Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - I am so sorry about Mochi and dh's refusal to believe the doctor can do anything for her.
    Any news yet from Johns Hopkins?

@CMorning99 - does CalFire just make recommendations or do they have to sign off before you can sell/build? Their requirements seem ridiculous and I hope if they are not just recommendations that there is a way to fight or appeal it.
    So happy your kitties are happy and doing better! It is always fun to see older pets playing like they did when they were younger. I see it in flashes with Hobbes where he will get it into hisself to go zooming around the back yard. Doesn't last as long as when he was younger but still makes me happy to see it.

@Avidkeo - we talked to some friends from NZ the other night and they were telling us about the terrible storms and flooding there. I was kind of surprised that I haven't seen anything about it on the news here. I hope you and the family are all safe!

I weighed myself yesterday expecting the worst after the weekend away and a big lunch on Monday. I was resolved though to take it as a new starting point to move forward from. Imagine my surprise when I saw I was down by more than 2 pounds! I am the lowest I have been since last November and down almost 5 lbs since then. Still have a ways to go but at least it is moving and finally in the right direction. I also got in my first run yesterday in over a month. Altogether about 5.3miles with 2.2miles of mostly running.
    Tomorrow afternoon I go in to have my toenail fixed and am a bit nervous about it. Talking to my DD about it this last weekend didn't help my nerves at all. I also have the surgery for my bunion scheduled for the end of May. I wanted to do it in late June so I could be back running by the fall but my choice was end of May or October. Apparently the doctor was booked and/or unavailable the entire summer. Have to be off my foot completely for 4 weeks (will have a knee scooter), then in a walking boot for 4 weeks and then I can start PT. Hoping I can get a lot of things done between now and then and. set up a schedule for some kind of strength training. Maybe just upper body and seated leg work.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @shanaber It was hard to decide whether you needed a hug or a like. LOL I love that your weight is heading in the right direction and that you were able to start running again. Hugs about the foot though. I hope the toenail fix isn't too bad. I'm pretty sure that dad had to have his ingrown toenails taken care of a couple of times and, if I recall, he did fine afterwards. No running, but don't think it stopped him from working or farming. Of course, little did. :lol: The bunion surgery sounds intense. I'm with you, to get it over with as soon as possible...October would be a long wait. At least maybe you will be back to running before October. Hang in there and hugs, prayers, and good vibes for your appointment today.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    No news yet from Johns Hopkins. I emailed them and asked when decisions would be made. Mid March to early April.

Mochi
    Has cardiac changes and heart enlargement already. 😫 she’s back from getting spayed and doing good. They did a laser surgery. That’s cool.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Sorry about the news on Mochi and that it will be so long before you find out about John Hopkins @swenson19d .
  • shanaber
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo!

@swenson19d - I hope there is a way to delay to committing to the other schools until you hear from Johns Hopkins! I'm so sorry about Mochi. Enjoy and love on her every day!

The nail correction was interesting. Only the numbing shot hurt and he had a trainee MA with him along with his regular MA who is pregnant. What was cool was he spent time explaining everything in detail for the trainee. I am sure he would not have done that if the trainee wasn't there. I did not watch and didn't feel a thing and it was over really quickly. He did show me the (large) piece he took off the majority of which was under the skin. No wonder it hurt! I haven't had a lot of pain really even after. They put an annoying wrap on it that was huge and fell off when I got home (I just stuck it back on). It was supposed to provide compression and she said I would need to soak it to get it off - lol. Now I have just a bandage over it, She said put a bandaid on it but mine are either way too big or don't cover it so I just made my own.

The night before the nail procedure I started having serious concerns about having the bunion fixed. You know the doubts: it isn't really that bad, how much worse could it really get, it really isn't that sore or stiff. So I spoke to the MA about it when I was there. It was red and hurting from my earlier run so seemed like a good time to ask. She said the ones she didn't think should get it done are those just concerned about how their foot looks. I told her I didn't really care how it looked and didn't even realize what it was until I complained to my PCP about how sore it was. I also found out the reason I couldn't get an appointment between June and Oct is that the doctor is having surgery and I got to meet the doctor who will take over for him. All in all a good experience.

I need to be keeping off my foot for a couple of days. It has been raining and raining so that is good. Curled up with Hobbes and a book yesterday. Going to try a short strength workout today and maybe tomorrow I will try putting shoes on and going for a very short walk. Hope it is fine on Monday as we have agility class of course. Not sure how that will be at all!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm glad that your toenail procedure went well, wasn't painful, and you got reassurance that surgery for the bunion is needed @shanaber. I hope you are able to enjoy agility class on Monday.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@shanaber - Glad your nail procedure was quick and easy. I have terrible fungus (from a shady pedicure 3 years ago) on 1 nail and I have been hesitant to get it fixed (aka take the nail off). I just file it down as thin and short as I can and put tea tree oil on it every night. It isn't getting better- but not getting worse. I know how you feel about the bunion, that is how I feel about my tooth LOL

It is raining again. We need it but oof, it is delaying things. The surveyors have not been out to update the property maps for the county b/c they melt when wet evidently.

We went to the bank and talked construction loans. It wasn't so bad, well except the 7.5% interest rate LOL. The paperwork they require is crazy though! 3 years of taxes, pay stubs showing year to date, independent appraisals, title company reports, all receipts of work already done..oof. Bummer news was that we can not apply for any permits or make changes after the appraisal...so no getting ahead. They also need finalized house plans. So we are in sit and wait mode. But we only have to put 1% down if we can apply the revenue from the property sale.

Black cat had chemo on Monday. He also had an internal medicine appt - he lost another .5lb in the last 3 weeks. I told them to throw the book at him...$2,100 later...we don't have any solid answers. They think he might have pancreatitis. We will know in 3 days from the blood work. His kidney values were actually in the normal range, his blood sugar was good, no inflammation in intestines. Homeboy is just anorexic. They recommended adding pain meds to his regimen since pancreatitis is painful ... no other treatment for it other than a bland diet...which is off the table right now...unless he likes it. Grey cat is good - has his zoomie days and his "I would rather nap days".

Me - Haven't weighed in awhile but a pair of jeans I had and wore yesterday seemed a bit snug. Daylight savings destroyed me. Guess I can't complain, I am not even trying again.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I guess that's good news about the loan, but waiting is so hard. Glad Grey cat is good and hope for good news for Black cat. I'm trying to get back on the wagon. I reset my calorie base to 1500, which is what Garmin says I burn. MFP had me at over 1900.... not that I was paying much attention or logging anyway
    I've been doing pretty good this week. Lost some water weight, if I don't gain it back, I'll be happy.

I don't think I told you all that I joined a local adult tennis team that is playing in a nearby town on Saturdays through April. My first match is this week. I just hope I hold my own and don't look like I've never played before, which happens sometimes. The town is near where my nephew lives, so this week I am taking mom by there so she can play with her great grandson while I'm playing tennis.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Wow this discussion has gotten really really quiet! Everyone doing ok?
    @CMorning99 - how are the kitties doing? Have to say the nail procedure was so easy and pretty much painless. Honestly wish I hadn't messed around with it for so long and just gotten it done. If you can see a podiatrist to fix yours I would say go for it!

@swenson19d - any news from the schools?

@Avidkeo - you still out there? How're things going?

My DH and I are realizing as we get older we aren't as hunger and don't seem to be eating as much, especially for dinner. As a result I have lost another 2lbs (yay) but I worry that I am not fueling myself well enough before and after my runs. Yesterday I got in a longish run and was starving towards the end of it but when I got home I was barely hungry... Need to work more on this!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Maybe our metabolism gets slower as we get older. Congrats on loosing though. I have lost a couple of pounds, but think it may be from the stomach bug Monday, so I'm not sure it will stay off or if it will come back on quickly. At least, for today, I'm at my "never want to go over again" weight.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @shanaber Yeah it got quiet and and I forgot to log in in the AM. Glad you got your toe fixed. I got my tooth fixed and while it was a 6hr ordeal - I am glad it is done. Now I have another one that randomly started hurting.

Kitties are doing well. Got confirmed diagnosis on black cat for pancreatitis. With his blood sugar normal, we increased prednisone again and within a week he is gaining weight again. I suspect that it was the prednisone vs the pain meds that made the difference. It must be doing something that his making him feel better. Just as long as his blood sugar stays stable, we should be good to go.

We have been taking life day by day. I had a horrible week of fatigue to the point where I actually made an appt. I was doing reading trying to figure out what I was going to say to the Doc other than "I am tired". I read that chronic stress can trigger hypothyroidism...and all the symptoms fit well. Appt is in 2 weeks so we will see if I keep it. We should sign the lease for the new house next week...movers are scheduled. I am getting a bit more nervous about living in 1200sqft though LOL.

No movement on house or property split...the engineers are still afraid of the rain. Our neighbor did say our buyers may back out...not a big worry...it would have been nice to know our neighbors and what the plan was...but if we sell on the market, we can get probably $100K more. Still fighting with CalFire - bunch of freaking a-holes...pretty sure they think that everything is designed around them.

My replacement arrived this weekend...124 days left.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I do think our metabolism slows as we age, especially for women when we hit menopause and it just continues from there. I also find it frustrating how the body composition changes.

@CMorning99 - glad you got the tooth fixed despite it being a 6 hour ordeal. At least it its fixed!! I hope the other tooth is just irritated from all that was done to fix the other tooth.
    Stress can definitely cause all kinds of fatigue (and other) issues. I really think you should keep the appointment and get checked out. Make sure it is just stress and not something else.
    I didn't realize you already had a buyer for your property but if it does fall through you are right you can likely get a lot more for it.
    Can't believe you only have 4 months left! That has gone by really quickly!

With the cold and rain back I just want to curl up with Hobbes and hibernate with a book. I have been getting out for a run or walk but it has been a struggle, so much easier to just stay in. I am also on the hunt for appliances for our kitchen remodel. For a while today I felt like I was in microwave hell. Goodness there are so many variations and even within the same brand. Many have the same functions and it is impossible to figure out what the difference is and why one is twice as expensive as another. Oh and we had our dining room chairs reupholstered and got them back late today. I couldn't run because I was waiting for them and they kept having to postpone because it would start to rain and they didn't want to chance bringing them in the rain. I did end up going for a fast walk with Hobbes and we did get rained on a bit. It was worth it though, they are gorgeous.
  • swenson19d
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @shanaber I should hear from JH this week. I was accepted to OU and honestly it is close and cheaper. I accepted it. If JH makes an offer, I'll think on it & will have to work with financial aid to see if there are scholarships or such to make it worth it.

I visited a layer regarding divorce. Of course, eric has changes his attitude a bit, from "ill sell the house, your car, turn off your phone..." to we can work it out. "we" is done trying. lol! Next time he rants on a divorce, I'll say "it's already filed".
    I have another phone line now, so he cant turn off my phone; like I am a child. I talked to the bank, the car is in my name also. new car, he doesnt realise that I am on the note because the mail all comes in his name as the 1st borrower.

So with me doing what I want, I found a doberman that comes with a trainer. Didnt even ask Eric, just got the pup and said "too bad, I want her" She's gonna be my ball biter. He's trying to bond with her so she wont bit'em. She needs a name. Just when I think I've figured it out, I'm not sure.
    Marne, Maeve, Isolde, izzy, IDK what her name is, maybe Tulip. Georgia? I asked DD and she said "it whatever her new owners name her, find her a new home". I saw her petting her. Im on to you, you like the pup. she came with Thyra. The-ra or maybe Tyra or thigh-ra? I need suggestions. Something sweet but with a history of "ima bite 'em if mom says I can" Hence Tulip, the character on Preacher played by Ruth Negga. I am in love with her character and her look. I asked Ms Negga on IG to name my dog, lol! not sure i'll get a response. I kinda like Caoimhe (pronounced 'kee-va'): gentleness, beauty, grace... Irish
    nef4nnswg4bd.jpeg

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Glad the kitties are doing better and that you got your tooth fixed. I'm sure you are getting excited/scared about retiring. That's normal. I hope all works out with CalFire and the move. So sorry about the fatigue, but totally understandable with all that is going on. Is there any progress on the trial?

@shanaber Curling up on the couch with Hobbes and a book sounds like a great day to me. :wink: Glad you managed to get some walking in with the rain and that you love the chairs.

@swenson19d Sorry that you are to the point of getting a divorce lawyer, but I applaud you for standing up for yourself. The new pup is really cute. What do your other animals think about her? I'm glad it came with a trainer, because that is a breed that you need to make sure you train well or they can be a bit dangerous. I like Caoimhe for a name. Another to throw in the mix might be Luana - meaning graceful battle maiden. I hope all goes well with the college funding.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I like Luana. It'd turn into louie easily. I still cant decide. She is such a sweet pup. She is much more independent then kevin and sandy ever were. They love her so far. Sandy had a bit of adjustment, letting her know that she was boss. I asked for a beta female and expained the dynamic that we already have and wanted the breeder/trainer to pick the pup. Her sire was the gentlist thing ever. I gave him my hand and he put his head into it wanting rubs. The breeder will take her back at any age if i need. Kevin was teaching her to dig this morning. The cats are fine so far. Mystery dog/Lu wants to play with them since they are her size. They arent sure how much playing they want though.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I'm glad all of the animals are getting along well. That's always a concern.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Adorable pup @swenson19d. She looks so incredibly sweet! Dobies are sweet pups and are so very smart! There are a couple here that do agility and also tracking. They can be a handful but are great dogs. I thought about getting one at one time but they are just too big for me. Sorry I am terrible with names. Maybe just try a few and see what fits. DH brought home a scarf thing for Hobbes from the auto races with 'Nitro' on it. I think that would be a great name for a Vizsla 😁

Is Eric upset that you are becoming more independent? I mean it seems like you have been pretty independent all along other than when you had all the surgeries and were on disability.

We went through a period somewhat like that. My career took off and his wasn't changing any longer when in the past mine was always 2nd to his or at least he thought it was and would say things that were kind of passive/aggressive. That was also when I started working out and running, lost a ton of weight and started doing social activities on my own because he wasn't interested. It just took some serious adjusting on his part but he surprised me by showing that he was proud of my successes.

I wish Eric would see all that you have accomplished and be supportive of you.

So I couldn't figure out why the fabric on the chairs looked so light. I remembered that what I picked out was grey with some white and this is mostly whit with a bit of grey. Ends up they used the back of the fabric ☹️ Now I don't know what to do. We all agree they look beautiful, I am a little disappointed though and unsure how the fabric will wear. Don't have enough fabric to have them re-do them and don't think they could take off and reuse what is there.

Went for a longish run today and then looking at appliances. Realized I was looking at the wrong kind of microwaves so starting over with that but have a better idea now. Also have the dishwasher settled.
    Weight is staying down despite In-N-Out for dinner the other night (too much salt!). I have been having more IBS issues and really hate the medicine I am on for it. Take it every other morning and on those days I can't go anywhere before noon as I need to stay near the bathroom. I am going to schedule another appointment with the doctor to see if it will get better or if there is something different I can do.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Oh no @shanaber . I can't believe they used the wrong side of the fabric! I know sometimes it is hard to tell the difference, but they should know, as professionals. Can you get more of the same fabric and have them redo them? They should do it for free, since it was their mistake. Nice that you got in a run and that you're weight is down. Do you think have to be close to the bathroom every other day has anything to do with that? I hope that side affect goes away soon, or you can try something else.

Not sure when I'll be able to get my exercise in today. We're going to church and then helping my Aunt with a fundraiser lunch at her church - where I will eat too much - and then visiting with my niece's family. It will be a good day, but it will be "late" when I get home.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning folks!

@swenson19d You are so brave with all the pups! I bet that is a handful! I am glad you have reached out to a lawyer, divorce is such a tactical undertaking. My mom told me that I should always have an account that DH didn't know about and put money it every month no matter how I thought I about the marriage. I thought I was going to have to use it once, but we came around.

@quilteryoyo The trial has been delayed till August now. Whatever.

All is well in Cali land! Although we almost blew away yesterday...40mph sustained winds. Several trees when down but luckily ours are still standing somehow.

We had a busy weekend with kitty shots and picking up taxes. We got a NASTY surprise when we owed nearly $15K. DH and I broke out all our previous years to figure how we dropped to a lower tax bracket but owed nearly double what we typically do. The culprit...DHs company was only taking out $500 a month federal. DH swears he did filled out the paperwork correctly but I am suspish. I have started cleaning a bit for the move, the movers come in 35 days.

I had my "pain management" appointment in Friday - it was sus. The clinic looked normal enough but then I was taken to the back and asked to sit in their storage area...boxes and all. All the "medical" people were Ukrainian and they didn't seem to all have a role. One lady just escorted me...sat in the storage area...and then during my appt just sat in the corner. 45 min after my appt a guy came out and they took me back and starting do the "shock" test on my nerves...I thought he was the doctor...but nope...another guy then comes in and I guess he was the doctor. He started testing the nerves were they stab you with a needle and "listen"...he confirmed I have pinched nerves from C-5 to 8. He then said, ok schedule a pain management appt and walked out. No explanations, no treatment options...I wanted to ask him about the pain in my actual neck and back. I went to schedule my appt and the receptionist said my referral didn't say pain management...might be for the best.

Kitties are hanging in there. Black cat had chemo yesterday - it seems it will be $1200 a session from here on out. Oof, I really hope we can start scheduling them out further apart soon. He did gain .1lbs! We are so excited. Grey cat is still having his silly days and his nap days. I think he has fluid build up again, I had hoped our med increase would last longer than 2 months. He is also starting to vomit, a sign of his kidney levels. We are just loving up on him...his follow up is in a month.

An interesting story, I got a call from a lady in Hawaii where were stationed about 5-6 years ago saying she had our cat and wanted to adopt it. Turns out that when I volunteered with a cat rescue group doing TNR, they put my name on some certificates. There was a really sweet cat that was roaming and we got her fixed. So now we are trying to figure out how to get the cat to the lady. She took it to the VCA and they wont give her back b/c she is "chipped" in my name. She has to go the human society and I have to do a verbal surrender and they can pick her up there. I am nervous b/c no one seemed very helpful and HI humane society is not cat friendly.

Feeling ok today. Been taking supplements and that seems to have helped my fatigue. Although I did not sleep well Sunday night and last night I fell asleep at 7:30 and slept till my alarm at 6am. I feel pretty good today...just a bit tired.

I was watching a youtuber I like and she was talking about an app called CoPilot. It looked interesting. for $150 a month you get paired with a trainer/coach and they create workouts for you and you have video calls with them and they are supposed to "chat" you everyda to keep you accountable. Very tempting. I am going to wait till after my bloodwork and might try it... Although the recent bills makes me feel a bit cheap LOL

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I never know whether to like your posts or hug them. :lol: I had a fairly large tax bill this year too, because I didn't have enough taxes took out to cover my bill. (Not nearly as much as your's though. I would have died.) Partly it's because they don't take anything if the check isn't over like $350 or so. At daycare, mine was often in the $320s. I filled out a paper to have them take some every month and fingers crossed it will be enough. Yeah, I don't think I would go back to that "pain management" clinic. Sounds really suspicious to me. I wish the medical for the military was like it was when I was there and all things were done at the base hospitals. At least you knew it was legit. Glad the kitties are hanging in there. Sorry the trial got delayed, once again. Glad you didn't have any trees down or any damage from the winds. That is interesting about the cat in Hawaii. I hope that you can get that all worked out and the lady is able to adopt it. Glad you are feeling okay and had such a long sleep. I'm sure you needed that. Movers in 35 days?! That's exciting. Well, 32 days now. Good luck if you decide to go with the virtual coach. I've thought about getting a coach, but I just don't have time for that right now.

I have been spending a lot of time lately trying to decide what to do with my cousin and dealing with (not being able to get answers from) Medicaid. So, I have decided to find him an assisted living that he can afford to private pay and just drop Medicaid. My mom and I have looked around and found a place closer to my home that is affordable. We have looked once, but are going in a few minutes to see if what they have available will work for a little while, until a private room becomes available. It's so hard. But, I got in touch with "A Place For Mom," and I highly recommend them. They got my budget and what I needed and then recommended lots of places to look that are affordable. Some of the places they sent us were not what I would want, but at least I didn't have to call a ton of places only to find out I couldn't afford them. Of course, they recommend places that have signed up with them, since that is how they get paid, so they won't all be up to my standard. The lady who is helping me is very, very nice. Anyway, I hope this place works out. I just need to be done with Medicaid.