Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    I mixed potatoes with cucumbers and onion today. It was a cold salad with Dijon, horseradish, vinegar and bit of oil dressing. Tasty with a skinless roasted chicken leg. There was a small green salad with tomatoes, radishes, carrot.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds good Yooly!….we had cooked diced chicken mixed with peppers and onions,black beans, mexi corn and fajita seasoning with a splash of wine to deglaze the pan!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    PAV you are allowed to mix peas and mashed potatoes but not green beans!
    But I'm a rebel without a clue! And I spent my calories on Clif bars :lol:
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight for them is chicken enchiladas with rice and beans and pico de gallo and all that. I am having a taco salad as I don't like enchiladas. Son doesn't like Mexican, but knows that on Friday night he handles his own dinner.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I'm surprised people find Mexican filling for the calories!

I'm maybe less exposed to the cuisine other than through local restaurants and vacation hot spot tourist traps. But in general I would classify what I've eaten as high calories for satiation level

I suspect maybe because it's all restaurant level as opposed to home cooked?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Probably PAV, and God knows what you mix in your final dish!….I make bean enchiladas with cheese on top and use the 45 calorie tortillas….I get three very filling ones after I add peppers, onions, and black olives!…

Tonight we are having beef tenderloin ( filet mignon ), roasted asparagus with the real shredded parm on top, and salads with beets, blue cheese and honey roasted pecan pieces!….I figure I might as well eat the foods I love in a smaller amount!…quality over quantity tonight!….coffee and a Pamela’s walnut oatmeal cookie for dessert!
    Options
    They seem to be pretty happy with them. I put about an ounce of meat in each, and with the bean smear and the cheese, there's plenty to satiate.

I'm leaving the frying up of the sausage and the lamb and grinding that lamb roast down for tomorrow. There's some overripe bananas that need to be converted into muffins. I'm not tired of banana muffins yet. Especially not with mini chocolate chips in them. (grin)
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    WALMART!!!! :rage: They SHORTED MY BUNNIES! :angry: My 500g of cauliflower is ONLY 492g! I am 8g short of a full stack!!!! :anguished:

See Connie this is where I would play with logging. AND I would both eat more and less!

Beef tenderloin. A very lean meat. If you separate out the fat etc, could even come UNDER 1.5 Cal per gram. So an 8oz--pre-cooked--piece can easily come at about 316 Cal. Add some fat during cooking or serving with butter on top--about 350 Cal all together. (actually, because, reasons... I would personally do a 6oz pre-cooked piece by preference but I am assuming you're heading into this with as high or higher of a caloric need since you've been cleaning all day!!!)

I love love your choice of blue cheese and real parm. Blue cheese because the stronger the cheese the less cheese you can get away with using while still getting taste. Real parm for similar reasons. Though I might be tempted to go for petals instead of shred. But mainly whichever makes hamster happy but keeps calories to minimum. Cheddar, mozza, other "not too pungent" cheeses? I tend to use a LOT more for effect. <-- me of course. Others could be different!

Asparagus? THAT sucker? I would maximize! Throw me a lb baby! Even more! Your 16oz of asparagus before cooking costs you LESS than 100 Cal!

So between 8oz of beef and a lb of asparagus we have barely 450 Cal.

44 Cal per 100g for beets.... woohoo! Another lb of goodies for just 200 Cal.

60 Cal for 0.5oz of real parmesan. OK.

100 Cal for 1 oz of blue cheese. 180 Cal for 1oz of honey roasted pecans... hmmmmmm

The parm would make it. I'll be honest though. Depending on the day and deficit, I am not sure if the rest would make it as is. Maybe yes. Maybe not. I mean I am paying half the price of plain 8oz beef and asparagus for "salad enhancement" :lol: Before adding dressing!

So, I would be tempted to "cheat" and use less which may or may not work given the quantity of beets.
    Or I would "cheat" and replace the pecan nuts. For example I might go and use sunflower seeds or slivered almonds (similar cal per gram but more visual and per bite coverage because they are smaller/thinner and spread out more. And then some sugar and/or liquid sucralose in combination if I really really wanted to get the sweet part of the pecans which, I admit, will go nicely with the beets. Or maybe some raisins or cubed dried prunes to get the sweetness effect without resorting to sweeteners!
    And WOWSER CITY: do you ever have bunnies there!!!!

And then I would turn around and trade the pecan calories for... you guessed it... a fiber one brownie!

Actually I wouldn't do the fiber one. Connie, they're expensive up here, but have you checked out these guys? https://smartsweets.com/ I MAYBE had three bags yesterday (cola bottles, sour watermelon, sour gummies)... :innocent:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    The calorie counts you have are pretty close to what I counted them….I only had 1T. of glazed pecan pieces and I had 4.5 oz. of meat….I am trying to eat about 1500 calories a day but I am not going to eat all of the exercise calories….they are kind of like a secret stash if I want or need them…my worst or best ( however you look at it ) thing I do is eat the bulk of my calories from dinner until bed time….I rarely eat breakfast and I have a light lunch but by dinner I am hungry!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    frying up of the sausage and the lamb and grinding that lamb roast down for tomorrow.

Did I tell you that I almost bought a ticket for "Alexandra's house in the USA" when I saw you were going to grind your own lamb to make lamb gyro? I could have! I maybe snuck a peak at sale prices even!!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I mixed potatoes with cucumbers and onion today. It was a cold salad with Dijon, horseradish, vinegar and bit of oil dressing. Tasty with a skinless roasted chicken leg. There was a small green salad with tomatoes, radishes, carrot.

So either at my advanced old age I am starting to forget things?!?!?! OR, M - EF - Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! is, as usual, not populating some forum posts till later!

:disappointed:

This sounds like a REAL INTERESTING salad @Yoolypr :blush:
    Options
    I believe in eating smaller portions of Real Food. I have to deal with enough things I can't eat to rule anything else out unless it doesn't agree with me.
    Options
    I'm trying to decide between a muffin and a bath. I think it will be a bath.

No, I don't eat in the bathtub. Autism has decided that's just WRONG.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    And don't forget that it prevents soggy muffins ❣️😹
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am like The Cat In The Hat….

I can eat on a train
    I can eat in a car!
    I can eat on a plane
    I can!

I can eat on a bus
    I can eat in the tub!
    I can eat on a rhinoceros
    I can!

I can eat in the park
    I can eat at the mall!
    I can eat in the dark
    I can

I can eat anywhere!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I am like The Cat In The Hat…. I can eat anywhere!

But not if the muffin is touching the tub!!!! :lol::kissing_heart:
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Tea - defrosted spicy bean chilli & rice… ok so rice is no bunny 😒😏… how come spud is? 😠 Mmph … sulking here! 😁😁😁😘
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Muffin the bath tub is just a no! Eating anything in th bath tub is a no from me! Also - might seem strange, but I can’t eat during the night, no matter how much the hamsters are screaming in “hunger”. ‘Bout you? I can drink water in the night if needed….
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,769 Member
    Options
    Agreed. In almost 57 years I’ve never once got up to eat something once I’ve hit the hay. It would be almost unthinkable...
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a 24 hour eater here. Wake me up and I’m fully capable of having a nosh or two. 🥴