Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    @quilteryoyo - yes, my ortho told me a while back that I should keep it under 5 miles because of the arthritis in my knee (from an old injury not from running). Basically said I will need a replacement eventually and then likely won't be able to run any longer. Running longer, running HMs, etc. will just speed up the process and likely result in action needed sooner than later. So if I run a bit less for each run now, I should be able to run for longer (more years) if that makes sense.
    @Avidkeo - The IUD makes much more sense! I was worried something was seriously wrong πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈEnjoy your time off and visit with your friend!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @shanaber That does make sense. I'm sorry you have the arthritis and hope you can avoid surgery for a long time. I would think that the run/walk method would help that too.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @quilteryoyo oh I may not have posted here. He got a job in June, executive officer for Bowls Taranaki. Bowls being a sport. And taranaki being our region.
  • Avidkeo
    So i decided I needed a diet break foe a day yesterday. I just ate what I wanted, tracked for an idea but not stress about it. It was almost 3 weeks of deficit eating and I was feeling a bit blah. And I ate some pretty high calorie stuff I would normally not have. It was nice having the break and reminded me why I'm doing things the way I'm doing it.

Today was back on the plan, and I struggled to eat enough. Which was nice, in that I didn't jump straight to indulging all the time. Yay. So I'm counting yesterday in my streak, as it was intentional. So 21 days so far, yay
  • quilteryoyo
    Great job with your eating plan @Avidkeo . I think we do need a break from stick eating every once in a while. So glad you were able to do that and then get right back with it today! You're doing great.
  • Avidkeo
    Non running day today, instead a big hike to a local tarn that is a beautiful reflecting spot for our mountain. I managed an almost perfect postcard picture
    5cv9pbexavr7.jpg

h5qnuduhemhy.jpg

To think In March last year I made it to the summit of that mountain!

Today was about 2600 feet of vert. Not running lol but the first 2hrs my heart rate was at a decent rate! It was a fantastic hike, and we are already making plans for our next trip - in 2025. My friends want to do the summit but sadly the weather didn't play nice this trip - you can see the clouds coming over!

So tomorrow will be a rest day and back to plan the next day.

Loving this holiday
  • quilteryoyo
    Beautiful @Avidkeo ! That photo is postcard perfect and would make a great jigsaw puzzle. You're looking fantastic too. Too bad you didn't get to summit the mountain. Glad you are enjoying your vacation!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning folks!

Another week!

@shanaber I have been going back and forth on new habits...was thinking of downloading some sort of habit tracker...IDK. I have also been waffling between if I am still "justified" to be easy on myself or I need to get my ish together already LOL. I have not been drinking enough water so I did start drinking a 12 oz cup first thing in the AM.

@avidkeo That view is stunning!

Things are moving on as usual. 196 days till my last day of work!

It rained all weekend and everything is fine on the ranch...the weeds are crazy though. The truck batteries were dead again and needed a jump. I think it is getting to be time to replace them since they can't go more than 10 days without being started. Lots of flooding in town and a major sink hole in a neighborhood nearby, I think they said it damaged 100 homes either with flooding or structural. We now have the issue that most of our trees are eucalyptus and they are shallow roots and they are falling over left and right.

No news on the property split. We are waiting for a proposal from the surveyor for the work the county wants done to the maps. On a good note, the expensive smart tax lady said I can claim on these fees against my capital gains tax.

I am going to email the architect today and tell him we are good to go on the plans. There is only one area I am concerned about and that is the master bath "water closet" I am not sure there is enough space to open/close the door without having to straddle the toilet...I am hoping it is just a perspective issue on paper. The other thing someone brought up is our kitchen is not "feng shui" and it is "bad luck" to have the kitchen sink in the island. DH decided he was fine with the bad luck to make the kitchen more step efficient. Next step is engineering.

Black cat is eating more with the help of an appetite increaser; his appt is next week finally. Grey cat is having a tough time. Doubling the diuretic does not seem to have done much, some days he looks better other days he has a pot belly. His breathing is very huffy too. He was sitting on my lap this morning and I can feel his poor heart pounding...made me wonder if I am seeing his heartbeat and not his breathing. His heart is so enlarged it could be I guess...I also noticed it has some arrhythmia. I feel like we have progressed to the next stage of heart failure...it is so hard seeing him decline. He still doesn't know it yet though LOL...sassy as ever!

Well, lots of admin queep to do. Off to it.

• quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Glad you didn't have any significant damage. Feel so bad for those that have. Glad the cats are holding their own too. Less than 200 days to retire! Yipee!
  • shanaber
    @Avidkeo - That hike looks magnificent and the pictures - wow! You could have the one made into a print (Amazon maybe) to be framed. It is gorgeous!
    I don't deny myself foods. If I want a cookie, a piece of chocolate or a burger I have it but I don't allow myself to eat crazy portions though. I did get way off track this holiday period though just really eating all the wrong things over and over. So now I have reined it in and am back on track, mostly again.

@CMorning99 - I am glad everything was mostly ok at the ranch after all the rain. The falling trees are such a big issue. We haven't had any in our neighborhood fall but a friend in Long Beach had several come down along their street - also eucalyptus. I have heard another issue with all the trees is that the drought has caused the roots to recede making them more susceptible to falling. Glad the kitties are hanging on. It is so hard as they get older and can't really tell you what is wrong or how they feel. Love that grey cat is still sassy though!

I got in to see the podiatrist today. I have a bunion that has gotten really sore and an ingrown toenail on the same big toe. The nail will get fixed in March after we go on vacation with friends and family. The fix for the bunion is surgery. The surgery sounds intense and has a 3-4 month recovery before I will be able to run again. The first month I am not allowed to even walk on it. There isn't anything else they can do to fix it or alleviate the pain/discomfort and it will continue to worsen. Interestingly it is pretty much all caused by genetics. He also said the pronation I experience with that foot is from the deformation of that bone and joint. I am very conscious of my foot turning out and try to keep it straight especially when I run. I also suspect that it may be the imbalance impacting my hip and knee on the opposite side. I'm thinking about pushing the surgery off to the summer when I really don't like to run in the heat so much.
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber So sorry to hear that you are going to need surgery to get rid of the bunion and have to NOT run for 3 months! That sounds like a lot, but I guess they don't want stress on it until it completely heals. I don't blame you for putting it off until it's overbearingly hot. Will you be able to bike or any thing for exercise the first month? Hobbes is not going to be happy that he isn't going to get his long walks in. I have a feeling that you are right about the imbalance impacting your hip and knee on the other side. I hope it doesn't bother you too much until you get it fixed.
  • shanaber
    @quilteryoyo - I am going to have to ask about other exercise. The 1st month they don't want me to put any weight or pressure on it. I am guessing I will have crutches or one of those knee scooter things. I told my DH that he was going to have to be taking Hobbes out for walks at least around the neighborhood. That I think will be a silver lining - getting him up and moving! He also joked that it is going to drive me crazy not to be able to get out (he is not wrong) and that I could have Hobbes pull me around the neighborhood with the knee scooter πŸ˜‚ I do hope I can figure out something so I don't lose absolutely all of my conditioning - not that I have much now... I also don't want to gain a massive amount of weight not being able to workout at all.
    I am struggling. I want to be able to run without feeling like I am dieing. Today just made me want to cry. I thought it was going to be great, had it all planned out and my legs felt like I had run a marathon and nothing was left and I have no idea why. I think about how much I used to run, 10ks and HMs without stopping or even walking. I know I will never get back to the paces I had before but I would like to get back to even just getting a couple of miles in without needing to stop.
    Sorry guys - just feeling really frustrated...
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Big hugs to you. I feel your frustration. I think sometimes our legs just say, enough. Usually after I have one of those days, the next one is a lot better. I hope that is the same for you. Is the pacemaker still limiting your level of exercise? I know this doesn't really help, but you have had a lot going on with you lately and I am amazed that you are doing what you do. On a brighter note, I hope your DH will get out and take Hobbes for his walks and get the exercise bug after a month of doing it. And, I could see you getting some sort of sled or bike and have Hobbes pull you along. I have a friend that is into, I think they call it land mushing. Their dogs pull them along on bikes and they have competitions. Not sure Hobbes would be up to learning that new trick though. Most of those dogs are husky mix, I think. Anyway, I hope you are feeling a bit better today and enjoying your day away from home.
  • CMorning99
    Good afternoon!

Friday check in.

@shanaber I like your plan to wait till it is hot...that is going to be a long month though for sure! I have a referral in for a podiatrist as well, I need to call next week.

I had the office to myself and had hoped for a quiet week with music and steady pace. What I got was a hectic pace and ALL the problems LOL. I tried to play music but I was using so many brain cells I had to turn it off, it was annoying.

I signed the contract with the civil engineer to do the report for the county on if my driveway is up to "spec"...whatever that means. My agent suspects I will have to do something since the driveway was put in 20 years ago and things change. Estimating another $10K. Also need to add a bunch of stuff to the parcel map (utilities, roads, easements)...I feel like that is the county's job? Alas I have to need to have that done as well and all the surveyors in the area are swamped so they couldn't even give me a timeframe when they could be done. I am now starting to think we may be able be done my Apr/May and sell in June. That pushes the house build out a bit more too...maybe Aug/Sep. I really hope I have some more clarity by the time it comes to have to rent.

Work was tough, so many problems I want to fix but lack guidance, time, and skill...I am working on staying positive. I caught myself complaining a few times this week and I don't need to be doing that. 112 work days left.

No exercise, no walks. I think food was better, I definitely thought before I ate anything. I am sure it is a small difference and so much too soon to see if I am losing and stopped gaining.

Well, the day is wrapping up and I need to do my weekly report to pass on since I am out Monday.

• Avidkeo
    Hey

Hugs @shanaber for needing surgery. It looks like a challenging one.

I basically took this week off. Wasn't able to run as I was with the kids alone for the rest of the week, and my calf muscles were so sore after the hike I wasn't able to anyway. So finally got out today for. 6.5k run.

I've started a Hal Higdon plan. Should be fun.

I'm not gpi to mention food. Let's just say too much of it lol
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 Seems like every time you turn around you are having to fork out more money and get more things done before you can build the house. What did they find out about the legless lizard? Sorry your week was stressful instead of peaceful, but.....112 and counting down. It'll be here before you know it.

@Avidkeo What Hal Higdon plan are you doing? Do you have a race you are getting ready for? If you've already said somewhere, sorry I forgot. I hope you had fun with the kids. Sounds like your legs have recovered nicely.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @shanaber ugh, sorry about the surgery but I agree your plan for when it's hot is a good idea!

I was supposed to do a 5k yesterday but DH gave me a cold. I felt off on Friday but chalked it up to being tired and having a mammogram appt at 8 am. Woke up Saturday feeling like death. Same on Sunday. Today? Feel fine energy wise, just a bit congested.

I am thinking about bringing my podcast back but doing 2 short pods a month (like the track workout ones I did with 4 quick tips or thoughts) and then if there's a topic I want to expand on and if I have time for can do a longer one. I've been doing shoe reviews very slowly on YouTube but not all topics work well for video.

Any topics you'd think would work for short podcasts? I'm planning to record a handful and start releasing again in maybe March or April. Figure if I have enough for a month or two will be easier to keep up with.

I clearly have a problem with wanting to do too much in too many areas πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
  • quilteryoyo
    @RunsOnEspresso So sorry DH gave you a bad cold. Glad you are feeling better. I can't really help you with the podcast thing, because I don't do them or listen to them, but your plan seems like a good one. I have the same problem you do with trying to do too many things.
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

Another weekend gone!

@quilteryoyo So I guess the legless lizard is lizard with barely any back legs...IDK. They are in the county but more inland in the hotter areas...my agent said it is very unlikely we have them. You have to do have a person come out no earlier than 30 days prior to breaking ground to see if you have them. So that requirement was N/A for now but he said to make sure we get after weeds and brush to deter any critters.

The weekend was nice, DH even went to run errands with me. Is it bad I can't for the life of me remember what we did though LOL! Sunday was a typical day of me thrifting and then I came home and did a quick grocery trip and chores.

We should hopefully get the report on the driveway in 2 weeks. I already reached out to my builder to see if he was available for work if they required it. I looked at the county drawings of what is required and it doesn't look like I will have to do much to my untrained eye. I also got the proposal for the map adjustments - $4K for that. This reminds me I need to dig through all my emails and start a folder for next years taxes.

Black cat had his oncology appt yesterday. He has lost another pound. The Doc is not sure what it is yet. Could be his cancer has become tolerant of his current chemo and we need to change it. Or it is his kidney disease. She is waiting on some lab reports today to see if she can make the call. But the good news is that his cancer has not upgraded to large cell and she said his intestines look good. He does have some inflammation in his stomach though which she said could be kidney related. She also said his kidneys look pretty rough and wants him to see an internal medicine doc. The visit cost us $1600.

Today I have my rheumatology appt. IDK how it will go. I took the rest of the day off after since the appt is at 1030 and an hour away. I was going to go get the truck batteries checked/changed but it seems my Mom's mechanic retired without telling me. I will just have to take it an O'Reilly's or somewhere.

I was watching one of my fav Youtubers who I really relate with. She was talking about how she fell out of love with running after being a very successful college runner. She said for the longest time she didn't want to lace up again because she kept comparing herself to her old self. She said "I don't want to put on my nike vaporflys if I am not going to be good". That hit home so hard. What is the point of running if I am not good LOL. I even told my Mom when I was a kid "I don't want to do anything unless I am naturally good". She was also talking about her body dysmorphia, she is not built like an typical elite runner, she is 5'10" and sturdy. She recommended the Intuitive Eating book...which I had bought years ago. I looked and they have a new edition and it comes with a workbook and journal. I bought all three.

So this week I am working on hunger cues. Eat when I am hungry and stop when I am not. In the book it talks about types of eaters and I am between an emotional eater and a chaos eater. DH saw the chaos one and pointed out...I am chaos LOL. He is right, I thrive in chaos...I feel alive in chaos. Yeah...so I guess I still have some work to do on chilling the heck out.

• Avidkeo
    Hey all

I'm doing Hal intermediate 1. I was going to do the novice plan but it was too easy. I'm training for a HM at the moment nd of the June, so right now it's just base building. Lots of hill repeats and tempo runs etc. Loving it. Though not looking forward to the hills this morning!

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Going to the city to see Elton John in concert! Catching up with my best friend and giving her a gift I've been working on for a few months
    3oyffauv7xus.jpg
    07jry29ijuq6.jpg

She loves owls.