Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Just wow Alexandra! My only problem with you and your cooking would be the.... controlling the calories bit!

And thanks to yoolie 😡🤬😠 I'm out of both calories and double chocolate pie since she just had to remind me it was there!!!🐹🤬 So the rest of it has to come in at the lower end 🤣

I plate in the kitchen and weigh out portions. That's how I control the calories. (grin) And I put the leftovers (if there are any) away immediately so no one's tempted to get a little more of that cause it's tasty. No one includes me. (grin)

The problem that my partners have is one is fond of snacking and he likes more calorie rich snacks, and the other isn't on a regular schedule and often has large meals at odd hours in addition to what I cook. Once he gets his snacking under control and she has a schedule to conform to, they'll both lose weight. I know my portions for them are correct because his come back with one or two bites left and hers come back clean and she is sitting around with a glazed expression of pleasure as she eats the last bite. And that's where I am with mine, so that's about right.

A lot of times when I precook, I preportion. No one can eat extra crab rangoon unless someone gives up some of theirs, cause there's only 6 in the package. There isn't an extra pork chop; there were three in the package I thawed, I cooked three, that's all. That helps a lot because I have no innate sense of proportion when I'm hungry. I know intellectually that a small portion will sate me, but as I weigh out my dinner rice I often have to tell myself, like soothing a small child, "I know you're so hungry you want to cry but eat this and it will be okay. If you're still hungry we can deal with it then." Of course, I've gotten myself to where the small portion DOES make it okay, but my appetite is still there.

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Oh to have your sense of control and proportion! 😇

Unfortunately I have always been somewhat of a rule breaker. A whiff of “you can’t do that” is like catnip to me. My inner voice is 😈.
    Options
    I work the part of me that likes to break rules and do the wrong thing out in other venues. (grin)

The good thing about being autistic is that routine feels Right and comfortable, and breaking it feels Wrong. Of course, there are times that bites you in the *kitten*, but it does help with staying on your diet. Once it's a habit, well, it's What You Do.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,615 Member
    Options
    Ding dong, the pie is gone, which old pie, the chocolate one. Ding dong the wicked pie is gone!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,606 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Gone, you're right! 976 Cal putting me at about 150-200 above maintenanceb yesterday and 1 resting heart rate beat up to 66 as a result, if you want to get really technical.

And even if not directly caused by the pie, I'm still blaming the pie and gallen's $5 in points per pie if you buy two!!!! It *was* tasty. Unfortunately the calories are insane for the size of piece that I want to eat on order to be happy🤷🏻‍♂️ Alexandra and Garfield do the portion thing way way way better!
  • lauriekallis
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I'm afraid my portion would be the entire pie...will only buy it if I am taking it somewhere else and leaving the leftovers there too. TOOOOOO dangerous :(
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    One day later than I said - but tonight, PAV, I followed your fine example. Supper=frozen green beans& butternut squash + veggie sausage on a bed of riced cauliflower. 5 bunnies worth of veggies - 5 minutes of cooking. Full belly.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You're a smarter "veggie" than me... I went with frozen dinners! mind you the chickend in wine from lean cuisine at 150 Cal each... are actually a caloric, albeit not a financial, deal! Tomorrow... there will be bunnies.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    unexpected supper today! Went to the freezer for some frozen veggies a la PAV - but instead pulled out some chili - had that atop some soybean spaghetti and added a veggie sausage. Just about to eat. Think I'll be pretty full when I'm done this - a good thing because I'm pretty hungry now.
    Options
    Had a small homemade personal pizza, and actually had to stop midway and wait in order to finish it. As it is I'm full enough now to be lazy.

Boyfriend normally has fish on pizza nights but he had a rotten, frustrating day so he had a pulled pork wrap and went the heck to bed. Which is okay. I've got some tidying and organizing to do and that's easier when he's busy elsewhere.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    pav pulled a reverse PAV and oven-cooked some seafood lasagna (from the freezer people, from the freezer).... and just dumped 350g of tomatoes on his plate and ate it with the lasagna (and some lemon pepper given the worldwide sriracha crisis!!!!)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Today was a store bought frozen chicken Alfredo pizza on ultra thin crust. 230 cals for 1/4 pizza. And a large salad. Not bad but not very filling. Made me go scrounging for something to fill the void. So raw carrots......
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow someone's daughter's picture is looking pretty *kittens* awesome if you ask me!!!

But alfredo sauce on a pizza for calories??!?!?!?!? Excuse me while I 😿😿😿!!!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Kinda hot. Was gonna make salad. Someone else started making farmer sausage and eggs by the time I came back. It did smell good. I made some too! farmer's sausage (lot's=91.5g), THREE eggs (180g), lots of fresh onions (45g) and 283g of tomatoes = under 575 Cal. Plus two slices of toast and 5g butter and two jello cups for dessert and still around 775Cal... which is not terrible for me, though not that great either!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Love your new pic, Yooly!!!!
  • Yoolypr
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments, you make an old lady blush. Photo was taken last month at friends house.

avf0ihev28qh.jpeg

You could get a cauliflower crust from Costco or grocer and slap on your own chicken and Alfredo sauce. Maybe less cheese on it than store bought?

But then, boxed version was easy.
  • Yoolypr
    edited July 2022
    Options
    There are light Alfredo sauces available. Or make your own?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Might be an option you know (your own alfredo or light), one that I haven't explored. Way back when in the dim recesses of memory, more than 100 months ago :lol: I recall checking out pasta sauce and in one jar I had alfredo and in the other a simple tomato sauce. I walked away saying: "red sauce all the way baby" and never revisited the issue!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Posted homemade Alfredo recipe. A bit of fussing and whisking but good.
    Classico, Buitoni, Prego make decent jarred light Alfredos. Some are 1/4 cup under 100 cals. Worth a try and much quicker.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    1/4 under 100 sounds like way less work????😹 I did notice the amount of whisking!!!!