How many 🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰 did I eat?🙀

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sriracha shortage and a whole pile of crazy out there.

The already ridiculousy dear "mixed field greens" that I love are still available and not really increased in price - just not on sale lately. Perhaps because they are primarily greenhouse grown?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    The sriracha shortage is kind of interesting. The company owner couldn’t get sufficient quantities and quality of the required peppers due to drought in California. So rather than put out what he considered inferior product he cut back on production. Very honest and honorable!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    well.... I do like cabbage more than lettuce, so there's that! Of course baby greens are awesome... but always expensive for quantity! :wink:

Well... bunnies don't eat frozen cauliflower, do they? But I do!

570g of riced cauliflower (the big 2kg Costco bag that was within recent memory used as head ice pack.... and shin ice pack.... yup... it's past time it should be used as food! :hushed:)

660g of classico Florentine spinach and cheese... must have a tomato bunny or two in there plus a trace of some spinach!

and... 40g of pesto... so a trace of basil and garlic bunnies!

Must come up with a good name.... ah! Got it: Risotto speciale al forno a microonde

Boy, does that ever sound good now! :wink: Now to figure out whether to eat it by itself or next to something...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Beside one of those veggie sausages!!!!
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I have a salad recipe made of cabbage ... it's kind of a coleslaw ... The store I originally had it from called it Claremont Salad and another store I often shopped at called something very similar Health Salad. ... I asked the chef of the first store how to make it; and while he didn't give me a recipe, he told me what to do .. and it has become a family favorite for gatherings. I make it often for myself and it keeps well in the fridge for days and days. ... I use it as sandwich and meat patty 'burger' toppings, as a side, as a snack ...

You can use your knife skills for this recipe ... or a Mandoline food slicer, or your food processor to chiffonade the cabbage and thinly slice the other vegetables. The thinner the strips, the better the end result.

Nina’s Claremont Salad (Coleslaw)
    1/4 head green cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded thinly.
    1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 English cucumber, sliced thinly into rings, skin on
    1 long carrot, sliced thinly into rings
    1 small onion, sliced thinly into rings, rings separated
    1/3 - 1/2 sweet pepper, halved and thinly sliced (any color), optional
    1 rib celery, very thinly sliced, on a slight angle
    2 Tblsp neutral oil
    1/4 cup or champagne vinegar (or use rice vinegar, or plain distilled)
    1/2 - 1 tsp white sugar (if using distilled vinegar, otherwise you don't need it)
    Layer the vegetables into a large bowl as the vegetable is prepared, sprinkling the salt over the cabbage first. Make a dressing of the oil, vinegar, optional sugar, and drizzle over the vegetables in the bowl
    Toss well.
    Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Toss and serve.
    Stores well. Celery is optional.

PS .. it will have some liquid accumulate because the vegetables will give off a brine that will collect in the bowl as it sits in the fridge ... the more day sit sits, the wetter it gets. Just use a slotted spoon to serve it and let the brine drain back. Also the more salt you use, the more brine you'll end up with.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    bunnie land... just nuked a 500g bag of broccoli florets and added most of it into the bowl of nongshim kimchi flavoured noodles. The salt is insane yikes... glad blood pressure is still ok but!!! Whole thing about 500 Cal.

Nina's salad sounds super interesting! I tend to buy "three colour" coleslaw mix which has shredded green cabbage, highlighted by shredded red cabbage and carrots. I add onions and tomatoes often. Sometimes capers or olives. I've not tried with cucumber/peppers/celery. So it looks interesting :smiley: One thing that surprised me used as I am to either vinegar or mayo based slaw was adding fresh LEMON instead of vinegar! (Thank you CCCGG)!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Watch out bunnies!….I left you alone the past few months….I got lazy and didn’t feel like chasing you and butchering you up or cooking you….Ha!….I bought a new chopper and my fridge is full of veggies 🥗….so watch out because I am coming for you!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You go Connie!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Let’s see….today I had corn,black beans,tomato sauce,canned diced tomatoes,a half green pepper,a half red pepper,…..I think that was it….car is back so I can forage tomorrow for fresh foods!
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    With that list of veggies it doesn’t sound like you need to forage much!!

I do wish that I liked vegetables. Things would be so much easier if I could just eat a salad
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Ha, scouting mom! you may want to read back to discover many bunnies that are far from salads! Most of my bunnies tend to be previously frozen in actual fact!
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You misunderstand PAV. I don’t like hardly any vegetables that aren’t of the starch variety. Corn, green beans and peas are about it. I keep hoping that my taste buds will change but alas still opposed to anything remotely healthy. There is a definite reason in where I am!
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    Options
    So British guidelines exclude potatoes and "vegetables used as starches" from consideration as vegetables. Given that we are on a calorie counting site, however, one questions if this is a legit move.

The humble potato (a vegetable known to test in multiple experiments as highly satiating for the calories) has no real reason to be excluded -- depending on what else has been added to it while it was cooking. Even when compared to a sweet potato or a yam that has a "better reputation"... well, looking at nutritional values per 100g one has to wonder WHY. Because I don't see it.

But lets set aside for a minute healthy and unhealthy reputations.

The discussion here is not the micronutrients that are in vegetables (and of course micronutrients DO exist in vegetables, they are good to have and if you're finding yourself eating 5 to 10 portions of vegetables and fruits a day you're more likely than not to have better health outcomes... when looking at things from a population as opposed to an individual's perspective). So yeah... 5 to 10 x 85g portions of vegetables a day are wonderful for that. BUT, more importantly for us, veggies are a nice way to add bulk with good value for the calories we're spending on them!

Bulk and satiation! As cheap (in calories) as we can get it for! Woohoo!

Now you mentions corn and peas. And starchy vegetables which I will assume are potatoes. Unless you mean cassava or plantain--something that would surprise me but hey, why not if that's how you roll!

The only reason I avoid eating as much corn, and choose GREEN BEANS more often... is because corn is higher in calories. But, peas actually, are pretty good when it comes to protein (for vegetables). Albeit still slightly high in calories for me given that I pop open 500g bags for the day.

But YOU have a SECRET WEAPON! Them lowly green beans that are still on your approved list.

These beauties rank straight down in the bottom of the list for calories... so you can mix them in with any of the above higher cal corns and peas and potatoes to increase total quantity without going through the roof in calories!

And boy oh boy is mashed potato with corn and peas (and green beans for calories) and a bit of gravy sort of yummy... and can create a nice lump in my tummy.... without going overboard in terms of calories if I don't lay in the cream and butter. (greek yogurt? laughing cow jalapeno? nothing other than strategic amounts? garlic powder or sriracha?)

So instead of looking at it along the lines of "I don't like salads or I don't like veggies"... what exactly is wrong with ADDING a nice side dish with potatoes and peas and even corn or green beans covered in some pasta sauce and with some sharp (so you can use less of it) cheese to whatever else you were going to eat? Warmed up and ready to go? Or some other weird combination :smile:

I am not saying give up something.... just ADD some of the veggies YOU ALREADY LIKE :wink:

Many of the ladies here (and especially Connie who doesn't even let her veggies touch each other :lol:) may have more "normal" ideas of what you do with veggies. My cooking ideas have been, err, known to be frowned upon by some!

But your list of veggies is not nearly zero!

True... if you deep fry your potatoes... well, yeah. There might be issues with the total calories.

But we do have some quite interesting potato salad recipes floating around using greek yogurt and yellow mustard... just saying.

And you didn't say anything about fruit... have you had an ambrosia apple lately? :smiley:

That said... no obligation!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Bunnies: About 1/3 of long ago logged 1.3kg of then recently expired bagged tri color coleslaw dumped into a pot with about 200g red onions, a 200g apple, 450g of baby potatoes and 300g of spicy sicilian sausages plus various spices and seasonings... I am going from memory here so I could be out in terms of exact numbers. All in through started with over 2.1kg of fruits and veggies, so consuming 1/3 clearly exceeds EIGHT BUNNIES for the day--and I am claiming them!

🐰🐰🐰 🐰🐰🐰 🐰🐇🐇
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Not sure the number of bunnies, but I did pretty good yesterday! Well, compared to a week ago at least haha.

Breakfast: Had a banana on top of my cereal 🐰
    Lunch: Ordered in a burrito bowl that included romaine, extra fajita veggies, and pickled veggies. Plus beans! 🐰🐰🐰🐰
    Dinner: Cabbage and turkey smoked sausage. A lot of cabbage. I love cabbage. 🐰🐰
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Good bunny boosting post, PAV! Green Beans...I ran out of my French cut green beans and just had a friend pick me up some from the fancy store :) Pasta sauce, veggie meatballs and some parmigiana Reggiano on those babies....mmmmm....soon. French cut green beans as pasta - still one of my favourite meals.

I love cabbage too, Athijade. Found a head of "flat" cabbage (I know there are other names - but that is the only one I remember because it looks flattened) last week - it is waiting for me in the fridge. Perhaps that should become dinner tonight and tomorrow!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am lucky that I like almost all fruits and vegetables but unless I am dieting, I usually skip them!…I either do it all or nothing!…( crazy, huh? )

Scoutmom, I love peas and corn and green beans….I do like my mashed potatoes with green peas….I love beans, too….I put diced onions in my tuna salad and in my side veggies like green beans….sweet potatoes are a great side….
  • Athijade
    Options
    I forgot how much I actually enjoy raw veggies dipped in some sort of dip. Crunchy, refreshing, filling... just works out so well.

Been spending a bit more money to buy pre prepped veggies and fruits because I am so much more likely to eat them that way. Luckily my food budget can easily absorb the cost and I figure that spending more and eating it is better then spending less and letting it go to waste.
  • Athijade
    Options

I love cabbage too, Athijade. Found a head of "flat" cabbage (I know there are other names - but that is the only one I remember because it looks flattened) last week - it is waiting for me in the fridge. Perhaps that should become dinner tonight and tomorrow!

My favorite way to make cabbage is roasted with a bit of oil, salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. Roast it until just soft and charred. Sometimes I will make a batch ahead of time to eat with eggs and potatoes. Soooooooo good.

I wonder how that would work in a breakfast burrito...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I enjoy roasted cabbage too - and find I can get away with salt, pepper, finely chopped garlic and no oil - it is delicious!