WaistAways Team Chat - NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• littlemzkitty
    littlemzkitty Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    PW: 230.0
    CW: 229.5

A half pound is a half pound, especially the week of Thanksgiving and having a cold (?).
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,190 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our 2 new members! @LalasCrazyWorld and @petexj78 - it will be great to get to know you and have you in here keeping us all going. We aim to have everyone's voices in our heads to help steady those moments when we need to change habits, and celebrate when we get it. Tell us about yourselves, ask any questions you have, and get ready for a great December :smiley:
  • petexj78
    petexj78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!! I am excited to be part of this team! I am in US, Michigan. Married with 3 older kids (18, 21 and 24) My biggest struggle has been willpower. I usually don't have a problem talking myself into going to work out, but when it comes to eating it seems like someone else is driving and I am just along for the ride.. I am currently trying out OMAD, or One meal a day. I can normally pack 2000 calories into my dinner (plus my other meals!) so I figured I can try only eating dinner for a while and see how it goes. I have lost weight on here before but have struggled to keep it off. My success in the past has always been due to the support of others here and being part of this team will hopefully help me succeed because I hate letting people down! My workouts are usually at planet fitness, treadmill for 30 minutes, at a faster speed, above walking but lower than running! My target is usually just to get my HR rate above 120. Then 3 days a week I use the cable weight machines. I also try to get some hiking in whenever possible and do backpacking trips. And when a pool is available I like lap swimming as well. My goal for the month of December is just to get down to about 265. I am currently 280'ish, but that's mostly thanksgiving weight, I was 273 before thanksgiving. I look forward to getting to know you guys and helping the team reach our goals!
  • jugar
    Options
    Great to meet you @petexj78 - I take it your name is Pete?

I'm sure most of us can relate to that feeling of being in the passenger's seat when it comes to eating. I like your attitude of experimentation - try that OMAD, and if it doesn't suit you, or it works for a while then drives you too crazy, change it up. I have found that one method will not do it forever. Bodies are fussy things, it seems :warning: I hope this team supplies some camaraderie and encouragement, as well as the occasional boot inspiration!

Willpower is something that gets worn out very fast and just trying to change behaviour isn't enough. Get some emotion into it - how you "get to" eat healthy food and keep your body strong and in good shape instead of how you are "not allowed" to do things. And yeah, we all go off track sometimes anyhow. You'll hear about the team's "one perfect day" method soon enough! After a wild time, it is so hard to get back going, but just getting one day right on track seems to turn things around pretty well. It feels great, and makes it easier to stick with it. So welcome aboard!
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    PW: 212.0
    CW: 213.6

I thought I did well this week, but I did eat out of the norm last Thursday and Friday.

@petexj78 welcome to the team! I found myself nodding my head when I read your post. I am the same way, have gotten my exercise routine down and it has become habit. Now if only I could wire my mouth shut, I may lose weight.

Also welcome to @LalasCrazyWorld! I like your user name...mainly because Lala was my nickname growing up!

@jugar I like your outhouse! Handy to have if you lose power. Hopefully it's not too often since you seem to get a lot of snow.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I apologize - this is a LONG catch up post.

@ashleycarole86 – I know @jugar already touched on this, but it is interesting how things often need to get worse before they can get better. I wonder why it is this way. And, I hope you’re feeling healthier!

@EvMakesChanges – Great job on dropping into a lower decade! Keep it up! Also, good job on fully “retiring from alcohol.” I’m not sure I’ll ever be to that point or want to be, but I also don’t know what life has in store for me. So, maybe. At this time, I am so proud of myself for stopping with the one remaining hard seltzer left from our trip last night. The normal for our house is to make drinking a daily thing after vacations, but this time it feels different. Neither my OH or I gave in to the desire to pick up a 6-pack on the way home. That is (kind of sadly) huge for us.

@wishfuljune – that salad sounds AMAZING! NYC is a fun city. Too bad you had to work so much while you were there, but it is great that you were able to get dinner with your cousin and a couple workouts in!

@Kali225 – your tenacity to keep with your workouts is incredible and it seems to really be helping you reach your weight loss and health goals! You earned those sheets! Btw, what is your NFL team? Lastly, how is your pre 10:30pm MFP check-in goal going this week?

@leni1us – slow is great! Slow in the right direction is still weight loss. Slow in the wrong direction is easy to overcome. Slow is great and I love that you are embracing it because slow will get you to your goal a lot faster than giving in to the discouragement.

@lauren_989 – You mentioned that you lost your why. Maybe it’s just time for a different why. What was your why before, and what would need to happen for it to motivate you again? If your why has changed, what do you think could motivate you now? I do like what @jugar said about how the why can come back after a perfect day. Did that happen for you?

Your family sounds a lot like mine. It is huge. We invited well over 300 people to our wedding, over 200 of which were just my family members. It did include first cousins and their kids, so a little extended family in there, but even without that, it is huge. It can definitely make for some fun memories, though.

@micki48 – I love, love, love Brooks. I get the Ghosts as well. Not the Max. I think I am on the Ghost 15. I am so happy that you were able to find a shoe that works. And, I honestly think Brooks can make cute shoes, it just takes some searching for the print/colors you like. Also, adorable grand kitties!

@jugar – I love hearing about your adventures with Jasper. My niece, who just turned 16 in September, has been riding horses since she was very young. In the last couple of years, she has started breaking and training mustangs which has been fun to watch. I personally am afraid of horses and other big animals. But, in supporting my niece, I have learned how to be less afraid.

Sorry to hear about the snow keeping you stuck at home. I hope you can get a new appointment for your tires scheduled this week! I know the snow we had when I got home from vacation was startling. I guess it was more the temperature as I saw pictures of the snow. We had perfect 75 to 80 degree Fahrenheit weather in Mexico, with lows in the 60s.

@eggfreak – We are definitely here for you if you need it! I respect you might not see this if you have already bowed out. I look forward to hearing from you again in January.

@Gidgitgoescrzy – How scary it must have been to think you had a fracture in your back! I am so relieved that is not what it is! Also, that is very interesting about sinus congestion causing chest pain. I’m glad the meds worked for that. Lastly, kudos to you for continuing to strengthen your core to help your spine! Core strength is so important.

@cleaneater80 – great job on the job interview! It is such a wonderful feeling coming out of those knowing you did your best regardless of the outcome. Good work on reducing your alcohol intake, too. Every little bit helps.

@YinxFed – Gains will happen. It is a rollercoaster of a ride, after all. I hope you know that you have support from all of us and I wish for your dark cloud to blow on out. I’ll send positive thoughts your way.

@petexj78 & @LalasCrazyWorld – Welcome! We have a fun, supportive group and I look forward to you both being a part of it. Also, @petexj78, thank you for sharing about yourself. And, as @jugar said, many of us understand being a passenger to eating (or in my case, drinking). Hopefully, we can be the added support you need to help you reach your goal.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    Welcome @petexj78 and @LalasCrazyWorld!

@jugar - Sorry to hear you lost power, but that’s great you have a back-up with your outhouse! I can’t believe the amount of snow you have already (assuming the picture is recent). It was flurrying here this morning but nothing has quite stuck yet.

I had my dietician appointment this morning and I’m down 2.5 lbs from my last appointment earlier this month, so that made me feel great because I have traveled 3 out of 5 weeks this month for personal and work commitments.

Until my next appointment, my goal is to stick within my calorie deficit 6/7 days for the next two weeks in anticipation of my next work travel/event and stay consistent with my workouts by aiming for 5 workouts a week (not including my walks with my dog & hubs).
  • MaddawgMadsen
    Options
    @ashleycarole86

Thursday, November 16 - 2,039 steps (this was just packing since I forgot my watch most the day, so I know it was over 6,000)
    Friday, November 17 - 8,138 steps, 1 hour of spin
    Saturday, November 18 - 7,775 steps, 45 minutes on stationary bike
    Sunday, November 19 - 10,897 steps
    Monday, November 20 - 4,680 steps
    Tuesday, November 21 - 4,310 steps
    Wednesday, November 22 - 11,159 steps, 18 holes of golf with a cart
    Thursday, November 23 - 3,006 steps
    Friday, November 24 - 2,532 steps
    Saturday, November 25 - 5,510 steps
    Sunday, November 26 - 3,481 steps
    Monday, November 27 - 5,091 steps

I am pretty lazy on vacation! It definitely is hard getting back into a normal routine now that we are back. I have had neck/shoulder pain for over a week. By the feel of it, I think I pulled a muscle in my neck and it sending pain through my shoulder. I don't feel like it kept me from doing stuff during my trip, but the constant pain is quite annoying. Today is the best it has felt since it started, so I am hoping by tomorrow I can take it easy on the spin bike and start to get back to my routine.
  • jugar
    Options
    We have another new member on the way, and by the sounds of it they like working out for strength and that wonderful residual calorie burn than building muscle gives us. @Sta827 will be along soon, I hope! It looks like we are going to have some great new energy for December!
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Happy last Tuesday of the month! I've started doing some crocheting and needle felting (fondly nicknamed, "Stabbage" in my house) now that winter seems to be here. It's hard to work on things when it's warm out so, it's my wintertime indoor fun. I plan to get myself into snowshoing shape in the next few weeks. I'll need to replace the snowshoes I passed along to @jugar but that'll be nice, especially when I lose some of the center-of-bod weight in the next few months. I started to work out with a small gym and a husband/wife Coach-team. They include nuitrition assessments as well as coaching about various exercise techniques. They offer in-gym classes, online classes, and "off-line" classes to do as you can. Working on all of the aspects on a rotational basis is helping, so far. When I start to distract myself, the Coach kicks it up a notch and works on "what's between my ears". That's a really big help!
    I'll pass along some kernels of wisdom soon.
    Have a good night. See you tomorrow.
  • LalasCrazyWorld
    LalasCrazyWorld Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm really looking forward to December's challenge and what it has in store for us and getting to you all. I also live in the US, and I'm single and retired, due to health issues. Since I don't have any family in my life, nor any children. I decided this might be a good opportunity to get involved with a group of like-minded people.

Back in my early thirties I weighed 400 lbs, and lost over 100 lbs ( just by walking everywhere I went, didn't change the way I ate though) that first 100 lbs seemed to melt away. I've been able to keep from gaining all that weight back.

However, the last two or three years it's been different, since I have started having health issues and not being able to walk like I did before, I have fluctuated between 30 & 40 lbs, which has made me more determined to get the rest of this excess weight off. I've lost 30 lbs so far and believe, being on this team and MFP, I'll be able to accomplish this.

Thank you @lauren_989 😃 Lala is also my nickname, and it's what I go by now.

• Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    @EvMakesChanges the last Tuesday of the month?! that gave me a jolt. how is it almost December.

@MaddawgMadsen you covered all the bases in that post!! it is just 10pm now so I would say I have gotten 3 check-ins done before 10:30pm, which is superb. I cannot wait to hit the hay tonight. My team is the Packers, but this is the first year ever that I also joined a fantasy football league so I find myself MUCH more invested in a bunch of other games every week - which is exactly why I resisted fantasy for so long! It's been fun overall (I'm actually in first place right now, in a league of mostly guys at my office - girl power coming through!!) but also weirdly stressful?? haha.

I had to move my arm workout for today to (hopefully) tomorrow. I am simply bushed. Delicious dinners this week of chicken cutlets with a vodka sauce (I added a little protein powder to the sauce), mozzarella on top, with rigatoni and my favorite autumn squash & apple salad on the side. but my glutes were delightfully sore from last night's workout. I did dance around my kitchen a bit while dinner heated up, so I wouldn't say it was a movement-less day! :)

Welcome to our new folks!!
  • jugar
    Options
    @LalasCrazyWorld I love all the LA names! My initials are LA (I have no middle name), I have played in a duo with another musician whose initials are also LA, so we were Duo LaLa! And my favourite username that I often use is LABLABLA - cause I like to talk a lot...

It's great to have you back @MaddawgMadsen ! We missed you :heart: And that is fabulous fitness news from my sister @EvMakesChanges - getting some direct guidance and sometimes a boot on the rear or a good brain cleaning helps a lot! I like that you can do all the formats from live to offline.

And @Kali225 checked in before 10:30, had sore glutes, and danced in the kitchen. You go, Kay!

Hump Day is up! Weigh-ins due through Wednesday:
    @strong_fit_ells
    @MaddawgMadsen
    @Gidgitgoescrzy

I'm going to get a little bit of exercise bike in still.... It's late, but why not? I carried heavy stuff up my hill in the snow and had a wild lunging session with Jasper that got us both going and laughing, I swear. So it has been a good movement day. Not my greatest food effort though - tomorrow aiming for something a bit closer to perfect!
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    PW 166
    CW 163.8

Woohoo, I'm proud of myself for this after a 4 day weekend. :smiley:

I couldn't imagine having snow already, I had to put on the heavy coat this morning and that was all the winter I need for the year...

Have a great day !

• jugar
    Options
    PW 166
    CW 163.8

Woohoo, I'm proud of myself for this after a 4 day weekend. :smiley:

I couldn't imagine having snow already, I had to put on the heavy coat this morning and that was all the winter I need for the year...

Have a great day !

You SHOULD be proud! Great job!

but...

You are a wimp. :wink: Winter rules! There's a famous song by an old singer-songwriter from here in Québec. It has become the anthem of the province in a way - both for its celebration of winter and of the power and emotion of this French speaking island in North America. Its chorus is "Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays - c'est l'hiver!" - My country is not a country, it's winter!
  • MaddawgMadsen
    Options
    PW: 172.2
    CW: 170.4 ... I am SOOOO close to the next decade.

@ashleycarole86 - will you take me off the step goal for December? I should be able to join back up January.

@jugar - I like snow... when I go to it, not when it comes to me. I got in an accident on this day last year that really messed up my back (and apparently destroyed the back axle of my 4Runner :# ). It was the first snow and apparently there was a patch of ice under some of the snow that sent me for a spin. However, the first snow of the year happened while I was in Mexico. It is still on the ground, but not the roads. We are expected to get some more tonight, and then all of tomorrow and Friday. It definitely does not help that I have a 12-mile, two lane highway commute combined with a new apprehension of driving on the snow. If it stayed on the mountains where I could visit it and it would provide us with water the next year, that would be great. But, alas, it does not do as I think it should ;)

@Kali225 - Go Pack Go! I'm also a Packers fan. And, this is the first year in many I haven't done fantasy football because I knew I wouldn't have the time. I definitely miss watching all the games and having someone to root for.

• Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    starting this entry at 10:29pm!! that counts!

got a 54 min walk in, and my arm workout from yesterday which felt really great. whew. dinner was good tonight and I have more prepped for tomorrow. icing my foot now - I have to remember to ice more during the days that I work from home. no reason not to take advantage. My new running shoes arrived today and they look great. I moved my inserts over and re-laced the right one for my tendonitis-y foot (learned online that lacing a different way can help relieve pressure on the extensor tendon and I think I noticed that relief!). will test them out this weekend.

@jugar I just opened youtube to find that song - I think I could say my country is winter! I started making a list of all the ski mountains/resorts I am hopeful to hit this season. Although, it occurred to me that I should try on my ski pants soon and see where I am at. some more non-scale motivation there, if they aren't fitting right now. :/ I haven't snowboarded the last two seasons due to poor snow and busy schedule.

@MaddawgMadsen big Packers game this Sunday night!! Love when the Pack has primetime games because they will definitely be in-market for me haha. No sketchy online streams to search for. I think we can take Kansas City. >:) I have Doubs and Dillon in my league and will be playing at least one of them!

A small non-scale victory. I ran into a neighbor getting my mail yesterday evening. I haven't seen her around in a few weeks. She asked me if I had lost weight! Said she could see it in my face. I do seem to gain and lose in my face first, which is a blessing and a curse. But moving in the right direction at the moment!

Night all.
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Options
    Kali225 wrote: »

@MaddawgMadsen big Packers game this Sunday night!! Love when the Pack has primetime games because they will definitely be in-market for me haha. No sketchy online streams to search for. I think we can take Kansas City. >:) I have Doubs and Dillon in my league and will be playing at least one of them!

I am rooting for you guys, I need to you beat the Chiefs, keeps us in as # 1seed, since we have a bye week. Go RAVENS ! :smiley:
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Options
    I did well last night, walked for 30 minutes, then I learned how to make smoothies, so I am going to make those for a bit instead of my protein shake for breakfast. I am trying to stay away from processed, and even though those shakes are yummy and healthy, they are processed.

So this morning it's a blueberry, blackberry, banana, mango, apple and hemp seed smoothie for me today. It's quite yummy, and it's not so bad, I REFUSE to eat any kind of berry in its natural form, but apparently freezing then pulverizing them is okay, cause I kind of like it... So I can finally get those berry benefits...

If you have any great smoothie recipes, or ideas, let me know. I don't necessarily need it to be low Cal, I just want whole fresh ingredients, no sugar, and no milk, I seem to be lactose intolerant.
This discussion has been closed.