Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Slow cooked bean chilli tonight & 8 portions for the freezer along with 6 potions of turkey pasta bake, cottage pies, beef chilli sauce and a beef lasagne. No room for any more! Tired out now! Bath & an early night for me! Not sure how you do this every week AlexandraFindsHerself 1971 & my attempts were just taking stuff out of packets, no pulling apart or owt! 😴
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    My standing budget varies with the weather and if I spent any ahead (AKA, stood too long yesterday) And walking around is better than standing. I can count on a solid two hours of walking around most days, but I can stretch that out very nicely by getting the weight off my feet.

So today looked like this: Come downstairs, make tea, stare at computer, drink tea and take meds (30 min.) Start laundry, set bread sponge. Sit 20 minutes. Fold laundry in dryer, put away, make bread and put for first rise. Sit 10 minutes. Change laundry over, hang up the things that need to hang dry on hangers or flat dry on racks. Sit 10 minutes (cause hands overhead hurts due to weight on chest). Sit down and drink more tea for another ten minutes. Start a video game until bread is ready for shaping, which was another 30 minutes. Shape bread, move laundry, take laundry upstairs (we have a cat who likes to pee in laundry baskets) to my bedroom and fold immediately and put away to foil said Stealth Pee Cat. Sit down another 10 minutes.

This is how I get everything done. At some point I'll run out of energy and instead of getting up to do something will go to bed for four hours. Usually I can time this so that the crash happens after lunch, and I get my four hours in, come down, make dinner, clean up the day's dishes, and laze about reading and gamint and petting cats til about ten, when I go to bed.

A lot of the stuff I'm doing is also in quantity. The rolls that are currently on their second rise...well, that batch of bread dough made 24 rolls. With four of us eating, that's six times I can add a roll to dinner. As we have rolls about once a week (usually with the "slab of meat" meal on Mondays) that's six weeks of rolls done at once. If I make enchiladas, I make two pans of five each (he eats two, she eats three) and that's two different meals out of that one prep time. I cut up chicken yesterday, and made various marinades, and for an hour's worth of fuss altogether I got four meals for the family out of it. A lot of times I will make a large batch of rice at dinner time, and then after dinner packet up the remainder for later use and freeze it. I often also put leftovers up into meals and freeze those, and that makes lunches both for work and home easier. The list lets me know exactly what I need when, and that makes prep work easy.

I don't consider it weak to use packets if you want! I just can't because I'm sensitive to the preservatives, intolerant of fructose, and eat a low salt diet. So working from scratch is what I have to do.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,720 Member
    Options
    ha! the packet was week... but I don't even remember right now what I wanted to say. In general the feeling I was trying to convey was that the gravy out of that package was not impressive! Maybe I wrote crap and google didn't like it?
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ha! the packet was week... but I don't even remember right now what I wanted to say. In general the feeling I was trying to convey was that the gravy out of that package was not impressive! Maybe I wrote crap and google didn't like it?

Honestly, I've not usually been impressed with packet gravies. I can do a roux based sauce or a cornstarch bound one just as quickly, and with good broth and some spices and herbs and maybe a stealthy shot of red wine or sherry, I can come up with a nice gravy or au jus or sauce pretty easy.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,877 Member
    Options
    Today is Easter brunch leftovers to be indulged in moderation. And the calorific stuff will be avoided! Noticed the salt impact from the ham on the scale today. So there will be lots of water drinking.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Piffle... the salt will sort itself! :wink: Hope you had a good Easter!
  • Janatki
    Options
    Beef stir fry with spicy noodles, coconut & lemon grass sauce
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nice clean non messy dishes... I am sure our Connie would appreciate them all nice and non-touching!!!! :lol:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    Options
    I don't like things to be sloppy either. We're all having leftovers for lunch cause sometimes you have to clean out the fridge.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Tonight is “ fried “ chicken tenders, grilled asparagus, and baked sweet potatoes…
  • Janatki
    Options
    Turkey pasta bake, garlic bread & salad for tea tonight 😋
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,877 Member
    Options
    Rice Krispies and a small vanilla yogurt cause I just can’t be bothered to make or eat a real meal today. Is it possible to be too tired to chew?