Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Look at those babies!

Grocery store is overflowing with produce right now - today is a chili making day. COuldn't resist the big bags of peppers and cartons of tomatoes and everything else. A friend is coming for dinner - and they are prepping for the Chicago marathon so is not at all worried about calories (though I'm afraid he is not getting enough) so tonight's version will be chili poutine - with some cheddar and sour cream. I'll go easy the rest of the day to keep this within my calorie allowance for the day. :)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Ooooh poutine. Food of the gods!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Quinoa with chickpeas, peppers and apricots today!

CqAGTmn.jpg

pO13bQH.jpg

I also had some cooked chicken deli meat in the fridge that was about to go bad..so I added it in. I regret nothing. :p
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    that quinoa dish looks amazing! What patience you have - those peppers are minced!!! Wow.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Fire roasted crushed tomatoes with rice and ground sirloin….mixed in some chili beans, peppers, and onion….for good measure I added three mini mozzerella balls….huge potion and filled me up not out!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    OMG Dante! Each meal gets better looking and more interesting than the last. The combinations of ingredients are so unexpected. I’m sure it’s just everyday food to you but very exotic to us across the big pond.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    We had tacos, cause it's Friday. This works for us.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I haven't had tacos in a long time...hhmmm...probably will be a long time before I have them again! I'll eat them vicariously through you, Alexandra. Try to have a meat free bite for me :)

Those tomatoes sound amazing, Connie.

I'm going to have a whole lot of green San Marzano type tomatoes soon. Temperature is dropping so fast here that they are not going to ripen. Any good green tomato recipes my fellow losers?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well there’s always fried green tomatoes. If done carefully shouldn’t be too calorific. Or pickled green tomatoes. Chop chunks and toss into leftover pickle juice.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Pickled might be good! A friend suggested roasted? It feels like it should be something magnificent since so much goes into getting these freakin' plants through the heat of summer :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I had a chef salad followed by a fruit salad for dinner….I was hot, sweaty, and tired!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds cool and nutritious, Connie. Perfect for a hot and sweaty day. Not sure about the tired - salads can be a bit to prepare!
  • Dante_80
    Options
    My butcher from time to time makes a pretty mean pancetta roll..I had to get some!

QGhn8jh.jpg

puw1xX7.jpg

Some saffron rice paired pretty well with it (first time I try this combination). Will have to do this again!
  • Yoolypr
    edited September 2022
    Options
    And this is why it’s called Food INSPIRATION! We deprived people in the states have a sad lack of real butcher shops. Grocery stores sell meats on styrofoam trays nicely shrink wrapped. Basic cuts. Specialties like pancetta rolls - nope 👎
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Subway????🙀😹😹😹
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Subway????🙀😹😹😹

I supposed cheap inspiration is better than none.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Dante - saffron rice. Homemade? Box version? Cheese and pepper flakes? Please share the recipe.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tonight I'll have some of the pasta sauce I made a few days ago. Haven't even tried it yet - just tucked 18 servings into the freezer :)
    ...on soybean pasta with a couple of veggie meatballs I think - and I think there is a chunk of parmigiana in the fridge still :)
  • Dante_80
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Dante - saffron rice. Homemade? Box version? Cheese and pepper flakes? Please share the recipe.

It's basic saffron rice, just added some shredded regato cheese and pepper flakes in the plate.

We produce a lot of crocus here (mainly in the Kozani area, the region is well known for it), so it is very easy to get a hold of some. I tend to use the threads in this one:

OxmQ8RFm.jpg

Saute some basmati rice in a little butter after rinsing and straining it (use some bay leaves for extra taste, remove them before cooking).
    Soak some crocus threads in warm water for five minutes and then add them to the rice.
    Use stock or water to cook in low heat, season appropriately.
    Keep the lid on and cook until the liquid is gone (I go for less than 2 to 1 cups liquid<->rice).
    Turn the heat off, put a towel on top and close the lid over it. Leave it for 10 minutes or so. This will make the rice more fluffy.

You can keep or discard the threads before serving.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    @Dante_80 you mean you don't use... MINUTE RICE?!?!?!!? :lol: