Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    edited May 2022
    @swenson19d - love the picture od Kevin at doggy daycare! Maybe he needs a pool at home too ๐Ÿ˜. We had one for Hobbes for a while but her wouldn't go into it, just dropped his toys in it and got frustrated that he couldn't get them easily.
    Under the split are some links to games. They say for indoors but at least some of them could be adapted to outside. I also included a couple of other ideas too.
  • shanaber
    Had a pretty good day today. Got a lot of things done around the house. After going to the air museum yesterday I went on a hunt for some of my dad's military documents. We looked at them last year before we moved out for the house work and I cannot find them anywhere. I did get several boxes emptied and things put away though. Hopefully searching tomorrow will turn some of it up.

I got in a hot, hot, hot run leaving Hobbes at home because it was just too hot. I did it to myself though and should have gotten out earlier but I just don't seem to be able to manage it. Need to figure it out soon.
    Food was pretty good, certainly better than Thursday, but I should have maybe had a few more calories and more protein. I think I am going to start making smoothies again. Seems to be a good way to get a good dose of protein and carbs.

It is supposed to be even hotter tomorrow so I am not planning to run. Sunday should be much cooler.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Sandy came home 9 days early from training. She is in heat. She's been fine at home. It's early, but I dont see any signs of her acting oddly. She is humping Kevin and he does his gator move. It like sun salutation for doggies, lol! Then they get in an argument over it, "you dont like that do you Kev? Stay of MY bongo butt" er, something like that. I have pants for her and she's good to wear them.
    It's chaotic having them both back together, but it is familiar chaos.

Old dog & prozac
    Maggie had a vet visit yesterday and I just laid out all my concerns. The visit was for dermodex. Mites/mange around her left eye caused by a weakening immune system. Typical in geriatric dogs. I mentioned the anxiety, asked for a cataract update, and assurance the large lumps were lipomas. So Dh is off to fill her first script yay! Hopefully, she'll feel better and won't bark when Im gone or follow me everywhere. They all do, but she's making sure the aliens dont get me.

Food.
    DD fixed lasagna and I ate so much of it yesterday and a package of scones from Panera. Weight is up 4 pounds. oh well. I slept better than usually. Not sure if it is having the dogs back or the excess calories. I am zapped for some reason.

Exercise
    I bought that reel mower for the backyard. It is getting easier and easier to mow. I get it every 2-3 days though so it's not harder than it could be. I also mowed Alex's plot and the others, which I need to get again. But it is near 100 today. Perhaps this evening.

School
    No idea what I am doing. Waiting on the nursing dept to let me enroll... who is waiting on the lawyers to decide... what a mess I made by asking for assistance. Nursing is appealing simply because (Im interested), money and opportunities. Psychology would be ideal in the sense that I could work from home and do Telehealth and mind the dogs- or they can be my daily support system. The money isnt great. But I like the idea of working from home and not being on my feet 12 hours.

Hip
    The first steroid shot seemed to help about a week. So I had another one last week, Thursday. So, I'm not sure what planned with the labrum tear in the front. Or if the Si joint(s) are surgical fixes. I have heard it helps, but also it is similar to having your spine fused and causes stress on other vertebral joints. Seems like psychology might be the safer bet. IDK what the plan is yet.

Thats all I got for now.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    You are busy @swenson19d . Glad both dogs are home. Are you planning on spay and neuter for them? Glad you got meds for Maggie. Hope that helps. I had Mexican yesterday, so I'm right there with you with the weight gain. Mowing with the reel mower is great exercise. Glad you are getting out there and moving. Hope you get school and your hip figured out sooon.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning!

Another day and another dollar!

@swenson19d Sandy is in heat again already? Has it been that long? Mom's dog kept going into heat, I think 2x before she was 14 months...when they finally were able to do it, the vet said her uterus didn't look right and did a full hysterotomy and they wondered if she had hormonal issues.

@shanaber It was hot here on Saturday, almost 90 and not a slightest breeze. Woke up Sunday and were completely surrounded by pea soup fog and winds. Today is more of the pea soup, it is so thick it is dripping like it has rained.

The weekend was pretty good :) Nothing exciting. My hair stylist cancelled again, at least this time I wasn't walking out the door, I told her I was available again in June and she never replied...oh well, maybe I will just quit and save myself $200 every 8 weeks. Saturday I went to collect the mail at Mom's, drop some stuff off at the trailer (I bought these mouse repellant doohickeys that flash lights, siren, and have a low freq buzz), did some shopping and checked out my expensive goodwill. DH is so domestic, I find it quiet funny. He would rather stay home and clean than go out. The rest of the weekend I doubled down on my reselling, it is just so slow. There are some folks that are making it work but they are mass quantity and can get inventory cheaper than me so they are underpricing everyone else. I guess I will just keep working at it and maybe it will turn around, or maybe it will stay a side hustle.

This week is not busy but there are things that need to be done. Meetings, training, etc...oh and so much paperwork.

Scale was over 170 this AM, I have not seen that number 20 years. Not sure why, we didn't eat out this weekend and I don't feel like I gorged. DH did drag me out to dinner on date on Friday night and I had the strongest mojitos of my life LOL...I also ate enough for 4...maybe that was it.

Food:

I bought the UCAN starch and protein powder. It is 160 calories and supposed to keep you full. You aren't supposed to mix it with high sugar stuff, but I had some frozen berries I needed to use up. I also put in some adaptogens and maca root. I will log it here shortly. I also took 200mg of 5-HTP for mood, it seems to be upsetting my stomach...well something is. Lunch is street tacos. Dinner?? TBD.

Exercise:

Was thinking of doing a Peloton yoga class after work.

Mood:

Feeling pretty good actually. I took the 5-HTP Sat and Sun and felt productive and able to focus all weekend. Feel sharp today and motivated...but the tummy issues (nausea) kinda knocks me down a peg.

Best get to it! 5 days till vacay!
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2022
    @CMorning99 This is Sandy's first heat. She is 9.5 months old. It has been somewhat of a challenge, but also not big deal, if you just accept it. She has pooed in the washable diaper twice. I have 3 and I am constantly washing them. She is good to let me put them on and remove when she needs out. I ran the old dog to the groomers (two days early) and Sandy pooed. It "walks" out of the doggie pants and I have surprises everywhere. No big deal, I get it. Hormones are unkind to the guts. DD hates that when she in out of diapers that there are drips on the floor. Its tile. I reminded her not to V shame my doggo. Everything is washable. Easier not to fight it. DH is getting a bit of female education also. He took her pants off and told me she peed in them. I explained that the discharge isnt only blood and is mostly fluids.

I have kind of a rant/perceived injustice to let out.
    Last week I was in Dallas. There is a homeless guy always on a certain corner, Washington & 75. I think few months ago when I was by, I was stuffing my face with a schlotzskys sandwich out of habit not hunger, as I sat at the light. His sign read "hungry". I gave him the other half of course. Last week I had nothing for him...
    This lady in the lane to my right, he's on my left, rolls her window down, it's 100F out and I thought "oh good". She yells something to him, rolls her back window down where a ~4 year old girl appears. "oh man! Great! she's gonna let the girl give him something".
    Heck no. The both yell hate at the man and the little girl shakes her head at him giving him what for. I am dismayed and the light changes before I can process. He yells back and you can see the defensive hurt.
    It has just been weighing on me today. I get it if you dont want to help/enable, but to treat someone like that and teach your kids the same?
    Man, just keep your windows up and move on. The thing that gets me is that these two were African American. A culture that has stood up to injustice and fought for equality. Just stepin' on the mentally ill/homeless, probably a Vet. Anyway, It just hits home with Alex, mental illness, and he could have just as well been the one on that corner.

tell me you did something good to out weigh the injustice of the world.
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 A couple of years ago when I had a mouse problem, I purchased these plug in mouse things. They have a constant bluish light and supposedly emit a sound that irritates them. Once I got them out of the house, I haven't had any more issues. So, I'm thinking it works. Hope what you bought does too. Glad your mood is improving and hope your reselling business picks up.

@swenson19d SMH at the lady and shame on her for teaching her little girl to do the same. HORRIBLE! And then she will probably wonder one day why her "sweet little girl" is in jail or gets beat up.

• shanaber
    @swenson19d - I never wanted to have a female dog because I didn't want to deal with the heat cycles. Our earlier females were all spayed very early as it was required when they were adopted from the SPCA. How old is Maggie now? I worry. about Hobbes sometimes. It is like he gets confused and doesn't know where he is or where he wants to go. Then he'll be fine the next day. He'll only be 10 at the end of June so not really that old yet.
    On your rant - I would want to rant too! I mean there is just all around too much hate and anger in the world and more specifically here, these days. I just don't understand what is wrong with people. Who teaches their little kids to shame and belittle people who are different or in need of help rather than teaching them to look for ways to help? That little girl is learning directly from her mom's example and when she turns into a terrible adult the mom will probably blame everyone else when she should be looking at herself. When I see the homeless guys here, mostly on the trail, I always think of my brother. He easily could have been one of them too. There is a guy I see pretty regularly who used the trail bathroom (usually the women's) to wash up and shave. He always left it spotless and complained that other people didn't clean up their mess. I haven't seen him in a while and I am hoping he has gotten into one of the transition housing projects.

@CMorning99 - We had marine layer and a little drizzle this morning but not like what you get. Have you used the UCAN before? I have heard it can cause stomach upset too. Glad the 5-HTP is helping your mood and making you feel more productive!

I did something to my arm Saturday night that was excruciating. It was a really sharp pain and it woke me up - I may have even yelped. Now I feel like I am back at square one. I see the PT tomorrow so we'll see what he has to say. I walked with Hobbes today and then we had agility class tonight. We were working on short segments of courses and Hobbes had a couple of really good runs. Then I had a friend video our last run thinking it would be good to get a video of a complete run to share. Ha! Hobbes broke the start line and ran to Jen. Then missed a jump going to a tunnel instead and off camera ran to her again. Then I missed a cue and we had to redo a sequence... if I can I will post the videos under the split...
  • quilteryoyo
    Love the videos @shanaber ! I had to laugh when I read that Hobbes did really well until the video came out. Just like kids, they won't do what you want them to when you are trying to show someone else something cute they do. He did really good though. Sorry about your arm, again. I hope the PT has some answers for you today.
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2022
    @shanaber @quilteryoyo thanks for the support. I never wanted to believe anyone taught their kids so little to hate. This particular guy seems "okay" mentally, not a danger. I've given to somewhat are out there. But it's not their fault. They still need to eat, drink, a place to sleep. Dallas has shelters that houses them for about 10$ a day. They have to work for it but aren't allowed to panhandle.

@shanaber which e-collar do you use for Hobbes? I just bought 2 on Amazon. It does have the shock function. I don't anticipate needing to use it. They are trained on the electric fence where they get beeped before shocked if they cross the boundary wire. This one I can leave the prongs off too so I don't have to worry about it digging into their necks. It also has a silicone safety cap if I need to up the deterrents. We are having serious issue with cat poop eating.
    Maggie is 11.5. I'd expect Hobbes being a pure bread.. Pure-bred LOL. Yes he is sourdough deliciousness. He may be more susceptible with his breed. I'd ask a breeder, vet, others who are in the know.

Weather here sucks.
    Its hot and humid and my head is unhappy.

We had a severe storm a few days ago out of the north
    Doc.
    I noticed on my app that there are 2 doctors added to "my team" that I didnt add. I think that function is on the docs end. I can favourite them. I looked up the docs and one is a neurosurgeon. Speciality is neurooncology, tumours, etc... the other does research in neurological stuffs. I am trying no to over think it, but think it's too late. Oddness. I do have a spinal tumour in a spiney bone. I named it uh..๐Ÿค”... Hortense. ya, that works.
    Doc info
    Dr. 1 is a fellowship-trained neurosurgeon specializing in neuro-oncology. His areas of expertise include glioblastoma, low-grade gliomas, metastatic brain tumors, meningiomas, pituitary tumors, skull base tumors, endoscopic surgery, primary and metastatic spine tumors, degenerative spine disease, and radiosurgery

doc 2 As an expert in the disciplines of neurology, neuromuscular disease, clinical neurophysiology and electrodiagnostic medicine,
    WHAt Is mY DiAggNOSis? haha! Mental?

Food
    I ate nothing but cookies yesterday and 1/2 a slice of cheese. ETA and my weight is below "DO SOMETHING". *contacted ADHD folks today... (didnt finish that thought)

where's @Avidkeo ? I try not to be nosey but I miss some of ya'll... @rheddmobile @runsonespresso.. @karlundy
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d That's some storm. Love the doggies playing. They have a nice big area to run in. I'm sure they enjoy that. I hope the doc added the others just to consult and help with your degenerative diseases. When do you see your doc again?

I'm pretty sure @Avidkeo had CoVID and it hit her pretty hard, so she is recovering....I think it was her. @rheddmobile comments on the other thread some and so does @RunsOnEspresso . I don't know @karlundy.
  • shanaber
    @swenson19d - Yikes that storm is scary. I always watch on the news the they talk about bad storm cells in TX and OK hoping they are no where near you. The pups don't seem to care about the storm at all!
    I would send your favorite doctor a note and ask if they know why those docs were added. Likely they were brought into consult or for an additional opinion would be my guess.
    I don't have an actual e-collar for Hobbes. I got a PetSafe collar and monitor for indoors to keep him away from the windows by the front door so he doesn't jump on the windows.
    I am going to take Hobbes into see the vet soon. He has a bunch of new lumps that are getting bigger and I need to have those checked and I will ask about his clarity too.

I have not seen much in the challenge thread from @rheddmobile or @RunsOnEspresso or @karlundy. I have seen @rheddmobile and @RunsOnEspresso with runs on Strava. I agree that @Avidkeo had covid and I haven't seen her on Strava either. @7lenny7 in back in the running challenge though after a long break.

I went to PT today... We are taking a big step back. My ROM has gone down considerably, not because there is any impingement or physical limitation. It is the pain keeping my from being able to move as much. So I have new exercises. Nothing to go overhead and I am not to reach for anything or try to lift anything. My shoulder as he said is very angry right about where the tear is and he wants it to calm down. The manipulations he did, while gentle was painful and I had to take some Tylenol when I got home and that has helped some.

Food was actually pretty good today, although I had Starbucks for breakfast. I had a hair appointment and it took longer than expected and when I was done I was starving and it was on the way home. After PT I went to TJs and got some hummus and had hummus and pita for lunch. For dinner we grilled chicken with just spice seasoning, a big salad and pan roasted potatoes with haricots verts & wild mushrooms (from TJs). I also had some ice cream ๐Ÿ˜
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Your arm sounds so painful. I hope it calms down soon. It's so hard to not lift anything or reach for things. You do it automatically and then feel the pain and think, "Well, that wasn't good." or something worse. :wink: It sounds like you did good with food yesterday. I love pan roasted potatoes. I'm not a fan of hummus though.

My weight was up a little bit this morning and I have no idea why. I actually ate good yesterday and had a salad I had made for lunch instead of the kids lunch - which always makes me gain. I think it must be full of sodium, no matter what it is. LOL Anyway, today is another day. I'm working 7:30 - 4:00 and then have church with mom, so hope I'll have time to get in a walk. I am opening at daycare tomorrow, so will be getting up even earlier, so am really going to try to get to bed before midnight. I think that will be my star challenge next month, if we do it. I've been trying, but haven't been very successful at it.
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

That is an impressive storm! I miss those, we used to get them in VA and TX and when I had to travel in FL I loved the afternoon storms. Alas in Cali...we don't even get rain.

I am trying to push a bunch of stuff through work before I leave for vacation, hopefully I can wrap it up before Friday. Some programs have some holes, but no one wants to fix them, so do I care? I should.

Grey cat is feeling ick again. He is eating less and we noticed he is drooling again...not like before, but starting. He also went through a pukey phase for 2 days and has lost a bit of sass. I am going to order his maintenance antibiotics so as soon as we hit 30 days, we can run him a course to calm his gums down. I was hoping to make it longer (6wks) but his mouth is just so nasty that we only made it 23 days. We got a call from the kitty eye doc last night saying they had a cancellation and if we wanted the appt, it is at 12pm today...we took it so we didn't have to wait another month. The eye seems quiet for now but would be nice to have some reassurance...at the price of $389. This vet is so hard to get into, that if you cancel with less than 24hrs, they keep your $220 deposit.

Ranch

The county is adding more water restrictions, makes it tempting to put in the well tanks since my "over usage" fees are going to go up again. Not sure if it is $16K tempting, but tempting. Draftsman said he would have the floor plan done and ready for the soils engineer by Monday afternoon...I have learned that you add a week to any deadline he gives LOL. Finally got the quote to move the mobile home, base price is $13K but I know we are going to need desk/stairs/skirting/utilities moved so probably closer to $20K. I have some fencing stuff to take care of and hopefully that will be the last I pay in cash for...well, there are going to be hefty fees for the county to review my property split package...so ok, after that maybe the rest will be "house loan" stuff. Mentally it is getting easier to spend Mom's money, but I don't like it LOL.

Exercise

I did a 2.3 mile WOG yesterday and a 10 min ab workout.

Food

Counted calories and was so under that the small bag of Ruffles that I attacked at 7pm didn't even put me over. 2 Days of success!

Mood:

I am out of 5-HTP. I feel pretty good mentally. Just normal unmotivated not foggy tired unmotivated. I was tired after work yesterday and sat on the couch till bed time.

Rinse and repeat.

• quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 Sorry grey cat isn't feeling well again. I hope you can get him comfortable for a while longer. Sounds like things are moving along at the ranch. Everything just sounds so expensive. I hope you can get everything you need to done before Friday and have a great vacation.
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2022
    @CMorning99 Hope the cat gets to feeling better soon. I wish I had some Ruffles. mmm.

@shanaber Poor Hobbes. I hope the lumps are benign. Does Hobbes paw at the windows? I cant recall or missed the reason why. When my oldest was 1-3, we lived on the third floor and he'd get in the windows. I had to put baby gates in them.
    I have a doc appt in a few weeks. Sure if he is referring me out to them, I'll know then. I seriously have PTSD. I can't remember one day from the next. The passage of time and its measurements elude me. So I could have very well done something and just not remembered it. Like concerns over the spinal hemangioma thing (doc 1), and MS/neurological concerns (doc 2). A few weeks ago the new dentist in the office asked how long I have had the bottom retainer. I said 2-3 years. My hygienist gives me a face... uh... maybe 5-6 years? she is shaking her head. Oh the correct answer is 12 years. jeez.

@quilteryoyo Yep, they have lots of room to run! The north there is cleared and its the drain field for the laterals and the south & east are heavily wooded.

Only Maggie & Bean are afraid of the storms. When the winds pick up and the coolness comes in, the others are ready to play, as you can see.

ADHD... @RunsOnEspresso
    I took an online eval today. I did not like it. It was stupid. Just forever flashing blue or red, circle or square for an eon. Youre supposed to press the space bar when two shapes & colours are the same back to back. uh? sounds easy right? Fert no. IQ of 130 (which is an archaic evaluation of intelligence) and I can not recall two colors or shapes that flash in sequence. I cant dance, I have trouble keeping my place reading, and reading music... I might be ADHD. I dont find this experience entertaining today. oh well.

New dog toy
    Maggie had a grooming today. Wow. new dog. I grabbed a discounted toy impulsively in the impulse bin next to the register. Its a tree stump with 3 squirrels that hide in it. Its plush and the rodents come out of it and are squeaky. I second guessed the purchase on the way home, but Kevin loves it. So I'll look for more hide & seek games for him. My toy choice record is 30% success. I usu stick to treats.

Food
    DD made chicken enchiladas, I am trying not to gorge myself on them. Weight is right at 124, do something.
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d I hope you get some answers from your doctors. I think we all have a hard time with "how long ago" things happened and it seems to get worse as we age....at least for me. I'm glad Kevin likes the new toy. Tippy was never toy motivated. She has a couple that she plays with a little. Food on the other hand is a great motivator. Those chicken enchiladas sounds great. I hope you enjoyed them with no guilt.
  • swenson19d
    @quilteryoyo Think these two like toys only when the other one has it. That dictates toy success. Right now we are on a frozen Kong kick to keep them busy. Kevin went to day care today. It was cute when I asked him this AM if he wanted to go. He cocked his head and gruffed and followed me around ensuring that I didnt forget about my offer. He'd been up since 530 and I took him about 8, he was tired and fell asleep in the car. We stopped at a red light and he popped up like "were there!" haha, not quite kiddo. I'm glad he likes it. Have you figured out any food changes to make?
  • quilteryoyo
    edited May 2022
    Kevin sounds like he's really smart @swenson19d . Glad he likes daycare too. Are you asking about my food or Tippy's? In any case, the answer is no. :lol:

I did take a salad for lunch today, but wound up eating some of the extra food they had for the kids. It was kielbasa and baked ziti. Pasta....it's hard to pass up.
  • CMorning99
    Good afternoon!

Last day till vacay! So ready...not for the drive, but ready for the end result!

Nothing too exciting. The eye doc for grey cat went ok, it was a 3 hour adventure. In the end she said she just couldn't see what the eye was doing b/c it is small and black. She said it has blood clots and edemas in it with lots of adhesions. Her theory is that it got infected with something nasty...where that infection came from is unknown (outside source or mouth). So $440 later and SIX medications later, we were out of there. She wants him on another round of oral and drops antibiotic since the eye is so fragile right now. Also have a dilator to help with the adhesions, a corneal protectant, something for the edema, ...and something else. The kicker...each drop SIX times a day. We are doing our best, but it comes out to about 4x a day. Also bummer is the antibiotics are for aerobic bacteria and his mouth infection is anaerobic, so we need to pick up more meds this weekend.

I haven't even started packing yet for the trip, but the nice thing is we are going to bring the trailer to house and I can just toss in everything and sort it out later. I plan to leave before sunrise on Sunday.

Ranch:
    Got some traction with the mobile home movers and sent them a list of questions. Got the final house plot and floor plan over to the builder so he can schedule the soils study.

Food:
    Still tracking everyday, today is day 5. Been able to stay under every day. Today though I don't know how (ok, I do) but lunch was 933 calories! It was a 6inch sandwich, bag of chips, cup of dry pasta salad, and 1/2 a brownie...What the heck! I am over by 355 calories now...maybe I wont be hungry at dinner and can cut my dinner in half.

Exercise:

Nothing :(

Mood:

Still good and my laziness is because of my vacation I am sure.

Well, I guess that is it till June unless I get enough service to check! Have a great rest of the month.