Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    No snow here - was supposed to be 22! But didn't quite make it. Grey and rainy though (except in the refrigerator where things were frost :s )
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    All my "walking" today so far has been brooming snow off the driveway! :hushed:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yuck
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I don't just pan roast zucchini/courgettes. Asparagus likes it too. A little butter rubbed over, coarse sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper. 7imtw3xi0vdm.jpg

AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    And the meal itself: Crab cakes, wild rice pilaf, pan-seared asparagus, and a homemade roll with butter. Two people are having asparagus and two people are not. The rice is a weighed out two ounces, and the crab cakes are between 4-5 ounces each. Two people are indulging in an ounce of chipotle mayo as dipping sauce, and one is having the same mount of ketchup. I don't like dips, so I'm not having any. p1eettxpzesm.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,978 Member
    Options
    Pan fry is obviously the way to go! I’ve been disappointed with sheet pan roasted veggies in the oven.

Sorry about the snow up there in the great white north! Here in Texas it’s 93F (34C) and sunny. Way above normal temperatures for the season. 🌞 The AC is pumping away. Hoping for a bit of cool down although Easter is predicted to be 100F (35C). The chocolate bunnies will be melting 🥵
    Options
    If it's not frying as fast as you like, you can add a couple ounces of water, and let that steam the recalcitrant ones. You don't even need a timer if you listen; the water boiling off sounds different than the vegetables on the iron skillet.

I do think you need a cast iron skillet or griddle for this because you need high heat and to get the pan hot enough and I'd be worried about warping a regular skillet. But I do like cast iron.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It’s 90 here today….air is blasting away!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    We're not spending electricity on air-conditioning... we have windows :lol: With snow coming in if you were to open them... gas on heating... that's a different story! :anguished:

Alexandra I used a large t-fal deep oven/stove top casserole pot... but I might try the "grill" which is cast iron anyway...
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Alexandra I used a large t-fal deep oven/stove top casserole pot... but I might try the "grill" which is cast iron anyway...

If it works, go with it! I don't have any T-Fal myself. All the skillets are cast iron, the Dutch oven is cast iron, and the small egg pan is heavy aluminum. The pots are all copper-bottomed heavy bright steel. I think the only non-stick things I have and have to baby are the electric griddle and the electric rice cooker.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    On the left, dad's plate with some oil drizzled, on the right PAVster noshing! Would have worked way way way way better if the grilling pan were big enough for me to have added the beets into the "fry". Without a sauce to tie them in they were a bit... out of context. Whereas they would have blended in perfectly in the pan.

Zucchini 552g, previously boiled potatoes 239g, Schneider's regular smokies 150g, butterball turkey kielbasa 121g, canola spray 2g, lemon pepper 1g --> total yield: 786g

I am blaming :kissing_heart: Alexandra for the zucchini weenie, of course! :lol:

u1qcsl3m326v.jpg
    igmdh5uuz5ak.jpg
  • lauriekallis
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Nice meal you have cooked up for you and your pop.

Bought a big bag of beets yesterday - big sale at the local no frills. Yours too?
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Bought a big bag of beets yesterday - big sale at the local no frills. Yours too?

Nah, I cheat (probably myself) :lol: They were $2.50 (Canadian guys...that's under US$2) per 500g bag, frozen. Didn't even shed (any visible) water in the nuker! and no cleaning, or slicing, or boiling... ready in 3 to 6 minutes depending on quantity! In Dad's "city" there's only StupidStore and Shoppers. At home I would be able to check out all the rest of the "family's" options! I think there's no Fortino's out west!
    Options
    That looks really good. I miss potatoes with sausages. That was so good.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I mean... ya know... de-boning the costco chicken and stir frying the veggies was, I thought, some pretty involved cooking!!!! :lol:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I boned a veggie dog tonight for The Boy - he wanted his veggie wiener on a stick so he could dip it. Six-year-olds are so easy to please :)

Veggie fried rice from the freezer - veggie wieners on a stick + grape tomatoes for dinner - with yogurt and banana for dessert - kinda weird - but The Boy chose.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh Laurie!🙀😹
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I slept a little later this morning and missed breakfast, first time I skipped it all week!….I got out of the house for a while because Amanda was here for John in case he needed anything…I wandered around in Walmart and bought some summer P.j.s and some stuff that was low sodium…stopped at Applebees on the way home and got John an Orange Chicken Bowl for his dinner….I got home and fixed myself a grilled burger on light bread…it was SO good…..