Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This is my typical schedule...

Monday: Lift, 20 minute run , ellipitcal or stair stepper
    Tuesday: BodyAttack (60 minute high intensity cardio- kind of like aerobics)
    Wednesday: Lift, 20 min. run or elliptical
    Thursday: BodyAttack plus a 30 minutes of core exercises/ab dvd
    Friday: 1 hour zumba
    Saturday: Hike/walk with dogs, lift
    Sunday: yoga

On my lifting days, I do 15-20 minutes of cardio first. I like to start with it to warm up. Some people prefer to focus their energy on lifts first, I think that's your call. Sometimes I break it up by doing a run at lunch, then lifting after work.

When I started the program I was lifting M-W-F, but I switched to M-W-Sat and this seems to help. When I was lifting M-W-F, my arms were dead by Friday and I was more fatigued. I still do cardio in between, but I recover from that faster than weights. Also the gym is much less busy on Saturday so I can do my routine easier which is nice.

Really though it's different for everyone and you just need to listen to your body. I prefer the stair stepper, but if I'm sore from squats I'll do the elliptical instead. From week to week it will vary also just depending on TOM, how you've been eating, how much sleep you've had, stress at work, etc. Some weeks you maybe need to go easier on the cardio than others.

This is a good program and I think for most people you should be about to do anywhere from 2-6 hours of cardio a week no problem. If you're trying to train for a marathon AND do this program though, I might re-think that. It helps me to put it in the context of nutrion: consider how much the nutritional requirements change for running vs. weight lifting (protein and carb requirements shift dramatically).

My "day off" is my yoga day. I don't think you need to take any days off as long as you vary the types of activity. Sometimes I also play golf or go to the driving range on the weekends as an alternative. I'm still breaking a sweat, but minimizing the risk of injury by doing different activities that all use different muscle groups. I'm young though and used to pushing myself hard as I've always been an athlete and maintained a 6 day training schedule for most of my life. On the opposite end, I say never take more than a 3 day rest. I think any more than that just sets you back, but that's my opinion. This book advocates one week rests between stages. I will be hiking, walking the dog, doing yoga, golf and other "fun" workouts during this time. I won't be lifting heavy, but you bet I'll be active.

Whatever you do, listen to your body!!!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just did workout 1A for the 3rd time (only 12 reps this time).

I think the good thing about decreasing reps is- it's not so scary to increase the weight! I'm trying to increase the big lifts (deadlifts/squats) by 2kg (4.5lb) each time, but this time i also increased the step ups and dumbell rows by the same too. I think i'm only going to increase weights for those smaller moves every other go, otherwise it'll be too much.

I am SO enjoying this, i can feel my thighs getting stronger and my shoulders look better already! I'm even considering venturing down a step on the pushups next time. If you don't hear from me in a few days, you'll know it ended in tears!
    I'm glad you mentioned how much you increase each time, I was going to ask the question but not sure it'd already been asked. I'm increasing by 1 kg at the moment but its good to see that 2kg is possible so may be brave and increase more.

Re cardio I do 2 HIIT sessions on the days I don't lift and so have 2 full days rest. I'm eating at maintenance and finding I'm hungrier so hoping thats the signal my metabolism is firing on all cylinders. Quite excited about getting to the end of this stage and re-measuring to see if I've lost inches. The scales show o.5% fat reduction since I started :drinker:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    QUESTION: I'm trying to get off of this plateau I've been on since October, and among other reasons, I'm hoping that weightlifting is a perfect solution to breaking my plateau. I've increased my calories to "maintenance" as Lou suggested in the book, and I just started NROL4W. So far, I've completed the first three workouts in Stage 1. I'm doing heavy lifting 3x per week and cardio the other three days with one rest day. My cardio is usually a mixture of step aerobics (high intensity with 8" step...sometimes with weights, sometimes not), Biggest Loser Boot Camp, Biggest Loser Cardio Max, or power walking. Just wondering how you're mixing in your cardio and when, and if your body is able to recover from the lifting nicely every other day. I've got to get better about my eating (I'm usually within my calorie goal, but I'd like to try the diet listed according to the book), but I can't do that until I can take some time to plan then go shopping. I'd appreciate any advice you can give :o)

Weightlifting can definitely help you break your plateau. As others have said, I think the program is flexible with doing some cardio. I decided and also following the suggestion of someone at another site to separate the cardio from the lifting workout. Also due to my schedule and wanting to take a day "off" from all types of workouts, I am only lifting twice a week, Fri and Sun. I teach Zumba Mon-Thu in the evenings so that is my cardio for one hour. Saturday is my day off. At first I wanted to lift 3 times a week but it was very difficult having to wake up early (4:45am) after going to bed around 10pm after teaching my Zumba class. This is working for me so far. I dont know how much it will change once I move on to the next stage. You also hit it right about thinking about your diet. It is definitely as important, if not more, as the lifting program itself. Eating more protein and more fat has definitely helped me. Also a calorie is not just a calorie, try to eat as clean as possible!!! And drink lots of water!!!

Kelsey, you are amazing!!!! I really would love to go back to doing yoga, especially bikram, but it is just so time consuming and have not been able to find the time. I do the P90X and could do some on my "off" days. I can benefit from the stretches and that would be the only day I could squeeze it in depending on what is going on.

Ok, so for me, another week of stage 1, Sun and next Fri. Then the special workout...what do you gals think about stage 2, those who are doing it now? Beeps? I did deadlifts today with 35lb DB in ea hand, it was hard!!! Not so sure I can do 40 but I will definitely try!!! Shoulders, I did 2 sets with 20lb DB, then tried 22.5 for last set and could only do 3!!!!! I had biceps tendonitis early last year and dont think have healed completely. I definitely felt it in that area so I am being cautious. Question about crunches, are you using a DB on your chest? I started with arms extended over my head, when that got easier I added a DB, today I ended up with a 25lb DB on my upper chest area. If not I just dont feel challenged with those. Lunges, I am just doing static lunges with 25lb DB in ea hand.

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday and did Workout A- how long is it actually meant to take because I was finished in 20 minutes, is it meant to take longer??
  • gillleeman
    Options
    QUESTION: I'm trying to get off of this plateau I've been on since October, and among other reasons, I'm hoping that weightlifting is a perfect solution to breaking my plateau. I've increased my calories to "maintenance" as Lou suggested in the book, and I just started NROL4W. So far, I've completed the first three workouts in Stage 1. I'm doing heavy lifting 3x per week and cardio the other three days with one rest day. My cardio is usually a mixture of step aerobics (high intensity with 8" step...sometimes with weights, sometimes not), Biggest Loser Boot Camp, Biggest Loser Cardio Max, or power walking. Just wondering how you're mixing in your cardio and when, and if your body is able to recover from the lifting nicely every other day. I've got to get better about my eating (I'm usually within my calorie goal, but I'd like to try the diet listed according to the book), but I can't do that until I can take some time to plan then go shopping. I'd appreciate any advice you can give :o)

Weightlifting can definitely help you break your plateau. As others have said, I think the program is flexible with doing some cardio. I decided and also following the suggestion of someone at another site to separate the cardio from the lifting workout. Also due to my schedule and wanting to take a day "off" from all types of workouts, I am only lifting twice a week, Fri and Sun. I teach Zumba Mon-Thu in the evenings so that is my cardio for one hour. Saturday is my day off. At first I wanted to lift 3 times a week but it was very difficult having to wake up early (4:45am) after going to bed around 10pm after teaching my Zumba class. This is working for me so far. I dont know how much it will change once I move on to the next stage. You also hit it right about thinking about your diet. It is definitely as important, if not more, as the lifting program itself. Eating more protein and more fat has definitely helped me. Also a calorie is not just a calorie, try to eat as clean as possible!!! And drink lots of water!!!

Kelsey, you are amazing!!!! I really would love to go back to doing yoga, especially bikram, but it is just so time consuming and have not been able to find the time. I do the P90X and could do some on my "off" days. I can benefit from the stretches and that would be the only day I could squeeze it in depending on what is going on.

[Ok, so for me, another week of stage 1, Sun and next Fri. Then the special workout...what do you gals think about stage 2, those who are doing it now? Beeps? I did deadlifts today with 35lb DB in ea hand, it was hard!!! Not so sure I can do 40 but I will definitely try!!! Shoulders, I did 2 sets with 20lb DB, then tried 22.5 for last set and could only do 3!!!!! I had biceps tendonitis early last year and dont think have healed completely. I definitely felt it in that area so I am being cautious. Question about crunches, are you using a DB on your chest? I started with arms extended over my head, when that got easier I added a DB, today I ended up with a 25lb DB on my upper chest area. If not I just dont feel challenged with those. Lunges, I am just doing static lunges with 25lb DB in ea hand.] x

Have a great evening!!! :flowerforyou:
  • gillleeman
    Options
    ^^^^^^ sorry still trying to figure out the quote thing. How do you quote just one paragraph not the whole thing???????

Alf I just wanted to answer question re crunches. I found the weight on the chest offered very little challenge for me so I'm still doing the arms above the head holding a 3kg dumbell. Can really feel it upper rectus ab area.

kiera when I began it took about 25 mins, I did not pre-set warmups then. But now I'm lifting heavier and completing 3 sets not two I'm doing a pre-set warm up with a lighter weight and then the 3 sets so its taking about 45 mins now. I also run for 10 mins as a warm-up. Hope this helps.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^ sorry still trying to figure out the quote thing. How do you quote just one paragraph not the whole thing???????

Just cut out/delete the bits you don't want! And start typing your reply after the end quote (the bits in the square brackets mark the start and end of the quoted bit).
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first week and I don't hurt as bad as when I did my trial runs.
    The lunges are killing me though. What weights did everyone start at?
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to train for a marathon AND do this program though, I might re-think that.

This is a good point you raise, and one I struggle with. I think I might have too many competing goals!

A. I'm training for a mud run (April)
    B. I want to build muscle that befits a very strong goddess
    C. I want to engage in exercise that brings me JOY
    D. I want to lose fat

They're not all at cross purposes, but the mud run means I need to be able to run 5 miles steady state, and the joy thing means frequent salsa classes are a must-- those leave me with less energy to devote to lifting (I do it 3x/week, but with less energy reserves), which then means I will stay fat. jk about that last thing, but it does seem that I'm spread thinner than would be ideal.

Alas.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    I just completed my first week and I don't hurt as bad as when I did my trial runs.
    The lunges are killing me though. What weights did everyone start at?

You can see my weights (in kg) in my exercise diary if you like. I was happy today, did workout B for the 3rd time, so only 12 reps and i increased my deadlift by 4kg. Still can't increase weight on dumbell shoulder presses, man i hate those :sad:

Lunges aren't my fave either. Didn't increase weight on those today cos my knees are a bit achey. That aside, the main thing is to try and increase each time!
  • gillleeman
    Options

Just cut out/delete the bits you don't want! And start typing your reply after the end quote (the bits in the square brackets mark the start and end of the quoted bit).
    Thank you jenlwb :happy:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I did the last A workout of stage 1!!!!!! I will be doing B sometime this week. I have been doing the program lately twice a week on the days I dont teach Zumba but I would like to finish the special workout by next weekend so I can move on. So I might double on workouts this week. Probably B onTue am, Zumba pm. 1st special workout Thu in am/Zumba pm and 2nd on Sat. For those beyond stage 1, did you rest a week before starting stage 2? I could only do 2 sets of the squats with 40lb DB, by the third one I felt pain on the back of my left shoulder. I tried to lower the weight to 35 to do the last set but it still hurt so I decided to skip it. I did the push ups on the floor, yeah!! Challenging...

grapenut, nice guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep on dancing girl!!!! I love salsa!!!! dancing that is... LOL

thankyou4thev, I use DB for my lunges, dont have a barbell. I workout at home. I started with 15lbs but increased to 17.5 in the second set. It was kinda wobbly. I alternate between regular lunges and static ones depending on how I feel. I try to do them in perfect form but doesnt always turn out that way. I used 25lbs last time and have plans to increase the weight in my last workout and see what happens. With heavier weight I will probably do static lunges or reverse lunges next time.

Have a great one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    today was my third time of doing workout A. I did 55 pound squats today and was really proud of myself, even though i could tell i felt a little wobbly, so I think I'll stick with that weight one more session

for the step ups...so you focus more on higher steps or higher weight? I've been staying at the same height which is about knee height and upping the weight of my dumbbels, but should I be doing the opposite?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I only had one size stool so I just tried to increase my weight each time. I just ordered a bigger and taller step (The transfirmer??) so now I will try more weight and a little more height.
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I just finished reading this book today and I am freaking out. According to my calculations I have to take in 2,800 on workout days. That seems too high to me. I mean come on, I have been doing 1,300 calories and now I am supposed to jump to 2,800? I don't know how to put myself in the mind frame to do this. I am 208 lbs and I still have 50 to lose in the next 6 months. To take in that many calories seems counterproductive to me. I am going to try to suck it up and do as the authors suggested. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar feelings starting off?
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I just finished reading this book today and I am freaking out. According to my calculations I have to take in 2,800 on workout days. That seems too high to me. I mean come on, I have been doing 1,300 calories and now I am supposed to jump to 2,800? I don't know how to put myself in the mind frame to do this. I am 208 lbs and I still have 50 to lose in the next 6 months. To take in that many calories seems counterproductive to me. I am going to try to suck it up and do as the authors suggested. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar feelings starting off?

That s strange... I am 205 and my calculations have me at 2,050 on workout days (1.4 multiplier) and 1,750 on non-workout days (1.2 multiplier).
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I just ran your numbers and the 2800 cals is if you're in maintenance and on a strenuous workout day. If you're still trying to lose weight, with your age and weight you should be eating 1910 on a rest day, and 2205 with active workout. Sound better? :drinker:

Go to this link for an excel doc which works it all out for you, also has good log sheets that make following the workouts easier!!
    http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    Thank you! Someone else had suggested that I must have calculated something wrong. I am reading the book on my tablet and the font was a little small.
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    Thanks. You are right, this one sounds much better!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I just wanted to check-in and say I finished up stage 1 today! About a month late due to a a back injury, but I made it nonetheless! I loved every minute of it, except for the sciatica, which was my own fault.

See you all in Stage 2!