Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 4

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Scale bounced up a pound overnight... :weary: It is The Way. Waist is looking better though. Measurement check next week. :+1:
  • cjsunnyside
    cjsunnyside Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Another higher carb day than I would have liked. It’s that darn yogurt and you guessed it @baconslave almonds! Especially on a hello fresh day I know I have to be careful with my noon meal. Cals were ok. And the scale this morning was down another .5! Yay. Let’s see what’s in store tomorrow !
  • cjsunnyside
    Options
    Back early today. Good day no movement on the scale. 20 minutes in the bike and I actually bought a couple swim suits for our upcoming trip! Usually that’s pretty painful. There will be no cover shoot lol but I’m feeling great about it. Great hello fresh dinner tonight just slightly amended and no carbs at lunch so just a couple
    Grams too many today but mostly veggies! Planning works. Imagine that. Ok I have a hockey game to watch. Have a great weekend all!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Back early today. Good day no movement on the scale. 20 minutes in the bike and I actually bought a couple swim suits for our upcoming trip! Usually that’s pretty painful. There will be no cover shoot lol but I’m feeling great about it. Great hello fresh dinner tonight just slightly amended and no carbs at lunch so just a couple
    Grams too many today but mostly veggies! Planning works. Imagine that. Ok I have a hockey game to watch. Have a great weekend all!

Seems like that was a great. Day. Any day you don't feel like walking off a cliff over swimsuits is a good day, right?
    Hope you are enjoying your weekend

Scale is still dumb. Measurements Monday. Just focusing on keeping cals reasonable this weekend. Especially for the Super Bowl eats on Sunday. I have keto-fare on hand. I just must not eat too much of it.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Another smallish loss this morning. Must stay strong today. Normally on Super Bowl Sundays, I like to indulge in chips n dip, beer, and other tasty morsels. Today, I will stay strong. It's not like my team is playing so it's just another game. Go Bengals!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Another smallish loss this morning. Must stay strong today. Normally on Super Bowl Sundays, I like to indulge in chips n dip, beer, and other tasty morsels. Today, I will stay strong. It's not like my team is playing so it's just another game. Go Bengals!

Good luck. We'll both be trying to not fall in the Super Bowl trap today. Cheering for the Bengals too.
  • cjsunnyside
    Options
    Have a Super bowl Sunday. I am not a fan of football but I find myself on the couch and the tv is on. I know the commercials and the half time show will be good! Haha. Have a great day hope your team prevails!
  • holisticlivingwithsam
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I’m Samantha (Sam) and am a newbie to this app and to Keto. I keep trying to start and then getting derailed (by myself). I live in Perth Western Australia 🇦🇺

What are everyone’s tips that they wish they’d been told when they started Keto?

Sam
  • baconslave
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I’m Samantha (Sam) and am a newbie to this app and to Keto. I keep trying to start and then getting derailed (by myself). I live in Perth Western Australia 🇦🇺

What are everyone’s tips that they wish they’d been told when they started Keto?

Sam

Hey, Sam, welcome!

Tips:
    • Keto flu is electrolyte imbalance. Drink zero carb sports drink or make your own ketoade or drink salty boullion to avoid it
    • The scale will be dumb, expect it KCKO (Keep Calm and Keto On)
    • Take measurements or have a piece of "goal clothing" to measure non-scale progress for when the scale is being an idiot
    • Watch your NSVs (non-scale victories) like better energy, less fatigue, better sleep, better bloodwork, and etc for motivation
    • KISS- Keep It Simple, Silly. You don't have to count anything but carbs and calories. Just make Keto choices and the macros will fall in a good place. Then if you're tired and not exercising well, pick higher-protein over higher fat. Ketosis is entirely "low enough carbs consistently for long enough". You don't have to heap extra fat.
    • Enough protein is important. Fat is tasty and helps fill up enough calories, but protein is more important. No don't worry about too much protein kicking you out of ketosis. If you are doing keto for weight loss and count calories, you won't eat too much protein. Protein makes your body strong.

Anyone have other tips?
  • baconslave
    Options
    As for my update. I'm down to a new Life-With-Covid Low, 179.2
    It will bounce back up. But hitting new lows every couple weeks lets me know I'm on the right track. Move faster please though, tyvm. K, bye
  • NYPhotographer2021
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Well I indulged. I had a slice of cheese pizza and 6 wings with skinny girl ranch. I logged every last single gram of that mess! I went over my caloric goals, definitely my carb goal. So I went for a fairly fast paced walk for half an hour and that brought my calories down below my daily goal. So that was good. Still up at the scale. But I did expect that. Today was back on track. Carbs were on pointe. Tomorrow will be the same. It was all good. Normally I would have had 2 or 3 slices of loaded pizza plus the wings. And chips/dips/alcohol. Nope, stuck to my water, and 1 slice of pizza and the wings.

Speaking of alcohol...if you watched the game, there was a commercial for ZERO carb beer! I think it was a Budweiser product. I looked at the grocery yesterday, and I did find 2 gram of carbs beer. But I passed on it. Now if I saw one with zero carbs, not so sure I would have passed on it! I've noticed that within the past year or so, more and more companies are coming out with keto friendly products! I remember when I first started on this WOE back in 2017, it was really hard to find anything with low carbs. Everything was low fat. Looks like the tides may be turning! So yay!
  • cjsunnyside
    Options
    Welcome @holisticlivingwithsam. I’m 50
    Days in and @baconslave has great tips to get you started ! I can only add that committing to logging everyday has been a great habit building exercise in general while tracking is the essential piece. And this thread has been a big part of it.
    As for my check in today. Well to start I was down another pound AND I go my period. How can the first 5 minutes of my day be so great and so bad at the same time haha. I ate all my calories for the first time lol plus a few! But just a few so Good day over all.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Just been dang busy. The 17-year-old's dual enrollment class is finally in-person so that means me running him around 2 days a week. Plus have to take the old treadmill to the recycling center tomorrow and then he has his community college open house Thurs night. UGH. Where is my transporter, science!

Scale is same. At least it didn't go up.
    KCKO
  • baconslave
    Options
    Well I indulged. I had a slice of cheese pizza and 6 wings with skinny girl ranch. I logged every last single gram of that mess! I went over my caloric goals, definitely my carb goal. So I went for a fairly fast paced walk for half an hour and that brought my calories down below my daily goal. So that was good. Still up at the scale. But I did expect that. Today was back on track. Carbs were on pointe. Tomorrow will be the same. It was all good. Normally I would have had 2 or 3 slices of loaded pizza plus the wings. And chips/dips/alcohol. Nope, stuck to my water, and 1 slice of pizza and the wings.

Speaking of alcohol...if you watched the game, there was a commercial for ZERO carb beer! I think it was a Budweiser product. I looked at the grocery yesterday, and I did find 2 gram of carbs beer. But I passed on it. Now if I saw one with zero carbs, not so sure I would have passed on it! I've noticed that within the past year or so, more and more companies are coming out with keto friendly products! I remember when I first started on this WOE back in 2017, it was really hard to find anything with low carbs. Everything was low fat. Looks like the tides may be turning! So yay!

It depends on how bad the zero carb beer tastes...

Might try some soon though just to see. Still has calories and the amount of beers I'd have to drink to get buzzed compared to whiskey... :neutral: But if I were really craving beer... well it is definitely nice to finally have more options
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    It depends on how bad the zero carb beer tastes...

Might try some soon though just to see. Still has calories and the amount of beers I'd have to drink to get buzzed compared to whiskey... :neutral: But if I were really craving beer... well it is definitely nice to finally have more options

True...if it tastes horrible, it really doesn't matter that it has zero carbs. I think I've seen some reviews on the general forums and some liked it, others say it left a bad taste in their mouth. So I suppose it would be something to at least try. I'm not a big beer drinker anyway. More of a wine connoisseur. But because of the carbs in wine, I haven't had that for a while either. I like the sweeter wines. But that's why I passed on the ones with 2 carbs. I'd rather use those carbs for something that will satisfy my hunger, not my thirst.
    But I will have to at least give it a try.
  • cjsunnyside
    Options
    Down another 1/2 today which is good. Leaving for the airport in about 6.5 hours and 10 days in the sun. I do have a plan but now that we are here I’m a little nervous. I am going to stay in my calorie range and do my best to keep the carbs low while still treating myself to a daily margarita or two. Two would be 14 carbs so I think it’s doable. A good test tho. I know that I am fine with a stall if others but not going backwards. I’ll still be logging everyday. And checking in. 🌴☀️
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Down another 1/2 today which is good. Leaving for the airport in about 6.5 hours and 10 days in the sun. I do have a plan but now that we are here I’m a little nervous. I am going to stay in my calorie range and do my best to keep the carbs low while still treating myself to a daily margarita or two. Two would be 14 carbs so I think it’s doable. A good test tho. I know that I am fine with a stall if others but not going backwards. I’ll still be logging everyday. And checking in. 🌴☀️

Have fun!
  • baconslave
    Options

Yes! Hope you are having a glorious time!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Well. Scale down-tick a whole 2-tenths of a pound... :joy:
    Soooo generous. Busy busy but doing the keto thing. No exercise today b/c my 17 is keeping me busy running him to things. Kid LEARN TO DRIVE. But I'll probably get some walking in during the Open House. And get rained on. And I need to figure out how to eat keto at Wendy's something that I can eat while driving home. Dilemmas.

Off to check on MFP things and continue with the busy.
    Have a great Keto day!
  • cjsunnyside
    Options
    Hello all from Mexico! My newest scale issue..I don’t have one and I’m feeling anxious about it. I’m talking about the one I stand on and the one I weigh my food on! Don’t get me wrong I am thoroughly enjoying my vacation and will continue to do so but I’m nervous about my guesstimations and I don’t want any bad surprises when I get home! But damn I make a great margarita! Walked home from dinner again tonight for 4000 or so steps. Omg I wish I had the tech to load a pic here to show you my keto dinner I think all you meat loving friends would be in awe! Friend me on Facebook if you want to check it out!! Carissa McKee