Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Lol....took me a bit to remember where I mentioned the "book launch" - and of course it is under "What's for Supper" cause that's the way we roll :)

Quick Laurie history. For a couple of decades I was the "Managing Director" (AKA chief cook and bottle washer Jill of all trades) for Life Rattle, a not-for-profit literary organization. We had a radio show, podcasts, annual Writers Festival and published books. I sort of slipped out of that role a few years ago (not a lot of money - and that was supposed to be my "paying job" to help support my artistic endeavours which don't pay much either :) )

But - there are still a few writers who I have worked with for awhile that I continue to work with - because hey - we're almost partners now.

The writer whose book launched this week, Carmelo Arnoldin, who is also a visual artist and a retired university fine arts instructor, finished the first draft of a new novel just before he headed off to China for a big exhibition the fall before the pandemic hit. A few days after he returned home he suffered a major stroke, which he has recovered well from, but it still interferes with him writing and reading (not his vocabulary or ability to verbally put ideas together). Then there was COVID, and during all that double craziness he moved away to be closer to family on the east coast.

For the past couple of years I've been working with him to help finish/polish that first rough draft. It was kind of a skeleton version of an epic that is now beyond his ability to write so we figured out how to keep it shorter while still feeling like a "whole" story.

We were just about done when he phoned me towards the end of March and said he would be returning to Toronto for Easter - "Can we have the book finished and printed and organize a launch for the week after Easter weekend?"

LOL

Normally I would have stuck to the laughing out loud and said no can do, but in this situation I had to give it a shot. After having his life turned upside down and having to leave his hometown without being able to say a proper goodbye to colleagues and friends - and he is a really good man - I couldn't not try.
    So we did it!
    The launch was last night and it was a really warmn gathering of friends, colleagues, students and family. <3

And he is Italian - and has lots of idea for my trip to Rome :)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    What a talented man! And you’re a wonderful and loyal friend to help him accomplish his book launch on time.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We had low sodium, extra lean ground beef Taco salads….kind of bland but I was starving so I would have eaten paste!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Homemade pizza on a whole wheat ultra thin crust. One of those supposedly healthy crusts. It was MEH and not worth the calories which were not insignificant. Left me hungry which resulted in eating a serving of jalapeño cheese puffed goldfish crackers.

Hubby bought the crusts in a 3 pack from Costco thinking he was being helpful. He didn’t read the fine print. What idiot eats 1/9th of a 12 inch pizza? How do you even cut a pizza into nine even pieces?.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    We had shish tawook (grilled chicken marinaded in yogurt with spices), saffron rice, green beans with tomato sauce, and pita bread. It was very tasty and just right for the first day of the year to hit over 80.

Tomorrow is Beef with Broccoli or Beef with Pea Pods because broccoli doesn't like me. Burrito wraps for lunch, though if it's hot again I'll have the same ingredients with more lettuce and call it a taco salad.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    pea pods are superior. but broccoli has its moments too... assuming it likes you!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Lol....took me a bit to remember where I mentioned the "book launch" - and of course it is under "What's for Supper" cause that's the way we roll :)

Quick Laurie history. For a couple of decades I was the "Managing Director" (AKA chief cook and bottle washer Jill of all trades) for Life Rattle, a not-for-profit literary organization. We had a radio show, podcasts, annual Writers Festival and published books. I sort of slipped out of that role a few years ago (not a lot of money - and that was supposed to be my "paying job" to help support my artistic endeavours which don't pay much either :) )

But - there are still a few writers who I have worked with for awhile that I continue to work with - because hey - we're almost partners now.

The writer whose book launched this week, Carmelo Arnoldin, who is also a visual artist and a retired university fine arts instructor, finished the first draft of a new novel just before he headed off to China for a big exhibition the fall before the pandemic hit. A few days after he returned home he suffered a major stroke, which he has recovered well from, but it still interferes with him writing and reading (not his vocabulary or ability to verbally put ideas together). Then there was COVID, and during all that double craziness he moved away to be closer to family on the east coast.

For the past couple of years I've been working with him to help finish/polish that first rough draft. It was kind of a skeleton version of an epic that is now beyond his ability to write so we figured out how to keep it shorter while still feeling like a "whole" story.

We were just about done when he phoned me towards the end of March and said he would be returning to Toronto for Easter - "Can we have the book finished and printed and organize a launch for the week after Easter weekend?"

LOL

Normally I would have stuck to the laughing out loud and said no can do, but in this situation I had to give it a shot. After having his life turned upside down and having to leave his hometown without being able to say a proper goodbye to colleagues and friends - and he is a really good man - I couldn't not try.
    So we did it!
    The launch was last night and it was a really warmn gathering of friends, colleagues, students and family. <3

And he is Italian - and has lots of idea for my trip to Rome :)
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    What a talented man! And you’re a wonderful and loyal friend to help him accomplish his book launch on time.

Wow! And what a talented woman you are to achieve that! Sounds like an amazing night!

This morning, very early doors, went for a walk along a beautiful stretch of the upper Wharfe & and foraged the wild garlic. Just made a batch of pesto with it & am sterilising jars to store it. Going to test it out on some chicken or fish, some roasted onions, peppers & potatoes.
  • Janatki
    Options
    We had double crisped pulled pork - i.e. a pork shoulder joint, all fat removed, cooked in water in the Instant Pot for 70 minutes + natural pressure release...then shredded...then dry fried in a frying pan so that it went extra dry and crispy (like crispy duck)....served in a soft roll with reggae reggae sauce and Asian slaw (shredded red cabbage, finely chopped spring onion, julienned carrot and julienned apple dressed with a zingy mouth-puckering dressing made with red chilli, lime juice, fresh ginger and rice wine vinegar).

Delicious.

OMG! I so want to eat that!

• Janatki
    Options
    Tea vagsdovb9lxl.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    So like nurse lady? This is the 🐰🐇🐰 Union office and we want to give you an award ⭐ for NOT eating all of our food❣️🙀🙀🙀🐹😘

Your tea looks breathtakingly beautiful and I would LOVE TO have it. Honestly, truly. Awesome looking pretty pesto chicken.❤️

And I realise that if you borrowed Connie's partitioning schemes and kept your orange peppers with the rest of the courgette and pepper it would look like an equal pile to the potatoes as opposed to my 🐹 triggering first look where the spud pile looked double the rest at first glance 😘

But that plate can easily fit a couple of hundred grams--about 100 Cal--of fresh (or FROZEN for speed, ease, and reduced cost) brocolli or Brussels sprouts or cauliflower or the green beans I was showing Laurie last night. All relatively bulky and in the 0.5Cal per g range. (Also MFP friend trick--👋hi Dr Steph: bag of (tri color) coleslaw with maybe some onion stir fried...)

Not worth spending the 100 Cal if you are fully satiated and happy.

BUT maybe worth exploring to see if making your veg section larger could help you save calories elsewhere????

And please send some pesto!!! Brushing it like this is a bit of a revelation that I am going to borrow in the future!!! Was always avoiding due to quantity used as pasta sauce since I like my pasta with loads of sauce!

We now return you to your regular programming--sorry, my 🐹 hamsters had a flash back to pre 2015 when they used to think that 3x 85g portions of veg a day were too difficult to fit in!!! :lol:

PS you could counter that it is a plan for you to get used to smaller portions, in which case we will add you to the smaller plate Amazon purchase!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    OMG Amazon merchants are gleefully rubbing their hands together 🤣
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Jalapeño turkey pattie, green salad with beets, half roasted sweet potato 🍠. Oh - and 1 small piece of Belgian chocolate. Friend brought me a box from Belgium which hubby has been eating regularly. I felt I should at least try 1 piece before it disappeared.
  • Janatki
    Options
    Seabass and roasted veggies for tea tonight.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nice 🐹 wrangling Alexandra. And I want some of that tea @ Janatki! My lunch did not rise to that occasion even though it was more calories!!!!!🙀🙀🙀
  • Janatki
    Options
    Tea is salmon, chill and lime saucey thingy, peas, tenderstem and carrots.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Janatki, you sent me off investigating this "tenderstem" - never heard of it before!! It looks lovely.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Janatki, you sent me off investigating this "tenderstem" - never heard of it before!! It looks lovely.

ha! It's what I call broccolini! I mostly get them at Costco! I think I've also seen them in "Mann's" branded bags at Safeway/IGA???? They work great "fried/steamed" in the pan with garlic!!! Loads of garlic :smiley: They AWESOME bunnies! Never knew it had a name!