Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Ugh! Sawsan! They've struck again! I had one piece of salmon (75g with skin removed) and the chicken dog wrapped in the lettuce leaf since it was there! Skylar had most of the other piece -- the rest is for her later tonight (shush, don't tell anyone) :blush:
    j6i84plvmum2.png
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    That looks good …..I have been looking at smoked canned herring recipes….I saw one with rye toast, cream cheese, herring on top with some dill and lemon zest and it sounded pretty good….and then I baked fresh blueberry muffins for the family…they were gone so fast I barely got to smell them lol…..I love to bake…..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ugh! Sawsan! They've struck again! I had one piece of salmon (75g with skin removed) and the chicken dog wrapped in the lettuce leaf since it was there! Skylar had most of the other piece -- the rest is for her later tonight (shush, don't tell anyone) :blush:
    j6i84plvmum2.png

ill take the salmon and pass on the hot dog. chicken or otherwise LOL

we're having BBQ chicken and grilled veg for dinner tonight, after wandering around the store lamenting that there was nothing there to eat LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
  • PAV8888
    Did you get one of those Costco type BBQ chickens ready to eat?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Did you get one of those Costco type BBQ chickens ready to eat?

no.

ew.

dont forget. OCD food rules here. I dont know what # rule that violates but its one of them LOL

chickens breasts. We are fully capable of grilling it and putting BBQ sauce on it ourselves ;)
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV I have never been inside a Cisco or Sams Club….not one time!

Dinner tonight is salad with lite bleu cheese dressing, meatloaf made with lean ground beef, new tiny steamed potatoes , and steamed cauliflower, broccoli, and pea pods with a T. of Grated Parmesan cheese on it….

Happy to report the muffins are gone so I was never tempted with them!….today I am baking lemon poppyseed muffins….

I looked at those cans of herring and I just couldn’t talk myself into buying them….I did have Dover Sole on a cruise once and I liked it… I opted to buy a can of salmon…not sure how long it will set in the pantry ( the last can I donated to a food drive ) but my intention is to eat it!

Also found a Chobani flip yogurt in Harvest Pumpkin….the pumpkin season has arrived although it’s 90+ degrees here!
  • conniewilkins56
    Cosco
  • PAV8888
    Was that pink or sockeye? With skin and bones... or without? A trick that totally floored me the first time I saw it done by a friend who was canning his own salmon... was to turn the salmon (skin and bones included) into "salmon salad" right in the can... that way you don't get to think too much about what you're mushing together :lol: He had room because he was using mason jars... but that clued me into what was possible vs sitting there removing each piece of skin before eating! As you saw from my log the other day though, I did run into a boneless skinless way more money than average can the other day!
  • conniewilkins56
    Was that pink or sockeye? With skin and bones... or without? A trick that totally floored me the first time I saw it done by a friend who was canning his own salmon... was to turn the salmon (skin and bones included) into "salmon salad" right in the can... that way you don't get to think too much about what you're mushing together :lol: He had room because he was using mason jars... but that clued me into what was possible vs sitting there removing each piece of skin before eating! As you saw from my log the other day though, I did run into a boneless skinless way more money than average can the other day!

Omg there is skin in it?….I dunno what kind I got….I think Chicken of the Sea….I was planning on making salmon patties with it mixed with diced onion and egg in it….I will have to read the label….it’s a pretty big can not the tiny tuna size!
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Omg there is skin in it?….I dunno what kind I got….I think Chicken of the Sea….I was planning on making salmon patties with it mixed with diced onion and egg in it….I will have to read the label….it’s a pretty big can not the tiny tuna size!

So patties are perfect... you do know what goes into hamburger patties... right? you just mush mush mush and your salmon will be all GOOD and yummy!!!! :smiley: I can think of sooooo many yummy add ins to put in for your patties :wink:

(maybe get your daughter to do the first mushing under the theory of "what you don't know won't hurt you" :wink: )
  • callsitlikeiseeit

that reminds me, my husband doesnt like fish (in any form except fish and chips lol) but when i was with my ex i used to make fish patties from tinned tuna that was really good. i dont have the recipe anymore but im sure i just looked one up online somewhere - probably on pinterest.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    @conniewilkins56 agree with Pav get someone else to do mushing....venture it is Pink Salmon. I prefer frozen or fresh Sockeye from Costco.

La Banderita Carb Counter flour tortilla make some mean Fish taco or quesadillas. In Midwest US, wish we had more fresh fish options.

As Connies family use to run Grocery store(s), venture this is part of why no Costco? I can understand & respect this rationale. Interestingly my understanding is Costco makes most of their money off memberships, not actual sales, but sales margins on groceries is typically low across the board.

@PAV8888 I'm down with you & Laurie's antics for the most part. I'm all about getting most (lowest) calorie / (Highest) nutrition bang I can for my calorie budget as long as taste is not scarificed. I will try some pretty unconventional things...at least twice😉

Update on SF jello + Greek yogurt,
    1 box + 3/4C hot water + 1C cold water+ 1C yogurt in blender, turned out right consistency, very almost ambrosia-esc.
    I will try some jello salad add-ins next time, drained crushed pineapple or pureed canned drained pears + light cream cheese in lime jello.
    Also on docket, plain gelatin + protein powder + yogurt.
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    @dcshima I wonder why mine was so pathetic?

Could it be that I mixed the whole thing together right away without waiting for the jello to form? But you used a BLENDER? I just used a fork for *kittens* sake... and ended up with TWO packages of jello (which would normally require 1l of water) while using only 500g of water. True, I used WAY more yogurt (750g, or three cups instead of your one cup)

I am confused :disappointed:

**I second the frozen skin on sockey, albeit quite expensive really when you get down to it. But very convenient and absolutely "pan grill-able" from frozen.
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV probably added cumin or garlic or hot sauce to his jello concoction!….

Ha ha if you think my daughter would mush up the salmon….she doesn’t like any weird foods….this is the same child who at 19 tried to boil eggs with no water!…and she eats ketchup on everything….Amanda can cook basic foods now but not much variety….her husband, from Haiti fixes a lot of his own foods…occasionally he fixes something on Sundays that we all enjoy but he was diagnosed with Diabetes a year ago and he has had to limit so many foods he grew up on like fruits, rice and pork….very proud of him getting his sugar under control…

We owned grocery stores for a very long time….they were “ mom and pop “ stores and very labor intensive….I was a butcher and baker!…family joke is I wasn’t a candle stick maker!…we did order cigarettes occasionally from Cosco but our stock crew picked them up….our stores were in high traffic areas and we had a lot of employees….a lot of time our dinners at home were hot foods we brought home from the store….we did hot breakfast and lunches every day….

I have heard of tuna burgers….

This salmon is only getting egg, celery, onion,salt, pepper and parsley flakes put in them….maybe a few crushed saltines….spritz pan with olive oil and fry them up….tomorrow night is going to be beef short ribs in the slow cooker…( on sale BOGO )….my hamburger patties have HAMBURGER in them….that’s all!…no add ins….
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    @Pav8888 did you use hot water to bloom the gelatin then cold or tepid water? For cleaning blender can run with hot water & soap to get good start on it.
    Also would stick to 2 water :1 yogurt ratio, gelatin can be finicky.

@conniewilkins56
    Explains for your love for baking ☺️

Maybe your son in law would be up for salmon mush challenge? Basically they take whole piece of salmon in can, add water & cook / can it. Caution don't expect it to be like tuna if you got a bigger / taller can that is wider on one end.
    Agree with salmon patties mix ins, including saltines to bind, may need remoulade to dress up or not.
  • PAV8888
    It's got to be the ratio @dcshima because I did use hot water, I thought for the first one, then added the jello then tap water then added yogurt then put in fridge. But I did use the whole tub with the first box of jello. Then I blended in the second box... but as is with a fork, without any water or anything.
  • conniewilkins56
    I used to make a pretty pink salad with drained fruit cocktail,dry package sugar free cherry jello, cottage cheese, and cool whip….stir jello into cottage cheese, milk in fruit and gently fold cool whip in….it’s really good!

When we had our stores, the one in the Keys had the biggest baking area….I did sub rolls, all kind of breads, croissants,cinnamon rolls, strudels, turnovers,cookies,pies,cupcakes,huge brownies and 14 flavors of muffins….we had hot foods, a full deli all Boars Head,and 30 glass apothecary jars of jelly belly beans!…so many stories about that store!….in the early 1960 s it had been a bar with a fishnet hung across the ceiling….the locals said women would flip there panties up into the net and leave them there!…later it was a small store and when we bought it in the late 90s the owner was almost losing it…we put so much work into that place including new septic systems, new roof and actually lifting the foundation that was slowly letting the entire place sink into the ground!…it really turned into a great business and was very successful!
  • PAV8888
    You're getting baking flash backs Connie❣️ time to lay the 🐹s off the muffins and into salmon patties ❣️❣️❣️
  • Goodgollygee
    Goodgollygee Posts: 102 Member
    Why are ya'll playing around with jello and yogurt? Sounds like 2 things that should never meet in the same dish. :)

That Philly chicken crock recipe on the other page by callitlikeiseeit sounds yummy. And all the variations too.

Connie: Your store sounds like a lot of work but very satisfying. Have you ever tried these canned Brunswick Seafood Snacks, Kippered? I think they're mackerel? They come in different flavours and are yummy.

Today's supper is grilled chicken, turnip, salad with cabbage, kale, mandarins and balsamic dressing, home made pita chips and blueberries.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,701 Member
    edited August 2021
    A large part of my lunch and dinner was rainbow salad today (with houmous and falafel for lunch and with homemade chilli for dinner) so I had enough calories for a dessert.

100g 5% fat Fage greek yoghurt
    50g almost-defrosted raspberries
    20g Nutella

All mushed together into a sort of chilled pudding. It was yummy. Just enough Nutella to add a hint of chocolately hazelnutty goodness to each mouthful. It satisfied my hamsters, but luckily they're well trained and don't keep asking for "more! more! more!" like rodenty Oliver Twists.

blavjp1mr4up.png