Week 5

Options

Replies

• DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    Wel done you lot... I did D1 today... and whilst i was fearing what was to come, I kinda suprised myself and surpassed all my expectations.

I also find that once ive cracked on through the first minute or so of running, I settle down into my rythm and before i know it "Laura" is telling me to slow down to a brisk walk.

Here's hoping that the same continues, on Tuesday morning, for my attempt at W5D2 and the 8minute stints...
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    just finished week 4 training yesterday and having cold feet to begin week 5....
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 5 Day 3 last night (3 days late I might add) and it was alot easier than I expected. I had to slow down on the way back but I am running 4 min km on the way out and 5 min km on the way back. I want to keep ym speed consistent at 4min km. But Im not quite there yet.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 5 - finished day 1 today and I felt great afterward. Taking a day off before hitting the two 8-minute intervals... and then day 3 scares me.
  • jovz10
    Options
    Started my week 5 yesterday.... My legs are sore today...
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    Did D1 on Sunday... D2 wednesday and doing D3 tomorrow. Legs a little sore this morning... Didnt help kettlebelling the hell out of my legs on Tuesday!!!
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    Did D1 on Sunday... D2 wednesday and doing D3 tomorrow. Legs a little sore this morning... Didnt help kettlebelling the hell out of my legs on Tuesday!!!

Was still a little stiff, yesterday, so I was up and out at 6am this morning.. IN THE RAIN!! I might add.....

5 min warm up walk, then the voice in my ear buds said "right.. get ready.. 20mins none stop...." O M G G!!

Half talking myself out of it, I focused, dug deep, sniffed back the rain drops trickling down my nose and got stuck in.

20mins later and im breezing towards my cooldown 5mins... WHOOHOO!!

Bring on W6D1
  • tageekly
    Options

Was still a little stiff, yesterday, so I was up and out at 6am this morning.. IN THE RAIN!! I might add.....

5 min warm up walk, then the voice in my ear buds said "right.. get ready.. 20mins none stop...." O M G G!!

Half talking myself out of it, I focused, dug deep, sniffed back the rain drops trickling down my nose and got stuck in.

20mins later and im breezing towards my cooldown 5mins... WHOOHOO!!

Bring on W6D1

Great job!! I also lived through W5D3 today and it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. It wasn't easy either but I found that at the end of 20 minutes I could have kept going. I certainly didn't but I hope that's a good sign for W6.
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Week 5 day 1 done yay. Was feeling good come the 5 minute mark so kep going, and like others say, after about 10 minutes you get a groove happening. I ended up doing the 20 minutes, and it's only day 1!! Very happy with myself.
    Course, now I have to repat it on day 2...
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had no trouble with W5D1 or W5D2 but wasn't able to do W5D3 without stopping in the middle of the 20 minute run. Not sure if I should start week 6 or try week 5 again.
  • tageekly
    Options
    I had no trouble with W5D1 or W5D2 but wasn't able to do W5D3 without stopping in the middle of the 20 minute run. Not sure if I should start week 6 or try week 5 again.

It's up to you really. If I had really struggled through Day 3 I would probably repeat Week 5 to build up more endurance.
  • jovz10
    Options
    going for my Week 5 day 3 today... i did fine for my day 1 and 2 but not quite looking forward for the 8min run interval for day 3...
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

go ahead to week 6 IMO - if you are follownig the cool running plan week 6 drops back to some interval runs for day 1 and 2. Then you can repeat week 6 if you can't do a 20 minute run on day 3.

Jovz what schedule are you following? yours is a bit different than mine.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    go ahead to week 6 IMO - if you are follownig the cool running plan week 6 drops back to some interval runs for day 1 and 2. Then you can repeat week 6 if you can't do a 20 minute run on day 3.
    See now.. this kinda puzzles me. Why get to a single 20min run then drop back? Yea I know its a tried n tested method to build stamina and endurance, BUT at the end of my 20min W5D3 run, I felt like I could have easily squeezed out the next 10mins.

Im tempted to jump into the battle, that is W9, and see how I get on.

Any thoughts?

Jovz what schedule are you following? yours is a bit different than mine.

Mine too.. Im doing the NHS C25K. W5D3 is a straight 20min run, with a 5min warm up and cooldown walk.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it - it sounds like you aren't really starting from the couch anyhow.

I just finished week 5 and I actually think the drop back sort of makes sense - but overall its a very slow build. So some people (my boyfriend) probably need the build up to 22-25 minutes (which is what week 6 is) whereas I could probably just do another day of a 20 minute, then do a 22, then a 25, etc. I probably don't need the extra build up because I didn't genuinely start from the COUCH - I was new to running but I'd been walking/playing dance games for cardio for several weeks (..months?) before I started this.

There's a vast difference between my cardio fitness and my boyfriends who literally did start this program from absolutely zero exercise. Like we both finished the 20 minute run, but at the end of it his breathing and heart rate dropped very slowly over the 5 minute cooldown walk, whereas my heartrate goes straight back down pretty -- I walked with him for 5 and then I sprinted to the end of the block, dance-walked down the street, jogged backwards, etc. He probably will benefit from dropping back to intervals from a cardio health perspective though.

I'm just going to do all the weeks since I'm doing it with him, but if you want to skip, I see no reason why you can't skip.

Why don't you try doing week 7 and then at the 25 minute mark if you still have that extra 5 minutes in you, go for it and rename it week 9.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    well... I tried it.

Set off, after my 5min warm up walk, and stopped to take a drink at 15mins. 30secs or so and back at it. I managed 25mins, in total, then ran out of trail.

I felt it alot more than the 20min W5D3.

Maybe the drop back is to allow your legs to "recover" from the 20min run, growing more acustomed to the longer stints.

As I said, I tried it. Back to the plan on Wednesday morning.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    just finished week 4 training yesterday and having cold feet to begin week 5....

I felt the same way. I did W4D3 twice (Saturday and Monday) and I did W5D1 today. It was not as bad as I thought, but I think I may also repeat W5D1 tomorrow before I move on to the 8 minutes. I never felt like I wanted to quit, but I was definitely breathing harder during the 6 minute run.
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Did week 5 day 2 yesterday. Ran it at 10km/hr (6.25 mph)
    Friday - aagh. I WANT to do the full 20 minutes at 10km/hr but I don't know...
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    After pushing myself WAY too hard through W1-W3 (I did them all in 2 weeks), I had to take two weeks off to rest my knee which was swollen and angry because of overuse.

Happy to report, though, that I sailed through W5D3 with flying colors yesterday (actuallly, the last 5 minutes were a little tough, but when she told me to stop, I got another wind and almost kept going!), and am looking forward to doing W5D4 tomorrow morning before work!

I use the "Get Running" app for iPhone, and at the end of W5D3 she says "Well, you just ran for twenty minutes. If you weren't a runner before, you sure can call yourself one now!" and that made me feel like a million bucks! xx
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Woo Hoo! Did the dreaded 20 min run this morning and felt great! Never would have thought......I found a partner to run with me lately which has helped a lot. She's not a huge runner but is a notch above me and was interested in seing what this was all about. Now I have her getting up 1/2 hr earlier than normal to join me!