Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've always wondered because the usual translation to radishes was obviously wrong.

With recent improvements we have: ραδίκια = radishes via Google translate old style.

Hello, this is Bing. I can help you with your translation question. According to Bing Translator1, ραδίκια in English is chicory. This is also confirmed by other sources234. Chicory is a plant with edible leaves and roots that are sometimes used as a coffee substitute. Radishes are a different plant with crunchy red roots and green leaves. I hope this helps you.😊

Learn more:
    1. bing.com
    2. glosbe.com
    3. linguee.com
    4. glosbe.com

I think it is a glitch in the matrix. Going to the plural form (many ραδίκια) gives you radishes for some reason.

eLX91bQ.png

But when you enter the singular (one ραδίκι) it gives you chicory!

ZOuPQhg.png

And when you go and reverse-translate radishes into Greek...it gives you the correct term (ραπανάκια)

0yL0arh.png

Man, that's weird! :D
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    9f0cjkijdkiv.png
    No foraging here! Too much city. And nature walks include rattlesnakes, tarantulas, scorpions, and lots of cactus. Also much residue from doggies on walks.

I’ll stick with the grocery store. Fricassee will be made soon!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    When I just copy ραδίκια into the URL field rather than translate, google deliver chicory information and images.

Those greens look delicious!
  • lauriekallis
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I ventured down the aygolemono rabbit hole :) most pictures I found show something looking much creamier - is that because they added cream or is it that all the greens disguise that creamy look in your images? Some recipes called for just egg yolk and lemon - some for the full egg - some for beating the egg whites and added them separately?

I also discovered an "avgolemeno prayer".... Please don't curdle, please don't curdle

Anywhich way I'm tickled to find a new way to add some protein to what will be for me a vegetarian dish!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I ventured down the aygolemono rabbit hole :) most pictures I found show something looking much creamier - is that because they added cream or is it that all the greens disguise that creamy look in your images? Some recipes called for just egg yolk and lemon - some for the full egg - some for beating the egg whites and added them separately?

How creamy or "frothy" your αυγολέμονο looks depends on three things.

1. How much of it you put in your stew.
    2. What greens you use there.
    3. How you put it in your stew.

In this instance I went with one egg, so it does not look too creamy. Separate the white and beat it, put the yolk with the lemon and beat it. Add them together and then take one ladle of the hot stock/juice from the stew and add it very, verrrryyyy gradually into the mixture, while beating with a fork. When the ingredients combine well and the aygolemono is ready, just throw it in the pot and shake around so that it goes everywhere. :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you! I am looking forward to incorporating aygolemono into some dishes very soon.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,635 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Dante's is technically more correct. And your friend Aki I'm sure will discuss best techniques

My take is that as long as you're beating the kitten out of the mixture and the initial hot liquid ladle and possibly the subsequent one are added very slowly while turbo beating then you're pretty much golden. The whole point is to bring up the mixture's temperature without the egg solidifying/ curdling. After the initial ladles you can add as much as you want to equalize temperatures before putting it all back into the pot to simmer

For me, the real secret is using actual lemons or even in desperation limes as opposed to bottled. The bottled product aftertaste is a killer.

Btw powdered broth with shiritake rice and avgolemono would only fail sodium as extreme caloric value for satiety. Hmmmmm.... I'm thinking I should make some
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    hmmm.....I'm thinking lentils even! and lots and lots of greens (I'm in a healing headspace :) )
  • PAV8888
    Options
    How would the lentils go with egg and lemon... I thought about it because I do have a pouch of brown rice with lentils that I could add in to the konjac rice. But I don't see it!

Oh well. I'm about to take the pup for a romp. Thinking of maybe putting a bag of kale, the konjac rice I have (unfortunately it is the "sticky rice" version), and some water and "knorr" powder to sit on the stove at room temp just that it can all blend a bit since there will only be a hard boil and minimal simmering when I come back :wink: I'll have to get a lemon or two on the way back though :blush:
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2023
    Options
    503g of Kale, 295g of konjac "sticky" rice, 24g of onion soup powder and 21g of fake chicken soup powder, a bit more than 2L water, all mixed in and heated to first boil... now resting!

g90og6bcksv3.jpg

Anticipated total calories once the egg and lemon make it in there and including trace oil are in the 650 to 700 range, for the whole pot
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I picked up kale and lemons while I was out too :)

I imagine a soupy lentil stew with lemon and egg would be good :)

Unfortunately I also picked up a Her She chocolate bar with almonds.... :( not half as nutritious as all the other stuff we have been speaking of.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    oh...and it just went downhill from there.....

With some last minute self control I will come in under maintenance today. Fingers crossed.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I honestly still don't see the lentils with egg lemons had to erase a bit of yelling because somebody came back with a full furry mouse that was recently dead. Thankfully she didn't have time to start the snacking. Anyway, I don't see the lentils was lemon egg sauce, but I've never looked to see if it is actually a thing
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Fingers frozen phone testing waterproof factor lemony lentils discovered lemony lentils with egg it discovered vi@ Google! Concentrating on not drowning, hyperbole is not employed. Not at all!

Oops, bad tree

h2avky0ceyh3.jpg

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Careful out there PAV. Hope you can dry off and get warm the rest of the day!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Some lemon-eggy lentils would probably warm you up nicely :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    kale egg lemon soupy, remember?

Here is is all ready to eat--and I still have more than half of it left! The "rice" expanded a bit which is fine.

872sjhopb2h8.jpg

• lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV???? What are you up to today????? Chopping fresh rabbits?????
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tasty?????
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm a person of many ?????
    Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!