Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    I did, I did. Came in at just over 1400 for the day :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Work lunches I've been packing, calling them big Mac bowls:

Lean ground beef Crumbles seasoned with salt/pepper/garlic blend, slice of good melty American cheese, 10g thousand island dressing, 10g mustard, finely diced onion and pickle. I add the pickles and onions after microwaving. The melted cheese/condiments makes a nice coating for and then the crunch of the cold pickle and onion throughout.

I also tossed some diced bacon there, though I know that's not on a big Mac, lo.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,594 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Ok flying Nic @nicsflyingcircus, I got the base and it sounds remarkably accurate. But you said bowl. Is there any salad, or lettuce, or slaw in there? Are you going for full on correspondence or just general "like" result? 🤔
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    But they often involve some vegetable matter :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    It’s been un-naturally hot the past two days. 90 degrees yesterday... so I’ve had cereal and yogurt for dinner. And a banana. Tomorrow should be much cooler so maybe soup? Cause soup weather will be gone soon.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Can't imagine, Yooly. I spent two hours shovelling 4 inches of snow atop 1 inch of ice today...just to have another sprinkle of rain to make everything glassy.
    90 degrees seems unimaginable!

I had yesterday's planned dinner today. Freezer pasta sauce (more like sauteed veggies and beans) served on the Liviva rice shaped shirataki with oat fibre :) Lots of food for less than 300 calories - and really quite delicious. The shirataki rice doesn't taste like anything - what is especially important is it doesn't taste as fishy as it smells when you open the bag!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    strong tasting and smelling sauce! :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Twas such a pleasure! Now I've gotten over my weirdness with those shirataki beasties I'm really appreciating them.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am having some asian bowls...

Rice, Amylu Teriyaki and pineapple chicken meatballs, some frozen asian vegetable mix, and extra teriyaki sauce. Not fancy, but it sounds good for sure!
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 2023
    Options
    That does sound good, Athijade.

Tonight I plan to live it up a bit. This week has seen some pretty high deficits and though I've been pleased with the scale I know I'm treading dangerous territory. So my calorie goal for today is 1600 and tonight's supper is freezer chili with 75g of cottage cheese (a little wink here for our friend Connie who I hope is here :) ) all dressed up with some sriracha PLUS four cheemo peirogies that I found lurking beneath the veggies in the freezer and 20g of sour cream :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    @PAV888 No lettuce, though I've done big mac salads that way in the past, using shredded cheese vs super melty American. That's more of a cold dish though and I was feeling hot meals this week.

I did have veggies but that's not an exciting "meal idea" lol.

I think next week I am doing something similar, but Taco style.

Cooked ground beef crumbles well seasoned with taco mix (I use a spice only mix, no starches in it) with American again for the melt factor, then some garlic hot sauce, pico De gallo, some sour cream etc. I love Taco salads but just haven't been feeling cold meat lately.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    And 1600 is still a pretty solid deficit for you Laurie, isn't it? Have you tried greek yogurt in place of cottage cheese and sour cream? Or do you find it to be too many calories for what it does for you?
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yes - 1600 is pretty good - yesterday I had somewhere around 3400 calories available for the day - but that was a pretty special day :) I've been eating in the 12something-14something range many days this month - and that is going well, but today is calling for more.

I don't really like the Greek yoghurt on hot food - I know you aren't fond of cottage cheese - but I actually like it - and especially on hot food :) The protein is pretty comparable to Greek yoghurt. Today's sour cream is a full out treat :) I'm pretty low on fat most days so I'm fine with that side of it and I have room for the calories - and it speaks to my Eastern European roots :wink:

Greek yoghurt is an almost daily end of day "snack" for me :) with blueberries and walnuts.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yesterday's splurge meal was such a dissappointment :( ended up throwing the last four perogies out because they didn't give me half as much pleasure as I anticipated - certainly were not worth the calories.

I think this month of pretty clean eating has altered my taste buds a bit...which is a good thing...but I will miss those moments of meal time bliss with some of my old favourites :) not as much as I'll enjoy being much lighter on my feet though!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Actually not going through to eat something that's not worth the calories just because it's there is a major nsv in my books
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing ok!

Gathered at my Mothers today for the last day of the Greek Carnival Season. We had another batch of my uncles' ram, this time with red tomato sauce and pasta.

pzHmzhW.jpg

The trick here is to use thick tubular pasta with holes on the inside, like the one we use in dishes like Παστίτσιο. That way, you make sure that the pasta absorbs as much of the sauce as possible. <3

izf9K3V.jpg

pZc0DvA.jpg

Together, we got a pretty basic salad..albeit full of garlic, as it should!

6wLJg3O.jpg

PtoYjPa.jpg

And for dessert, my sister in law made an incredible two-tone halva, using some chocolate in the mix for the bottom layer! Man, that was very, very good! :)

E5J4nsf.jpg

Tomorrow, we enter the Lent period. So shrimps it is!~
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing Dante!!

I am getting back on plan today. Even with having breakfast out and a treat of a chocolate frosted donut. Tonight I am FINALLY making the Asian meatball bowl!

Also this week is pot roast, a salmon and veggie bowl, and Thai coconut chicken. Also working on my next meal plan!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Will I admit to being SLIGHTLY jelly @Dante_80 ? POSSIBLY! :blush: Looks awesome of course!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bucatini pasta and roast lamb - a thing of beauty. And the salad and cake!

I am always inspired by the simplicity of Dante’s meals. Fresh ingredients, not much processed food. Each part of the meal retains its integrity. And balance ....

You can now go into Lent a happy man.