Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that the shingles is hitting you so hard @shanaber . I hope your recovery is on the faster side. Hopefully being in good shape will help your body fight it off.

I haven't heard from my cardiologist yet, but did see the test results from the stress echo I had last week. There were no abnormalities found. That's good, but still no answers. Things are getting better on their own. Makes me wonder if it is a long term affect of CoVID.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    JH interview tomorrow. I was fine until talking to my violin teach about it. she got excited. dd got excited ... now i have nervous poos. they admit 25 students. I have an interview... I have an interview-- mantra. I have an interview...

please feel free to drop last minute suggestions. What coulor of shirt should I wear? should I wear a bit of make up? I dont own any but bought 65$ worth... just in case. a person should not get this nervous.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@shanaber Yeah, I am trying to get it all done! Thankfully my PA is great and will do whatever I ask with little justification LOL We might go your route for dental. I was looking at all the plans and they aren't that great. $50 for 2 people and all that is fully covered is cleanings and 1 xray a year. After that for major work they cover about half, unless you upgrade to the $80 a month plan, then they cover bout 65%. DH is going to check his company plan, he thinks it might be $30 a month for basic. We don't have any dental issues so that might be a plan to just put the money away, how much does a cleaning cost? I can imagine shingles would feel like being sick, it is a virus. Hopefully you are the downhill side of it running it's course.

So updates:

Ranch: Nothing LOL Hopefully we get the public works engineering report soon. Plans for the house are with the structural engineer till mid Apr. While I am impatient, it is kind of nice to have nothing to do.

Critters: Oof, we are hemorrhaging money right now on these guys. Grey cat had his follow up for his fluid in his lungs, Vet said they look better but he has a lot of "weirdness" in his lungs between remaining fluid and inflammation. We had a long talk about our way forward. I love her, she is so creative and really works hard to treat them. All his blood work came back great though! Even his kidney values improved. Of course the next day he started vomiting and dry heaving and hasn't really eaten in 3 days. But we are pros at that and he is slowly coming around again. Feb totals: $300. Black cat had chemo yesterday, he got a B+ on how he handled it. He lost another 1/4 pound and he is 1/2 pound from "oh *kitten*" weight. Again, another fantastic doctor and we had long talks and she said clinically he can have another dose but we need to work on getting him to eat, kidney diet be damned. She thinks it may take a couple doses. He was super perky for 1 week after the first dose and then became lethargic. So she hopes this time we can make it 2 weeks and it will show the chemo is working. Feb totals $900. We also had a horse go down (did I ever mention there are 2 left on the ranch?) They are super old and not really adoptable. One of them is a choker and he choked so that was an ER after hours vet visit. Cost: TBD.

Me: My PA called me 3 days after my MRI, usually they call to schedule and appt to discuss, but he called directly. I have 3 vertebra (C5-7) that have slipped. Explains a lot actually. I guess my stiff sore neck has not been stress and the sensation issues also in my hands are a C7-8 issue. I already have an appt with ortho. Also got all my blood work from rheum. I was negative on all the big markers for obv rheum issues. She also ran pretty much EVERY inflammatory test out there and I am in the high normal range for a bunch of autoimmune markers. Also interestingly, my kidney function is just below normal which I think has happened before. I have an appt with her today to see what she thinks. Might be time to clean up my diet LOL.

Reselling: Sales are picking up, sucks being at the mercy of technology. While black cat was at his chemo, I drove about 40 min south to another Goodwill outlet in SoCal. It was bigger but oof, it was at the pro level LOL. When the new bins came out the ladies (who all reached about my shoulder) would just push you out of the their way. One lady just leaned on me to try and push me and then grabbed everything that was in front of me. At lunch, all the taco trucks arrived. IDK what they do with the stuff, maybe swap meet sellers...that is big business for the immigrant community. I spent about 2 hours there and I got about 20 items, but oof, it was hard work and stressful. IDK if that will be a place on my rotation. Next appt I am going to go a bit further south to another one, hopefully it is better.

Good news, DH mentioned to a coworker we were looked for a place and they gave our name to someone who is looking for a short term renter. We don't have all the details yet on how long the lease would be or the rent amount, but fingers crossed it is not crazy high rent and for 1 year! If we can get it, we would move in May...so that would give us until Apr 24 to have the house built and approved for occupation.

Food/diet? Yeah, nothing.

Well, best get to it! Have a good week!

• swenson19d
    Options
    Hi ALL!!!! My JH interview update.

Felt connected and enjoyed the time with the interviewer. The process is round 1 (selection) which goes to round 2 (duh) the interview. Then on to 3 where final decisions are made to make an offer. I am being forwarded on to 3... er, she said so... I have nothing in writing... ruh roh. nah, surely she wasn't PMD. <--DD-ism. think she got it from RuPaul... anyway. I have not been productive the rest of the day, since the interview.

I have a "congratulations on your acceptance" from Medical City of South Carolina's (MUSC) financial aid department. I really expected an interview. Not, "pay up". They have until Monday to contact me properly.

I expect to hear from JH within 3 weeks. Nothing from OU or Uni of Kentucky (after interview. rate that one a 5/10). U of K i wouldnt take unless I had no other offers. MUSC and OU cost about the same. except OU is much closer. So... OU best get on it, cuz I wont pass up JH.

Ive gotten so fat that none of my nice tops fit. thank goodness for the cool weather and an appropriate sweater. The diet is real now.

Hope everyone is well!
    My pre-interview pic to DD, "do i look normal? too much makeup?"
    uq2qz75fv8oe.jpeg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - I am so excited about your JH interview and that it went so well!! You look terrific in the picture and no your makeup looks great. Actually looks like you had it done. Did DD help or did you do it all yourself?

@CMorning99 - Vet costs are SO high. When Hobbes hurt his paw and had x-rays it was so expensive. $400 for the x-rays plus $75 for the visit. I love our vet though and appreciate all they do for us. We have been going there since we moved into our house in the 80's and she was brand new. I was also reading that there is a veterinarian shortage in the US. Mostly because of the high cost of the schooling and not as much payback as for a medical degree. CA is looking at some kind of loan forgiveness for vets who work in shelters and underserved communities. I really think the vet 'industry' needs to look at acceptance rates and available public schools. They have limited themselves for so long by having so few public vet schools available and then limiting the acceptance rates. For many kids they end up going to a private vet school and paying really high tuition.

I am doing a bit better. The shingles rash is mostly all gone so now it is just dealing with the weird nerve pain. Most of the achiness is gone but sometimes the area itches, sometimes there is stabbing or cramping pain and other times it feels like bugs or worms crawling on me. The Neurontin seems to be helping some with all of that so I think I am finally on the down side of it all even if it takes a couple more weeks to completely go away. I did get out yesterday for a good, long (6.4mi) fast walk. It was cold (for us) 55F feels like 48F and the wind was howling. I think if the wind hadn't been blowing it would have actually been nice. It looked beautiful out and I went with just a light hoody and the wind went right through it. A normal person would have stopped back at home and changed but I kept thinking if I walked faster I would warm up 😂
    For most of the rest of the week and through the weekend it is supposed to be really cold and rainy. It is 10am here and only 45F out and has been raining off and on. It is supposed to get to 50F but I have my doubts.
    @CMorning99 - are you getting lots of rain or even snow up your way?
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @shanaber We didn't get snow, there was a light dusting about 30 miles inland though in the foothills. Today (Friday) we are getting a good amount of rain, but nothing like Jan. We still have a lot of trees falling though, eucs and pines.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I'm glad the animals are hanging in there, even if they are costing you the big bucks. Sounds like you have great vets working with you. And, I don't think you had ever mentioned that there were 2 horses at the farm. If you had, I forgot. Dental is something that I keep looking at, but never do. I add up the dollars and decide, unless something major happens, I would be losing money if I had the insurance. My 6 month visits are typically around $150 or less. Fingers crossed that the house rental works out for you.

Congratulations @swenson19d ! So excited that your interview went well. You look great in the photo and it sure doesn't look like you have gained weight!

@shanaber Glad to hear that the shingles are getting better, even though the lingering symptoms sound horrible. I hope you feel better and better every day.

Sorry I haven't checked in this week. It's been a tough one...super busy a couple of days and tummy issues Tuesday night that made me sleep on the couch to be closer to the bathroom. LOL At least I lost a couple of pound that night. Usually, I'm the same and it really makes me mad. If I'm going to lose all of that stuff (diarrhea), I should at least be lighter the next morning. I just didn't sleep good most of the week either, which made exercising hard, but I did get something done everyday.

When I weighed myself this morning (I did gain back that weight, so it was all water) I realized something. Over the last year I have gradually put on about 10 pounds...going up a little, down a little, up a little more, etc. But, I have been within a pound of the same weight all the month of Feb and actually down a little. I'm thinking that I'm like a car. You're headed in one direction, but before you can put it in reverse, you have to come to a stop. So, I'm hoping this is my stopping place and I can get the gear shift into reverse and start heading in the right direction. I am currently at 153.2 pounds. My goal is to be back to at least 140 by the end of the year. I think I can do that, if I start watching just a little bit of what I eat.

It's rainy here today, so will be cleaning house and doing a treadmill run. I hope you all have a great weekend and I'll try to check in more often.
  • swenson19d
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @shanaber No I did the face paint myself. After the fact, DD weighed in (she was busy at work) and said the colors were good. The lip paint is a bit too pink really, but zoom it was fine to have some additional contrast. Thanks for the support. Tell them to hurry up and "LET ME IN" lil pig!

The day of the interview, We had several blue jays in the front tree. We usually have cardinals and little birds, chickadees and such. I thought it was odd. Just before bed I thought "if after i get the offical acceptance, I'm buying a Hopkins sweatshirt to wear proudly" so I looked online. You know the mascot is a blue jay? ooohhh I hope it is ACCEPTANCE. LOL! I check my email 15 times a day... I need to chill.

@quilteryoyo Seem the weight gain is all middle chest, boob and arms. I had a tummy tuck and some cool sculpting in the middle abdomen. Not as many fat cells there now. still 138... from 140. IDK what happened to my "oh no I'm 124" days. I'm going to blame meds, menopause, and hormone replacement therapy. I gathered all the tight tops and donated them. Cool sculpting wont do boob fat. I asked. Thats just dumb. I am doing better at staying out of the kitchen. I had a serious talk with dh about bringing home junk. Hes stoped for now and i eat blueberries for sweets instead.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I would take the blue jays as a positive sign. I hope you hear from them soon. How tall are you? I think I would be too small if I were 124 pound at 5'6". I liked the way I felt and looked at 135, but that didn't last very long before I started gaining again. Maintenance is hard.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @swenson19d I would take the blue jays as a positive sign. I hope you hear from them soon. How tall are you? I think I would be too small if I were 124 pound at 5'6". I liked the way I felt and looked at 135, but that didn't last very long before I started gaining again. Maintenance is hard.

Maintenance is hard... especially from the couch. I am 5'4" on left or 5'4.5" if I stand on my right leg. I have smaller build. Not one of those with nice legs and a rear (i got stick legs and no butt). I like 120. but, that seem unrealistic from here. ugh.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - I agree the bluejays are a sign! I had no idea that was JH's mascot though. My DD never had anything with the school logo or anything on it other than binders and her diploma of course.
    I am shorter than both you and @quilteryoyo but I weigh now about the same as @quilteryoyo. The weird thing for me is all my clothes still fit fine so I am not exactly sure where I have gained.

I also wanted to be in the 120's. Made it to 125 for an instant, maybe 6 mos and then settled in and hung around 130-135 for several years. I have lost a couple of pounds from my latest high but would really like to get back down to 140ish. I like 130 but I don't think I can get back down there.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

Another week and another day down...I lost interest in coloring in my countdown calendar, I think I am in the low 90's now.

Not a lot to report. The weekend was pretty quiet. DH and I went up to the ranch and checked on everyone. It rained a lot up there and we had 1 small pine go down. It was so pretty though and the air so clear and the ocean so blue. I went in the travel trailer and it seems the mice have not been in there. We had found a big rip in the barrier under the trailer and taped it up and that seems to have done the trick...along with filling the vents with moth balls, putting out bait, and buying sonic flashy things LOL.

My neck was in a way this weekend but motrin after a couple days seemed to calm it down. I finally got a copy of the actual MRI report and oof..how did I not know know this was going on? How did I confuse it with stress? I have C-1 acquired (vs congenital) cerebellar tonsillar ectasias (where the lower part of the brain has slipped into the spinal canal). C3-4 arthritis of the facet joint with spurring and borderline nerve stenosis (pinching). C4-5 Disk extrusion 7mm with indented spinal stenosis (pushing on spinal cord), spurring and nerve stenosis. C5-6 Bilateral Bone spurs with central protrusion. I see ortho next week. I figure if I have lived with it this long, I can go longer, but I think the arthritis is getting worse.

My tooth has been a bit achy, going to call and schedule that crown while it is free.

No word on the rental yet. Trying to not stress about a sudden move.

The base is doing a Bataan Death march memorial ruck, 26.2 miles. I would go walk 10 miles but I am in way able to go that far...IDK who could with only 3 weeks warning! I did one in VA in the Great Dismal Swamp, I can't remember how far it was...maybe 15 miles.

I packed workout clothes and my buddy figured out how to share with me on Apple Watch our activity level so I have been challenged, he is kicking my butt. I bought bigger sports bras and it is such a relief...I just need to buy bigger pants too b/c my size 8's are killing my luv handles LOL.

I haven't done my intuitive eating workbooks at all in a week. Might go back to MFP le sigh. I am up 20lbs since mom died. Oh and speaking of that, trial has been rescheduled to TBD again due to witness availability. Attempt to reschedule on the 7th.

Best get to it! Another rainy week.

• swenson19d
    Options
    just back from the vet with Hayami Mochi.

The sadness is setting in. She isn't likey to get a good prognosis with the heart murmur. EKG will be done before she gets spayed which will be a baseline. Vet says that cat murmurs are almost always malignant. Life expectancy is 3-4 years. 🥹😔
    a90hqv56lt9a.jpeg
    05v9t1muug7u.jpeg
    k0r8is86wnn7.jpeg
    7cbqj7w36sl1.jpeg
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - she is a cutie! I am sorry the prognosis isn't good. How many cats do you have now along with the 2 dogs?

I saw your post on FB. Does that letter mean you have been accepted to the program with some things you need to complete first? That was the way I read it at least.

I have been a slug all day. Woke up hurting and basically curled up on the couch with Hobbes, a blanket and a book. Pretty much all day. Have not eaten much good for me either other than my normal Greek yogurt breakfast. DH had an allergist appointment and stopped and got me a latte so I had oatmeal cookies I made the other day, with it - that was my lunch. No agility either. Hobbes is sure if he is excited enough and follows me around we will go. Unfortunately it is wet, wet, wet and continuing to get even wetter.

We are heading off on Thursday to go up to central CA. The original plan was to meet some friends and our DD was going to join us and we were going to celebrate birthdays, do a bit of wine tasting and just hang out. Because of a medical issue our friends had to cancel so we canceled the house we were going to rent and meet our daughter and her partner further north so they don't need to drive so far south. We are still going wine tasting but also to the Steinbeck Museum and weather permitting to Pinnacles Nat. Park. Alternatively if the weather is bad we might spend a day in Monterey and go to the aquarium. I am really looking forward to seeing our daughter. Wish I could run though, last time we were up this way I found a great flat area to run through the farmland and it was gorgeous. Oh well may get a walk to check it out at least. We'll be doing lots of other walking too.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber How long is this supposed to last? it's shingles that still keeping you down, right? Sounds like a struggle indeed. I hope you enjoy the trip. It sounds nice. I would love to visit Monterey. It was my ultimate running destination. Enjoy the couch snuggles with Hobbes.

Regarding the MUSC acceptance.
    Yes it is conditional. I have to pass the board and submit my final transcript. I have until March 15th to commit with $485. I'm really hoping JH or OU come through. I dont want decline this offer if it is the only one i get.

Amimal count.
    Four cats. Bean 13, Beary 4, Cori 2ish, and Mochi 6 months.
    Dogs. Maggie is 12, and the puppies are 19 months-ish.

Cat history
    We lost Goober (14) who was Bears buddy so we got him Cori. They play, but Cori isnt as emotionally needy/in touch, he's to busy being a turd outside guarding and stalking birds and other critters. I brought home the little, very underweight female, 2 pounds at 4 months, with intestinal troubles and she disappeared, Mallory. So, for Bubba Bear, we got Mochi since he was so so sad about not having Mallory.

Sure the next few years we will lose bean, mags, and mochi. Bean is overweight and arthritic. maggie is still active and keeps the pups in line. We will be down to 2 & 2 in the not to distant future. Bear will be heart broken, again. Poor guy. Fingers crossed that Mochi's heart defect is benign. I'll have to get him a friend again when she's about 2-2.5.

Viola
    Was cancelled today. Im rather relieved since i havent practiced and I am behind in course work. But I am going to make the 45 min trip for a facial. I've never had one but think i'll enjoy the pampering.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @swenson19d Sorry about the diagnosis, heart issues are something I am very familiar with. But I know the Vets can be a bit doom and gloom on initial diagnosis. If you can, I would connect with a veterinary cardiologist. Their hearts are so resilient and there are so many medications that can extend their lives...but it is not for the faint of heart, it is a serious commitment.

@shanaber I hope you have a fun trip! It is sure soggy but I think it is supposed to be clear up here the rest of the week before the next storm.

Looks like we got the rental! Now to plan the move.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I'm glad your clothes still fit. Mine start getting tight right away...I think because I gain all over and not in one place. We can lose some, even not not back to our ultimate goals...it's hard as we get older and have injuries, etc. Enjoy your trip and visit with your DD. It sounds like fun.

@CMorning99 That's a lot going on with your back! I hope the ortho can help you out. Also hope you can get that free crown. Sorry about the trial. That has to be so frustrating. Yeah on getting the rental!!!!

@swenson19d Sorry about Mochi. Big hugs.

• swenson19d
    Options
    CMorning99 wrote: »
    @swenson19d Sorry about the diagnosis, heart issues are something I am very familiar with. But I know the Vets can be a bit doom and gloom on initial diagnosis. If you can, I would connect with a veterinary cardiologist. Their hearts are so resilient and there are so many medications that can extend their lives...but it is not for the faint of heart, it is a serious commitment.

The vet did mention that there is a cardiologist he can recommend and sometimes longterm med can help. I will discuss it more with him after I have her spayed next week. DH is being an a s s and refuses to accept it. I wont let him reprimand her at all and if she wants something she can have it. She isnt a pain in the rear, she is sweet and not bothersome at all. We have one, Cori, who is a pest and obnoxious. Mochi isn't, and i am insisting he learn or tolerate babying her. He more than irks me, said medicine is all a scam and she will live to be 25. When i think i cant hate him more, he suprises me. I need a divorce lawyer.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning folks!

I was so confused again what day it was, I thought for sure I had gone to work yesterday... in a sense I did, just different work LOL.

The weekend was full of highs and lows.

The lows: The CalFire is a bunch of divas who think the world revolves around their mission. I get it, they are trying to save lives and homes, but they ask for the "perfect" set up to do so. Sorry, life don't work that way LOL. They want an 80ft unobstructed improved road turnaround within 50ft of both structures. In order to do that I have to move all the horse pens, take down my moms favorite avocado tree that is massive, and move the gas meter. Not mention as the old song says "tear down paradise and put in a parking lot". There also some unclear words that we may need to upgrade the old mobile with fire sprinklers. We also have to make our driveway 16ft across with a 10ft turnout. Who the heck do they think is gonna be using the driveway? The whole damn neighborhood? So Friday night was a sleepless night as my runaway worrying took over. We only have about half of what mom left me, I have spent nearly 90K so far on this damn property split...I am worried about money running out before we can even sell, especially if we have to have a down payment on the construction loan.

The Highs: The cats are doing better! Grey cat actually had the zoomies twice this weekend! So adorable! I highly recommend Solensia arthritis shots for your older pets. Black cat may have gained some weight! Mind you it was from Sheba and not kidney diet, but we will take it. Hopefully his kidneys' are ok, we find out next week. We have a place to live till 30 Apr 24! We went out and looked at the house formally and it is small but hey, we will make it work. It is so cute! It was built in the mid 1960's so the sqft and layout reflects that...back when "guest" "kid" bedrooms only needed to be 10ft x 10ft LOL. It is going to take some work to fit in there with all my inventory and they had combined bedrooms to make the master and so it is a long narrow room...so I told DH we may be sleeping with some boxes or the dining room table LOL.

I did a lot of you tubing and reading on how to manage my stress, anxiety, over worrying. Can't say I have found the perfect solution yet LOL. DH and I got in a bit of a tiff this weekend b/c in my brain, if you aren't worrying, you don't care. DH is like..."it will work out".

This weeks to dos to help anxiety:

Schedule appt with bank about construction loan. Stressor: Money If we don't have to put $$$ down, we are golden, if we do...oh boy, bring on the stress. Unfortunately I haven't found a credit union who does construction loans so we are at the mercy of the local bank.

Fencing moves: Stress: We need a handyman. I love our guy, but he is so slow and unreliable to show up. I told DH we could really do it ourselves. That led to a talk about how physically lazy we are. After working all week, do we really want to go pound post holes?

I tracked calories all week last week and pretty easily stayed under 1750. If it was accurate, that is about a 250 cal deficit.

I have my ortho appt today, I don't expect much to change from it. Just hope to get VA money for future fixes.

Have a great week!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 . It looks like they would grandfather you in from all of those restrictions on your property clearances and driveway. That is crazy. Does the driveway have to be paved? Can it be gravel? That would save a lot of money if it is very long. Glad that the cats are doing well. I understand your stress over money. It is hard when changing jobs/retiring. Even though you know you have enough, the what if's rear their ugly head. I think there must be something in the air. I woke up early on Monday morning, wondering what day it was and what I was supposed to do and when I needed to get up. I was thinking Friday or Saturday. I think playing tennis Sunday evening threw me off. LOL