New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Vraie2017 wrote: »
    Maybe we should start a diabetic support group?

I thought THIS was a diabetic support group.

Lowering and monitoring carbs was the thing that got my BG under control.
  • BigFatTron
    BigFatTron Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Everyone.

I hope everyone is happy and living their best life.

In the past month I have been diagnosed with a number of health issues which started with Fibromyalgia.

Wednesday last week I found out that I have Type 2 diabetes along with very high cholesterol and triglycerides, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis. It was like a sucker punch to the gut and a sharp slap to the face. Although I'm being treated as an urgent case by our amazing NHS, I need to get my life and health in order.

While I attend my various appointment in the coming weeks, I wanted, with the blessing of my GP, to get the ball rolling on my healthier lifestyle.

I would absolutely love to make lots of friends within this group that I can hopefully ask the odd question of. In return I will be a source of encouragement, support and, when appropriate, a means of a good giggle.

Thanks for reading my annoyingly long post...sorry :#

Stay safe and stay well.

Michelle x

Hi Michelle,

How are you? I would like to make friends for encouragement too.

I've recently been diagnosed with T2 and fatty liver which is looking as though it's already progressed to NASH. I am terrified. This is on top of high cholesterol, high blood sugar, pcos, thoracic aneurysm and weight gain. Anything I was on a rung of the ladder with pre covid, was fast tracked with having suspected long covid. The prediabetes diagnosis last year sadly wasn't enough for me. Once I got the T2 diagnosis it was like a rocket was lit under me. I've begun intermittent fasting, cut out all processed/refined carbs and starches. I'm back at the gym 6 days a week and following something similar to the fast 800. In 4 weeks I have managed to get BP into the normal range (still on meds though) and my clothes are getting baggy. I'm going to stick with this for another 8 weeks then see where my numbers are. I've always been a yo yo er with weight and would eat for pleasure. The one positive of these diagnosises, is that it'stotally changed my relationship with food for the better.

I'm wondering if you've had some good progress? And now I must apologise for my annoyingly long post ha ha!
  • 2t9nty
    I would like to hear about progress too.

Good on you @BigFatTron. It sounds as if you are doing what you need to do and are seeing results!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,335 Member
    Just a little about me - looking for others that are
    1) type 2 diabetic
    2) Chronic Kidney Disease
    3) Eating Whole Food Plan way, no animal, no dairy and no oil

Would like to get to know others that are doing this way of eating to control or get rid of any illnesses - my doctor just last week approved of this way of eating using The McDougall Plan as the source of what to eat and why - said if I do this way of eating for 3 months he is sure that my meds will be cut back by 1/2 and within 6 months I will more than likely be off pretty much all of the meds.

So if any of you are in this situation and would like to try this way of eating let me know

• Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Hi. My name is Teri and I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic living in Alberta, Canada. Rejoined MFP to track my carb intake and lose all the weight I have put back on. MFP was recommended by my diabetic class 😊 It may take me time to relearn how to use this site again and figure out my macros for carbs but I am looking forward to it and already feel like I am home.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi. My name is Teri and I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic living in Alberta, Canada. Rejoined MFP to track my carb intake and lose all the weight I have put back on. MFP was recommended by my diabetic class 😊 It may take me time to relearn how to use this site again and figure out my macros for carbs but I am looking forward to it and already feel like I am home.

Glad you are here! I have found the MFP tracking to be a big help personally.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,335 Member
    @Momma_Grizz = welcome to the group. I see you are from Alberta Canada - I am from British Columbia Canada = also have diabetes plus other illnesses. Let me know if I can be of help - think we are all on different plans for our issues and we have to do what works for us. I am following The McDougal Program as per my doctors advice (The McDougal Plan is an old program written by Dr. John McDougal who is a cardiatic doctor and who has help all his patients reverse all the illnesses that they were taking meds for - such as diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure.. In 2 months mine are changing and some of my meds have been lowered already - so I know the plan works - but at any rate, welcome, come as often as you can to the chat thread (each month it is given a new name) and share what you are doing /learning = it helps us all when we all participate as much as possible
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Hi, I am Helen. After being prediabetic for 10 years, I have just tipped over into type 2 diabetes. Hoping to reverse than and go back to a prediabetic status, which the Dr tells me should be possible with a focus on quality of diet, daily movement and losing some weight. I got complacent, hoping to get my mojo back and sort out my health.
  • 2t9nty
    wahelga wrote: »
    Hi, I am Helen. After being prediabetic for 10 years, I have just tipped over into type 2 diabetes. Hoping to reverse than and go back to a prediabetic status, which the Dr tells me should be possible with a focus on quality of diet, daily movement and losing some weight. I got complacent, hoping to get my mojo back and sort out my health.

You can do it! What is the plan with the diet?
  • lantzbills
    lantzbills Posts: 1 Member
    Hi There!
    My name is Elaine. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the beginning of the year. At first, I did well controlling it and kept my net carbs down to 140g/day. Lost weight and lab results were good. In the last few months, I had crisises one after another to deal with and stopped my plan. Also, my primarcy care physician left the practice and I am trying to establish a relationship with a new one. Haven't had lab work since July so I don't know how bad/good my labs are. I plan to get back on it my eating plan this Saturday, Oct 1 and am looking for a support group.
  • 2t9nty
    lantzbills wrote: »
    Hi There!
    My name is Elaine. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the beginning of the year. At first, I did well controlling it and kept my net carbs down to 140g/day. Lost weight and lab results were good. In the last few months, I had crisises one after another to deal with and stopped my plan. Also, my primarcy care physician left the practice and I am trying to establish a relationship with a new one. Haven't had lab work since July so I don't know how bad/good my labs are. I plan to get back on it my eating plan this Saturday, Oct 1 and am looking for a support group.

We are here for you. The stress does not help anything just on its own, and if you fall off the program it is the double smackdown. Are you back to the 140 net again starting tomorrow?
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    lantzbills wrote: »
    Hi There!
    I plan to get back on it my eating plan this Saturday, Oct 1 and am looking for a support group.

Hi Elaine,
    Keeping the net carbs down is difficult (but it does work). Don't let any set back get you down, just start again and get the next set of lab results better.

Cheers

Alan
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hello Everyone, I was diagnosed with type 2 yesterday so all of a sudden I have no idea what I'm doing!
    I had gestational diabetes 24yrs ago bit that disappeared as soon as my baby popped out and only lasted about 2 months.
    I've been put on metformin and told if I lose weight there's a chance it will be in remission.
    This isn't my first rodeo on MFP either lol

Oh, I'm also going through menopause, just to add a bit more excitement 😄
  • 2t9nty
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, I was diagnosed with type 2 yesterday so all of a sudden I have no idea what I'm doing!
    I had gestational diabetes 24yrs ago bit that disappeared as soon as my baby popped out and only lasted about 2 months.
    I've been put on metformin and told if I lose weight there's a chance it will be in remission.

Welcome to the group. My experience is that as you get things figured out and settle into a routine that works for you, you should monitor the BG pretty closely. This helped me a lot.

Also, sometimes you just have weird things that are just your body and the way it works. My BG on waking (after a 10 hr fast) will sometimes be the highest of the day - no kidding. I tell my doctor this and he says "That is a heck of a thing." If I were only doing the morning readings, I would think I was not doing so well, and then not understand the A1C at the checkup.
  • Jackie9003
    2t9nty wrote: »

Welcome to the group. My experience is that as you get things figured out and settle into a routine that works for you, you should monitor the BG pretty closely. This helped me a lot.

Also, sometimes you just have weird things that are just your body and the way it works. My BG on waking (after a 10 hr fast) will sometimes be the highest of the day - no kidding. I tell my doctor this and he says "That is a heck of a thing." If I were only doing the morning readings, I would think I was not doing so well, and then not understand the A1C at the checkup.

Thanks for that, I’m not monitoring my glucose levels at home but I have a blood test booked for 3 months time.
  • 2t9nty

Thanks for that, I’m not monitoring my glucose levels at home but I have a blood test booked for 3 months time.

Back when I was on meds, I found metformin worked very well for me. It seems to give some people GI distress, but it only did that for me when carb intake was high.
  • Jackie9003

Back when I was on meds, I found metformin worked very well for me. It seems to give some people GI distress, but it only did that for me when carb intake was high.

I went to my surgery's clinic and I now have to do my blood levels and there's another tablet coming. My level was 101 and they want to get it down ASAP, it's all a bit mind blowing at the moment but I'll have a good read through the group posts for more hints, tips and information.
  • 2t9nty

I went to my surgery's clinic and I now have to do my blood levels and there's another tablet coming. My level was 101 and they want to get it down ASAP, it's all a bit mind blowing at the moment but I'll have a good read through the group posts for more hints, tips and information.

One of the key things I have gotten from following the forums and talking to people is that the medical community can be very symptomatic and formulaic in its treatment. It seems to me that people find great success with a variety of diets. Some meds that are great for some people don't work for others at all.

I avoid the YouTube videos myself, but some people find them helpful.
  • mypixiedesigns
    mypixiedesigns Posts: 26 Member
    Hi there. I have actually been in this group before but I feel off the MFP wagon hard. I was diagnosed T2 in Jan 2019. I did awesome and managing it with just diet and exercise until COVID. Then overtime I gained all the weight I had lost back and my diabetes has been out of control since. My last A1C was 9.3😬. I just started on Ozempic since I had a reaction to Metformin and Glipizide did nothing to control my sugar. Ozempic has really had me riding a roller coaster of side effects but my sugars are in range and I think things are starting to stabilize. Trying to get back to eating better and being active everyday from walking to actual fitness classes of various kinds. I also have a fun little meter called Libre Freestyle 2 which is nice to have instant reading with no finger stick and a bit of a pain all at once. Any way I am here and hoping to have accountability, motivation, support, and exchange ideas on healthy habits/meals/etc. happy 2023!
  • 2t9nty
    Glad to have you back!

Happy (and healthy) 2023 to you...