WaistAways Team Chat - SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    @Melissa0711 The group is a great place to chat about your goals and how things are going. Some people post daily or near daily and others mostly read posts for inspiration and post a little. We each post a weekly weigh in on whatever day you picked when you signed up. We compete with the other teams but it's pretty casual. We post the good and the bad and you can always ask for the week off. We have step team that is optional. If you go back to the first page of this chat you will see an introduction that will give you more detailed information. Glad you are here!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,093 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    My name is Melissa. I live in Spokane, WA and I’ve been working on my health and weight since last August. I’m glad to be part of this…if someone could just let me know what the expectations are that would be awesome I’m not exactly sure what I signed up for but I know I need the encouragement! I do great Mon-Friday at 5pm and then the weekend I don’t do so great! Wanting to get back on track and re focused!
    Hi Melissa - you signed up for plenty of encouragement! I am sure you will find others who struggle with weekends and can help you build up some strategies so that you don't have to outrun your weekends all week. That gets exhausting! I know that @ashleycarole86 works with a weekly calorie allowance so that there is some flexibility to have some days higher than others. Some people make sure to weigh in on Friday or Saturday so that a free day is possible and then back to the straight and narrow. Some weigh in on Mondays to try to rein in the weekends - there are all kinds of ideas, and hopefully you'll come up with a plan that works for you. It sometimes takes experimentation to figure out which ones don't work first, but you'll get there!

I think that most everything is explained on the first page of this chat, but go ahead and post all the questions you have if anything is not clear. It is pretty simple. Come here often, join in, get your teammates' voices in your head, and take advantage of the common purpose and energy. Weigh in on your chosen day every week, even if you don't think it is a "good" one. Track steps and/or exercise if you want to as well. Join the full F2F group challenges whenever there is one that looks helpful. Suggest anything you think is missing!
  • jugar
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @micki48 you and I both got back to Pilates today! I have been slacking lately, and I thought of you when I got on the mat today. I was very happy to see your green check mark. Good luck with the first day of school tomorrow :heart: and please find good homes for those pumpkin breads. They look WAY too tempting!
  • jugar
    Options
    I am struggling lately,
    my depression (despite be medicated and having a good support system) is making it so I no longer want to do things. My house is dirty because I can't find the energy to clean it, I've been living on chips and junk food since last Tuesday, I'm pondering quitting my master's and the gym. I've kind of reached the "what's the point stage" and it came on rather suddenly.

I've been reminiscing over my whole life and I've been overweight since I was thirteen. But I've been yo-yo-ing my whole adult life. And I haven't learned enough to stop that beyond restricting my eating severely, working out for two hours a day, and having no job, which is completely unrealistic.

My svelte husband just keeps telling me to buck up and exercise as much as possible. Meanwhile he doesn't exercise and has never had a weight problem. So I appreciate him trying to be encouraging but at the same time I know it's mostly about the food.

I'm at the point where I feel revulsion every time I look at myself in the mirror and I'm so tired of feeling this way. Just really tired in general
    My heart goes out to you Kellie. I know it is hard not to define yourself by your weight. "What's the point" is the perfect and natural reaction to food restriction and over-exercising. It sounds like you have people around you who love you, and a career you are developing, but you might need some professional help right now. Don't quit your master's or make other drastic changes - but see if you can find some solid help. In the meantime, you might want to listen to the podcast Maintenance Phase. Irreverent, funny, and great to help break the way of thinking that defines anyone overweight as defective somehow. I'm sure there are other sources out there, but the most important thing is to find good support beyond friends and family. A therapist with experience will have the tools. See also if you can eat some nourishing whole foods to break the junk and chips cycle. Plan out some meals without restricting or counting - just moving more towards "real" foods. I hope you'll feel better soon :heart:
  • jugar
    Options
    Heading into Tuesday - let's have numbers from:
    @Terytha
    @MoonlitMuse
    @Kali225

Thanks!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @kellie_erin I'm sorry you're having a tough time. It's OK to need space, and it's OK - good even - to take space. Whether that means hitting pause on the gym/masters, hiring a cleaner, joining the support team here or ordering one of those meal-kit-box thingies. You don't need our permission, but nobody here would think less of you.
  • DD265
    Options
    I woke up before my alarm this morning and desperately hoped it was 4-something so I could have another hour but alas. My hip/glute niggle appears to be resolved and I don't seem to have done any damage at the weekend, so it was a good training session. Lots of squats, then kettle bell swings touching feet together each time the kettle bell was in the air - hard work!

This evening I'm going to plant the berries. I had planned to wait until Sunday, but we're due so much rain that it'll do the job of watering in for me! There are a couple of small jobs I'd like to do at home, though my main focus is relaxing as I have the house to myself. Tea was supposed to be a breaded chicken fillet from the freezer but due to work meetings I changed lunch plans, so I'll use up the chicken & bacon I was meant to have with a salad.
  • DD265
    Options
    You'll be fab @conleywoods, have a great first day back!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    Exercise catchup:
    Sep 2 - 4581 steps + 61 minutes Peloton
    Sep 3 - 8438 steps
    Sep 4 - 14616 steps (thank you wedding dancing!) + 46 minutes exercise bike
    Sep 5 - 8778 steps
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    Just caught up on steps for the last week of the August challenge.
    Final call for @Kali225 @CupcakeCrusoe @MsMcClane and @ells_bellz
    If you have steps/exercise from Aug 28-Sep 3 to report, please send me those numbers today :)
    Thanks in advance!

I am driving home from Brandon, Manitoba today (well, Brad is currently at the wheel of course), and tomorrow we start the drive to BC - going as far as Kamloops. Lots of car time to catch up on here!
  • CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    @PlaneMonkey OMG, you are making me tired just thinking about 46 stairs :D You go girl!!
This discussion has been closed.