling the chicken on top.... or even a turnip or swede mash maybe :smile: Hmmm.... I might make something like this is the future call-z-ies!

oh theres tons of ways you could modify it, for sure.

I've put it in little low carb wraps before, and thats good, too.

With a husband who needs to gain weight and a teenage boy in the house (also skinny), its always a balance of doing things that will give them the calories they need and what i can work in or modify in whatever way i feel like doing to make work for the day lol